Thaksin Tells Pheu Thai Ministers To Resign Party-List Mps

webfact

Thaksin tells Pheu Thai ministers to resign party-list MPs

By The Nation

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has told Pheu Thai ministers to vacate their seats of part-list MPs to allow those lower on the ranks to become members of the House, a minister confirmed Thursday.

PM's Office Minister Surawit Khonsomboon confirmed the reports that Thaksin "instructed" the ministers to vacate their party-list seats.

Surawit said only those with strategic importance would be allowed to keep their seats of party-list MPs.

The Pheu Thai now has 61 party-list MPs. Surawit said after the Pheu Thai ministers resign as party-list MPs, the Pheuu Thai may have up to 70 party-list MPs.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Thursday that he would not yet resign but he would ask the Pheu Thai to come up with a resolution first.

Political observers believe that Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit would be allowed to retain his party-list MP seat in case that a political accident happens and he would have to replace Yingluck as the prime minister.

In a related development, Surawit said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has not yet assigned responsibilities to her deputies and PM's Office ministers yet.

But he has been unofficially informed that he would oversee the media.

He said he would talk to partisan media of both the red-shirt and yellow-shirt movement to improve their works and become more nonpartisan in their works.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-11

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM's Office Minister Surawit Khonsomboon confirmed the reports that Thaksin "instructed" the ministers to vacate their party-list seats.

:cheesy:

Yingluck's PM's Office Minister admitting his real boss is "instructor" Thaksin and that he's directing operations for the Thai Government.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Thursday that he would not yet resign but he would ask the Pheu Thai to come up with a resolution first.

Not surprising Chalerm won't go quietly.

:D

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit would be allowed to retain his party-list MP seat in case that a political accident happens and he would have to replace Yingluck as the prime minister.

The clown show continues with Yongyuth, who never wanted even the Party Leader position and tried for over 2 years to resign from it, could become the next Prime Minister.

:lol:

these guys are a laugh a minute

Edited by Buchholz

:cheesy:

Yingluck's PM's Office Minister admitting his real boss is "instructor" Thaksin and that he's directing operations for the Thai Government.

Not surprising Chalerm won't go quietly.

:D

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit would be allowed to retain his party-list MP seat in case that a political accident happens and he would have to replace Yingluck as the prime minister.

The clown show continues with Yongyuth who never wanted even the Party Leader position, could become the next Prime Minister.

:lol:

these guys are a laugh a minute

Chalerm never does anything "quietly" .

Can anyone explain this bit:

"The Pheu Thai now has 61 party-list MPs. Surawit said after the Pheu Thai ministers resign as party-list MPs, the Pheuu Thai may have up to 70 party-list MPs"

Also if an elected candidate resigns, do they not have to have a by-election in that constituency?

Confused :blink:

"The Pheu Thai now has 61 party-list MPs. Surawit said after the Pheu Thai ministers resign as party-list MPs, the Pheuu Thai may have up to 70 party-list MPs"

Also if an elected candidate resigns, do they not have to have a by-election in that constituency?

Me too

Edited by SomTumTiger

Me too

A party list MP is not representing a constituency. He or she is elected from a list and their position is owed to how many votes their party won, not how many they won personally.

Me too

A party list MP is not representing a constituency. He or she is elected from a list and their position is owed to how many votes their party won, not how many they won personally.

Thanks for the clarification.

So if some or most resign, how do they end up with more?

Cabinet ministers do not have to be members of the house of representatives. Any party list cabinet member who resigns their seat will be replaced in the house by the next number on the list. This "instruction" serves two purposes: It effectively gives the PTP a bigger majority in the house, by allowing it to allocate all its party list seats to house representatives, rather than a mix of cabinet + house; and it gives more of its lackies a place at the trough. A simple analogy is if you have won 200 seats, but must form a cabinet of 40 members then you effectively have 160 seats in the house. By moving the cabinet out of the house you are then able to have the full 200, as well as keeping the other 40.

Edited by ballpoint

Me too

Just out of curiosity if a Minister resigns his party MP seat and at a future cabinet reshuffle loses his Ministers position he is surely out of office AND out of politics as he has no party seat to fall back on.

Me too

Can 'the party' forcibly remove a party-list MP once they have been assigned the seat? Do they have the right to refuse? I think in Thailand the government can have ministers who are not members of Parliament...so they would lose their seat but keep their post, right?

Bizzarre, but it would leave more pork to hand around. Some of it moo daeng, I would suppose.

Edited by Crushdepth

I'm not sure how this fits in with the concept of 'democracy'.

In Thailand????

It only seems like yesterday that a certain ex deputy prime minister stepped down as an MP but retained his cabinet post.

Noticeable is it not that the pro Thaksin posters movement membership are somewhat conspicuous by their absence in this particular topic.

Screamed and shouted, ranted and raved when it was mooted Yingluck was but a puppet, now here is the truth out in the open for all to see, Thailand is the only country in the world to have an absentee Prime Minister.

What an accolade. . "Thailnd The Hub of Puppetry."

Edited by siampolee

I am thinking to start a TV reality show......a comedy.....anyone got any thoughts on a theme to follow....content etc ??

"Dr Pol-Col and-the-House", perhaps ? :rolleyes:

Musical-Chairs with hand-puppets might be appropriate ? <_<

"The Great Dictator - Part II - the Elite Returns" ? :unsure:

and moving-on from the levity, if (as sometimes alleged) someone holds pre-signed undated letters-of-resignation for all PTP-candidates, then they can make these extra seats vacant anyway. But is it truly democratic, or merely 'True Democracy', to do so ?

And What will PM-Yingluck say and do about this high-handed action by the 'unseen hand' apparently at-the-controls of her government ?

Perhaps we should wait and see, whether it's actually true, or not. B)

Edited by Ricardo

In Thailand????

It only seems like yesterday that a certain ex deputy prime minister stepped down as an MP but retained his cabinet post.

I don't have a problem with that, because it is accepted practice in Thailand (I think). The dodgy bit is advertising a list of candidates, then one guy throws them out after "The People" have voted. That's an appalling manipulation of the electoral system.

Even if those chucked out retain their ministerial posts, they are no longer MPs and can't vote. That stinks like hell. The only possible consolation is if they are 'making more room' for those they have already screwed over - ie. the reds.

Edited by Crushdepth

In Thailand????

I don't have a problem with that, because it is accepted practice in Thailand (I think). The dodgy bit is advertising a list of candidates, then one guy throws them out after "The People" have voted. That's an appalling manipulation of the electoral system.

Even if those chucked out retain their ministerial posts, they are no longer MPs and can't vote. That stinks like hell. The only possible consolation is if they are 'making more room' for those they have already screwed over - ie. the reds.

Maybe so - but, as I read the article, it is only party list MPs that are being asked to step aside so 'The People' in this case only voted for a party and not a specific person.

It is a long shot I admit, but you could make a case that by doing this 'The People' actually get the representation they asked for as all/most party list MPs will then be in a position to vote on bills.