How Much Does It Cost For A Nice Life In Bangkok

Golden Retriever

OP, as you might expect, this topic has been beat to death in dozens of prior threads.

As mentioned, it all depends on what you mean by "nice".

You want air con, or is a fan OK? If air con, how big is your place?

You want to drink out, or are a few cans of beer on the porch each night enough for you?

Need high-speed broadband Internet, or is dial-up OK?

Want premium cable TV, or is free to air alright with you?

Gonna dine out every meal? If so, on the street or at nice restaurants?

Or, are you gonna cook? If so, farang ingredients food or is local stuff OK?

Gonna hit the movies now and then or just buy 100 baht DVD's?

I live what I think is a nice life in Korat, with UBC, broadband internet, air con, all meals out except breakfast, beer on the porch, cheap DVD's and a road trip once a month (including hotels) for about 30,000 baht. I could easily be just as amused on half that.

Hmmm...in the city, hanging out with expats, drinking out quite a bit, nice food, shopping, entertaining / entertainment etc etc etc you need at least 50K I say.

Low key life in the suburbs with a Thai wife / GF you could prob be fine on 30K.

OP, as you might expect, this topic has been beat to death in dozens of prior threads.

As mentioned, it all depends on what you mean by "nice".

You want air con, or is a fan OK? If air con, how big is your place?

You want to drink out, or are a few cans of beer on the porch each night enough for you?

Need high-speed broadband Internet, or is dial-up OK?

Want premium cable TV, or is free to air alright with you?

Gonna dine out every meal? If so, on the street or at nice restaurants?

Or, are you gonna cook? If so, farang ingredients food or is local stuff OK?

Gonna hit the movies now and then or just buy 100 baht DVD's?

I live what I think is a nice life in Korat, with UBC, broadband internet, air con, all meals out except breakfast, beer on the porch, cheap DVD's and a road trip once a month (including hotels) for about 30,000 baht. I could easily be just as amused on half that.

Thanks for so much information for me. I need air conditioner, my house is around (as I expected) 150 SQM, i need a high speed internet cable, premium cable TV, eat at nice restaurants frequently, have entertainment, nice cloths, cosmetics. How much does it cost?

:o

Thanks for so much information for me. I need air conditioner, my house is around (as I expected) 150 SQM, i need a high speed internet cable, premium cable TV, eat at nice restaurants frequently, have entertainment, nice cloths, cosmetics. How much does it cost?

:o

For Bangkok excluding house, travel, and big ticket toys: a good calibre, western lifestyle with all the trimmings: 50K baht/month would be a good number.

I tend to spend like a <deleted> when I'm in Bkk. Last month I was there for 10 days and shed over £1000 excluding flights - ok I was on holiday and was having a "nice life" but at that rate I'd say (£1000 * 3 * 73) 219,000+ THB per month would be just about right..... :D:o

Have a look at this thread:

What It Costs Me To Live In Korat

There are many other similar threads.

thanks!! it is very useful for me.

UBC Cable TV.............1,500

KCTV (Cable TV)............350

Max Net Internet...........750

TT&T.......................500

Newspaper..................620

Electricity...............2000

Water......................500

Auto fuel.................2000

Car Maintenance......2000

Laundry.....................80

School....................1000

Breakfast..................340

Lunch....................3,000

Dinner...................6,000

Happy Hour...............3,000

Garland....................300

Mobile Phone...............600

Household Supplies.......5,000

==============================

Total...................29,540

I guess, this amount just support the basic life.

Korat is hardly relevant to this thread. I agree with Lop's 80K number

It's relevant only because costs of basic commodoties are similar. Granted, food is a bit cheaper in Korat and the temptations to spend are much greater in Bangkok, but when you're talking basic needs and eliminating rent, you can probably live a similar life style in each place on similar money.

Of course, had anyone bothered to post what they actually spend in Bangkok it wouldn't have been necessary for me to mention my costs in Korat....

Korat is hardly relevant to this thread. I agree with Lop's 80K number

It's relevant only because costs of basic commodoties are similar. Granted, food is a bit cheaper in Korat and the temptations to spend are much greater in Bangkok, but when you're talking basic needs and eliminating rent, you can probably live a similar life style in each place on similar money.

Of course, had anyone bothered to post what they actually spend in Bangkok it wouldn't have been necessary for me to mention my costs in Korat....

rough figure is helpful enough, thanks everyone

Am I the only one that finds it mildy amusing that someone itemizes down to the last 10 Baht yet does not have a 'Miscellaneous' line item?

No inclusion of health insurance or medical expenses and visa status maintenance is also interesting, although the latter could of course be inapplicable.

12,340 Baht on breakfast, lunch, dinner and 'Happy Hour', yet only 80 Baht on laundry? :o

Am I the only one that finds it mildy amusing that someone itemizes down to the last 10 Baht yet does not have a 'Miscellaneous' line item?

No inclusion of health insurance or medical expenses and visa status maintenance is also interesting, although the latter could of course be inapplicable.

12,340 Baht on breakfast, lunch, dinner and 'Happy Hour', yet only 80 Baht on laundry? :o

Excuse me but It's not very expensive to take your cloths to the river and beat it on the rocks to clean :D . Sorry for the smart ass comment. i'm just teasing

Excuse me but It's not very expensive to take your cloths to the river and beat it on the rocks to clean :o .  Sorry for the smart ass comment. i'm just teasing

Nor is washing powder, water and electricity for a few loads a week in a washing machine.

Included water and electricity so 80 baht for powder a month sounds good.

YBB

12,340 Baht on breakfast, lunch, dinner and 'Happy Hour', yet only 80 Baht on laundry?  :o

Hey Noel, there is a line at the bottom of the post you must have missed:

"I guess, this amount just support the basic life."

YBB

You can beat it to death all you want, but that's what we spend.

We do the laundry at home. The 80 baht is to have large items washed commercially twice a month.

We almost never go out for dinner. When we do, the bill is 300-500 baht. Normally dinner costs 40 baht for the two of us.

I left out health insurance because it is paid by my pension and because evryone's situation is so variable.

PUtting in a miscelaneous item wouldn't be very helpful, would it?

What I was trying to do with that budget was to show exactly what one person spends for one specific lifestyle in one specific place. It wasn't intended to be all-inclusive or fit all lifestyles.

Remember, when you've been coming to Thailand as a tourist, you have little idea of what basic living costs are for a resident: things like electricity, TV, laundry, etc.

Itemizing a real monthly budget at leasts gives an idea of some real costs.

So, if you think mine is unrealisitic; accept this challenge: post yours.

How can a month's worth of dinners only cost 6000B ?

That is about 200B per evening, I don't think that will go too far in terms of dining out at "nice" restaurants, would it?

Good question, my niece shares a mortgage (with 1 other) and ALL living expenses (including a child) from a wage <10000 Baht a month as a salesperson in Big C.

She is really an amazing girl as she can even cook for herself. Imagine that, she doesn't have to dine out at "nice" restaurants everynight. Fanbloodytastic!

Who are these people that can't do stuff for themselves? Another fellow above mentioned "how can washing your clothes cost 80 baht a month" ...well hello, maybe people actually lift a finger and do things for themslves without paying others to do it for them.

I bet your mother does everything for you, even picks up your dirty underwear of the floor for you.

YBB

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

I've lived in Thailand now for 4 years on a company pension, which is more than most figures mentioned. I have tried to budget all the time, but it doesn't work out most of the time. Of course, I have my nestegg to draw from.

I found,with the best intentions in the world, you must have a contigency fund for the unexpected, which always comes in my case.

Just one visit from unexpected, though welcome friends, can throw your budget out the window, as will the a/con unit that needs replacing, or the car needing new tyres ( how can you tell I'm English?)

One month is never the same as the last. The time I got within 500baht of my target, I cheered. The next month, I was 10k out. !0k. Thats the figure you really need to be left with,after you have spent all your needs. Anything less, and it's hand to mouth living. I may point out. I don't eat out everynight, prefering my own cooking. I do go for a drink most nights, but spend, only about 4/500baht.

If you run an average size house the same as you do back home, it can cost almost as much as back home, shopping in Tesco's. Of course this is up to the individual. If one drops their standards, thats up to them. I never came here to live like an Issan Thai. (sorry) :o

You can beat it to death all you want, but that's what we spend.

We do the laundry at home. The 80 baht is to have large items washed commercially twice a month.

We almost never go out for dinner. When we do, the bill is 300-500 baht. Normally dinner costs 40 baht for the two of us.

I left out health insurance because it is paid by my pension and because evryone's situation is so variable.

PUtting in a miscelaneous item wouldn't be very helpful, would it?

What I was trying to do with that budget was to show exactly what one person spends for one specific lifestyle in one specific place. It wasn't intended to be all-inclusive or fit all lifestyles.

Remember, when you've been coming to Thailand as a tourist, you have little idea of what basic living costs are for a resident: things like electricity, TV, laundry, etc.

Itemizing a real monthly budget at leasts gives an idea of some real costs.

So, if you think mine is unrealisitic; accept this challenge: post yours.

I was not actually challenging your cost analysis, I was partially alluding to the fact that it is easy to miss things out although accept I did not make that clear.

I could actually post a comprehensive breakdown of my actual monthly expenses going back years, but I have no intention of doing so as it would be meaningless.

I also have no wish to satisfy the hunger of the voyeurs. :o

I found the following post made a few years ago in a thread discussing the cost of living on another board:

RENT 12000

ELECTRICITY/GAS/WATER 3000

TELEPHONES 1500

INTERNET 500

CABLE/SATELLITE 1500

VISA RUNS 2000

MEDICAL 2000

FOOD 9000

HOUSEHOLD CONSUMABLES 1000

TRANSPORT 1000

LAUNDRY 500

SUNDRY 2000

TOTAL BASIC COSTS 36000

The above excludes ‘entertainment’ but also includes rent. You will see that the comparative numbers are, in total, actually very close to yours.

This old chestnut of a topic almost always tends to cause disagreement as various people often have very different needs.

I know for a fact that some people looking at the above costs will see them as being ridiculously high, whereas others will claim they are laughably low.

There simply is no ‘right’ answer, even for basic living costs as, by way of example, some people can live without aircon whereas others will deem it essential; some people are happy to cook Thai food at home whereas others ‘need’ to eat farang food in a restaurant every day.

Different strokes…

I've lived in Thailand now for 4 years on a company pension, which is more than most figures mentioned. I have tried to budget all the time, but it doesn't work out most of the time. Of course, I have my nestegg to draw from.

I found,with the best intentions in the world, you must have a contigency fund for the unexpected, which always comes in my case.

Just one visit from unexpected, though welcome friends, can throw your budget out the window, as will the a/con unit that needs replacing, or the car needing new tyres ( how can you tell I'm English?)

One month is never the same as the last. The time I got within 500baht of my target, I cheered. The next month, I was 10k out. !0k. Thats the figure you really need to be left with,after you have spent all your needs. Anything less, and it's hand to mouth living.    I may point out. I don't eat out everynight, prefering my own cooking. I do go for a drink most nights, but spend, only about 4/500baht.

If you run an average size house the same as you do back home, it can cost almost as much as back home, shopping in Tesco's. Of course this is up to the individual. If one drops their standards, thats up to them. I never came here to live like an Issan Thai. (sorry)  :o

Thanks, Simbo, I agree that there must a contingency found for the unexpected things.