I Bought A Chevy Cruze

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for a long response... its my first post on here, a newbie. But I do have some views... trying to buy a car here for Mrs Crazy now and really like the discussions, wanted to add my voice.

<snipped>

welcomeani.gif

Welcome aboard. Interesting comments.

Apologies for a long response... its my first post on here, a newbie. But I do have some views... trying to buy a car here for Mrs Crazy now and really like the discussions, wanted to add my voice.

<snipped>

welcomeani.gif

Welcome aboard. Interesting comments.

They Love Daewoo, get one, never mind the Chevy Badge.:D

Yep I looked one over last week and it looked and felt very luxurious and had handsome and rich looking 2 tone leather interior it was clearly a top line model and I'm impressed with the American car offerings these days it's about 15 years late but finally they are competing again in the lower market segment..

For the first time in my life I'd consider buying American and any of these models being the Focus/Fiesta or Cruze and while not offered here currently Chevrolet also has a small hatch available like the Fiesta called the Sharp that looks pretty sharp, heh, pun intended.. I also appreciate that Chevy have put in the time and effort to make the Cruze competitive in motorsports too it improves the breed and it shows, in the past they've only been involved in their top end cars for decades and not given one-I-ota about the smaller car segment and it's has cost them dearly IMO and I've been protesting that move for years too as they conceded the higher volume market to the Japanese and Europeans..Good to see them fighting back finally it's clear they could do it if they applied the needed resources..

Civilly and sadly civiclly yours...

Welcome to ThaiVisa

good post :)

Welcome to ThaiVisa

good post :)

+1, WELCOME ABOARD :)

Didnt take long for another Chevy recall.. Cruze.150.000.Recalled.Steering and Transission.This lot wont recall em in Thailand i bet.!!.. Google it, see for yourself..Wait for Owners Replies Folks.:bah: .

While you're at it...Google "Honda recall" and you'll see that they have just recalled 1.5 MILLION cars to fix a transmission software related issue...The point being that cars these days are very complicated and that all brands suffer from recalls on occasion.

The Cruze is a Holden car developed in Australia and is a smaller version for the driver who doesnt want a big Commodore which are much faster, bigger engine and quite expensive. Not for the Asian market. The Cruze is a lovely car and very popular here in Perth and outshines all the competition. As stated it is a GM car so it is probably assembled in several different countries.

The Cruze is a Holden car developed in Australia and is a smaller version for the driver who doesnt want a big Commodore which are much faster, bigger engine and quite expensive. Not for the Asian market. The Cruze is a lovely car and very popular here in Perth and outshines all the competition. As stated it is a GM car so it is probably assembled in several different countries.

Clearly you have been duped by Holden's impressive marketing machine, I seriously have to give props to the people that run it, they make people believe an American company is Australian and in the past they made otherwise rubbish car seem attractive to consumers. The Cruze is car developed in Germany (or so we are told) and then built in South Korea. You take away the brand loyalty to Holden and the Cruze is just another South Korean small car and it would sell accordingly in Australia. You put a Holden badge on a decent car and hey presto its okay for the average bogan to buy and not feel like they are letting their country down.

Didnt take long for another Chevy recall.. Cruze.150.000.Recalled.Steering and Transission.This lot wont recall em in Thailand i bet.!!.. Google it, see for yourself..Wait for Owners Replies Folks.:bah: .

While you're at it...Google "Honda recall" and you'll see that they have just recalled 1.5 MILLION cars to fix a transmission software related issue...The point being that cars these days are very complicated and that all brands suffer from recalls on occasion.

Yes. Let's not forget the millions or Toyota recalls.

Cruze has had many recalls. Most of those recalls are for issues that nobody ever reported. GM is being very good about the Cruze since it's one of the most popular cars in the world.

underpowered..

name me 1 non-underpowered car in thailand? Under 2mil baht

Cruze is at the top of the list with almost 150hp

even pickups are underpowered

Bunch of benz @ 140hp.. same with bmw.. talking about power in a car here like it matters is laughable.. no car is powerfull enough at affordable to the mass prices.

Clearly you have been duped by Holden's impressive marketing machine, I seriously have to give props to the people that run it, they make people believe an American company is Australian and in the past they made otherwise rubbish car seem attractive to consumers. The Cruze is car developed in Germany (or so we are told) and then built in South Korea. You take away the brand loyalty to Holden and the Cruze is just another South Korean small car and it would sell accordingly in Australia. You put a Holden badge on a decent car and hey presto its okay for the average bogan to buy and not feel like they are letting their country down.

I thought i already went through this?

The Cruze was developed by GM Korea and Opel. It is built all around the world including Thailand, India, China, Russia, USA, Australia, South Korea, Brazil, and a couple of other countries.

Edited by thaicruze

underpowered..

name me 1 non-underpowered car in thailand? Under 2mil baht

Cruze is at the top of the list with almost 150hp

even pickups are underpowered

Bunch of benz @ 140hp.. same with bmw.. talking about power in a car here like it matters is laughable.. no car is powerfull enough at affordable to the mass prices.

Exactly

The Cruze is not underpowered. It moves very well. The 6 speed transmission is very good. The engine has a nice deep sound. When i stepped on it, it had plenty of power.

My Honda City has 88hp, 7 speed transmission. Talk about underpowered.

A bunch of people are coming on here to do the typical forum flame. Doesn't take anything away from the Cruze.

The Cruze was developed by GM Korea and Opel. It is built all around the world including Thailand, India, China, Russia, USA, Australia, South Korea, Brazil, and a couple of other countries.

Cruze was developed by Daewoo as a replacemet for Optra. Daewoo has been renamed GM Korea. In 2007/2008 when GM realised they where in deep shit, they put Opel on refining the design and decided it to become a world car.

Opel and Daewo has a long history working together, as Daewos initial models where all retired Opel designs

It will be interesting to see Cruze second hand value in Thailand. It is a very slow brand name, and they are already pushing sales with 49.000 baht down, and amazing zero down/ zero interest for Government employees. Rather early in a cars life cyclus

Patently not true. How can any badge not have a bearing on sales?

I was referring to your comment that somehow the Chevy badge has a NEGATIVE effect on sales. Drive down a road in Thailand anytime. Block out the toyotas and Hondas and you'll see plenty of Chevys around. Certainly much more than Hyundai.

If you don't like to call it a negative effect, then call it a less positive effect than other brands. And nobody is arguing that Hyundai sells better. Hyundai also sells poorly, when compared to Honda/Toyota.

1. I live in the UK most of the time; my family (uncle and now cousins) have worked for Ford for 40 years at Dagenham and thus we have family discount on the Ford models there. The last one I bought was the Focus Ghia which is a top-rated car in the UK but at 80,000 miles/130,000 kms its starting to look and feel its age. The Focus 2.0 I test drove here three days ago in Pattaya was the same model and design, just with some improved interior plastics. The showroom here is also a testament to what is in effect a down grade model/brand; the residuals here on Ford thus mean its not a good option, certainly until the new model now in the UK comes here next year. The Fiesta is a different proposition and wonderful small car to drive, but again the mechanics and build are only meant to last 100,000 miles/160,000 kms and after that it is scrap.

2. The car buyers' bible in the UK is 'What Car' and the comments made on the Cruze are to say the least derogatory (happy to share this month's copy if you want). I fully appreciate its a very good looking car and the tax effect with its new plant at Rayong do help. We're having lunch today with one of the US guys based there and he can also get a discount. But when one actually drives the Cruze (1.8 LTZ) is is really, really underpowered... so yes, it looks great but add the again appalling residuals into the equation and it doesn't make sense as anything other than a fashion statement. Finally... because this Rayong plant is still new GM are sorting out the issues and its normally the case that new manufacturing plants take some time to bed in. I agree that the Chevrolet staff here in Pattaya are going mad to try and sell it - we are being called daily by the salesman who we have dealt with - but is that really such a good thing?

3. Slight digression but Mrs Crazy has a 2006 Vios she bought second hand. We have had the odd disagreement over trivial details - I think she should only have the one husband :-) - and I have accidentally driven it into a wall a couple of times. It still drives like a gem, and the second hand guys are rubbing their hands and desperate to get hold of it even with the miles and bangs on it. I mention this because...

4. ...unless you have the money to burn, then the Japanese cars will have this time value of money benefit for some years. The supply restrictions because of the tsunami damage will only add to this effect and I don't blame the Honda - and to a lesser extent Toyota - dealerships for treating buyers like rubbish. They don't have to try... foe example we wanted to test drive a Camry and there is as muich chance of seeing one of those for a test drive as there is of a free friendship on the Beach Road. We did try the Accord in the Honda here in Pattaya and if I am honest I thought it was exceptionally good, but apparently the second-hand market is weaker for the biggest of the Japanese units.

Which brings me to the point (finally)... I'd appreciate knowing how a Cruze can really beat a Civic in terms of long-term ownership and value from running costs, through residuals, drive and to even looks? Yes, the Cruze looks lovely when you drive it out of the showroom but with everything here in Thailand after a couple of years you wake up and smell the coffee, or in this case the burning oil. Please feel free to correct me - as I said I've learned loads from this forum... all I can add to finish is that back in the UK I've also got an 11 yo Passat bought new that now gathers green mould for two months each trip yet starts first time. If they ever drop the tax then just buy a VW but until that point...

Makes absolutely no sense.

If you think a 2006 Vios POS drives like a dream, well, we know where your taste in cars is, so no need to go any further. We can ignore the rest of what you said.

But I'll bite.

My wife had a Honda Accord. 15 years old. It drove like shit. She had to fill in the radiator every day and it left her in the middle of the road overheating several times.

We traded it in when we bought my City. They gave us 190,000 baht for it.

Again, if you plan to keep your cars long, who cares about resale value?

I don't have "money to burn". I simply won't spen my money on an inferior car just because Thais love Hondas.

Cruze was developed by Daewoo as a replacemet for Optra. Daewoo has been renamed GM Korea. In 2007/2008 when GM realised they where in deep shit, they put Opel on refining the design and decided it to become a world car.

Opel and Daewo has a long history working together, as Daewos initial models where all retired Opel designs

It will be interesting to see Cruze second hand value in Thailand. It is a very slow brand name, and they are already pushing sales with 49.000 baht down, and amazing zero down/ zero interest for Government employees. Rather early in a cars life cyclus

Thank you its not an Australian car, its a car developed by Daewoo aka GM Korea and refined by Opel in Germany. The Cruze destined for Australia was built in South Korea until recently, only now is it actually being produced in Australia. Its not an Australian car as it wasnt developed in Australia for Australian conditions except some minor adjustments to the ECU for emissions and the suspension because Australain roads are crap compared with the rest of the West. The only cars that currently fit that bill are the Ford Territory, Holden Commodore and its variants, Ford Falcon and its variants and thats pretty much it.

I was making the point that it is not a car developed by Holden. Even though it is assembled in Australia now its just putting the parts together that have been sourced from South Korea.

ThaiCruze I gotta say you've definetly done your homework.

Thank you its not an Australian car, its a car developed by Daewoo aka GM Korea and refined by Opel in Germany. The Cruze destined for Australia was built in South Korea until recently, only now is it actually being produced in Australia. Its not an Australian car as it wasnt developed in Australia for Australian conditions except some minor adjustments to the ECU for emissions and the suspension because Australain roads are crap compared with the rest of the West. The only cars that currently fit that bill are the Ford Territory, Holden Commodore and its variants, Ford Falcon and its variants and thats pretty much it.

I was making the point that it is not a car developed by Holden. Even though it is assembled in Australia now its just putting the parts together that have been sourced from South Korea.

All the Cruzes I have seen have been shod with Korean Maxxis tyres. on Thai cars are they made in Thailand or Korea?

All the Cruzes I have seen have been shod with Korean Maxxis tyres. on Thai cars are they made in Thailand or Korea?

If it was built before December 2010 then its definetly a Cruze made in South Korea, after that it could be from Thailand or South Korea depending on the demand when the vehicle was purchased as currently only 10,000 Cruze's are made in Thailand per year.

For a Break in this Yawnfest. Watch.You Tube. "Alan Grice drives a Ute at Bathurst". A Great Ozzie Racer. There is a bit of a race at the start, but wait for the Interview.No Chevy Snoozes in his Day.

yawnfest on a Sunday?

yeeeze

I have cooked my fettucini to al dente and to little tomato in the bolognese, at least the wine is fine on temp :P

and i realize my GF stays 10 full days home in Isarn cause she wants us to move there, is it really possible to live up there :unsure:

how is that for a yawnfest :D

Ive been stuck in the Office all day, another Yawnfest, as for Living in Isarn, ive heard some can, its like a Cemetry with Lights.I live in the middle, thats just about passable. A Minefield of a Topic Mate.This topics bad enough.Reminds me of my love For Tuna Bashing.:drunk:

.Reminds me of my love For Tuna Bashing.:drunk:

partly bringing us back on topic. Not only Holden claims to have designed cars (Cruze), Toyota OZ claims to have designed and facelifted Fortuna while what they actually really did was to design the 2012 rear lights :lol:

BrandsBTCC_banner.jpg

Cool pic for you Mr Cruze :)

Even Cooler!!

Chevy-Cruze-WTCC-3.jpg

Except that silly Union Jack flag in the front :whistling: .. They need to get some REAL drivers though, they have a Frenchie a Swiss and a Brit, that's the only draw back to the program but it should illustrate just how good the cars are to have such second rate drivers yet and still win the WTCC Championship :D .. Also dominating so far this year too.

Edited by WarpSpeed

http://www.thaimazda2.com/webboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18967&start=18

CAR OF THE YEAR 2011

1. BEST PASSENGER CAR UNDER 1,200 CC NISSAN MARCH

2. BEST SEDAN UNDER 1,500 CC MAZDA 2 SEDAN

3. BEST HATCHBACK UNDER 1,500 CC HONDA JAZZ

4. BEST SEDAN UNDER 1,600 CC FORD FIESTA 1.6 SEDAN

5. BEST HATCHBACK UNDER 1,600 CC KIA SOUL

6. BEST SEDAN UNDER 1,800 CC CHEVROLET CRUZE 1.8

7. BEST SEDAN UNDER 2,000 CC TOYOTA COROLLA ALTIS 2.0

8. BEST SEDAN DIESEL BMW 320d

9. BEST MID-SIZE SEDAN UNDER 2,000 Cc VOLVO S60 2.0T

10. BEST MID-SIZE SEDAN UNDER 2,500 CC NISSAN TEANA 250 XV

11. BEST MID-SIZE SEDAN DIESEL BMW 525d

12. BEST LUXURY CAR MERCEDES-BENZ S500

13. BEST LUXURY CAR DIESEL BMW 730Ld

14. BEST ROADSTER BMW Z4 sDrive 23i

15. BEST SPORT COMPACT MINI COOPER S

16. BEST SPORT CONVERTIBLE MERCEDES-BENZ E250 CGI CONVERTIBLE

17. BEST SPORT HATCHBACK VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI

18. BEST SEDAN CNG TOYOTA COROLLA ADVANCED CNG

19. BEST MINI MPV HONDA FREED

20. BEST MPV TOYOTA ALPHARD

21. BEST SUV PETROL HONDA CR-V

22. BEST SUV DIESEL BMW X1 sDrive 20d

23. BEST LUXURY SUV BMW X6 xDrive 30d

24. BEST LUXURY VAN HYUNDAI GRAND STAREX

25. BEST PICKUP 2WD UNDER 2,500 CC MITSUBISHI TRITON 2.4 CNG

26. BEST PICKUP 4WD UNDER 2,500 CC NISSAN NAVARA 4WD

27. BEST PICKUP 4WD UNDER 3,200 CC CHEVROLET COLORADO Z71 3.0 CTi MAXX

28. BEST HIGH-LIFTED PICKUP 2,500 CC MITSUBISHI TRITON PLUS 2.5 VG TURBO

29. BEST PPV DIESEL 2WD ISUZU MU-7 PRIMO SUPER TITANIUM

30. BEST PPV DIESEL 4WD MITSUBISHI PAJERO SPORT 2.5 VG TURBO

รางวัล พิเศษ

31. BEST SEDAN ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY TOYOTA CAMRY 2.4 HYBRID

32. BEST HATCHBACK ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID

33. BEST FLEXIBLE ENERGY CAR MITSUBISHI LANCER EX 1.8

34. BEST PERFORMANCE 4WD SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi

35. BEST DESIGN CHEVROLET CRUZE

36. BEST SELLING CAR TOYOTA

37. BEST EXPORT CAR TOYOTA

38. BEST LIFESTYLE PICKUP ISUZU D-MAX X-Series

39. BEST SELLING REGISTERED PICKUP ISUZU D-MAX

40. BEST FUEL ECONOMY PICKUP 2,500 CC ISUZU D-MAX

41. BEST FUEL ECONOMY PICKUP 3,000 CC TOYOTA HILUX VIGO

42. BEST PERFORMANCE PICKUP MAZDA BT-50

43. BEST SELLING TYRE BRIDGESTONE

44. BEST IMPORT TYRE DUNLOP

45. BEST INSURANCE COMPANY THE VIRIYAH INSURANCE

46. BEST CAR RENTAL & SERVICES MASTER CAR RENTAL

47. BEST CAR LEASING KASIKORN LEASING

http://www.maxxis.co.th/

Maxxis has its U.S. headquarters in Suwanee, Georgia, with other U.S. facilities in California and Texas. Internationally,has facilities in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Japan, Germany, and Canada. Worldwide, Maxxis employs more than 15,000 people, with distribution in over 130 countries. 

You guys really need to get over the Korean thing.

From Wikipedia

Maxxis has manufacturing facilities in locations including Yuan Lin, Taiwan; Xiamen, China; Kunshan, China; Rayong Province, Thailand; and Vietnam.

Has nothing to do with Korea. The Cruze comes from the Plant in Rayong. Maxxis also has its manufacturing facilities in Rayong.

1+1=2

Edited by thaicruze

Now that I can post pics, here is the Cruze I test drove

c38ae1fe.jpg

cruze.jpg

For comparison, I took this picture of the Civic today. They had one at Central. The 80's called. They want their car back.

9dbc747b.jpg

And here is a Taxi Cruze. I've seen 2 already

2c33babc.jpg

Edited by thaicruze

feel like the back of my cruze is lacking something though.. only negative part..

i want to put a real mini spoiler but im scared to be a douche ricer.

Btw inside blue cloth is a lot better looking. My gf wouldnt take the LTZ because of the ugly orange, for anyone saying that the inside sucks.

261705_247594975254062_100000106833422_1153656_2885126_n.jpg

feel like the back of my cruze is lacking something though.. only negative part..

i want to put a real mini spoiler but im scared to be a douche ricer.

Btw inside blue cloth is a lot better looking. My gf wouldnt take the LTZ because of the ugly orange, for anyone saying that the inside sucks.

261705_247594975254062_100000106833422_1153656_2885126_n.jpg

In ont care for the 2 tone either. You can change that though.

Mine actually comes with cloth. I changed to all black leather. I didn't take the LT because I really don't want to pay for all those features I will never use like rain sensing and cruise control. So, I opted for the LS 1.8.