BANGKOK 16 February 2019 06:49
endure

Bookshelf /Cd/Dvd Rack

Would it be a good idea if we had a sticky topic in the forum where we could recommend books and movies that might be of interest to gay folks?

Probably the best way to test its viability is to do it. It'll die a death if no-one's interested.

Easy to put in a few standards, Alan Hollinghurst, Colm Toibin etc... but what's the chance of people recommending new publications?

Easy to put in a few standards, Alan Hollinghurst, Colm Toibin etc... but what's the chance of people recommending new publications?

There you go - I'd never heard of Colm Toibin till now.

I'll start off with 'Crystal Boys' by Pai Hsien-Yung (translated by Howard Goldblatt). It's a novel about gay life in Taipei in the 1970s. The gay world was called the 'glass community' and the people who inhabited it were the Glass (or Crystal) Boys.

A-Qing gets caught with a supervisor at his high school and gets kicked out of house and home and runs away to join Chief Yang's gang of Crystal Boys.

Taiwan PBS made a 20 episode series for TV which I have copies of. Unfortunately the only subs on it are Chinese!

"There are no days in our kingdom, only nights. As soon as the sun comes up , our kingdom goes into hiding, for it is an unlawful nation; we have no government and no constitution, we are neither respected nor recognised by anyone, our citizenry is little more than rabble."

Edited by endure

I'll start off with 'Crystal Boys' by Pai Hsien-Yung (translated by Howard Goldblatt). It's a novel about gay life in Taipei in the 1970s. The gay world was called the 'glass community' and the people who inhabited it were the Glass (or Crystal) Boys.

A-Qing gets caught with a supervisor at his high school and gets kicked out of house and home and runs away to join Chief Yang's gang of Crystal Boys.

Taiwan PBS made a 20 episode series for TV which I have copies of. Unfortunately the only subs on it are Chinese!

"There are no days in our kingdom, only nights. As soon as the sun comes up , our kingdom goes into hiding, for it is an unlawful nation; we have no government and no constitution, we are neither respected nor recognised by anyone, our citizenry is little more than rabble."

Wow, that sounds interesting. Gay life in Taipei must have been horrible in the 1970s. I lived there around the turn of the millenium and it was in transition. I hear that Taipei has a quite interesting gay scene now.

I'd be interested in reading a novel based on gay life in Taipei in the 1970s.

• Like 2

The first 'gay' novel I ever read. First published in 1974.

'The Front Runner' by Patricia Nell Warren. A story about a closeted running coach who's lumbered with three new runners who've been kicked out of their previous college for being gay. Supposedly a 'gay classic' - it was pretty brave for the time and quite a good story.

• Thanks 1

Colm Toibin, The Blackwater Lightship, 1999. About Declan, dying of AIDS, and the three women in his family.

The Story of the Night, 1996. Gay life in Argentina

Colm Toibin, The Blackwater Lightship, 1999. About Declan, dying of AIDS, and the three women in his family.

The Story of the Night, 1996. Gay life in Argentina

That's the point I was trying to make. Just because you've read it doesn't mean that I have. That's the reason we need a library.

Agreed, Endure. Until I got those two off the shelf to list them, I didn't realise how recent they were.

Toibin has written, I think, three other novels which, I would guess, have gay content. The Master, however, about James Joyce, is not gay.

Well, if you gents will keep this topic current for at least a week or two, I'll dig through the archives and find some of the other similar topics and smush it all together. With strawberries.

Agreed, Endure. Until I got those two off the shelf to list them, I didn't realise how recent they were.

Toibin has written, I think, three other novels which, I would guess, have gay content. The Master, however, about James Joyce, is not gay.

Sorry, Henry James, not James Joyce. My mistake; couldn't be more different.

Well, if you gents will keep this topic current for at least a week or two, I'll dig through the archives and find some of the other similar topics and smush it all together. With strawberries.

I'm not sure about the strawberries.

But I think I can contribute to that week, if you allow foreign-language books.