Attraction Of Issan

zzzgoodnight

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So u are saying issan has nothing to offer apart from your lady or lady boy in some cases i think quite insulting to issan as a place on the world map.

I didn't say anything of the sort .

It is a big old country . Are you talking about anywhere in particular ?

So u are saying issan has nothing to offer apart from your lady or lady boy in some cases i think quite insulting to issan as a place on the world map.

Hmm,been coming to Thailand since 89 and have lived here in Issan full for almost 8 years ,I never thought of Issan as a tourist destination , and stuck to the Southern beach area's ,but like most farangs if truth is known I have come here to reside and settle down with a Thai lady,having said all that, now I am here, I would live no where else , maybe I am lucky cos there are many farangs in my area who have much in common with myself, I have also heard of farangs living miles away from anywhere with no farangs to partake of a beer or 3 in the evenings which is not for me ,I've got true TV my PC, my own car ,no financial worries, and a little lady I think the world of as she does me ,I can breath clean air too, hey I ask you what more could an old goat like me ask from life!!!. Edited by Colin Yai
  • Like 1

I am answering your question by saying that if it was not for my partner I would not be in Isaan.

can't really be much clearer than that.

Issan is a big old gaff . There are large cities and tiny little villages and all that . I live in a small village .I like the fresh air and and the 180 degree sky at night , the quiet , the fresh produce , the jolly locals , my son's happyness , our big hoose and if I want to go the city ,Ubon , I can go to bars or clubs and do the drunk uncle dance and eat foriegn food or go to the cinema .The fact that I can be in Hong Kong for work in half a day is most convenient . There are no attractions round the way , a few Khamer prasats and the odd prehistoric rock carving and that is all well and good because I don't see many tourists as yet . And yet the old adage " time waits for no man " rings true as progress rolls on and every last bit of greenery becomes the concrete slab .

You haven't traveled Isan much. There are national parks, caves, forests, waterfalls, and hikes all over Isan. There are at least 25 waterfalls in Ubon alone. Not to mention the Mekong river and gorgeous rice fields when they are bright green or brown and ready to harvest. Obviously the beaches of the south, the mountains of the north and city life of Bangkok trump Isan for most tourists but Isan is a great place to live and there are many natural attractions.

Please tell me about these attractions, in all my travels throughout Issan I have never seen any.

The only thing that attractive to me is the highway 2 south from Korat.

• Like 1

You haven't traveled Isan much. There are national parks, caves, forests, waterfalls, and hikes all over Isan. There are at least 25 waterfalls in Ubon alone. Not to mention the Mekong river and gorgeous rice fields when they are bright green or brown and ready to harvest. Obviously the beaches of the south, the mountains of the north and city life of Bangkok trump Isan for most tourists but Isan is a great place to live and there are many natural attractions.

Please tell me about these attractions, in all my travels throughout Issan I have never seen any.

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your affliction, I know no-one who can cure blindness. Highway 2 attractive .?From Saraburi in ,it would have to be one of the worlds most boring roads.I now limit myself to one forced bus trip a year( as part of my visa extension).

Edited by afarang

A lady brings us to Isaan, but it's rythm of life and an allure that is hard to understand, let alone describe, that keeps us here long after patrons of Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket have given up on their relationships.

OK - I have absolutely zero stats to back that up. Just a prejudiced opinion :rolleyes:

Edit: I am a big city boy at heart (ex central London) and I couldn't survive in Isaan without occasional visits to the former plus forays into the surrounding ASEAN nations that are particularly accessible from this south east corner of Isaan.

Edited by SantiSuk

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your affliction, I know no-one who can cure blindness. Highway 2 attractive .?From Saraburi in ,it would have to be one of the worlds most boring roads.I now limit myself to one forced bus trip a year( as part of my visa extension).

Affliction, my eyes are wide open, depends on what you use as the benchmark.

Agreed the No 2 is one of the most boring roads I have ever driven, the town of Saraburi belongs in one of those shouldnt visit this town at all costs. You will be pleased to know there is now a bypass.

However I digress, these days I prefer to take the 304 via Chachoengsao, or if coming from Chan the 317 to Sa Kaeo.

To the poster at the top, I am well travelled in Issan, as I mentioned above whats your benchmark?

Please do tell me where in Issan I can experience sights on a par with,

The Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Ayres Rock (apologies to our Ozzy readers I dont recall the correct PC name these days, I visited prior to PC BS), Ankor Wat, The Great Wall Of China, the fjords of Norway, Edinburgh Castle (please tell me of any city in the world that has such a dramatic enterance to the city as Edinburgh), Sanna (Yemen for those who have never been), Ethipoia the churches at Lalibela, do you want me to go on?

I can fully understand if your partener thinks Doi Suthep is the highest mountain in the world, I gave up long ago being ripped off paying a farang sucker price to visit some poxy waterrfall, drive the 317 south and see them for free.

As I say HW No2 the best road in the world, gets me back to reality.

Agreed the No 2 is one of the most boring roads I have ever driven, the town of Saraburi belongs in one of those shouldnt visit this town at all costs. You will be pleased to know there is now a bypass.

However I digress, these days I prefer to take the 304 via Chachoengsao, or if coming from Chan the 317 to Sa Kaeo.

To the poster at the top, I am well travelled in Issan, as I mentioned above whats your benchmark?

The Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Ayres Rock (apologies to our Ozzy readers I dont recall the correct PC name these days, I visited prior to PC BS), Ankor Wat, The Great Wall Of China, the fjords of Norway, Edinburgh Castle (please tell me of any city in the world that has such a dramatic enterance to the city as Edinburgh), Sanna (Yemen for those who have never been), Ethipoia the churches at Lalibela, do you want me to go on?

I can fully understand if your partener thinks Doi Suthep is the highest mountain in the world, I gave up long ago being ripped off paying a farang sucker price to visit some poxy waterrfall, drive the 317 south and see them for free.

I suppose anyone who has had the chance to behold any , say three or two even , of the above has done well although they might comment that when there it was difficult to get away from the crowds .

Issan has its own magic moments even if it is a tough old bird .

Some interesting views there and even onionluke has some sensible replies sometimes.There is some natrual beauty here in Issan,Temples,national parks,shopping malls,restaurants and bars,border crossings,mekong river,etc etc. wheres your adventure even if u have lived here for a while u need to get out more so to speak.

• Like 1

What I like about living just outside Khon Kaen is the convenience of 2 worlds. I can sit on my back porch gazing over a small lake with some buffalo in the distance and drink in the atmosphere of complete peace and quiet yet within 15 minutes I can be in the city centre and buy a Harlay Davidson or eat kobe beef should I so choose.

Uluru, but don't worry no offence is taken, some call it the original name, some (oldies :)) call it the old name.

Mind you, why would anyone sit on a plane for hours to get to Alice Springs, then have about a 6 hour drive just to see a rock. Needless to say I haven't done it.

I haven't been to too many places in Isaan, can't say it is my cup of tea but one never knows. If I end up there then I'll just make the best of it and see it in it's best light.

I lived with my ex gf in Sakhon Nakon and loved it. The pace of life the cheap food and beer, but the crap internet at the time was a nono for work.

Although my wife and I live in Pattaya we often go to Issan to see her University friends for weddings etc and I am always made to feel very welcome and liked.

Long live Issan :jap:

My husband is what brought me to issan but I love it here, got to get a little more independent and get over my fear of driving over here - it's those bloody u bends terrify me!!!

Do you mean those 'U' turns that they have on dual carriageways ? For me it's the idiots that insist in driving down the road on the wrong side.

:wai: What impressed me most on my first visit to Issan, was the beautiful forests and waterfalls, the rivers mehkong and mun between mukdaharn and ubon, most of all the warm welcome we recieved in the villages, where complete strangers would say you look tired and hungry come eat with us, that was in november 1963,and today 48 years later , we are still made welcome just the same

I love the fresh air, good food and relaxed lifestyle, also the fact that I can afford to live at a much better standard in Issan. I get my fill of English talk and laughs at work and when I am off I stay in Issan and don't hear or speak English for a couple of months at a time. This is the perfect balance for me. The people where I live are very friendly and have accepted me in our small village, as the only Westerner in the area I feel perfectly comfortable and have no worries about our hose when we are away.

Great place and great people.