Vientiane Report (Non-Imm B)

Background story

My wife came to Thailand to teach in a local University and the Thai Embassy in our home country gave her the Non-Imm "ED" visa instead of the "B" one.

So when we discovered she needed the "B" one to get the work permit, we planned this trip because based on information found in this forum, we couldn't change the type of visa from "ED" to "B" inside Thailand.

I had the Non-Imm "O" visa from the same Embassy. Since my visa was ok, before leaving to Laos I just asked for a single re-entry permit in Chang Wattana immigration section to keep my visa alive (1000 baht).

The trip

We left bkk on the night train to Nong Khai. The train #69 leaves from Hua Lamphong station at 20h and the 2nd class sleepers (around 700-800 baht) are comfortable enough for the night.

At the Nong Khai train station we took a tuk-tuk to the border (50baht) and then, after the Thai immigration, a minibus (30 baht/pax) to cross the Friendship Bridge to Laos.

The visa-on-arrival scheme in Laos is simple and relatively fast. The prices varies according to the passport-holder nationality (from 20 to 42 USD).

After getting the visa and the stamp, we joined a group to negotiate a minivan from the border to Vientiane (50baht/person). There's also a bus one can get for 25baht, but it stops at the Salat Tao Market (around 1km from Nam Phu Fountain, which is presumably the most central point in the city). This bus is mostly used by locals and it's blue ans has "JAPAN" written on the side near the entrance door.

The starting price of all transportation from the border, excet the bus, is 200baht/pax, but it's easy to negotiate the price down.

Consulate: day 1

One very important thing to mention is that the Thai Consular Section is NOT located on the main Thai Embassy building. It's 1,5km away from it and 3km from Nam Phu Fountain.

The Consular Section can be found here: goo.gl/Js8uK

They only receive visa applications in the morning, from Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 12:00. And the passport is returned the day after, from 13:00 to 15:00.

In the building entrance there's a guy asking if you have the form and all the necessary photocopies. This guy actually doesn't work in the Embassy and will ask 20 baht (!!!) to make a single copy of any document you might have forgotten to copy! Just ignore him and go straigh to get your queue number. You can get the form inside (for free, obviously) and there's a photocopy machine on the 2nd floor, in case you need to copy any document (I haven't checked the price).

We arrived there at 8:40 and got the queue number 94! It's very crowded and it takes sometime before they call your number in window 1 or 2. At lest there are lots of chairs in a shaded area, so it's not as bad as I was expecting.

After they call you in window 1 or 2 and receive and check you documents, you have to enter the building on your left to pay the visa fee in window 5 or 6 (2000 baht Non-Imm B, single entry, 90 days). There is also some extra waiting in this parte, but you keep the same queue number and this area is much more comfortable, with air-con.

In case you get a high queue number in the morning, you can eventually wait inside this building even before handing the documents in windows 1 or 2.

The whole process in day 1 (Monday) took us about 3 hours.

Consulate: day 2

In the next day we arrived 20 minutes before they opened the gate at 13 o'clock. There were already around 80 people queueing outside the gate on the street. This time no chairs or shade, so it's recommended to bring an umbrella and water. After they open the gate, you get a queue number again and wait inside the building (air-con area). This part is faster and it took us less than 1 hour to get the passport back with the visa.

When you leave the Consular Section there are lots of tuk-tuk and van drivers offering a ride directly to the Thai border. But as we decided to stay for a few more days in Laos, we didn't need their services.

If someone is going to Vientiane to get a visa and has any specific question about the Consular Section or the city, I'll be glad to give more info if I can.

• 2 months later...