2000 Dogs Saved In Nakhon Phanom From Dinner Tables

webfact

if these dogs are strays then i dont see the problem.. as long as they are not carrying some kind of disease that could spread to

other animals or humans...

Its given me a great idea..if indeed they are delicacies..

why not set up a Mac Dogals.. simmilar to the Mac Donalds..

What about Mac Humans ???......................Dogs starving on the streets are a sad sorry sight, says a lot for caring Thais. ooopps. My idea is when you can train and educate dogs to do tasks that we cannot--Drug sniffers==mountain rescue== Tsunami victims==earthquakes==civil unrest==a true friend==a guard==THE BLIND GUIDE==old peoples therapy== I could go on and on, but it's not up to me what anyone eats, it's not my business.

BUT some comments from some posters near condoning-lack of care about animals-is sick sure.

The small list of what these animals do for us is fantastic, and they love doing it and it shows with the love between man and dog. Society problem....and some peoples attitude that is non caring.

It's the nature of the plight of the animals how they are transported and kept. For sick gain. If a society cannot find a happy medium....... then I'm sorry .... this land is mostly for sick personal gain.

i do believe i said STRAY DOGS.. yes i agree trained dogs are fantastic..

"says alot for thais" why you dissing thai people.. ferrangs have dogs, running around

too.. un mutered shagging the local stray dogs..

ive eaten dog so i can say its good food..

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if these dogs are strays then i dont see the problem.. as long as they are not carrying some kind of disease that could spread to

What about Mac Humans ???......................Dogs starving on the streets are a sad sorry sight, says a lot for caring Thais. ooopps. My idea is when you can train and educate dogs to do tasks that we cannot--Drug sniffers==mountain rescue== Tsunami victims==earthquakes==civil unrest==a true friend==a guard==THE BLIND GUIDE==old peoples therapy== I could go on and on, but it's not up to me what anyone eats, it's not my business.

BUT some comments from some posters near condoning-lack of care about animals-is sick sure.

The small list of what these animals do for us is fantastic, and they love doing it and it shows with the love between man and dog. Society problem....and some peoples attitude that is non caring.

It's the nature of the plight of the animals how they are transported and kept. For sick gain. If a society cannot find a happy medium....... then I'm sorry .... this land is mostly for sick personal gain.

Mac Humans.. you are sick...

people already eat Dogs.. why do people try and change the subject..

Sorry to say that doesn't break my heart, looking at a 5 years old kid cleaning a wind shield at 3 in the morning break my heart.

Never understood why people over react about dogs, pathetic anthropomorphism. It's just a steak on legs for some people on poor region of the world.

cold hearted supershot------A steak on legs--if you like..... BUT this steak on legs is NOT for the low income people it's sold at a high price per kilo. POOR region of the world has nothing to do with it. poor sick non caring people sums it up.

I'm not cold hearted at all, I'm just not surprised that people answer me and over react about dogs while I mentioned that kids in the street working for few bahts break my heart.

I have dogs, I love them take care of them but they are dogs. In general dogs are eaten in poor regions of the world, it may have exceptions in some regions.

I think that those who are finding humor in the OP will feel somewhat different if/when they see the news coverage of the event. It is not a story about the consumption of canine meat but it is a glimpse of the savagery we humans are capable of.

Here is Western Australia ,the selling of horse meat has recently been legalised,which I don't have a problem with, so if The Thais want to eat a few dogs here and there and it gets some of those Skungy/mangy looking mutts off the streets ,I'd say it's a win win situation.

Horse meat is originally used in Salami, old horsed though and this as long as Salami exists. If there would be more Vegetrian restaurants and foodstalls around I could live without meat.

Mac Humans.. you are sick...

people already eat Dogs.. why do people try and change the subject..

I was joking re the Mac dogs joke-in reaction to the comment. I am not sick when I say that in general most Thais do NOT have the heart to love animals in general-thats why there are the sick dogs on the streets, and if they cared they would push for something to be done about it. AND not give your pet away for a pot

I think that those who are finding humor in the OP will feel somewhat different if/when they see the news coverage of the event. It is not a story about the consumption of canine meat but it is a glimpse of the savagery we humans are capable of.

I agree. Humans are (normally) capable of empathy but somehow still manage to commit the most horrendous acts possible - both on animals and other humans.

Yet somehow we're convinced that we are so superior to every other living form that we are justified in performing any atrocity imaginable on all other living creatures....

Go figure.

I bet I could guess the age, sex and marital status of every person saying "eat them." I bet they all fit into the exact same group. I bet I could guess how old your wives are and where you met them too.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of westerners who end up in Thailand are not the brightest people out there.

It's just too easy, so I'm not even going to try.

For those who have a problem with stray dogs, maybe you could get up your ass and do something?

Who died and made you God to judge everyone with such a sweeping statement?

What an ignorant stuck up idiot !!!!! (I suppose your wife is from Bangkok and you think that makes you superior to others)

It is ironic really Dog is a delicacy in poorer countries but the price of the meat is very expensive.

So people can't keep saying oh the strays feed the poor peasants because on the whole the peasants can't afford the meat.

Thailand does need to address the Feral dog population though it is reaching dangerous proportions. We live on a nice estate in Pattaya and there are getting to be more and more strays.

Funny when I lived with the ex gf's family in Sakhon Nakon there were no stray dogs.......

I had no idea trucks were going around buying and stealing them though.

Something humane needs to be done, dogs are our friends and some of the most intelligent creatures around. Even more intelligent than Mr God at the top of this post.

That's a very sad photo, seeing all those dogs kept like that

Its a dog eat dog world out there... Mmmmmmm Bisto..

I was in Honk Kong recently, getting a new passport, of course. :rolleyes:

I was invited for a 'special' meal, by some ex-pat friends; "a delicacy", they said.

The etiquette around the table, as I observed, was to eat the meat and spit the bones out, onto the table, and into a mound.

The meat was tender, pinkish and served in a chicken like broth, and overall was good. I rated it. I thought it must be 'duck'.

It was then that a path of 'what are we eatibg' shot across my mind, so I nerved up and asked.

The response was 'dog' of course.

I looked around the table, at the huge mound of bones, and only came across one thought.

"The dog would have loved those!" :D

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply, do not make a reply to a post inside the [quote] tags.

I bet I could guess the age, sex and marital status of every person saying "eat them." I bet they all fit into the exact same group. I bet I could guess how old your wives are and where you met them too.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of westerners who end up in Thailand are not the brightest people out there.

For those who have a problem with stray dogs, maybe you could get up your ass and do something?

What an ignorant stuck up idiot !!!!! (I suppose your wife is from Bangkok and you think that makes you superior to others)

It is ironic really Dog is a delicacy in poorer countries but the price of the meat is very expensive.

So people can't keep saying oh the strays feed the poor peasants because on the whole the peasants can't afford the meat.

Thailand does need to address the Feral dog population though it is reaching dangerous proportions. We live on a nice estate in Pattaya and there are getting to be more and more strays.

Funny when I lived with the ex gf's family in Sakhon Nakon there were no stray dogs.......

Something humane needs to be done, dogs are our friends and some of the most intelligent creatures around. Even more intelligent than Mr God at the top of this post.

Like most things, Attitude - social problem, schooling, parental guidance, most northern kids go around kicking dogs hitting them with sticks, in full view of their stupid parents. The kids training on caring for animals will reflect the future here, Most kids become what their parents were, and are.

So what if stray dogs end up being eaten? And to the person who objected to pet dogs being rounded up, why are they outside in the first place if they are so prized? The world has a food shortage problem.. The more the mangy curs can help, the better! :clap2:

There are worse things happening to animals - check out Indonesian cruelty to their Australian live cattle imports - supposedly justifiable in the name of Halal! :sick:

I agree, to a certain extent.

The only way the feral dog population can be reduced is for wealthy Westerners to put their hands in their pockets and support those organisations that are dedicated to neutering the stray dog population.

The thing I find most upsetting about stray dogs is that they are generally friendly, timid and desperate to be 'nice' so that people give them food.... Needless to say, most feel sorry for them but do nothing to help.

Edited by F1fanatic

So what if stray dogs end up being eaten? And to the person who objected to pet dogs being rounded up, why are they outside in the first place if they are so prized? The world has a food shortage problem.. The more the mangy curs can help, the better! :clap2:

There are worse things happening to animals - check out Indonesian cruelty to their Australian live cattle imports - supposedly justifiable in the name of Halal! :sick:

Quite. Other animals are treated badly, its OK to ignore local atrocities.

Halal is an entirely different kettle of fish. Its horrendous, but the chances of changing Moslem or Jewish attitudes to killing is pretty much close to zero at the moment.

We can however do something about helping stray dogs. Unfortunately most won't as they don't care enough to put their hands in their pockets to pay for the stray dogs to be neutered.

Rerngsak said police were told that Noppadon had earlier released 600 other dogs into a forest.

YIPEE 6-- more feral dogs just what Thailand needs.:angry:

Pigs, cows horses dogs can someone explain why we eat two but are repulsed by people who prefer dog or horse meat? Odd.

Ensure the dogs are transported in relatively conytolled conditions. After all if the dogs are unduly stressed the meat will be tough.

Wake up next to a cow every morning <_<

Protien is protien no matter the source. Let them enjoy 'fido' & chips.:D

Far more to the point is how the dogs are treated. If they are treated humanely (and, if possible, bred for the pot).... and it's a big IF.... I would rather see them end on the table than suffer disease and starvation on the streets. There will be no end to this problem until euthanasia becomes accepted in Thailand (which doesn't seem likely; Buddhists prefer to see the dogs suffer).

I agree euthanasia should be used, but that's putting the cart before the horse. The government would be well served to get these street animals FIXED, which stops the pups and kittens and helps lower the spread of disease. One large shelter here in Chiang Mai does it now. I honestly don't know if the anti-euthanasia culture in this case is a Buddhist thing, but I'll bet the low number of FIXING is due to a macho thing.

Our adopted street dog is fixed and she's the sweetest animal around (not to the taste you sick pups).

"The greatness of a country can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Gandhi qoute.

He is bang on the money when it comes to Thailand

Aye he thought cows were SACRED........ more bovine scatology :lol:

Why dont we pay Thais to round up all stray dogs. Put them in a container (humanely of course) and ship to the Horn of Africa. TWO problems solved for the price of one :D

Edited by Gers1873

Well, I for one would pay to get all these roaming canines caught and properly disposed of. They rip apart absolutely everything, there is manure all over the place while office girls keep on feeding them food they buy from food stalls in the neighbourhood - to do merit. These dogs have randsacked absolutely everything in the neighbourhood and there is no governmental dog catcher assisting the public to get rid of this pest

Stray dogs are troublesome, and an eye sore. There is not enough neutering here. Stray dogs, and even owned dogs, wander the streets eating trash, pissing and shitting everywhere, spreading disease, barking at night, etc.. One reason I like visiting Isaan is because there are no stray dogs on the streets. Why? Because they eat them. Would I eat dog? No, but I didn't grow up eating dog, and if I had I would without any thought. I say let the dog eaters eat dog and be merry. If a stray dog can fill a belly, good.

Rerngsak said police were told that Noppadon had earlier released 600 other dogs into a forest.

Pigs, cows horses dogs can someone explain why we eat two but are repulsed by people who prefer dog or horse meat? Odd.

Ensure the dogs are transported in relatively conytolled conditions. After all if the dogs are unduly stressed the meat will be tough.

I hope you understand that the 2 acceptable will vary immensely depending on where you are in the world. India, Israel and Ireland give a good spread.

I saw this story on television and was so shocked . Thailand is not a country to be a dog , even if you are not destined for the dinner table . Almost nobody cares for their dog . Dogs are fed scraps or left over rice , or mostly feed from people's dusbins . Nearly all the village dogs get run over by cars and legs broken , there are no veterinary services in the vicinity . Caged pickups regularly pass through our village picking up dogs , some sold or given , others effectively stolen . My friend's sweet dog disappeared without trace ; I wanted to go to Sakhon Nakhon to find him , but its a long journey and would probably have been a wasted journey . I think it even more terrible to see large numbers of dogs so tightly caged , bound for a long journey by truck and boat to another country . Thais have little feeling for other human beings and none for animals .

Why are some people so disgusted with others eating dog? It's just the culture at play. Indians would say the same about us eating beef. As for humanely killing them, is there such a way other than injecting some form of poison which would deem them unfit for consumption. As for those complaining about how the dogs were transported, you guys don't eat fish? You think the fishes are shipped individually in deluxe crates filled with water? So, would someone like to complain now about how inhumane their fish dinner arrived?

Edited by Mirth

I hope you understand that the 2 acceptable will vary immensely depending on where you are in the world. India, Israel and Ireland give a good spread.

Indians have little trouble consuming most with the exception of Holy cows

Many Israelis now eat pork

Ireland -- they dont eat they only drink :D

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply, when replying to a quoted post, do not make your post inside the [quote] tags.

I don't think they are out of the woods yet.

from OP:

jokes aside, whether they are out of the woods or into a forest, what can the authorities possibly do with all these dogs?

Not release the rest of them into a forest I hope?

Used to see the dog collection pickups when we lived in Sa Kaeo province, plastic buckets/bowls on top of the cages. It's an endless supply, every week another load of dogs 'taking a holiday'.

Don't have an answer to this one.

They won't euthanise them, the suggestion of adoption won't attract many takers either.

The best suggestion is to spay or neuter these animals, to prevent their population from getting larger. As it is the authorities say that they cant feed and house the number of animals there because of this rescue effort.

sterilization will help in the long run. Cant say how many of this load will be ultimately saved.

The practice of dog meat being consumed isnt just in vietnam, there are laws against it in korea but there is no enforcement. Any place in the rural areas where people are very poor, and have eaten these animals in the past, it will happen. For example in Cambodia during the 1960s-70s many people were forced into the forests to live. If people have to eat bugs and snakes to survive, what will stop them from eating dogs?

So what's the real difference between a dog and a cow - apart from the endearing expression? and that's a real question...

A cow is a farm animal raised for food consumption. a dog is a PET!! not lunch.

In India cows are pets dogs are protien. So if we farmed dogs it would be ok to eat rhem ????

i don't see why it is a bad thing to sell this dogs to Vietnam, here in bangkok, there are thousands of street dogs, this animals in many cases get sick with rabics and can infect another people, in my neighborhood one litle guirl died last month because of that, bisides this animals are extreamly dangereous for the traffic of people and cars on the streets etc, i would like to see the eliminination of all the street-dogs numbers or at least a decreae in the number of it.

The answer is spay/neuter programs. It is not expensive. It will help control the animal population. AND they wont have to end up in someones stew pot.

If you dont see why its a bad thing for these dogs to go to Vietnam then i guess you dont own any dogs as pets? If you have one as a pet, you consider it a part of the family, not something to eat for lunch.