Interviews At The British Embassy.

It appears that in an attempt to cut down the ever-burgeoning backlog at the British embassy, they've actually decided to address the problem.

Here's the press release:-

Interview dates

Non-settlement - We now aim to decide the majority of applications on the day they apply. It is therefore important that applicants make sure that the applications are fully documented at the time they submit as they will not normally be called back for interview at a later date.

Settlement - The latest date for interview is currently at the end of February, but we will be increasing the number of settlement interviews in November and December so that the queue should be a maximum of 2 months by the end of October.

British Embassy Bangkok

26 October 2005

Scouse.

With respect, Scouse, what, if anything, is new here?

Visit visa applications, if accompanied by all the relevant documents and if those documents have shown that the application meets the criteria, have always been issued on the same day. Indeed, Jane Lacey-Smith told me 5 years ago that 95% of visit visas are issued on the same day. Unfortunately my then fiance (now wife) wasn't one of the 95% :o . But last year her son was! :D

I suspect that this is mere puff from the Embassy to stem criticism over waiting times.

My interpretation is that they are going to attempt to deal with 100% of non-settlement applications on the day. Therefore, there will no longer be a 10-12 week wait for the interview, for those who require one.

I have seen this new system in action, having received an e-mail from someone whose girlfriend applied, was given a tier 3 (full interview), and refused, all on the same day. Previously, there would have been a gap between lodging the application and having a tier 3 interview.

Scouse.

Having read this thread I e-mailed the visa support officer dealing with my fiancee's visa application (submitted in July) to enquire if her interview date had been changed. After about 10 days I received an e-mail from said CSO inviting me to call the visa section at the British Embassy to arrange to bring the interview forward although the Embassy staff had not themselves changed the date.

I duly telephoned as requested. When I was put through, I spoke to the same VSO with whom I had been in e-mail contact.

He was very courteous and appreciated that I was telephoning from Blighty. He immediately offered a new interview date 2 weeks hence! In fact he had several dates and times he could offer. We settled on a date that was convenient to the Embassy, my fiancee and I. I had a choice of 5 interview times on that day!

I have e-mailed the VSO to thank him for the courteous manner in which he dealt with my enquiry - it can't do any harm and may even help!

It also looks like the outsourcing activity of the administration side of applications, seems to be working.

The outsourcing hasn't started as yet. I can only think that the visa section has been given more staff in order to get the waiting lists down in readiness.

Hi Scouse I was at the Embassy last week applying for our nannys visa I have a few questions to ask would you mind if i did it by PM.

Yes, that's fine.

Scouse.

What's the latest on waiting times does anyone know?

Interested in a 6 month tourist visa for TG to come to England. Also when it is granted how long is it valid for before you come to England? If say it is granted in January and she doesn't visit till March will it be reduced by 3 months or does it only start the moment you leave Thailand?

Thanks in advance

As Scouse says in his OP, they are endeavouring to deal with non-settlement applications on the day of application.

All visas are valid from the date of issue, not on first UK entry. Settlement visas can be post-dated for up to three months, but I'm not sure about visit visas. Scouse?