German Tourist Arrested In Chiang Mai With Fake Banknotes

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god! All you need is an inkjet printer and you can pass off fake notes. That is the most unbelievable part.

Could thee reason why he got caught be that his copies weren't good enough to pay the BIB.

Who says he actually got away with getting anyone to accept any. Maybe a bar girl or two, but a taxi driver? You might as well hand it to a policeman.

Yes the NY Times had an article about Thailand about a month ago and pointed out the country seems to attract desperate people and criminals. This is one of them, though on a much smaller scale and much stupider scale than say Victor Bout. Hence he was caught.

The big fish seem to always get away.

I just wonder whether more is being read into this than should be. The guy passed a fake bank note and was arrested for owning an ink jet printer. It did not say he was arrested for possessing bank note plates,

merely owning a printer and other accessories, maybe some extra ink cartridges. This is how the news gets distorted.

Anyone could have the misfortune of passing counterfeit currency, and how many of us would be found guilty on account of owning an ink jet printer, not a printer one would typically associate with fake notes I might add.

When I 1st saw these headlines in my inbox I thought OMG, and quickly destroyed my printer and dumped it.

"German tourist arrested in Chiang Mai with inkjet printer"

Thought the printer police would be knocking on my door. dam_n now I have to go and buy a new printer.

Thanks mate for the advice. Threw all my printers in the garbage, because you never know what the printer cops will do to me. ( SPU= Special Printer Unit) I'll never buy a printer again without the SPU approval on it. :ph34r:

Edited by sirchai

I just wonder whether more is being read into this than should be. The guy passed a fake bank note and was arrested for owning an ink jet printer. It did not say he was arrested for possessing bank note plates,

merely owning a printer and other accessories, maybe some extra ink cartridges. This is how the news gets distorted.

Anyone could have the misfortune of passing counterfeit currency, and how many of us would be found guilty on account of owning an ink jet printer, not a printer one would typically associate with fake notes I might add.

Sherlock Homes, you might be right. But why did he have so many of them? And different bills, was Dr. Watson asking.......:annoyed:

Sherlock Homes, you might be right. But why did he have so many of them? And different bills, was Dr. Watson asking.......:annoyed:

Where can I get this cashed ??? ( Im German)

Zimbabwa_0002.jpg

Zimbabwa_0002.jpg

2 of those would have got you 1 baht a month or so ago but now with the baht on a high you are best to take it to the toilet.

B100 notes - what a cheap charlie.

We had an outbreak of fake B1000s on Samui some time back - I actually got 2 from an ATM outside a bank. When I went in to complain, they seized the fake currency, and assured me that they couldn't have possibly have come from their ATM as all notes were being checked. I'm sure that I heard the faint sound of cheering as I stomped off.

How did you spot that they were fake? Did you use a UV light?Did you spot the fakes when you were outside the bank or some time later?

some time back but from memory - no water mark, missing that little red and purple thingy just above the number on the front, (or was it the back, or both) plus on the back there was something wrong with the little snowdrops (??) above the king's left shoulder. There was a few around, and I had seen a dud beforehand.

Checked as soon as came out of ATM. Walked into bank asap with exactly 10 B1000 notes and a withdrawal slip timed 1 minute ago. Not possible it came from our ATM - crap!

Hate to say it, but the general policy was if you get one, pass it on quick. Several farangs that I know had them, and ALL came out of ATMs.

Thanks very Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you tried putting them into your account though e.g. a BKK bank CDM (Cash Deposit Machine) or would that just incriminate you? Hopefully I won't get one so I won't find out

Never thought to check for fake bank notes although i often heard secondhand reports of people noticing themselves or being informed when it came to using them, I feel quite sure myself as many here on the forum have had many fakes pass through their hands and were,nt aware.

When I 1st saw these headlines in my inbox I thought OMG, and quickly destroyed my printer and dumped it.

"German tourist arrested in Chiang Mai with inkjet printer"

Thought the printer police would be knocking on my door. dam_n now I have to go and buy a new printer.

Thanks mate for the advice. Threw all my printers in the garbage, because you never know what the printer cops will do to me. ( SPU= Special Printer Unit) I'll never buy a printer again without the SPU approval on it. :ph34r:

two people on the one topic with a sense of humour. Very refreshing indeed. The grumpy old men will be waking from thier afternoon naps soon.

hmmmmm.........

what if the whole conspiracy is hatched?

all the corrupt cops have to do is,

find a loaded cheerful farang, partying and having fun

spending bucks around.....

take him in........

and write a report he was found with fake notes & printer.......

printer from used shops from behind of Pantip....

hmmmm......

reasons.

get tea money from Farang to let him go. no money? make him stay......

close some fake notes open-cases and get brownie points

in a land of water scooter scams,

pat pong strip bar scams

anything can be done by the uniformed crooks to farans & foreigners to make a fast buck.

The German Embassy/Consulate should intervene and speak to accused

to see if the uniformed crooks are upto something or is accused really guilty

If not guilty, free him by giving Tea-money....

dont believe what you read in news...its all made up.......

this is the land of smiles & scams & tea moneys......

Edited by metisdead
Font size and color corrected, use default forum font when posting.

you are making assumptions of both quality of the forged banknotes and the intelligence of Mr Fuchs that are not warranted by the OP.

My own assumption is that he scanned real notes and attempted to print out realistic copies, and failed miserably. It has been tried before and usually falls down on the feel of the paper, not to mention the watermark.

I actually thought that Germans would be smarter!

Simon Fuchs, 30, was arrested in Muang district at 2 am. Police found 15 fake Bt500 notes with him and 3 fake Bt100 notes with him.

Simon says:" Hey fox, old Dummkopf,"

There's East and West Germany. Still not grown together. So many Russians became German, having a German name. Sorry, never wanted to blame any Russians, just a fact. Do the crime, do the time.

<deleted>

It's as simple as that.

Zimbabwa_0002.jpg

Fly to Zimbabwe to find it out..............

I found a picture of the German guy who stole the fake notes from this website here. This article suggest that the cops only took 40 minutes to find the guy!

<copyrighted photo deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Copyrighted photo removed, go to link provided to view photo.

The collective subconscious of this thread is most palpable...but paying for bar girls with fake notes is not a good idea: They still cash them in. If they're not stunners it will be tested in the first taxi they get into outside of your place because her purse is empty. Even if she is top shelf totty she will still go into the first 7-11 for some spicy piss-flavored shredded cardboard and come up against the dreaded blue light.

I suppose if you were on the move...i.e. you left the hotel at the same time...hmm

My god! All you need is an inkjet printer and you can pass off fake notes. That is the most unbelievable part.

Could thee reason why he got caught be that his copies weren't good enough to pay the BIB.

Who says he actually got away with getting anyone to accept any. Maybe a bar girl or two, but a taxi driver? You might as well hand it to a policeman.

Probable be better to hand it to the Policeman, as they generally put it away fairly quick and at the end of the day he would'nt know from wich Farang he got it.

dont believe what you read in news...its all made up.......

I don't believe this story. He printed Thai bank notes using standard (80 gram A4?) paper and an ink-jet printer?

And the taxi driver actually accepted the money and only found out when he tried to cash it at a 7-eleven?

Someone please tell the full story. It appears that crucial parts are missing to make any sense.

if you use the fake money to buy an illegal item (fake dvd, fake leather bag or cloths) or illegal prostitution service, can you really be booked for it ?

Ah!!!! 2 wrongs make a RIGHT?????????

No. Three LEFTs make a right.

OzMick, you shouldn't have let the bank get away with that and should have insisted they take responsibility. I would have camped out at the bank until they did.

Ah! the basic farang primal scream at being ripped off. After you've been here for a few years you will get used to it, and it won't hurt so much. A bit like being in prison from what I'm told.

Edited by OzMick