No Room For Red Shirts In New Thai Cabinet

webfact

No room for Red Shirts in new Thai cabinet

BANGKOK, August 10, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's new Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra finalised her new cabinet on Tuesday, leaving out controversial leaders of the "Red Shirt" protest movement which helped propel her to power.

Yingluck took office on Monday with a vow to reunite the troubled nation after years of turmoil following the ouster of her brother Thaksin, including mass street protests by his Red Shirt supporters last year that turned deadly.

Several Red Shirt leaders were elected as lawmakers with Yingluck's Puea Thai party but missed out on cabinet appointments that could have angered Thaksin's foes in military, government and palace circles.

The finance minister's post went to Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala, a former secretary general of financial watchdog the Securities and Exchange Commission.

General Yuthasak Sasiprapa, a close ally of Thaksin, was tapped as defence minister -- a key role for the new ruling party, which has endured difficult relations with the military following its overthrow of Thaksin in 2006.

Yuthasak was a deputy defence minister under the former billionaire telecoms tycoon-turned-premier Thaksin, who lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a jail sentence imposed in his absence for corruption.

The foreign minister's job went to Surapong Tovichakchaikul, 58, a relatively unknown lawmaker with Yingluck's Puea Thai party. The line-up was announced after receiving approval from Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Yingluck, a 44-year-old political novice, was elected as Thailand's first female premier in a parliamentary vote on Friday.

She swept to an election victory last month with the support of her brother Thaksin, who is hailed by many rural Thais for his populist policies while in power but loathed by the Bangkok-based ruling elite.

Yingluck, a businesswoman described by her brother as his "clone", faces the tough challenge of bringing unity to the politically volatile kingdom.

The situation escalated last year when more than 90 people, mostly civilians, were killed in clashes between the army and Red Shirt protesters.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-08-10

related topics regarding cabinet line-up

Thai Cabinet Members Under Pressure Following Poll Promises

Thumbs Up For New Economic Team; Thai Cabinet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The foreign minister's job went to Surapong Tovichakchaikul, 58, a relatively unknown lawmaker with Yingluck's Puea Thai party.

Not completely "unknown" to those who that are fans of large, over-sized, caricatures of the Party Financier.

Can't they even try to be a little more subtle???

Subtlety isn't their strong suit as Chiang Mai's Pheu Thai Party candidate Surapong Towichakchaikul displayed on the campaign trail during the last election:

pap1.jpg

http://www.oknation.net/blog/print.php?id=365032

Foreign Minister?

:cheesy:

Edited by Buchholz

Hell I feel sorry for all those that express negativity willy nilly without any thoughts or ability to being proactive and creative and see the good actions that are already happening.

It's easier to be critical than be correct.

Give the Lady a chance...... its easy to say "i told you so" later if she does get it wrong......but so far she's doing just fine with her stated aims during the election run-up.

But whatever.....as farangs we are powerless, there is not a damned thing we can do to change anything.

Settle back in ur armchair pick up ur beer and .......Enjoy the ride.

Now watch the Flames arrive.

Only three cabinet ministers mentioned there (I think). So who are the rest? Who is she kow-towing to now? If not the Reds, then who?

related topics regarding cabinet line-up

Thai Cabinet Members Under Pressure Following Poll Promises

Thumbs Up For New Economic Team; Thai Cabinet

Hell I feel sorry for all those that express negativity willy nilly without any thoughts or ability to being proactive and creative and see the good actions that are already happening.

Give the Lady a chance...... its easy to say "i told you so" later if she does get it wrong......but so far she's doing just fine with her stated aims during the election run-up.

But whatever.....as farangs we are powerless, there is not a damned thing we can do to change anything.

Agree with your sentiments 100%

When will they take to the streets protesting the ruleing elites. heheheheheh love it you fools got jacked after going to the barricades for your daddy

Hey Moe, It was the Russian,s who coined the phrase "useful idiots" to the Communist sympathizer,s in the West , I just wonder if Thaksin thinks the same of the Red Shirts!,BTW "jacked" is not a suitable word ,more like well and truly "shafted" is far more appropriate ,LOL.

The foreign minister's job went to Surapong Tovichakchaikul, 58, a relatively unknown lawmaker with Yingluck's Puea Thai party.

Not completely "unknown" to those who that are fans of large, over-sized, caricatures of the Party Financier.

Can't they even try to be a little more subtle???

Subtlety isn't their strong suit as Chiang Mai's Pheu Thai Party candidate Surapong Towichakchaikul displayed on the campaign trail during the last election:

pap1.jpg

http://www.oknation....t.php?id=365032

Foreign Minister?

:cheesy:

The foreign ministers post goes to a relative unknown. And this is after one of the worst five year periods in the nations history. The nations reputation worldwide is in tatters, and lets appoint an unknown to try to repair that image. Smart move. Either it means there is zero regard for what the world thinks, or the cronyism is so strong they could not appoint someone else. The entire world laughed when Kasit sat down with Hun Sen. Hun Sen ate him for lunch, and then spit out the bones. Now, another potentially incompetent man in that post. I wonder if he speaks good english? Amusing Thailand.

Why do you feel sorry for us?? We are not expressing negativity, only expressing our thoughts as to how we see this playing out.

Don't worry!!! I will be saying "I told you so" you can be sure of that, if things go pear shaped as I suspect and predict they will.

What do you mean things are going fine so far!!! - her stated aims (sweeteners/vote garnering) during the election run up will come back to haunt her as she PROMISED ill-advised and unaffordable policies that will impact business and industry negatively (whoops used that word) and for which they were berating as being inadvisable (to the extreme) as it will massively increase their labour costs and decrease competitiveness meaning that they will have to lay off workers - and replace them with machines where they can!! She will stoke inflation, have to raise interests rates on account of this, create mass unemployment and increase peoples (especially the poor's) cost of living - after costing them their job maybe!!! Exporters will struggle (strong Baht) and immigration from Burma primarily will oust Thai's from their jobs.

Doing fine!!! Do me a favour.

What about those tablets - wow!! I bet all the children were saying please vote Pheu Thai as I want my tablet - I see that the new minister responsible for implementing this is already putting a get-out-clause in place by saying he will discuss it with advisors first before deciding how (whether I think he really means) to push it or not. Maybe they will not be getting their early christmas present after all. On this, it is clearly a dumb and stupid idea as countless education academics and guru's have stated that this will not provide any benefits to their education and they will simply play games on them - still it will keep them amused I suppose if it is implemented and get them "out of mum's hair for a while" so will serve some purpose.;).

You are right on one thing and that is that we cannot do a damned thing about it - too true. but why should we worry as we won't be the ones it will affect negatively (sorry, that word again).

I'm going to enjoy the ride alright as I can't wait to bring out my "I told you so" postings in the near future Ha Ha Ha!!! :D and thanks for the invitation to have a drink!!

Well that piece is from AFP, an international press agency that has no horse in Thailand's race. I don't know who you're going to find that has a better reputation for fair and accurate reporting.

My only complaint, as a journalist, is that lazy trope they pull out yet again here -- 'loathed by the Bangkok-based ruling elite'. True, as far as it goes, but the opposition to him is a lot bigger than that, and includes many millions of ordinary middle-class and even lower-class Thais.

And as for Red Shirters like Apiwan selflessly turning down cabinet posts for the benefit of the nation, well, believe whatever you like. We'll never know for sure, but I think most long-time observers are taking it as pure spin.

HM the King endorses new cabinet

image_20110810101708B1B18E9D-060F-6693-488B372786852523.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 10 -- His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej on Tuesday night gave royal endorsement to the 35-member cabinet lineup of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thailand's first female prime minister.

The list of cabinet members was submitted to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary via the Cabinet secretary-general earlier on Tuesday for royal endorsement.

No core leader of the Red Shirt (the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship, UDD) movement has been given a ministerial post.

Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala, former secretary general of Thailand's Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) will be finance minister facing a huge task amid the world economic and financial crisis.

Kittirat Na Ranong, former president of the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET), will become commerce minister and concurrently deputy prime minister.

The Prime Minister's choice for minister of foreign affairs was Pheu Thai deputy leader Surapong Towijakchaikul from Chiang Mai, the same hometown as Ms Yingluck.

Mr Surapong graduated in engineering with bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and has close link with the Shinawatra family as his aunt is married to Ms Yingluck's uncle.

There are three female ministers in Ms Yingluck's Cabinet--Krissana Sihaluck as minister attach to the prime minister's office, Sukumol Khunplome as minister of culture and Boonruen Sritharet as deputy minister of Education.

Apart from Mr Kittirat, the other deputy prime ministers are Yongyuth Wichaidit, concurrently interior minister; Chumpol Silapa-archa, also tourism and sports minister; Pol Gen Kowit Wattana and Capt Chalerm Yoobumroong.

Gen Yuttasak Sasiprapa is appointed as defence minister while Santi Prompat is social development and human security minister.

ACM Sukampol Suwannathat will take up the transport portfolio. He was a classmate of fugitive ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Class 10 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School.

Ms Yingluck is the youngest sister of Mr Thaksin.

Taking up the natural resources and environment portfolio is Preecha Rengsomboonsuk, while Gp Capt Anudit Nakorntap is information and communications technology minister. The energy minister is Pichai Nariptapan while former police chief Pol Gen Pracha Promnok takes up the justice post.

Padermchai Sasomsap is the labour minister while Plodprasop Suraswadi is science and technology minister. Worawat Ua-apinyakul is minister of education and public health minister is Witthaya Buranasiri.

Ms Yingluck was scheduled to lead her new cabinet to take the oath of allegiance before His Majesty the King at Siriraj Hospital on Wednesday at 5.30pm. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-08-10

The post is hardly worthy of a flame! However. I would be interested in what you consider "......... the good actions that are already happening."

The new foreign minister (copied and pasted)

Opposition Puea Thai member of parliament Surapong Towichakchaikul, a core UDD activist, earlier donated his blood and sprayed it dramatically at a portrait of Mr Abhisit

Well stated and well worth repeating.

Haha the reds will be back a'burning within 6 months :lol:....this time though Thaksin will be on top of the pyre! :lol:

Err, right... so you are suggesting that the alleged paymaster of the reds will be paying them to come after himself. I'm at a loss to find a suitable adjective to describe your comment.

And if you think I'm going to use my 1,000th post to engage in an petty, illogical discussion based on hatred and sour grapes you are very much mista.... oh.

New Cabinet Gets Royal Endorsement

His Majesty the King has approved the cabinet line-up of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The new cabinet ministers will be sworn in before His Majesty at Siriraj Hospital this evening.

His Majesty the King endorsed the new Cabinet presented by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Among notable appointments to the cabinet are Yongyuth Wichaidit as Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister, Police Captain Chalerm Yoobumrung as Deputy Prime Minister, Kittirat Na Ranong as Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister, General Yutthasak Sasiprapha as Defense Minister, Theerachai Phuwanartnaranuban as Finance Minister, Surapong Towijakchaikul as Foreign Minister, Plodprasop Surasawadee as Science and Technology Minister, and Wittaya Buranasiri as Public Health Minister.

The new cabinet ministers will be sworn in before His Majesty the King at Siriraj Hospital today at 5.30 P.M.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-10

footer_n.gif

Part quote from the AFP article:

"Several Red Shirt leaders were elected as lawmakers with Yingluck's Puea Thai party but missed out on cabinet appointments that could have angered Thaksin's foes in military, government and palace circles".

AFP writers (I didn't say journalists) seem to be obsessed with this line.

It's also true that red leaders in the actual cabinet would have upset a very large section of the general public.

Haha the reds will be back a'burning within 6 months :lol:....this time though Thaksin will be on top of the pyre! :lol:

Err, right... so you are suggesting that the alleged paymaster of the reds will be paying them to come after himself. I'm at a loss to find a suitable adjective to describe your comment.

And if you think I'm going to use my 1,000th post to engage in an petty, illogical discussion based on hatred and sour grapes you are very much mista.... oh.

:D

The post is hardly worthy of a flame! However. I would be interested in what you consider "......... the good actions that are already happening."

Tax rebate system seems to be speeding up !

wrong....this time there will be nobody to finance the reds for any street protest movement.

I do hope You are not suggesting for one moment that the red stormtoopers were actually on the Thaksin payroll are you?,LOL. Edited by Colin Yai