Best Place To Live In Isaan?

toenail

In the future (when I retire from my job in Thailand) I wish to go to Isaan to live since it will be more quiet, less expensive, and I like the Isaan people. I have been to a couple cities in Isaan and am wondering which city would be the "best" one to live at. As a Westerner, I still need some decent Western restaurants, a shopping center (Big C, Tesco..) and access to an airport. So, which city do you veiwers suggest? -Advantages...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best place and city life aren't always conducive......for some.

I believe it would be extremely difficult for those out there attempting to extend suggestions to where you might be comfortable, as there will be a multitude of variables, experiences and situations that surely differ from the next. Well intended as they might be, you'll get a score of responses......many wondering why folks, such as yourself, inquire about such a rhetorical situation that leads nowhere.

Best to take some time and explore the broader region for yourself. 4-5 months should suffice. You should be able to secure your utopia by then.....or perhaps not.

Best of luck to you.

I believe it would be extremely difficult for those out there attempting to extend suggestions to where you might be comfortable, as there will be a multitude of variables, experiences and situations that surely differ from the next. Well intended as they might be, you'll get a score of responses......many wondering why folks, such as yourself, inquire about such a rhetorical situation that leads nowhere.

Best to take some time and explore the broader region for yourself. 4-5 months should suffice. You should be able to secure your utopia by then.....or perhaps not.

Best of luck to you.

zzaa, I agree with you!!!!!!

The OP has asked a good question and one that interest me! if i had my way i would live in jomtiem but the wife wants isaan to live, if so i want to live with lots to do! 0h and a good airport for a day release to bkk rolleyes.gif

Edited by malct

Malct, by the time you've driven to an airport in Isaan, exited Suvarnabhumi, you would have driven there quicker.

This is well understood and should be considered the prospective newbie Isaan dweller that finds themselves in a lifestyle that are commuting or travelling frequently. It's quite convenient if you happen to live 20-30 minutes from the limited commercial airports that are civilizingly far and few between.....the broader Isaan region takes up a decent chunk of real estate and 7 out of ten instances, one won't be close to any of the [what? 4-5?] chosen departure points. The time it would take to transfer oneself from rural Sisaket, Surin, Yasothon, Mukdahan, Mahasarakham, Kalasin, Amnat Charoen, etc to a commercial airport venue, you could have easily stepped onto a regular serviing train or coach - all which are served quite adequately.

Even if one doesn't have the inclination, nor owns a four-wheeled vehicle, to drive these distances....long-distance taxis are as possible as any deal you want to make. Many do this with frequent transits to Swampy. It's not truly that expensive, in fact a long-haul taxi might be an overall better value than the time, energy, and b_ullshit that you have to deal with when flying.

Edited by zzaa09

As for something to do ? If you have an active mind you'll be okay. :)

Of course.

This has been discussed, debated, and argued ad naseum throughout TV for ages.

The proposed active mind for most usually has to be reinvented to suit ones stimulus level and living situation. And every instance, ondividual, and existence will differ from the next. It's a very very familiar few that can go bush finding ease and comfort in their surroundings. The predictable yearn for inter-acting with "like-minded" communities, ingrained Western conveniences, the proverbial "home" foods, language ignorance, etc draws the usual expectations for any such manufactured lifestyle.

It's not so much the activity, yet what one is willing to accept and enjoy for an active mind.

I would give Udonthani as 1st choice.Need to go check it out.And 2nd choice would be Khonkaen.Also spend some time there.My 3rd choice and I will probably end up building A house there is Korat.But the airport isn't near.These 3 places have nice shopping malls,they have tesco's Big C etc.

I would give Udonthani as 1st choice.Need to go check it out.And 2nd choice would be Khonkaen.Also spend some time there.My 3rd choice and I will probably end up building A house there is Korat.But the airport isn't near.These 3 places have nice shopping malls,they have tesco's Big C etc.

Korat is prone to flooding and has traffic conjestion !! I live 110km from there. That's close enough. Each to thier own. ;)

after travelling to the north,south,east and west of los i visited my sis.law.in korat,there and then my wife and me decided this is the place,has tesco,big c.makro and a few others,some good super stores,i can just about get anything.korat is prone to flooding in places so do your homework.good services to bkk.3-4hrs.immigration 15min.

My view is that nobody can say what is best for somebody else, so I would group the cities as follows;

Group 1 --- Khon Kaen and Udon Thani

Group 2 ---- Nong Khai, Korat, Buriram, and maybe Surin, Sisaket, Ubon Ratchathani.

Group 3 ---- basically the rest -- lots to choose from.

We live between Udon Thani and Loei. Having traveled around Isaan quite a bit, I prefer Loei to all other locales. They recently opened a Tesco Lotus there so the shopping improved greatly with that addition.

The surrounding countryside is quite lovely, the weather is cooler year round, the highways are good, the infrastructure is good and well maintained and the traffic is less than nothing when compared to Udorn, Khon Kaen, Korat.

There is a 9 hole golf course at the Army base.

I doubt if there is a large farang community, although I do see a few of them from time to time in Lotus. There is a decent hospital with western standards in Loei as well.

Housing prices seem to be more reasonable than most other cities.

toenail i live in Uttaradit but have traelled through Issan and would never leave this area for there even though we dont have a big c here we do have the tesco which is ok and airports only an hour away,the choice is yours but if you dont have a thai wife g/f i would suggest travelling the country before deciding where to live

Based on the things the OP said he was looking for, I'd agree that Khon Kaen and/or Udon might be a good fit.... Airport, mall, some level of western community and stuffs....

Korat probably has close to the same level of creature comforts... Has the advantage of being closer and easier travel to BKK, but the disadvantage of late of flooding and such issues...

Loei is a beautiful place... though probably lower on the western creature comforts and familiar things scale.

That's not to say other places in Isaan aren't nice and have various things to recommend them... But I'm commenting in the context of what the OP called out as his priorities.

Look ,I am going to be slightly facetious. Get yourself a nice lady friend, and she will tell you you the best place to live is. That is how most of us have ended up ,where we are. He,he ,We did not decide. The decision was made for us.!!!!Simplest solution.And the vast majority of us are definitely NOT unhappy. Quite the converse.Have fun.!!!! Say no more.!!!

Edited by afarang

I haven't been in Thailand for that long (around 9-10 months) but imo either Khon Kaen or Roi Et would suit you well, depending on what you're after

Both have airports.

Both have quite a lot of other farang

Both are reasonably nice cities, although kk is significantly larger, so has nicer shopping malls etc but also more traffic etc aswell

Although imo travel around for a few months, spend maybe a week or so in each province in Isaan and see which one you like the most.

Best of luck to you.

Oh my Buddha ! - So do I :o

Look ,I am going to be slightly facetious. Get yourself a nice lady friend, and she will tell you you the best place to live is. That is how most of us have ended up ,where we are. He,he ,We did not decide. The decision was made for us.!!!!Simplest solution.And the vast majority of us are definitely NOT unhappy. Quite the converse.Have fun.!!!! Say no more.!!!

Not at all facetious. I agree entirely. i would not be in Isaan if it were not for my partner.

If I were ever NOT to be with my partner, then I would not be in Isaan.

If I was coming to Thailand, and I did not have a partner, I would go to Chaing Mai

Best of luck to you.

Oh my Buddha ! - So do I :o

I do too, but I didn't want to admit it before a consensus was formed.

We live between Udon Thani and Loei. Having traveled around Isaan quite a bit, I prefer Loei to all other locales. They recently opened a Tesco Lotus there so the shopping improved greatly with that addition.

The surrounding countryside is quite lovely, the weather is cooler year round, the highways are good, the infrastructure is good and well maintained and the traffic is less than nothing when compared to Udorn, Khon Kaen, Korat.

There is a 9 hole golf course at the Army base.

I doubt if there is a large farang community, although I do see a few of them from time to time in Lotus. There is a decent hospital with western standards in Loei as well.

Housing prices seem to be more reasonable than most other cities.

I still live in Australia but the wife is from Loei and that is where we will eventually settle.

Loei is a great place and I am looking forward to our next trip there, but if I had a choice it would be Udon Thani.

It has everything you need

Best of luck to you.

Very well said zzaa09. Copy and pasting your response in several posts would do this forum justice.

I can't believe some of the questions posted; "where should I live", "what should I eat", "how much to build a house", etc., etc.,

Some people have no sense of adventure and the internet has made alot of people lazy and unimaginative.

Best of luck to you.

Da,,,, the question was "what do you think is the best place to live in Issan"... Edited by dplast

Best of luck to you.

Da,,,, the question was "what do you think is the best place to live in Issan"...

Da,,,,, and your contribution is......... what ?

well it depends on which type of farang u want to mix with in my area there are lets say well lets not go there im sure u know what i mean as issan attracts most of them.Im afraid issan as a hole is the same full of farmer giles and drunks and ..... if u like that then u will be at home anywhere.