2000 Dogs Saved In Nakhon Phanom From Dinner Tables

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try getting a cow or chicken to do this..........

Not a cow or chicken..... but hey we eat pork right.... why not dog.....

Pig Surfing

Personally I wouldn't be keen on eating dog as it's not what I was raised to do. But then I'm not overly keen on eating locusts, cockroaches, bull's penis or ants either, but for a lot of people these are enjoyable dishes and it's "normal" for them to eat them.

If dogs were endangered (like many whales) then that'd definitely be cause for alarm, but they're definitely not (In fact, I'm sure that many of us would be happy to pay for some of the soi dogs to mysteriously disappear). So long as they are killed in a humane way, there's not much difference between a dog and a pig really (And pigs should be killed in a humane way aswell of course).

Now if the dogs were being stolen from someone's property, then that would be a different matter completely, as that's stealing a pet as opposed to buying livestock (e.g. legal vs illegal)

So what's the real difference between a dog and a cow - apart from the endearing expression? and that's a real question...

I don't know .

I like to have my dogs sleeping at the side of my bed.

I'm not so sure I will enjoy a cow so much

i did have a cow sleeping beside me once,i devorced her.lock up your pets at night,clear the streets i can agree with but put them to sleep first.

There are quite a few dog rescue organizations in Thailand. One I know is run by the govt and has a big piece of land outside of Bangkok and provide medical care as well. In average cruelity against animals is on the rise, also here in Thailand. If someone has material about animal protection projects including images and videos, you can setup a fundraiser and provide for healthy discussions.

As we discovered the Ark of Noah again I can assure you that everything is possible.

They just had a 20 minute or so segment on Channel 3 about the OP. No one treats cows as bad as these dogs were treated.

Just an add to this. The authorities appear to be doing as much as they can to take care of what animals are still alive. A great many were obviously pets with their collars still on. Most did not appear to be soi dogs.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

They just had a 20 minute or so segment on Channel 3 about the OP. No one treats cows as bad as these dogs were treated.

Just an add to this. The authorities appear to be doing as much as they can to take care of what animals are still alive. A great many were obviously pets with their collars still on. Most did not appear to be soi dogs.

The tolerance for dogs and other pets is fading away in Bangkok. Extreme selfishness and complaining neighbours all over the city. I had the authorities at my place for two times and one time I was threatened with legal action. I used to live in that place for eight years. Since about two years and a few new neighbours, mostly from the South, and a lesbian couple worked hard on it. I finally moved last month. I see that elsewhere here in the city, so it's not just an isolated issue. Selfishness is the mainreason. Deteroating character issues is probably the right diagnostic.

Edited by elcent

i don't see why it is a bad thing to sell this dogs to Vietnam, here in bangkok, there are thousands of street dogs, this animals in many cases get sick with rabics and can infect another people, in my neighborhood one litle guirl died last month because of that, bisides this animals are extreamly dangereous for the traffic of people and cars on the streets etc, i would like to see the eliminination of all the street-dogs numbers or at least a decreae in the number of it.

So in your mind serving up animals with parasites and infectious diseases is appropriate?

For once I agree with you.

How F'ing sick is this?

Dose anyone have a contact for donations or something? I'll try and find out if no one knows.

*edit* found it http://www.thaiaga.org a couple of bucks isn't gonna hurt anyone guys, just sayin.

Edited by Huey

in our developed countrys strays are taken and put to sleep if they have now home.

so whats the problem with them being killed off here (in a county with more strays than others) and at least feeding people.

stolen pets are one thing and i pitty the dog and the owner .. but if the homeless strays that run wild can feed someone who is willign to eat it then thats one less stray dog .

i must admit i'm sorry to say i hate the stray dogs here having been knocked off a motorbike by them before so feel no sorrow for there fate..

Edited by silentnine

So the Driver had no Tea Money, so dogs get dumped or starve. Ferangs Whine . My 6 Dogs dont roam about or poop on others property .Dogs here are a pest , smashing your Car Front, fetching down Scooter rider, bighting Cyclists. At least they could have been Protien to the Hungry Poor in Lao.

"The practice is still common in the Northeast and many are never shipped out of country"????

Common?? It is not a part of Issan culture to eat dog. Sakhon Nakon has a reputation for dog eating and the whole of Thailand seems to know that. That is one province in twenty in the whole of the North East. The Northern tribes commonly eat dog, but that area is not part of the area you refer to. Cambodians and Vietnamese eat dog and some areas of the North East of Thailand have people with historical links to these countries and they may well have a cultural hangover for eating the flesh of dogs. Certainly the hill tribes in the North routinely eat dog. To say though that "The practice is still common in the Northeast" is I think totally wrong. It is not Thai cultural tradition to eat dog, nor even a tradition in the North East of Thailand.

This breaks ones heart. I wish I thought they were saved in the nick of time but for some reason I don't think they are out of the woods yet. The practice is still common in the Northeast and many are never shipped out of country. So Sad.

This breaks ones heart. I wish I thought they were saved in the nick of time but for some reason I don't think they are out of the woods yet. The practice is still common in the Northeast and many are never shipped out of country. So Sad.

I am living in a small village in the Northeast of Thailand. I have been throwing stones towards dogs, I will do it again and I hope, someone will come to catch them away from here to be eaten up somewhere else.

I admit - I hate dogs as their hauling and barking keeps me awake for hours nearly every night.

maapaa

So what's the real difference between a dog and a cow - apart from the endearing expression? and that's a real question...

There is another question...Have you had a pet cow before and a dog? There is a difference and if you can't see it, then your not ready for the answer.

Here is Western Australia ,the selling of horse meat has recently been legalised,which I don't have a problem with, so if The Thais want to eat a few dogs here and there and it gets some of those Skungy/mangy looking mutts off the streets ,I'd say it's a win win situation.

Its a sad sorry story all over..

I am dog owner.. And love the dam_n mutts.. But I am also a meat eater, my wife reacts in horror should I suggest eating rabbit, and was most unhappy to discover the venison she was eating one time was 'bambi'.

I have to come to terms with the idea, that as long as the animal is treated as humanely as possible (and not that much factory farming is) and dispatched as humaely as possible, what one person chooses to eat as food seems to be only fair to be his right.

What saddens me here, much more than the fact that the animals get eaten, is the miss treatment and conditions of their lives prior to killing them.

It is amazing that people actually answer this is such a personal manner. The writer is saying, "Both are two living breathing mammals. Who are we to judge which life is worth more? I might add...if an animal runs wild...is it different than "hunting" or "fishing" to round them up? Both interesting and nearly rhetorical questions....not an invitation to share with us your lovey - dove my pooch is so special I love her so much I think I may weep" story...

Good food wasted! What is wrong with eating dogs? They actually taste real good!

The local dogs in my soi bark and howl all day. I really wish that someone would come and eat them soon!

A dog can sleep on the sofa!wink.gif

So can a cow, if the sofa is just large enough!

Several years ago I did a "battlefield tour" of Kohima in the far North East of India. The area is Nagaland, on the border of Burma, and as part of the visit we were taken to a newly developed tourist attraction, which was a traditional village. We had a charming young tour guide taking us around the village (with real inhabitants, grain stores, pigs in cages and a few dogs running around). I noticed that all the dogs seemed to be relatively young and in quite good health, which I commented on to our guide. She said the dogs in fact are quite harmless and the reason they are all relatively young is that by the time they reach their second year, the villagers eat them. My initial reaction was, "oh" :oand a stunned silence. But like many others who have commented here I got to thinking, well, what is the difference between eating meat, from what we rationalize as an accepted source and species, and a dog? As you can see from my picture, I am a big dog lover (in more ways than one :whistling:) and am the proud companion of four of them and no I could not knowingly eat one :bah:, but that is because of the way I have been brought up also I have a financially comfortable life, so can afford pick and choose. Eating is the same as beauty - it is all in the eye of the beholder. :jap:

The difference is that carnivores taste disgusting, thats why we eat herbivores,

Animal haters/abusers show little reguard for any life and should be treated as the lowlifes they are

I would estimate that there are between 100 and 150 puppies born in this small village every year.

Most of these puppies are traded for buckets when they have fattened up a bit.

The people that actually want to keep a dog beyond its cuddly toy period will opt to keep a male and so most of the females get traded for the table.

Although I don't like this practice of selling dogs for meat, it at least keeps the numbers down. If all the dogs were allowed to breed with no control there would be thousands of dogs roaming the streets in just a few years.

Without any planning for mass sterilisation, the dog population would soon be out of control and a much bigger problem than it is now.

Well said, and agreed. I eat a lot of meat...but not veal... And would struggle to eat a dog (Did have a bite once in India by accident..) My personal choice, not an invitation for a lecture from others about chickens, cows...etc. This issue does make us pause and wonder a bit about how it all works.

Its a sad sorry story all over..

I am dog owner.. And love the dam_n mutts.. But I am also a meat eater, my wife reacts in horror should I suggest eating rabbit, and was most unhappy to discover the venison she was eating one time was 'bambi'.

I have to come to terms with the idea, that as long as the animal is treated as humanely as possible (and not that much factory farming is) and dispatched as humaely as possible, what one person chooses to eat as food seems to be only fair to be his right.

What saddens me here, much more than the fact that the animals get eaten, is the miss treatment and conditions of their lives prior to killing them.