German Tourist Arrested In Chiang Mai With Fake Banknotes

webfact

German tourist arrested in Chiang Mai with fake banknotes

Chiang Mai - A German tourist was arrested early Monday for allegedly using a fake Bt500 note to pay for taxi fare in this northern capital.

Simon Fuchs, 30, was arrested in Muang district at 2 am. Police found 15 fake Bt500 notes with him and 3 fake Bt100 notes with him.

Police later searched his room and found an inkjet printer and some equipment for making fake bank notes.

Police were alerted to arrest the German after he used a fake Bt500 note to pay for taxi fare.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-08

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowingly using a fake 500 baht note to pay for a taxi ride is silly.

The taxi driver is going to know exactly where it came from as they will probably only be paid with 500baht once in a day...

Spending it at a food court in a Mall would be a lot better...

B100 notes - what a cheap charlie.

We had an outbreak of fake B1000s on Samui some time back - I actually got 2 from an ATM outside a bank. When I went in to complain, they seized the fake currency, and assured me that they couldn't have possibly have come from their ATM as all notes were being checked. I'm sure that I heard the faint sound of cheering as I stomped off.

Edited by OzMick

I would have thought the taxi driver would be so elated to see a 500bht note that he would not have realized it was fake. I wonder if a bargirl would notice a fake??

I guess that depends on where you put it. :whistling:

I actually thought that Germans would be smarter!

Simon Fuchs, 30, was arrested in Muang district at 2 am. Police found 15 fake Bt500 notes with him and 3 fake Bt100 notes with him.

Simon says:" Hey fox, old Dummkopf,"

There's East and West Germany. Still not grown together. So many Russians became German, having a German name. Sorry, never wanted to blame any Russians, just a fact. Do the crime, do the time.

<deleted>

Edited by metisdead
German language removed, this is an English language forum.

When I 1st saw these headlines in my inbox I thought OMG, and quickly destroyed my printer and dumped it.

"German tourist arrested in Chiang Mai with inkjet printer"

Thought the printer police would be knocking on my door. dam_n now I have to go and buy a new printer.

"3 fake Bt100" Risking jail for $3 US?

I thought the same: I wondered if he knocked up the 100s just to support the 500s if questioned about the notes look & feel.

The problem is passing duds to gain real currency, people that are used to real notes look a feel generally spot the bad paper, his arrogance at looking down on a taxi driver assuming they would not know the difference was his undoing.

Edited by Cuban

We had an outbreak of fake B1000s on Samui some time back - I actually got 2 from an ATM outside a bank. When I went in to complain, they seized the fake currency, and assured me that they couldn't have possibly have come from their ATM as all notes were being checked. I'm sure that I heard the faint sound of cheering as I stomped off.

How did you spot that they were fake? Did you use a UV light?Did you spot the fakes when you were outside the bank or some time later?

Edited by witsawakorn

Maybe the 20 other serious offenders in the Bangkok Hilton monkey house that he will be staying with, will pity the fool. Truly unbelievable idiocy... not likely to get much help from the German embassy as this reflects bad on other legit tourists...Current tensions may also work against this guy. He gets my vote for best super flush of one's life.......

My god! All you need is an inkjet printer and you can pass off fake notes. That is the most unbelievable part.

Could thee reason why he got caught be that his copies weren't good enough to pay the BIB.

Who says he actually got away with getting anyone to accept any. Maybe a bar girl or two, but a taxi driver? You might as well hand it to a policeman.

How did you spot that they were fake? Did you use a UV light?Did you spot the fakes when you were outside the bank or some time later?

some time back but from memory - no water mark, missing that little red and purple thingy just above the number on the front, (or was it the back, or both) plus on the back there was something wrong with the little snowdrops (??) above the king's left shoulder. There was a few around, and I had seen a dud beforehand.

Checked as soon as came out of ATM. Walked into bank asap with exactly 10 B1000 notes and a withdrawal slip timed 1 minute ago. Not possible it came from our ATM - crap!

Hate to say it, but the general policy was if you get one, pass it on quick. Several farangs that I know had them, and ALL came out of ATMs.

some time back but from memory - no water mark, missing that little red and purple thingy just above the number on the front, (or was it the back, or both) plus on the back there was something wrong with the little snowdrops (??) above the king's left shoulder. There was a few around, and I had seen a dud beforehand.

Checked as soon as came out of ATM. Walked into bank asap with exactly 10 B1000 notes and a withdrawal slip timed 1 minute ago. Not possible it came from our ATM - crap!

Hate to say it, but the general policy was if you get one, pass it on quick. Several farangs that I know had them, and ALL came out of ATMs.

Thanks very Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you tried putting them into your account though e.g. a BKK bank CDM (Cash Deposit Machine) or would that just incriminate you? Hopefully I won't get one so I won't find out