German Tourist Arrested In Chiang Mai With Fake Banknotes

webfact

I would have thought the taxi driver would be so elated to see a 500bht note that he would not have realized it was fake. I wonder if a bargirl would notice a fake??

I understand the taxi driver could not change the note and went in to a 7/11 to do this , the clerk spotted the fake and they called the cops whllst dumbkopf sat in the taxi waiting for his change, guess it will be a while before he gets back to Germany.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MANY years ago, I used to file pennies down to the size of dimes, buy something from a vending machine that cost $.15 and make $.03 plus the item. Then I lost it all by getting greedy and filing quarters down to the size of nickels. ;-)

MANY years ago, I used to file pennies down to the size of dimes, buy something from a vending machine that cost $.15 and make $.03 plus the item. Then I lost it all by getting greedy and filing quarters down to the size of nickels. ;-)

A penny is GBP 0.01. What the heck is a dime?

A quarter of a Pound is 0.75 pennies, but what is a nickel? I mean, I know that nickel is a metal, but "a" nickel?

A quarter of a Pound is 0.75 pennies, but what is a nickel? I mean, I know that nickel is a metal, but "a" nickel?

Google is your friend

Google is your friend

Thanks, I found quarter-pounder.

You hear these words a lot in movies, songs and expressions. I guess because you are from the UK you couldn't make the connection as to what they mean. Nickel is 5. So a nickel is 5 cents, a nickel bag is slang for something that costs $5, double nickel is slang for a 55mph speed limit. There is also the expression "if I had a nickel for every time.." again meaning 5 cents. There is also the combination expression of "nickel and dime me to death", meaning you think you are paying too much.

Dime is 10, so a dime is 10 cents. Brother can you spare a dime? is the name of a song, It's a beggar asking for 10 cents. Stop on a dime, that's an expression that means you have good brakes on your motor so you won't damage your bonnet because you can't stop in time for the tailback on the motorway. A dime bag is slang for something that costs $10, a dime a dozen is an expression that means something is common.

They were both a lot more common in America years ago, (and American movies) but because of inflation they're not so common. For many years a bottle of fizzy drink in the states cost a nickel. And for a long time the phone box cost a dime, which I think is where the expression "its your dime" comes from.

You hear these words a lot in movies, songs and expressions. I guess because you are from the UK you couldn't make the connection as to what they mean.

Not even from the UK, I'm from a country that does not even use English as their main language. Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Nickel is 5. So a nickel is 5 cents, ...

Where does this come from? I though nickel was a metal.

Dime is 10.

Really? I though deca (not dime) was ten.

You hear these words a lot in movies, songs and expressions. I guess because you are from the UK you couldn't make the connection as to what they mean.

Not even from the UK, I'm from a country that does not even use English as their main language. Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Nickel is 5. So a nickel is 5 cents, ...

Where does this come from? I though nickel was a metal.

Dime is 10.

Really? I though deca (not dime) was ten.

Nickel is a metal, but much like many words they can have more than one definition. Deca may mean ten but if you needed 10 cents, you would have better luck asking for a dime.

Edited by MisterBean

You hear these words a lot in movies, songs and expressions. I guess because you are from the UK you couldn't make the connection as to what they mean. Nickel is 5. So a nickel is 5 cents, a nickel bag is slang for something that costs $5, double nickel is slang for a 55mph speed limit. There is also the expression "if I had a nickel for every time.." again meaning 5 cents. There is also the combination expression of "nickel and dime me to death", meaning you think you are paying too much.

Dime is 10, so a dime is 10 cents. Brother can you spare a dime? is the name of a song, It's a beggar asking for 10 cents. Stop on a dime, that's an expression that means you have good brakes on your motor so you won't damage your bonnet because you can't stop in time for the tailback on the motorway. A dime bag is slang for something that costs $10, a dime a dozen is an expression that means something is common.

They were both a lot more common in America years ago, (and American movies) but because of inflation they're not so common. For many years a bottle of fizzy drink in the states cost a nickel. And for a long time the phone box cost a dime, which I think is where the expression "its your dime" comes from.

That's very helpful, really! I've wondered about all that for years.

Linguists were saying that American and British English were drifting so far apart in the 70's that by now we'd all need dictionaries. But the exchange of films and TV series between the 2 helped stop the drift, so to speak.

And can you explain the difference between "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less", which apparently mean the same? Or was this done in another thread long ago??

Mister Bean, a dime bag and a nickel bag do not refer to just anything that costs 10 dollars or 5 dollars but is generally used in drug slang only.

And to nickel and dime someone to death has two meanings, either they keep adding on tiny hidden charges that end up costing a lot (ie a nickel charge and a dime charge and they add up to 10 dollars) or to a a person who is so tight they demand every last nickel and dime.

tombkk, I apologize if I offended you for accusing you of being from the UK. You mentioned GBP and so I assumed that's where you were from.

Disclaimer: Begin tongue in cheek.

I should have guessed that you weren't from the UK since you wrote a quarter of a pound is 0.75 pennies. A quarter of a GBP is equal to 25 pennies. Unless of course I am mistaken once again and you are referring to something you copped on the high street that was 3 pence per pound. Did you score on the high street?

I would also like to apologize for the slip shod job I did in explaining nickels and dimes. I will try to do better, I'm working from memory, I'm not about to do any revision for this.

A nickel is 5 cents, but more accurately it is a 5 cent coin. They were originally made from nickel, which is where the name comes from. I feel dead silly for not mentioning that in the first place, I blame it on the trouble and strife with the loud telly and all. With this lot, it's a knees-up here all the time, and after a while I have to make a mad dash for the paracetamol.

If I had a nickel for every time I forgot something when I do the messages, I'd be rich. Thats an example of the phrase that I did not finish in my other post. You can fill the last part after "for every time" in with whatever suits the situation, in this case you can see what happens to me when I do the messages, and its always bread too, don't know why that is. It means that you have heard or done something so many times that if you had a nickel for each time, you would be rich. It is an expression that implies exaggeration, so it may not have actually happened that many times.

You don't hear the phrase double nickel much since most US states have raised the speed limits. Back in the 70's the truckers would use this expression on the double bars all the time. Smokey was a problem if you didn't keep it on the double nickel so the double bars helped to keep smokey from being on the down low.

A dime is 10 cents but again more accurately it is a 10 cent coin. Like I said stop on a dime means you have good brakes, I guess they use dime because the dime is so small, it wouldn't be as impressive if you said you could stop on a toonie.

I should also point out that with both nickels and dimes you may have a problem at the cash point. As far as I know all ABM's don't take nickels, even wooden ones (which you shouldn't be taking either). This isn't really news though, anyone who has used a bank machine should know you can't use nickels. Many years ago, I forgot one time at the insta-teller and I almost buggered it up. Lucky for me there was a bloke there to point out my epic fail.

I see the poster s bk disagrees with my definitions. Well then, I have a bone to pick with you. My use of the word something does not imply anything, as you have inferred. I did not say it refers to anything as that would be inaccurate. I might be willing to give anything for something, but I would not be willing to give something for anything. While I don't disagree that it is usually used in reference to drugs, it is not exclusive, which you seem to be aware of since you chose to use the word generally instead of the more convincing word exclusively. I stand by my albeit somewhat incomplete definition, that it refers to something costing $5 or $10.

As far as the expression nickel and dime me to death, while I agree with you that it is a result of many additional charges, they don't have to be hidden to be able to use this expression. if I went into a store for a biro and pop and they had signs stating there was a bag charge, an air-con charge, a refrigeration charge, and a twist off charge, I would still feel like I was being nickeled and dimed to death. I am not familiar with second meaning for the term "nickel and dime me to death' regarding cheapskates. Can anyone give me an example of its use in this context?

End tongue in cheek.

Regarding the plight of Mr Fuchs. While it is not a recommended method for spotting fakes due to the sophistication of some, rubbing a dry tissue on these copies would likely have revealed their authenticity. If you rub a real note you will see the color of the note on the tissue. Proper forgeries can not be detected this way. What I don't get is how he forged the foil strip, unless he didn't and they were really terrible copies.