Attraction Of Issan

zzzgoodnight

Here's a none attraction in my part of Issan. Not one day in 2 months that it hasn't rained. Can't ride your bike far, if you don't want to get soaked, can't go for a walk in the jungle unless you want to hike through mud. Then again, can always use the car and get the wife to drive so, you can drink in town. Better than working for a living I guess.

Really wounldn't change it for all the fish in china. Plus the rain has stopped for today and the rubber tappers are on their way to work. Jim

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So u are saying issan has nothing to offer apart from your lady or lady boy in some cases i think quite insulting to issan as a place on the world map.

Hmm,been coming to Thailand since 89 and have lived here in Issan full for almost 8 years ,I never thought of Issan as a tourist destination , and stuck to the Southern beach area's ,but like most farangs if truth is known I have come here to reside and settle down with a Thai lady,having said all that, now I am here, I would live no where else , maybe I am lucky cos there are many farangs in my area who have much in common with myself, I have also heard of farangs living miles away from anywhere with no farangs to partake of a beer or 3 in the evenings which is not for me ,I've got true TV my PC, my own car ,no financial worries, and a little lady I think the world of as she does me ,I can breath clean air too, hey I ask you what more could an old goat like me ask from life!!!.

My attachment to my lady is what brought me here. The pure fact that it is not a tourist destination is what keeps me here. So few farang that it seems strange when I see them. I don't like tv, I don't need to socialize with other farang and I do see beauty in the landscape.

I have lived in many large cities through out the world. Cities are great and exciting when you are young. Thailand is a wonderful country, even the knockers still stay here, yes there are downsides but here they are less and less serious than which is accepted as almost normal in many other countries, especially in the west. I moved to Issan because of my wife, about 60km south of Korat, a small village and I am the only Farang. Often in the early evening we walk to the school field and sit and just look at the beautiful scenery. Kids are riding their bikes and all say "Hello" and give a big friendly smile. Wonderful. In 20 minutes we can drive up to Wang Nam Kiao and sit in a beautiful restaurant looking over the National Park and Forest. The Owner (Thai) lived in Europe for a number of years and serves "Falang" food to die for in addition to great Thai food. We also can go to Pak Thong Chai in 20 minutes and there we can eat in another great restaurant that serves great "Falang" and Thai food as the Thai owner lived and worked in Switzerland. Once a week we go to Korat for shopping and have lunch in "Sizler" or even a Big Mac or KFC. I do not want the usual night life, perhaps I am now past it or been there done that, got the "T" shirt and have sent it back. For me living in Issan is just about perfect but if you are a frustrated bar person who regrets leaving Pattaya it is obvious that issan is not for you and you have moved for the wrong reasons and are just unhappy living a normal type life. We often just take a drive out into the "Jungle" only a few km from us and dirt tracks but beautiful scenery. For me after having travelled and lived in most parts of the work I have now found "home".

Edited by Billmont

Here's a none attraction in my part of Issan. Not one day in 2 months that it hasn't rained. Can't ride your bike far, if you don't want to get soaked, can't go for a walk in the jungle unless you want to hike through mud. Then again, can always use the car and get the wife to drive so, you can drink in town. Better than working for a living I guess.

Really wounldn't change it for all the fish in china. Plus the rain has stopped for today and the rubber tappers are on their way to work. Jim

One shouldn't shed too much negativity on the rains, James.

Just go with it - it's quite the blessing.

I say ! I had a spell when it didn't rain for four months . Every now and then I would see a shower way off and travelling further and I would pine for it rain this way . On the other hand when I am out day tripping on my bike I like racing the showers , to keep ahead of them .

I have often made the trip up north in hope of sighting these sick buffalos i am constantly asked to provide money for

So far, not only have i have seen B*gger all buffalos, but the few i have seen have looked perfectly healthy :rolleyes:

I agree with the two above i have not seen any buffalos or whores.

Like all farmers, there are only 2 types of rain. Too little and too much. If not for rain what would I have to complain about. Jim

Hi Isaanites, Want a day out?

Many of the farming fraternity in Isaan read this forum as well, but perhaps not so many of the participants here reciprocate. So I thought I would list a coming attraction in Isaan. We are organising a Farmers Advisory Field Day for mid next month. Anyone willing to travel to Sisaket that has an interest in agriculture, gardening or organics is more than welcome. Hopefully it will become a regular gathering. The first one is at my place. Have a look at the farming forum to follow things as they develop. Essentially it is a chance to learn something new, meet new friends, even give someone a few clues from your own experience. A day away from the box, the couch and the TV.

Isaan Aussie

I lived 4 years near Chumpon at Thung Wua Lean, 400m from the beach.

I did not want to live ON the beach, just near enough to know/hear the sounds of the sea.

I always dreamt to live near the sea.

So I did and got fed-up 4 years down the road, too much winds, to much rain, 50% of the area being sea you can't walk on water and I am not a boat fan.

I like walking and bicycling, after a myocardial infarct no montains for me.

Thus it became Isaan, but then it's huge.

And I concur with an other poster:

What I like about living just outside Khon Kaen is the convenience of 2 worlds. I can sit on my back porch gazing over a small lake with some buffalo in the distance and drink in the atmosphere of complete peace and quiet yet within 15 minutes I can be in the city centre and buy a Harlay Davidson or eat kobe beef should I so choose.

I have been there often enough to know that I couldnt live there.

But I visit a very remote village with one tin shop.

The people are nice enough but in thier own way, it is different.

Other than the people that I have met I do know one man well that moved to "upcountry" and he did it purely because of cost.

It is cheaper to live there and there are those whose incomes are not that great.

Other than the people that I have met I do know one man well that moved to "upcountry" and he did it purely because of cost.

It is cheaper to live there and there are those whose incomes are not that great.

Living cheaper is a bit of a myth. Yes, rents will typically be cheaper but I can eat and drink more cheaply in Pattaya.

I don't want to - just saying that I can.

Living cheaper is a bit of a myth. Yes, rents will typically be cheaper but I can eat and drink more cheaply in Pattaya.

I don't want to - just saying that I can.

Myth or not. It's all rather moot, as it really comes down to how one cares to live. And naturally, every existence will be different from the next. Expensive or inexpensive, up to the individual.

I love Udon Thani after many trips to the flashing lights im now so happy to fly into Udon and just cruise around so many young dudes now in pattaya im only 35 but it can be very noisy when your around the boys who visit the bars for the first time...

so for me in Isaan you will find me @ the wifes village bun phan in Nong Khai or in the Udon town... I LOVE ISAAN

I love Udon Thani after many trips to the flashing lights im now so happy to fly into Udon and just cruise around so many young dudes now in pattaya im only 35 but it can be very noisy when your around the boys who visit the bars for the first time...

so for me in Isaan you will find me @ the wifes village bun phan in Nong Khai or in the Udon town... I LOVE ISAAN

Great place to get away from it all best thing about issan is the lack of tourists.

It is the real Thailand

....Mind you, why would anyone sit on a plane for hours to get to Alice Springs, then have about a 6 hour drive just to see a rock. Needless to say I haven't done it. ....

Clearly not, otherwise you would know that the answer to your question is ... They would not: there is a modern airport at Uluru with regular flights to East and West coast airports!

{Brit teaches Ocker a thing or two about his own country shock horror :rolleyes:}

Great place to get away from it all best thing about issan is the lack of tourists.

It is the real Thailand

A real Thailand was about 60 years ago.

It is the real Thailand

But Isaan is TODAY'S "Real" Thailand.

It is the real Thailand

And most of it hasn't changed that much, probably never will in our lifetime.

You may like to use the definite article 'the' next time. 'A' implies there is more than one, which is very unlikely.

I chose to buy land in Isaan as opposed to elsewhere, not because of a Thai wife or dodgy deal but from a desire to have a rural retreat by a large natural water resource. After opening a map of Thailand and being discouraged from buying in the South, I was recommended by many colleagues to explore Sirindhorn Dam. After a few scouting weekends, I bought a piece of waterfront land (4 rai), which is so-so. A few months later I then bought my prized 27 rai waterfront smallholding. Lastly I purchased 30 rai also facing the reservoir. No shopping malls, international restaurants, internet cafes, fast food chains, traffic congestion, noise and pollution. Authentic rural Thailand. Hey, I live and work in a city and enjoy escaping when I can to the Thai countryside I now call home - Sirindhorn in Ubon.

post-138340-0-86206000-1313638593_thumb.

the girls uniforms :whistling:

Rather homogenous, yes?

Let me guess, you looked up uniform in a dictionary and got homogenous as an alternative word.

Thaddeus

I'm really starting to like your insight into Zza'a methods and madness. I did exactly what you suggested he did....looked up uniform....and guess what ???? Love it!

:lol: mario299