Attraction Of Issan

zzzgoodnight

the girls uniforms :whistling:

Rather homogenous, yes?

Let me guess, you looked up uniform in a dictionary and got homogenous as an alternative word.

Thaddeus

I'm really starting to like your insight into Zza'a methods and madness. I did exactly what you suggested he did....looked up uniform....and guess what ???? Love it!

:lol: mario299

You're more than welcome.... and I look forward to being able to provide the same service for the foreseeable future ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in the boonies of Loei province for about seven years. I simply got burned out on the bright lights of the farang ghettos. I am content for the first time in my life.

What would happen if my marriage would go pear shaped? I really don't know and don't want to find out, but life goes on and I would cope with it. Losing my wife would bother me MUCH more than losing property that I don't need anyways.

I still have a nice condo in Jomtien in my name and I do enjoy seeing my old friends down there, but I doubt that I would live there again. The beach is nice but holds no particular attraction for me. I enjoy sitting on the front porch of our little week end house that over looks a pond and watching the sun go down over the near mountains.

I used to spend a lot of time watching TV when we lived in my condo but up here I don't watch TV at all. My wife asked me why she should pay 1,500 baht a month for the satellite TV when I don't watch it. I told her to go ahead and cancel the service so she did.

Unlike some people, I enjoy being lazy. I was told by my friends that I would die from boredom living in the boonies but I can assure you that is NOT the case. I do have many things that I can and should do but nothing that I HAVE to do.

Different strokes for different folks. I will admit that ten years ago if someone would have told me that I would now be living in the boonies of Isaan, I would have told them that they were insane.

I have lived in the boonies of Loei province for about seven years. I simply got burned out on the bright lights of the farang ghettos. I am content for the first time in my life.

What would happen if my marriage would go pear shaped? I really don't know and don't want to find out, but life goes on and I would cope with it. Losing my wife would bother me MUCH more than losing property that I don't need anyways.

I still have a nice condo in Jomtien in my name and I do enjoy seeing my old friends down there, but I doubt that I would live there again. The beach is nice but holds no particular attraction for me. I enjoy sitting on the front porch of our little week end house that over looks a pond and watching the sun go down over the near mountains.

I used to spend a lot of time watching TV when we lived in my condo but up here I don't watch TV at all. My wife asked me why she should pay 1,500 baht a month for the satellite TV when I don't watch it. I told her to go ahead and cancel the service so she did.

Unlike some people, I enjoy being lazy. I was told by my friends that I would die from boredom living in the boonies but I can assure you that is NOT the case. I do have many things that I can and should do but nothing that I HAVE to do.

Different strokes for different folks. I will admit that ten years ago if someone would have told me that I would now be living in the boonies of Isaan, I would have told them that they were insane.

Good on ya, Gary!

A secure and settled individual......a rarity.

I love Udon Thani after many trips to the flashing lights im now so happy to fly into Udon and just cruise around so many young dudes now in pattaya im only 35 but it can be very noisy when your around the boys who visit the bars for the first time...

so for me in Isaan you will find me @ the wifes village bun phan in Nong Khai or in the Udon town... I LOVE ISAAN

At 35 years old do you live in Isaan full-time?

Or just visiting?

Isaan can be a good place to relax and meet the girlfriends folks after a bender in Pattaya. But to live there as a young foreign man is really self-defeating IMHO, having been there and done it.

For the most part, this is a rather stupid thread. Who in the hell would measure a place's "worth" by the number of attraction in that place? To me, the presence of "attractions" would go down in the column of "stay away from this place". In other words, "Attractions" are good places to visit, as on a vacation, but not desirable as a place to live right next door to. I expect most foreigners who live in Isaan live there because they enjoy a more peaceful lifestyle than would be possible in say Pattaya or BKK.

Edited by 321Rich

For the most part, this is a rather stupid thread. Who in the hell would measure a place's "worth" by the number of attraction in that place? To me, the presence of "attractions" would go down in the column of "stay away from this place". In other words, "Attractions" are good places to visit, as on a vacation, but not desirable as a place to live right next door to. I expect most foreigners who live in Isaan live there because they enjoy a more peaceful lifestyle than would be possible in say Pattaya or BKK.

Indeed. Seems to be the principle attraction to Isaan. The alternative lifestyle of the countryside atmosphere.

Those whom insist on attaching or bringing those principle city attractions to Isaan [and other locales] have no place here.

If you want that crap, keep it and appreciate it there.

My husband is what brought me to issan but I love it here, got to get a little more independent and get over my fear of driving over here - it's those bloody u bends terrify me!!!

you mean you turns ..or maybe s bends as in sit-on loos??... Where is Isaan anyways...

just joking... must visit some day met lots of ladies FROM there.

.....hope it's not like the UK ....a good place to be FROM?? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Off topic but would like some opinions from some of you well travelled Isaanites.

I drive up from Bkk to Maha Chana Chai almost every other weekend. First few times, I will take Highway 2 from Don Mueang to Saraburi, continuing to Nakhon Ratchasima but turning left to Khon Kaen before hitting the town centre. Then from there, all to way to Sida and then turning right onto 202, all the way to Pho Yai and then turning right.

Recently though, I started taking a different way, turning right at 24 way before Nakhon Ratchasima, pass Chok Chai and then turning left to Buririam, then right towards Surin on 226 and left onto 214 / 215. This new route is really smooth to drive, roads in good condition most of the way and much much less traffic and less police road blocks.

What roads do you guys normally take?

Like stated , the lady is nr 1 , but in my case it was also nr 2 and nr 3 etc .

I was fed up with the partying lifestyle , the tourists , the ripoffs , the drugs , etc etc etc .

Now i live relaxed , in a moobarn ( city is nothing for me but handy at the times ) , with friendly people , cheap Thai food , no bars , no farangs and much more . I know it is not for everybody , but i like it .

The missus is from here so thats what brought me here. Sakon is a little isolated for me but fortunately I must work overseas for the most part.Saying that, the house I have is in a beautiful part of Isaan with Phu Phan national park A stone throw away. I'm now looking forward to the wife finishing university to see where in Thailand it may take us.

• 2 weeks later...

i LOVE UBON, Although I have a house in sankhaemphaeng,(east of Chaing-mai) my near future retirement home in my wife.s village, is good, I enjoy my escapes to ubon to catch up to #2, Over the last 4 years I really enjoy the genuine friendliness of the people, especially if you can talk thai, next the food , I love spicy thai, so it,s all here, then there's the proximity of LAOS a 3hr bus ride away to pakse, which I have visited 4 times & explored the area, good value holidays, even in ubon, you can sit down to a aloy meal @ lunchtime for a $ aust.

regards songhklasid.B) B) B)

OH, and don't forget the cheap accomadation.

I have lived in many large cities through out the world. Cities are great and exciting when you are young. Thailand is a wonderful country, even the knockers still stay here, yes there are downsides but here they are less and less serious than which is accepted as almost normal in many other countries, especially in the west. I moved to Issan because of my wife, about 60km south of Korat, a small village and I am the only Farang. Often in the early evening we walk to the school field and sit and just look at the beautiful scenery. Kids are riding their bikes and all say "Hello" and give a big friendly smile. Wonderful. In 20 minutes we can drive up to Wang Nam Kiao and sit in a beautiful restaurant looking over the National Park and Forest. The Owner (Thai) lived in Europe for a number of years and serves "Falang" food to die for in addition to great Thai food. We also can go to Pak Thong Chai in 20 minutes and there we can eat in another great restaurant that serves great "Falang" and Thai food as the Thai owner lived and worked in Switzerland. Once a week we go to Korat for shopping and have lunch in "Sizler" or even a Big Mac or KFC. I do not want the usual night life, perhaps I am now past it or been there done that, got the "T" shirt and have sent it back. For me living in Issan is just about perfect but if you are a frustrated bar person who regrets leaving Pattaya it is obvious that issan is not for you and you have moved for the wrong reasons and are just unhappy living a normal type life. We often just take a drive out into the "Jungle" only a few km from us and dirt tracks but beautiful scenery. For me after having travelled and lived in most parts of the work I have now found "home".

Really refreshing comments from someone who is happy with their lot.

Nice one.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a place out in Det Udom, wifes' family live there (and all around), I love to get out there as often as possible, although me and the missus are still young and work overseas, its great to get to and let off steam from a hectic life,

its definitely a relaxed life style, life seems to have a much different pace in Isaan than everywhere else.

the attractions I'd really rate are some of the old temples around, but then I'm a real sucker for history,

I can go to the same old temples "wats" over and over and still find them fascinating.

plus there is some great bush - national parks and all that, and some great hiking.

had a great trip up loei way, hiked up the mountain, can't remember what it was called, saw wild elephants and all that.

I think if i could I would move to isaan permanently, but I'd have to work on the social networks to get the odd night out with some english speakers to engage in communication,

but then I've found the level of conversation between a native english speaker and some of my thai friends who speak effectively no english gets to be about the same after sufficient quantities of Chang and whisky!! ;)

I enjoy visiting Isaan because it reminds me of home. Not all of us come from big cities like London or Los Angeles.

You mean to say that parts of America are REALLY like this ?

In my book that's not a lot of progress since the Boston Tea Party.

Where progress is way over rated

At this moment in time I would rather be in my beloved Issan than with the lounge lizards form Bangkok who constantly rubbish this lovely part of the world. In a few days they are going to be up to their knees (or higher) in filthy flood water surrounded by floating turds, used contraceptives, dead rats etcetera, meanwhile us idiots from Isaan will be walking around bare footed with no worries. The cities, you can keep them.

Quite a few places, depending on what types of "see-do" you like.

*Preah Vihear Temple - if they ever settle things down

Khaoyai National Park

Phanom Rung - Buriram

Phimai (Old Khmer Outpost) - Phimai

Ban Chiang - Udon

That Pannom - Nakhon Phanom(I like old temples)

Maenam Mun near Ubon (I like rivers with clear water)

Cliff drawings along Maenam Khong near Ubon

Dinosaur digs - west of KK

Market at Mukduhan (and yam pladuk fuu at "Morris" riverboat restaurant)

*yes, I know it's in Cambodia, but access is from Thailand.

Edited by klikster

I enjoy visiting Isaan because it reminds me of home. Not all of us come from big cities like London or Los Angeles.

Cardholder, why do you want to open that can of worms?

I have lived in many large cities through out the world. Cities are great and exciting when you are young. Thailand is a wonderful country, even the knockers still stay here, yes there are downsides but here they are less and less serious than which is accepted as almost normal in many other countries, especially in the west. I moved to Issan because of my wife, about 60km south of Korat, a small village and I am the only Farang. Often in the early evening we walk to the school field and sit and just look at the beautiful scenery. Kids are riding their bikes and all say "Hello" and give a big friendly smile. Wonderful. In 20 minutes we can drive up to Wang Nam Kiao and sit in a beautiful restaurant looking over the National Park and Forest. The Owner (Thai) lived in Europe for a number of years and serves "Falang" food to die for in addition to great Thai food. We also can go to Pak Thong Chai in 20 minutes and there we can eat in another great restaurant that serves great "Falang" and Thai food as the Thai owner lived and worked in Switzerland. Once a week we go to Korat for shopping and have lunch in "Sizler" or even a Big Mac or KFC. I do not want the usual night life, perhaps I am now past it or been there done that, got the "T" shirt and have sent it back. For me living in Issan is just about perfect but if you are a frustrated bar person who regrets leaving Pattaya it is obvious that issan is not for you and you have moved for the wrong reasons and are just unhappy living a normal type life. We often just take a drive out into the "Jungle" only a few km from us and dirt tracks but beautiful scenery. For me after having travelled and lived in most parts of the work I have now found "home".

Really refreshing comments from someone who is happy with their lot.

Nice one.

+1

Cardholder, why do you want to open that can of worms?

Just an expression - just playing....

I can't actually imagine ANY parts of America being like Isaan - but I am quite prepared to stand corrected.