I Bought A Chevy Cruze

Now that I can post pics, here is the Cruze I test drove

c38ae1fe.jpg

cruze.jpg

For comparison, I took this picture of the Civic today. They had one at Central. The 80's called. They want their car back.

9dbc747b.jpg

And here is a Taxi Cruze. I've seen 2 already

2c33babc.jpg

With TRD stickers on the arse no less :o:lol: , only in Thailand. I guess maybe he thinks with the stickers on it it will raise his resale value? :rolleyes:

That's the interior combination I saw, it looks very classy and rich. Though the outside color was black on the one I saw and it made all the difference in style. I wish they'd have more sunroofs here though there is nothing better for cooling down the car instantly when you first get in and even better if they have a vent feature....That isn't orange, it's saddle brown and rich looking.. JFYI Rain sensing is the bees knees especially in a country with plenty of rain...

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which brings me to the point (finally)... I'd appreciate knowing how a Cruze can really beat a Civic in terms of long-term ownership and value from running costs, through residuals, drive and to even looks? Yes, the Cruze looks lovely when you drive it out of the showroom but with everything here in Thailand after a couple of years you wake up and smell the coffee, or in this case the burning oil. Please feel free to correct me - as I said I've learned loads from this forum... all I can add to finish is that back in the UK I've also got an 11 yo Passat bought new that now gathers green mould for two months each trip yet starts first time. If they ever drop the tax then just buy a VW but until that point...

Forgive me as I don't know the etiquette on this forum, being a simple Brit. What I meant to say was that the Vios - her car - has been bashed and thumped and dumoed and still runs well. Its hard to break these Japanese cars and I am not sure that is the same with the Westernized models. My company car in the UK was a BMW 523i which was a pleasant if somewhat stolid drive, but reflects what was/is my taste but BMW is not an option here and hence the final point I made was that the VW Passat was really its equal for about half the price.As you say, your money is yours, but I think as a driving experience the Cruze leaves a lot to be desired. 'What Car' is not usually wrong on these things but good luck anyway.

Which brings me to the point (finally)... I'd appreciate knowing how a Cruze can really beat a Civic in terms of long-term ownership and value from running costs, through residuals, drive and to even looks? Yes, the Cruze looks lovely when you drive it out of the showroom but with everything here in Thailand after a couple of years you wake up and smell the coffee, or in this case the burning oil. Please feel free to correct me - as I said I've learned loads from this forum... all I can add to finish is that back in the UK I've also got an 11 yo Passat bought new that now gathers green mould for two months each trip yet starts first time. If they ever drop the tax then just buy a VW but until that point...

Forgive me as I don't know the etiquette on this forum, being a simple Brit. What I meant to say was that the Vios - her car - has been bashed and thumped and dumoed and still runs well. Its hard to break these Japanese cars and I am not sure that is the same with the Westernized models. My company car in the UK was a BMW 523i which was a pleasant if somewhat stolid drive, but reflects what was/is my taste but BMW is not an option here and hence the final point I made was that the VW Passat was really its equal for about half the price.As you say, your money is yours, but I think as a driving experience the Cruze leaves a lot to be desired. 'What Car' is not usually wrong on these things but good luck anyway.

Outside of Thailand and as an extremely satisfied former owner of a Passat I fully agree with you, but here, unthinkable for me while knowing the cost of a new one and the package offered stateside as I just can't be extorted like that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Relax. They're all Asian cars. The only way you can buy an American Chevy is if you live in the USA. Isn't everything made in China anyway?

Anyway, the ride on the Cruze was excellet. Bettern than anything I tried in that price range. Miles better than a Civic, that's for sure. Or a VIOS :)

Oh and for all your praise for the VW Passat, did you know the new Passat is built in the USA? :D

There is a big difference between your Passat and the Cruze. The Cruze has been named "CAR OF THE YEAR 2011" by everyone including "Top Gear".

Let's see what top gear had to say about your Passat

Wikipedia Passat 2001 model

In the UK, Top Gear's 2005 survey rated the Passat as the third least satisfying large family car to own, with only the Fiat Marea and Rover 45 Saloon receiving a worse rating.[citation needed] It fell behind most of its crucial rivals, namely the Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectra, Citroën C5 and Peugeot 406.

So yes. Lots of difference there. :D

To answer your question about "long tern ownership", with the Cruze, time will tell right?

But ask my wife how she felt about her long term ownership of the Honda Accord because she woke up every morning to "smell the coolant".

My pictures take care of the question "how the cruze beats the Civic on looks". Even when you touch them, the Civic is feels like a tin can, Cruze feels like a rock. And as we can see from the pictures it looks better outside and the inside, well there's no comparison. The Civic is a cheap 80's design, the Cruze has an LCD screen, Bluetooth, all the technology you want, a driver's information screen that let's you know your fuel consumption, tire pressure and everything else you want to know, and as you can see, it look MUCH better and high quality. The minute you sit down inside the Cruze it's obviously higher quality than the Civic. You can see from the pic the Civic is all cheap plastics that will crack within 3 years.

My City is cracked. It cracked a few years ago right next to the radio. Honda cheap plastics.

Edited by thaicruze

Thanks to Tom Cruze instigating this Post im definately going for a City,on BHP per Ton alone,its much faster, smaller, better looking when blinged.I was quite keen before i read all the views here.God knows who developed the Engine, a Ford 2 Litre in a City would be nice.:D

Thanks to Tom Cruze instigating this Post im definately going for a City,on BHP per Ton alone,its much faster, smaller, better looking when blinged.I was quite keen before i read all the views here.God knows who developed the Engine, a Ford 2 Litre in a City would be nice.:D

I can't wait to get out of the City. Commuting 100KM per day on that after 6 1/2 years is no fun.

Basically, now, the Honday City has been renamed, the Honda Brio. I took this pic not long ago

78f960ab.jpg

and the Honda Civic has turned into a slightly bigger Honda City.

Honda Cars are crap at the moment.

Edited by thaicruze

Thaicruze

You dont even got the car and yet you try to tell people is the best car :o i think i would wait a few month to tell everybody that :)

You're jumping to conclusions. I simply said, after I (meaning ME) tried all the cars on that segment, the Cruze was the best fit for ME (meaning Me, I). And that if anyone was out to buy a new car, the Cruze is worth a look, at least. That's all.

I also said, I don't know what will happen to it 3 years from now. I said, we have to wait and see.

If you had told me I had to replace a set of 4 ignition coils on my brand new Honda City after 5 years of use, I wouldn't have believed it, but it happened. Not too long ago my Honda City was sputtering and acting weird everytime I accelerated. Well, it just so happens there is an issue with the Honda City Idsi engine. The engine heat damages the Ignition Coils. THe iDSI has 8, the Vtec has 4 so the Vtec City apparently doesn't have this issue.

This is one of the things they don't mention on the Honda City manual. It can happen to any car. Any car can be a nightmare after you buy it. You just pray that it isn't.

But yes, provided someone doesn't ban me soon for Cruze talkin' or some crap, I will keep you informed about the car. If it disappoints I will tell you, if it lives up to the promise, I will let you know also. Not many of them on the road, so some people are curious. Not necessarily for the ones who post here, but for anyone looking for this on Google, this thread will show up on a search and they can hopefully get some info.

I should be driving it next weekend, so I will take pics of everything and show how things work. Also about the ride. I may make a youtube video showing the acceleration, etc, but you have YouTube thai videos showing the acceleration already.

Edited by thaicruze

Thank you its not an Australian car, its a car developed by Daewoo aka GM Korea and refined by Opel in Germany. The Cruze destined for Australia was built in South Korea until recently, only now is it actually being produced in Australia. Its not an Australian car as it wasnt developed in Australia for Australian conditions except some minor adjustments to the ECU for emissions and the suspension because Australain roads are crap compared with the rest of the West. The only cars that currently fit that bill are the Ford Territory, Holden Commodore and its variants, Ford Falcon and its variants and thats pretty much it.

I was making the point that it is not a car developed by Holden. Even though it is assembled in Australia now its just putting the parts together that have been sourced from South Korea.

ThaiCruze I gotta say you've definetly done your homework.

All the Cruzes I have seen have been shod with Korean Maxxis tyres. on Thai cars are they made in Thailand or Korea?

http://www.maxxis.co.th/

Maxxis has its U.S. headquarters in Suwanee, Georgia, with other U.S. facilities in California and Texas. Internationally,has facilities in Taiwan, China, Thailand, Japan, Germany, and Canada. Worldwide, Maxxis employs more than 15,000 people, with distribution in over 130 countries.

You guys really need to get over the Korean thing.

From Wikipedia

Maxxis has manufacturing facilities in locations including Yuan Lin, Taiwan; Xiamen, China; Kunshan, China; Rayong Province, Thailand; and Vietnam.

Has nothing to do with Korea. The Cruze comes from the Plant in Rayong. Maxxis also has its manufacturing facilities in Rayong.

1+1=2

There was no Chevy Cruze made in Thailand until at the earliest December 2010, this information is contained on the wikipedia article for the Chevy Cruze, which references back to a news article on the Bangkok Post website. So yes they were made in South Korea up until about 9 months ago when the Rayong factory was ready and they continue to be made in South Korea if a point is reached when demand far outstrips the Rayong factories ability to supply Thailand with the Cruze.

This is the sound of the 1.8L

For the one who was saying the performance was "lacking".

He is using manual mode.

My Favorite being the 1.8 Cruze vs a 2.0 Jetta.

SO much for the VW fan in the house laugh.gif

Edited by thaicruze

BrandsBTCC_banner.jpg

Cool pic for you Mr Cruze :)

Even Cooler!!

Chevy-Cruze-WTCC-3.jpg

Except that silly Union Jack flag in the front :whistling: .. They need to get some REAL drivers though, they have a Frenchie a Swiss and a Brit, that's the only draw back to the program but it should illustrate just how good the cars are to have such second rate drivers yet and still win the WTCC Championship :D .. Also dominating so far this year too.

So where are the real drivers going to come from?

The only other car, other than a 2012 Focus, that is similar, is the brand new Sonata Sport. Excellent, but 1.8 million for a Huyndai in Thailand is crazy.

However, the head room in the Cruze is way better in the back seat. I've seen 1 next to my house.

All flaming aside, this is a very fair review from Consumer Reports. As he is talking you can get an idea of how quiet it is inside. He even mentions it. Very impressive.

It's a test of the US model. Completely different engine, and interior features. And price. :/

All flaming aside, this is a very fair review from Consumer Reports. As he is talking you can get an idea of how quiet it is inside. He even mentions it. Very impressive.

It's a test of the US model. Completely different engine, and interior features. And price. :/

indeed it is

Opels 1,4T is a great engine

In thailand it only comes with Daewo engines

as for Cruze safety/crash tests, be aware Thai Cruze is a much lower spec

What I do like about the Cruze, is the big car feel and interior, especially the dash and 2 tone leather seats. But rear seat legroom is less than a tiny City. and 998k baht is almost 100k above the others

hmmm, I said it was a tough sell, and looking at this forum, I don't think a lot of us have changed our minds,

What is Chevy thinking?

even if toyota or honda do have recalls, as most big auto makers do and will in their lifetimes, I would certainly trust the competence and reputation of a Honda or Toyota dealership before a Chevy dealer... any day...

Just my humble opinion

Yo Ho KBB,you must stop these indisputable facts.I never realized the Brio was a replacement City. Therefore the March, is a replacement Nissan Sunny.What started of as a Debate, hes turned into despera bun fight. Quote.Don't want to drive a Taxi, then posts a Picture of one in Bkk. Love the Seats, and is already changing them.The Sales Folk at Chevy are desperate if they are Discounting and Fleet Selling already. Honda discourage Taxi Sales,and don't offer a Base Car to any sector. As he stated, dont want to drive a Taxi, perhaps the G.F. will change his mind now. Tom, nice try, nice Car but you've gone OTT.Get a Proton, Malaysia's No 1 Taxi with a proven engine.As for the Flag on the Race Car,they couldn't find the Korean one.Maters not the ENGLISH Flag of St George wasn't used..In fact old George could have found plenty of Dragons to slay here.Hope my Range Rover will start now.:burp: .

Yo Ho KBB,you must stop these indisputable facts.I never realized the Brio was a replacement City. Therefore the March, is a replacement Nissan Sunny.What started of as a Debate, hes turned into despera bun fight. Quote.Don't want to drive a Taxi, then posts a Picture of one in Bkk. Love the Seats, and is already changing them.The Sales Folk at Chevy are desperate if they are Discounting and Fleet Selling already. Honda discourage Taxi Sales,and don't offer a Base Car to any sector. As he stated, dont want to drive a Taxi, perhaps the G.F. will change his mind now. Tom, nice try, nice Car but you've gone OTT.Get a Proton, Malaysia's No 1 Taxi with a proven engine.As for the Flag on the Race Car,they couldn't find the Korean one.Maters not the ENGLISH Flag of St George wasn't used..In fact old George could have found plenty of Dragons to slay here.Hope my Range Rover will start now.:burp: .

and i will take the black Tuna for a spin :D

Thaicruze

You dont even got the car and yet you try to tell people is the best car :o i think i would wait a few month to tell everybody that :)

You're jumping to conclusions. I simply said, after I (meaning ME) tried all the cars on that segment, the Cruze was the best fit for ME (meaning Me, I). And that if anyone was out to buy a new car, the Cruze is worth a look, at least. That's all.

I also said, I don't know what will happen to it 3 years from now. I said, we have to wait and see.

If you had told me I had to replace a set of 4 ignition coils on my brand new Honda City after 5 years of use, I wouldn't have believed it, but it happened. Not too long ago my Honda City was sputtering and acting weird everytime I accelerated. Well, it just so happens there is an issue with the Honda City Idsi engine. The engine heat damages the Ignition Coils. THe iDSI has 8, the Vtec has 4 so the Vtec City apparently doesn't have this issue.

This is one of the things they don't mention on the Honda City manual. It can happen to any car. Any car can be a nightmare after you buy it. You just pray that it isn't.

But yes, provided someone doesn't ban me soon for Cruze talkin' or some crap, I will keep you informed about the car. If it disappoints I will tell you, if it lives up to the promise, I will let you know also. Not many of them on the road, so some people are curious. Not necessarily for the ones who post here, but for anyone looking for this on Google, this thread will show up on a search and they can hopefully get some info.

I should be driving it next weekend, so I will take pics of everything and show how things work. Also about the ride. I may make a youtube video showing the acceleration, etc, but you have YouTube thai videos showing the acceleration already.

Don't entertain the trolls Cruz what you stated earlier was clear to most, some here are just too slow to digest the worthwhile arguments you've presented and have no worthy argument against it so they move the goal posts and start a trolling exercise as a distraction, they try to do it with me all the time....

There's no reason for you to be banned for your enthusiasm for the car you plan to purchase? Or even one you just favor over others.. Another poster altering your nik to another potentially derogatory nik though is considered a no no here as I've been mistaken and chastised for doing so in the past though I hadn't and the post was re-posted..

and i will take the black Tuna for a spin :D

Can you take a Tuna out without a Spin in the Rainy Season.:D .:jap:

This is the sound of the 1.8L

For the one who was saying the performance was "lacking".

He is using manual mode.

My Favorite being the 1.8 Cruze vs a 2.0 Jetta.

SO much for the VW fan in the house laugh.gif

Now you're argument is starting to move the goal posts too as there is no way to know what mods have been made on those 2 cars and obviously some has been done not to mention the drivers ability as he lost the race on the start line as his wheels were pointing right when he launched and he had to correct besides leaving later the list of variables is too long to list how were they launched? Was it even a fair start?? No official way to know if the Chevy's time or win was allowed or not? Did he leave early? Yada yada..

Few people here even know how to properly mod up a watercooled VW with anything except a chip in the computer but how old is that Jetta compared to the obviously newer Cruze? It has a modded up front end but the headlights and roof line give it away as a 2000 model or therebouts. I'm certain VW technology has moved forward a fair bit since then and anyways I can personally vouch for the fact that ALL previous VW's here are bottom end performance spec engine and transaxle wise to be competitive price wise. They all have bottom end parts (not in quality but performance rating) such as gearing and final drive ratio's for example which is necessary when a car is making more power to use it properly. They don't make as much power since other things like the intake are different and the entire head is different spec which is what produces a large percentage of a cars power in how the air flows through it and fuel is mixed. Then there's the cheap fuel injection units here which are, well, just to run the car with no performance in mind what-so-ever and that includes the ECU.. Try that same demo with both cars current models, unmodified and equal drivers in either Euro spec Jettas or even American spec and you'll see a far different result..

Edited by WarpSpeed

BrandsBTCC_banner.jpg

Even Cooler!!

Chevy-Cruze-WTCC-3.jpg

Except that silly Union Jack flag in the front :whistling: .. They need to get some REAL drivers though, they have a Frenchie a Swiss and a Brit, that's the only draw back to the program but it should illustrate just how good the cars are to have such second rate drivers yet and still win the WTCC Championship :D .. Also dominating so far this year too.

Spain, Germany, Russia maybe even Thailand or China? Any one of those has better offerings and that doesn't even factor in a really first rate American driver :D ..

Yes TC's argument is going off the rails he's beginning to lose me with his lack of consistency, comparing a 10 year old bottom spec VW with a standard 8 valve engine (2.0 or not) with a new Cruze 1.8l with advanced multi-valve engine technology is really quite silly, I suspect it's his genes kicking in :whistling: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

BrandsBTCC_banner.jpg

Even Cooler!!

Chevy-Cruze-WTCC-3.jpg

Spain, Germany, Russia maybe even Thailand or China? Any one of those has better offerings and that doesn't even factor in a really first rate American driver :D ..

Don't see any winning yanks in F1, the big money and skill. :rolleyes:

Edited by transam

Even Cooler!!

Chevy-Cruze-WTCC-3.jpg

Don't see any winning yanks in F1, the big money and skill. :rolleyes:

That's more about not wanting to succumb to paying the extortion money required to override the bigotry and discrimination of a Eurpoean series that holds no marketing value to the US. F1 is not about talent with a very few exceptions and the sooner you understand that the better off your life will be.. Touring cars however which is/was the topic until you moved the goal posts that's a whole different set of factors even if still money motivated over talent as is ALL motorsports (meaning it's big business and the driver with the most funding and nepotism backing him/her is the one who gets the drive regardless of talent, see Danica Patrick for one good example) a driver can at least afford to get his chance to make his impression in some cases in touring cars but the series in the States offer all the competition required to have a productive career so very little need to buck the same bigotry and discrimination to compete in the WTCC when the State side series are in many ways superior and more affordable not requiring expensive logistical International travel..

Americans don't need to have their ego's stroked like the Euro's do so being the best in a series like F1 or WTCC doesn't appeal to them but when ever a Euro comes to compete in the states it's good competition with give and take not the same in the opposite direction however as the Euros feel too much threat in their own series so keep it to themselves..

I suspect you don't even know names like Bobby Rahal, Johnny O'Connell, Dorsey Schroedor, John Morton, Tommy Kendall, Bill Auberlen, Scott Pruett, Randy Pobst, TC Kline, Peter Cunningham or even Paul Newman when he was in his prime. Any one of these guys has and does take it to any Euros who either come to the states or when they travel to Europe for races like the Lemans 24 hours in which the US has many drivers of note who to their credit have won a real racers race..

BTW since you moved the goal posts so far I'll even play your game and play to your strength & ask you how many Europeans have won the NHRA Championship and compete on a regular basis in that series, arguably the F1 of drag racing world wide..Same same..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just saw a new yellow cruze taxi yesterday. Didn't look too bad!!

Honda City?

Hahaha

That's what I drive now. It's absolute crap compared to the Cruze.

You just lost all credibility.

Chevy Cruze, LOL, I slaughtered one only this morning in my Fortuner, maybe he wasn't trying, maybe he was a Farang and was crapping himself thinking I was a big bad Thai guy, after all, they're all out to get you ain't they, he couldn't see that high up and I couldn't be bothered to look down upon him. :)

My wifes Honda City is great, probably like the Cruze, its a great girls car.

Enjoy your beast. :)

Edited by MrsMills

Honda City?

Hahaha

That's what I drive now. It's absolute crap compared to the Cruze.

You just lost all credibility.

Chevy Cruze, LOL, I slaughtered one only this morning in my Fortuner, maybe he wasn't trying, maybe he was a Farang and was crapping himself thinking I was a big bad Thai guy, after all, they're all out to get you ain't they, he couldn't see that high up and I couldn't be bothered to look down upon him. :)

My wifes Honda City is great, probably like the Cruze, its a great girls car.

Enjoy your beast. :)

Enjoy your penis compensation.

Every men in my gym with a fortuner has shown proudly their little 3-4inchers.

Same as the car, large for thailand yet so little under the hood.

srsly..