How To Catch The Big Ones

DonaldBattles

They're probably too well fed Don, people in your type of restaurant tend to throw table scraps to the fish.

They tend to be territorial though, they may attack a big chunky lure trolled through their territory.

(Much the same as some of the big fish here attack outsiders that get too cheeky...). :lol:

What type of fish do you have in your lakes Don? I have been known to land the odd big one. I have mainly fished at Khieng Doi where the most prolific fish is 'Pla Sawai' (striped catfish) I have caught them upto 12 Kilos and Mekong River Catfish upto 38 kilos, although there are bigger ones in there. The method used there is a crude feeder method of bread flake on the hook and a ball of bread based ground bait squeezed around the ledger. If you want me to show you this method, then let me know. I have all my my own gear.

Cheers

ImageDude B)

Edited by ImageDude

What type of fish do you have in your lakes Don? I have been known to land the odd big one. I have mainly fished at Khieng Doi where the most prolific fish is 'Pla Sawai' (striped catfish) I have caught them upto 12 Kilos and Mekong River Catfish upto 38 kilos, although there are bigger ones in there. The method used there is a crude feeder method of bread flake on the hook and a ball of bread based ground bait squeezed around the ledger. If you want me to show you this method, then let me know. I have all my my own gear.

Cheers

ImageDude B)

Master Fisherman ImageDude is the man for you Don, by the way he has a big appetite that might well need satisfying!

Edited by metisdead
Font.

I use store bought bait mixed with water into balls, fish pellets mixed with hot water and then put on the hook to look like fish food, chicken livers, shrimp and you name it without success in catching the big ones. We have catfish, pla nin, pla tap tim and pla chon. The fish have been in the lake about 10 years and reproduce fast. There is no problem in catching the small ones. I feed them pellets every other day which is getting expensive. I have two lakes that cover about 3 Rai altogether. Our restaurant dinning sala sits between the lakes. Customers do feed them bread from time to time. Sure wish I had some of those striped cat fish. I have never seen one. Thanks for your help.

I use store bought bait mixed with water into balls, fish pellets mixed with hot water and then put on the hook to look like fish food, chicken livers, shrimp and you name it without success in catching the big ones. We have catfish, pla nin, pla tap tim and pla chon. The fish have been in the lake about 10 years and reproduce fast. There is no problem in catching the small ones. I feed them pellets every other day which is getting expensive. I have two lakes that cover about 3 Rai altogether. Our restaurant dinning sala sits between the lakes. Customers do feed them bread from time to time. Sure wish I had some of those striped cat fish. I have never seen one. Thanks for your help.[/size]

One other mothed, try lunchem meat cut into small cubes, i'm sure you will get a bite.

Good luck.

I use store bought bait mixed with water into balls, fish pellets mixed with hot water and then put on the hook to look like fish food, chicken livers, shrimp and you name it without success in catching the big ones. We have catfish, pla nin, pla tap tim and pla chon. The fish have been in the lake about 10 years and reproduce fast. There is no problem in catching the small ones. I feed them pellets every other day which is getting expensive. I have two lakes that cover about 3 Rai altogether. Our restaurant dinning sala sits between the lakes. Customers do feed them bread from time to time. Sure wish I had some of those striped cat fish. I have never seen one. Thanks for your help.[/size]

so what do you plan to do with the big ones if/when you catch them? cook them?

I like the idea of a fishing contest if I could keep people from throwing their trash in the water and killing the small ones by jerking the hook out of their mouths. I have talked with others about this. I would think that we could do the following:

1. Have each person put in 100 Baht. All of the money would then be donated to the House of Union around the corner for the Lahu Hill Tribe kids to finish one of their buildings. Now we allow them to catch some fish to feed to the children. (Ron and Debbie would help with this)

2. A special price donated by me for the largest catch in the 4 different species.

3. A big fish fry after 4 pm put on by us using the fish caught. Make a small payment to cover the cost of the things served with the fish and a tip for the staff.

Don,

As a fisheries/aquatic biologist, I did my research for my thesis relating to fisheries issues and the way we did fish counts and identification, was by electro-fishing....shocking them. Now, mind you we used state-of-the art electro fishing equipment, and legally I might add...as it was through a University and for research. A very small charge stuns, while a strong one will kill them, obviously. However, the larger the fish, the more surface area it has to receive the shock and the more apt they will be the first ones to float up to the top of the water. They will all float up and if left alone, pending the use of a low charge, they will "sleep it off" so to speak and then be on their merry way. The right charge and you only stun them. My brother in law has a battery device he uses to fish with at night but not sure of how regulated, electrically that is, if at all. Perhaps there is some electronics person that might have experience in modifying something for this. I remember tales of long ago, prior to game law enforcement back stateside, where they would "phone them up", using an old crank telephone, which is just a small manual generator. Having been to your place, I see where you would need to fashion a boom of sorts to get the probes out in the middle or deep part of your ponds. And you would need a long handled net or small boat for retrieving the stunned fish. Food for thought. PM me if you have questions about this. ett

I like the idea of a fishing contest if I could keep people from throwing their trash in the water and killing the small ones by jerking the hook out of their mouths. I have talked with others about this. I would think that we could do the following:

1. Have each person put in 100 Baht. All of the money would then be donated to the House of Union around the corner for the Lahu Hill Tribe kids to finish one of their buildings. Now we allow them to catch some fish to feed to the children. (Ron and Debbie would help with this)

2. A special price donated by me for the largest catch in the 4 different species.

3. A big fish fry after 4 pm put on by us using the fish caught. Make a small payment to cover the cost of the things served with the fish and a tip for the staff.

Sounds good, do you have any spare rods?

Edited by metisdead
Font

I've participated in a catfishing contest in Chiang Mai. 100 thb to enter. It was tons of fun. I was eating my catch, thanks to a friend, while I was still fishing. The best I had since a visit to an all -you-can-eat-pond on the premises catfish/hushpuppie place in Sylvester, Georgia in 1982. I think the winner of the tournament landed a 2.5 KG, but those 800 g ones were more prevalent and so tasty. I have cravings for that green sauce they give you with the fish in Thailand.

These are the salted, grilled fish for sale in San Pa Tong...39thb, 49thb, 59thb from 2007. Real good.

post-37570-0-26562300-1313001052_thumb.j

I am in the process of cleaning up my fishing tackle. I bout 2 new Diawai reels yesterday. I will have a total of 3 rods and reels. I like for customers to come and fish free as the lakes are over populated. Bought a lot of dry bait for mixing.

I am a former bass fisherman from Georgia. We know how to make Catfish and Hushpuppies at Don's Cafe in Chiang Rai. We also have a great fish and chip dish using Dory Ocean Fish. Stop by and ask me for a free drink. I need your fishing advice.[/size]

<email deleted>

Cell 081 894 6401

Edited by metisdead
Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems.

This school is just around the corner from us. I have known the managers who are Thai for a long time and I see nothing but good work in helping kids get an education. There are no active farangs involved in the operation. They have their own pigs, fish pond, garden and chickens they raise to feed to the kids. You should come by and I will take you for a visit and you can decide for yourself. These kids go to schools in town during the day. Their parents visit them on the weekends and have a small guest house they stay in.

I am a former bass fisherman from Georgia. We know how to make Catfish and Hushpuppies at Don's Cafe in Chiang Rai. We also have a great fish and chip dish using Dory Ocean Fish. Stop by and ask me for a free drink. I need your fishing advice.[/size]

<email deleted>

Cell 081 894 640

Ditto a bass bass fisherman and used mostly brown rooster tails (for trout), 1/4 ounce yellow with white tail jigs, and the best lure I ever used was a red/white striped daredevil. Did not like artificial worms or the patience just doing it slowly with that or real worms. Wife likes panfish and the jigs were the best. The jig and the red/white spoon were for my bass. The rooster tails were for trout.

Anyway, took those lures to a private lake near Dok kahm tai and Lake Phayao last Febuary/March. Also a small stream with small fish across the street from my home there. No clue what was there and how to catch. The red/white daredevil did catch some large ones in Lake Phayao/private lake and the jigs caught some of the little fish in that stream.My family must have had at least 15 poles with that big chuck of whatever dough they use and I caught more.

Needless to say, I think a great idea to have a fishing outing sometimes at your place. My whole Thai family would enjoy that the most along with the get together at the end of the month's food fest. Unless I am blacklisted by the Phayao pizza thread. I did not say anything wrong but was attacked. I do not post much anymore because that was not the 1st time. See you in Feb/Mar time frame. I also plan on bringing again my Waring Pro meat grinder to make some fresh sausage. http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0000CEURE

Do you sell casings?

Edited by ginooooo

Don,

As a fisheries/aquatic biologist, I did my research for my thesis relating to fisheries issues and the way we did fish counts and identification, was by electro-fishing....shocking them. Now, mind you we used state-of-the art electro fishing equipment, and legally I might add...as it was through a University and for research. A very small charge stuns, while a strong one will kill them, obviously. However, the larger the fish, the more surface area it has to receive the shock and the more apt they will be the first ones to float up to the top of the water. They will all float up and if left alone, pending the use of a low charge, they will "sleep it off" so to speak and then be on their merry way. The right charge and you only stun them. My brother in law has a battery device he uses to fish with at night but not sure of how regulated, electrically that is, if at all. Perhaps there is some electronics person that might have experience in modifying something for this. I remember tales of long ago, prior to game law enforcement back stateside, where they would "phone them up", using an old crank telephone, which is just a small manual generator. Having been to your place, I see where you would need to fashion a boom of sorts to get the probes out in the middle or deep part of your ponds. And you would need a long handled net or small boat for retrieving the stunned fish. Food for thought. PM me if you have questions about this. ett

Now you didn't hear this from me OK!!! But, a standard door bell transformer with push button, 2 leads out into deep water, push the bell for dinner!!!!!

I used to fish a lot with lures in Australia, mainly in salt water.

Many times when fish would not look at bait they would attack a lure. I suspect more out of anger than hunger.

Probably not a good time now anyway, the water would be very muddy from rain run-offs but you could try something large that splashes around close to the surface.

I'm sure you Georgia bass fishermen know what I'm talking about.

Do they eat small dogs? That could be an add-on business - bring the yapping furry terrors (or terriers) to your place and drop 'em in the lake. If used for bait, tie a line to their tails. Make sure the fish fully ingest the yappers before disposing of the fish.

Its been raining Cats and Dogs here in Perth Western Australia for the past two weeks but had a fine day today so off we went to catch some big ones. Left home at 4.30 am and drove 70 klm to a great spot on the south coast to catch Herring(yes I know they arent really big). Bloody freezing but it was worth it as we came away with 48 nice size Herrings. LT caught 43 and "His Largeness" only 5. We will return to Hong Au in early Feb so hope there are some left at Dons to catch while sipping on a cold Leo.