I Bought A Chevy Cruze

well, i don't mean any disrespect here, but in my humble opinion, chevy has an uphill climb here, its a fine car, but it's an EXPENSIVE honda civic, at best, if it is even as good as a honda civic...

Chevy's don't have a good rep here in the philippines, and i don't get who tags on their price points, way too expensive for what they are,

that's why you only see one or 2 of them around..

I've already talked about that. The Civic is a big pile of crap compared to the Cruze. The Civic is loud, cheaply made and cheap materials. The seats are awful too.

Another person who hasnt even been inside of one.

The 2012 Civic is so bad Consumer Reports has a "Dont buy" recommendation for it.

As for the Cruze in the phillipines, well, the Chevt Cruze was just named "Phillipine Car of the Year"

This comes from Top Gear Phillipines.

Also, your comments about pricing are completely wrong. My 875,000 baht Cruze SMOKED the test drive Civic I drove that was priced at well over 900,000 baht.

Edited by thaicruze

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the resale value on this car should be crap after 3 to 5 years, I'll consider a hyundai before this chevy

You may have a point there, Thais regard them as they do a Proton, they worry if they want to go back Toyhonda, they get a piss poor part ex.Jeeez im getting through to many Nescafs this morning.I must add i cant see the Styling as Orgasmic, or much different from any Asian Cad Cam.That little Audi for 12KGBP,is my idea of a Super Shopping Trolly.

People who think the Cruze is a shopping cart, have never driven it or been inside one.

Hopefully, they are not the same guys opening threads about the Fiesta. The ugliest most uncomfortable car I tried.

And yes. The Chevy Cruze was designed by GM Daewoo and Opal. No need to say this in every single post. It's a Korean car. We get it. And GM Daewoo is no more. GM renamed it to simply, GM Korea.

You guys need to get over this. Seriously. What is a Chevy Colorado? It's an Isuzu. It's basically a renamed Isuzu DMax and it is a Thai Pickup Truck. People in the US think they are buying an American pick up when they are buying an Isuzu Thai made pickup truck. Doesn't take anything away from it. It's a Chevy Colorado. Maybe a Daewoo Lacetti in Korea, but here and in the US is a Chevy Cruze. Who gives a crap?

It is manufactured in Australia, Russia, Brazil, US, Korea, China, Inida, and lucky for us, Rayong, Thailand. no 500% tax increase.

Not trying to be a salesman, just responding to people saying they don't know what's going to happen with this brand new car and it may end up forgotten.

Just saying the Cruze has been tested and proven. It's been out for almost 4 years already. It has gotten a perfect safety 5 star score in every country. People love it. Where's the doubt? The car didn't just happen out of nowhere.

Thais buy Toyota or Honda. Englishmen buy Ford Hatchbacks. What else is new? If you're an Englishman on the market for a new car, this is definitely worth a look at least. And take it out for a drive. I know it doesn't say ford and it's not a hatchback. Look. Get a magazine where they have an ad for a Ford. Cut out the Ford logo. Bring it with you. Put some scotch tale on the back and stick it on the steering wheel on top of the chevy logo.

Sorted.

Also, the "boot" as you say, is HUGE and the back seats fold all the way forward in case you need to put something big back there.

You seem to be getting awfully defensive about the car but besides a few criticisms, which can be levelled at any car, i don't think anyone is particularly attacking the product. You say it is excellent. I believe you. I don't think it looks that attractive, or all that different from the competition, and to sit in, which i confess is the most i have done, it felt to me a bit hemmed in. But, all that aside, if it's as good a drive as you say it is, it deserves to do well, and i'm sure it will on other countries. Here, i have my doubts. Many a good product has fallen on deaf ears in this neck of the woods, simply because of badge, and i see no reason why this car is going to be any different really. At the end of the day though, if you love it and are happy with the purchase, why care about that? It's good to be different from the sheep.

The Chevy badge certainly hasn't affected Chevy sales in Thailand. I see as many Captivas driving around as CRVs or Fortuners. Also I see a whole lot of Optras and Aveos everywhere. I see as many Chevys around as Mazdas or Fords.

Actually, Chevy sales are doing so well in Thailand, including Cruze sales, that they are building a second plant in addition to the Rayong plant to keep up with demand.

the resale value on this car should be crap after 3 to 5 years, I'll consider a hyundai before this chevy

If you are going to keep your car for 3 or 5 years, then get yet another Toyota or Honda.

If you are going to keep it for 10 years or more, then who cares about resale value?

The difference between a used 2005 Optra 1.6l and a 2005 Altis 1.6l is 100,000 baht.

I may get an extra 100,000 for a Civic vs the Cruze, but by the time I sell it, i would have driven a crap loud plastic cheap ass Civic that in don't enjoy. So, I would take the 100,000 baht hit 10 years from now if it means I end up driving a better car.

This is of course, speculation on your part because you have no idea what will happen to the Cruze here. By the time I sell it, t may have retained its value very well. You just don't know.

Anyway, I bought it, not you, so don't worry about it. Good luck with your Hyundai though.

I see Englishmen swearing by their Focus. Well, you can get a 2007 Ford Focus for 400,000 baht. Just saw one on One2Car selling for 409,000 baht. A 2006 full option 5 door Focus for 448,000 baht. Another Focus Sedan 2006 full options = 399,000 baht.

So much for resale values.

Edited by thaicruze

well, just to quantify the car of the year thing, we don't get a lot of cars here in MLA, plus, those covers and accolades are "bought" here.. hehehe

Doesn't matter. The Cruze has been independently praised by everyone in every country. That's the point.

The other point, Civic and Toyota are behind. They're old news. And the 2012 Civic is a disaster.

Edited by thaicruze

The Chevy badge certainly hasn't affected Chevy sales in Thailand.

Patently not true. How can any badge not have a bearing on sales?

I see as many Captivas driving around as CRVs or Fortuners.

Well then what you see is not an accurate reflection of sales. Captiva btw is another Chevy that has missed the mark on pricing.

Also I see a whole lot of Optras and Aveos everywhere.

Do you live in the Chevrolet showroom or service centre perchance?

I see as many Chevys around as Mazdas or Fords.

The first thing i can agree with.

I see Englishmen swearing by their Focus. Well, you can get a 2007 Ford Focus for 400,000 baht. Just saw one on One2Car selling for 409,000 baht. A 2006 full option 5 door Focus for 448,000 baht. Another Focus Sedan 2006 full options = 399,000 baht.

You seem to be arguing with yourself. Who in this thread has made any claim about the residuals of the Focus?

I was referring to your comment that somehow the Chevy badge has a NEGATIVE effect on sales. Drive down a road in Thailand anytime. Block out the toyotas and Hondas and you'll see plenty of Chevys around. Certainly much more than Hyundai.

Also, the Captiva is priced perfectly. Just like a CRV. But at least the Captiva has a Diesel and an E85 option, unlike crappy Honda.

Edited by thaicruze

I don't know man, i don't mean to pick an argument, but over here, you don't see a lot of cruzes and captivas on the road, and when you do, I always think "for that money, why didn't he buy a Pajero sport? or an altis, or a hyundai "

I swear for every 20 civics sold here, or altis, you probably have .25 cruzes sold, that may be a generous assesment..

that's point two five (.25)

You seem to be arguing with yourself. Who in this thread has made any claim about the residuals of the Focus?

It is impossible to compare a resale value of ANY car here in Thailand to a resale value of a Honda and Toyota. So, if we are talking about a Chevys resale value, then we compare it to the other car that comes close to a cruze which is the Focus.

The notion that a Chevy Cruze will lose all of its value and that a Hyundai will resell better is ridiculous. The Cruze will have as good a resale value as a Focus. Provided we get the same Ford Focus 2012 as in the USA. We still don't know. Maybe the same car as now with a different shell for all we know.

The Cruze is a completely new car, not a re-shelled Optra.

I don't know man, i don't mean to pick an argument, but over here, you don't see a lot of cruzes and captivas on the road, and when you do, I always think "for that money, why didn't he buy a Pajero sport? or an altis, or a hyundai "

I swear for every 20 civics sold here, or altis, you probably have .25 cruzes sold, that may be a generous assesment..

that's point two five (.25)

You aren't picking an argument. You make a good point.

Nobody can argue that. Actually, when I had the misfortune of test driving the shitty ass Civic, the sales people weren't even interested in selling it. the Honda sales guy sat in the back texting on his phone while I was driving.

The Chevy sales girl we are dealing with is excellent. She treated us like we were buying a Mercedes S Class. Honda people don't give 2 shits. That's because, as you say, they dont even have to try to sell their product. It sells itself, even though it is vastly inferior to the Cruze, for 1 Cruze my sales girl sells treating us like that, that moron at Honda sells 10 Civics texting on his phone.

Reason- not because the Civic is better, but because Thai people are like lemmings.

Also, I don't like driving a taxi, so an Altis is out of the question. The sad part is, in 10 years, the Altis will shake and rattle so loud your ears will bleed every time you stop at a stop light while my Cruze will most likely be just fine and dandy. But you bet the crappy Taxi will resale for more. I don't care. I'd rather drive the better car.

Edited by thaicruze

Holden Cruze is fast becoming one of the most popular cars in OZ now.

But I am still waiting to test drive the new civic before i go shopping.

The question apparently is, "are you wearing Tesco clothes?"

That was an amazing well thought reply.

I was referring to your comment that somehow the Chevy badge has a NEGATIVE effect on sales. Drive down a road in Thailand anytime. Block out the toyotas and Hondas and you'll see plenty of Chevys around. Certainly much more than Hyundai.

If you don't like to call it a negative effect, then call it a less positive effect than other brands. And nobody is arguing that Hyundai sells better. Hyundai also sells poorly, when compared to Honda/Toyota.

Also, the Captiva is priced perfectly. Just like a CRV. But at least the Captiva has a Diesel and an E85 option, unlike crappy Honda.

Last time i checked the starting price for the Captiva was substantially more than a Fortuner. Forget about spec, Chevy's first priority should be undercutting on price.

^

NOTHING in Thailand sells better than a Honda or a Toyota. Thai people are lemmings.

Doesn't mean they are the better cars.

It will take time for other brands to make it here. Cars get taxed 500% here, so for a long time Thais were pretty much forced to make 2 choices. Honda or Toyota. However, in recent years Thailand has become an automotive HUB for companies like GM and others to build their cars here, making buying other brands possible. It will take time, but the reign of Honda and Toyota in Thailand will eventually end.

Edited by thaicruze

^

NOTHING in Thailand sells better than a Honda or a Toyota. Thai people are lemmings.

Doesn't mean they are the better cars.

Which has been my point all along. That's the way things are and that is the way things will stay for the foreseeable future. The Cruze will have little impact on the market, no matter how wonderful it may be.

Which has been my point all along. That's the way things are and that is the way things will stay for the foreseeable future. The Cruze will have little impact on the market, no matter how wonderful it may be.

But I'll sure have fun driving it. Regardless of what the market does.

Hopefully it'll become very popular here and help by the time I sell it. Around the year 2021. That a long time. Many things can happen.

Holden Cruze is fast becoming one of the most popular cars in OZ now.

But I am still waiting to test drive the new civic before i go shopping.

The question apparently is, "are you wearing Tesco clothes?"

That was an amazing well thought reply.

A facetious reply actually, related to what someone else said. Sorry.

But I'll sure have fun driving it. Regardless of what the market does.

Hopefully it'll become very popular here and help by the time I sell it. Around the year 2021. That a long time. Many things can happen.

Many things can happen. It could be a complete lemon. Hopefully not! wink.gif

Keep us posted anyway.

A Porsche Boxter (the poor man's Porsche) costs 6 million baht in Thailand.

Price in the US= 1.8 million baht.

That's an increase of $133,000 dollars.

My Cruze LS

Thailand= 875,000 baht ($29,166)

US= 510,000 baht ($17,000)

Increase of about 72%

Edited by thaicruze

A Porsche Boxter (the poor man's Porsche) costs 6 million baht in Thailand.

Price in the US= 1.8 million baht.

That's an increase of $133,000 dollars.

The absolute maximum tax any imported car can attract is 328%, period.

And if you want a Boxster, buy it from a grey market importer and save a bundle :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

^

Great.

In the case of the Porsche, is almost 250%. Excellent. Like 3 times the price.

Might as well be 500%. Hell, why not make it 1,000%.

Point being, I don't have to pay a 250% increase on a Chevy.

Same with the Volvo. Buy it here for 3 million, sell it a year later for 800,000. This is what some are trying to say is Chevy. Boloney.

Edited by thaicruze

^

Great.

In the case of the Porsche, is almost 250%. Excellent.

Dood, you need to calm down, and stick to the facts. Making up numbers here won't get you very far.

^

Great.

Dood, you need to calm down, and stick to the facts. Making up numbers here won't get you very far.

Nobody here is making up anything.

Fact is, a Boxter here is 6 million. In the US is 1.8. 250% increase, just about. If you want to be accurate, it close to 235% increase in price. Look it up on the website.

^

Great.

Nobody here is making up anything.

Fact is, a Boxter here is 6 million. In the US is 1.8. 250% increase, just about. If you want to be accurate, it close to 235% increase in price. Look it up on the website.

Sorry, I must be reading this wrong:

Cars get taxed 500% here, so for a long time Thais were pretty much forced to make 2 choices. Honda or Toyota.

^

Great.

In the case of the Porsche, is almost 250%. Excellent. Like 3 times the price.

Same with the Volvo. Buy it here for 3 million, sell it a year later for 800,000. This is what some are trying to say is Chevy. Boloney.

Well, if you see one of this one year old Volvos for 800,000 THB send me a short notice, I'll take two right away.

If you don't like to call it a negative effect, then call it a less positive effect than other brands. And nobody is arguing that Hyundai sells better. Hyundai also sells poorly, when compared to Honda/Toyota.

Apologies for a long response... its my first post on here, a newbie. But I do have some views... trying to buy a car here for Mrs Crazy now and really like the discussions, wanted to add my voice.

1. I live in the UK most of the time; my family (uncle and now cousins) have worked for Ford for 40 years at Dagenham and thus we have family discount on the Ford models there. The last one I bought was the Focus Ghia which is a top-rated car in the UK but at 80,000 miles/130,000 kms its starting to look and feel its age. The Focus 2.0 I test drove here three days ago in Pattaya was the same model and design, just with some improved interior plastics. The showroom here is also a testament to what is in effect a down grade model/brand; the residuals here on Ford thus mean its not a good option, certainly until the new model now in the UK comes here next year. The Fiesta is a different proposition and wonderful small car to drive, but again the mechanics and build are only meant to last 100,000 miles/160,000 kms and after that it is scrap.

2. The car buyers' bible in the UK is 'What Car' and the comments made on the Cruze are to say the least derogatory (happy to share this month's copy if you want). I fully appreciate its a very good looking car and the tax effect with its new plant at Rayong do help. We're having lunch today with one of the US guys based there and he can also get a discount. But when one actually drives the Cruze (1.8 LTZ) is is really, really underpowered... so yes, it looks great but add the again appalling residuals into the equation and it doesn't make sense as anything other than a fashion statement. Finally... because this Rayong plant is still new GM are sorting out the issues and its normally the case that new manufacturing plants take some time to bed in. I agree that the Chevrolet staff here in Pattaya are going mad to try and sell it - we are being called daily by the salesman who we have dealt with - but is that really such a good thing?

3. Slight digression but Mrs Crazy has a 2006 Vios she bought second hand. We have had the odd disagreement over trivial details - I think she should only have the one husband :-) - and I have accidentally driven it into a wall a couple of times. It still drives like a gem, and the second hand guys are rubbing their hands and desperate to get hold of it even with the miles and bangs on it. I mention this because...

4. ...unless you have the money to burn, then the Japanese cars will have this time value of money benefit for some years. The supply restrictions because of the tsunami damage will only add to this effect and I don't blame the Honda - and to a lesser extent Toyota - dealerships for treating buyers like rubbish. They don't have to try... foe example we wanted to test drive a Camry and there is as muich chance of seeing one of those for a test drive as there is of a free friendship on the Beach Road. We did try the Accord in the Honda here in Pattaya and if I am honest I thought it was exceptionally good, but apparently the second-hand market is weaker for the biggest of the Japanese units.

Which brings me to the point (finally)... I'd appreciate knowing how a Cruze can really beat a Civic in terms of long-term ownership and value from running costs, through residuals, drive and to even looks? Yes, the Cruze looks lovely when you drive it out of the showroom but with everything here in Thailand after a couple of years you wake up and smell the coffee, or in this case the burning oil. Please feel free to correct me - as I said I've learned loads from this forum... all I can add to finish is that back in the UK I've also got an 11 yo Passat bought new that now gathers green mould for two months each trip yet starts first time. If they ever drop the tax then just buy a VW but until that point...

Civilly and sadly civiclly yours...