No Room For Red Shirts In New Thai Cabinet

webfact

And they did get in, high on the party-list, so they're not going to 'rock the boat' now, if they see multiple-retractions of pre-election promises, it's only the poor who get shafted time-after-time. :(

But there is always humour to be found, in seeing politicians run-for-cover or back-peddling faster-than the 'Road-Runner', once they've got the power they sought. Making fun of them, as they do this, ("it was only a campaign speech" for example ?) might be like shooting fish in a barrel, but also serves usefully to expose the hypocrisy of it all ! :rolleyes:

So why not use humour, and give ourselves a laugh, at the same time ? B)

nah, i'm 100% for having a laugh about some of the 'amazing' acts we see in politics....my post didn't mean 'don't make fun of anyone' at all, more of that i say

i just thought it was a bit hypocritical of people that were expecting the red shirt leaders to be given seats and would have been in here in uproar if it happened, instead they mock the opposite move

in other words no matter what action they took, they couldn't do it the right way for anyone here

but yeah, my point wasn't about humour being used

Couldn't agree more.

People still don't get that the red shirt movement didn't come into being for the purposes of becoming powerful in Parliament. The clue here is that from the outset they didn't form their own political party. Instead, I believe they see themselves as a pressure group that will call to account any government including the PTP which doesn't instill a sense of equality in the general running of the country and in doing so, improving the living standards of a large section of Thai society whose most valuable asset is probably their vote.

The UDD has some PTP MPs now as recognition of the votes they brought to the PTP but if anyone is so narrow minded as to still think the UDD and PTP are birds of a feather, they will see the UDD members speaking out against PTP measures should they differ too widely from what UDD supporters believe in.

It is not unimaginable to believe that a couple of years down the line the UDD may be demonstrating for the ousting of the PTP government to the benefit of the Dems or other opposition.

So basically, all those who think the 'reds got shafted' by PTP should look at the possibility that they might actually have been rewarded commensurately with their contribution to the PTP. After all the reds already mainly got what they wanted from the PTP - the chance to get rid of the Dems. Having some of their leaders put on the PTP party list was probably the least the PTP could do and it is just as well they didn't give them more, for the sake of stability in government and the nation at large.

So let the naysayers who condemn and jeer at anything the red shirt movement does just for the sake of repeating a mantra either have a quick chat with a Thai red shirt supporter to find out the current mood on the street, or immediately renew their membership of 'Farangs Unreservedly Claiming Knowledge Without Insight into Thai Society'.

I think you should talk to one of the red shirt leaders the supporters are just canon fodder for them, Also figure out who pays the bills for this bunch and who in the movement got most of the money.They will be discarded when the square head gets all that he wants and they are no longer needed.

The red shirts already got what they wanted - rid of the Dem government. So what if the red shirts get 'discarded'? PTP used the reds and the reds used the PTP to get what they wanted. Mission accomplished for both groups. If the PTP ends up allowing the same kind of military interference in politics whilst appearing as ineffectual as the Dems did over their last term, the reds will be on their backs eventually anyway.

Edited by hanuman1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The problem is that 91 died.

That's certainly one problem that could become a bone of contention between the PTP and UDD if the army are allowed to continue to stonewall investigations into many of the deaths by influencing the DSI. Mind you, look how long it took a British government to apologize for Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland.

Edited by hanuman1

The other one is that Thaksin wants an amnesty, and that will kick off another round of who knows what, and the problem with the 91 that died is that Thaksin is up to his eyeballs in that chapter too, so dont expect too much from any 'invetsigations'.

Edited by longway

nah, i'm 100% for having a laugh about some of the 'amazing' acts we see in politics....my post didn't mean 'don't make fun of anyone' at all, more of that i say

i just thought it was a bit hypocritical of people that were expecting the red shirt leaders to be given seats and would have been in here in uproar if it happened, instead they mock the opposite move

in other words no matter what action they took, they couldn't do it the right way for anyone here

Couldn't agree more.

People still don't get that the red shirt movement didn't come into being for the purposes of becoming powerful in Parliament. The clue here is that from the outset they didn't form their own political party. Instead, I believe they see themselves as a pressure group that will call to account any government including the PTP which doesn't instill a sense of equality in the general running of the country and in doing so, improving the living standards of a large section of Thai society whose most valuable asset is probably their vote.

The UDD has some PTP MPs now as recognition of the votes they brought to the PTP but if anyone is so narrow minded as to still think the UDD and PTP are birds of a feather, they will see the UDD members speaking out against PTP measures should they differ too widely from what UDD supporters believe in.

It is not unimaginable to believe that a couple of years down the line the UDD may be demonstrating for the ousting of the PTP government to the benefit of the Dems or other opposition.

So basically, all those who think the 'reds got shafted' by PTP should look at the possibility that they might actually have been rewarded commensurately with their contribution to the PTP. After all the reds already mainly got what they wanted from the PTP - the chance to get rid of the Dems. Having some of their leaders put on the PTP party list was probably the least the PTP could do and it is just as well they didn't give them more, for the sake of stability in government and the nation at large.

So let the naysayers who condemn and jeer at anything the red shirt movement does just for the sake of repeating a mantra either have a quick chat with a Thai red shirt supporter to find out the current mood on the street, or immediately renew their membership of 'Farangs Unreservedly Claiming Knowledge Without Insight into Thai Society'.

Thanks to nurofiend for the clarification, jokes don't kill, unlike grenades or bamboo-spears or APCs. :thumbsup: Of course the red-leaders did get their seats as MPs, and the useful parliamentary-privileges that they carry, hope that they don't now forget to help those of their supporters still in jail, who need legal-support not just roses at the prison-gates.

hanuman1's point about the future of the UDD, possibly demonstrating down-the-line & helping keep the new government honest & delivering on its promises-to-the-poor, is a good one. UDD may well develop, much as the PAD did with the Dems, a couple of years ago. But if many of their leaders are MPs in the government-coalition, and financial-support for the Reds from overseas is cut-back, will this still happen ?

Pity the red-leader MPs don't hold the balance-of-power, then they might not have Thaksin back-tracking on the 300B/day immediate national-minimum-wage promise, or Plodprasop taking about "only campaign speeches", if they did.

Does Khun Thida, the non-Thaksin-loyalist acting-leader of the UDD, have real support or is she now being sidelined ? I hope it is the former, but fear it is the latter. Time will tell. B)

Couldn't agree more.

Thanks to nurofiend for the clarification, jokes don't kill, unlike grenades or bamboo-spears or APCs. :thumbsup: Of course the red-leaders did get their seats as MPs, and the useful parliamentary-privileges that they carry, hope that they don't now forget to help those of their supporters still in jail, who need legal-support not just roses at the prison-gates.

uh you seem to have forgot what killed most people....bullets from hand held guns :thumbsup:

and don't argue with a point i wasn't making....obviously i was talking about cabinet seats.....please read title for clarification

Couldn't agree more.

I think you should talk to one of the red shirt leaders the supporters are just canon fodder for them, Also figure out who pays the bills for this bunch and who in the movement got most of the money.They will be discarded when the square head gets all that he wants and they are no longer needed.

The red shirts already got what they wanted - rid of the Dem government. So what if the red shirts get 'discarded'? PTP used the reds and the reds used the PTP to get what they wanted. Mission accomplished for both groups. If the PTP ends up allowing the same kind of military interference in politics whilst appearing as ineffectual as the Dems did over their last term, the reds will be on their backs eventually anyway.

Actually what the red shirts want is a better lot in life. If you think they won't mind being 'discarded' you have no clue at all. They'll be after this government too if it doesn't deliver. Which it won't.