2000 Dogs Saved In Nakhon Phanom From Dinner Tables

webfact

What a delightful impression Thailand creates to the civilised world. Amazing Thailand! a blazing dog bar-b-cue!

Really quite charming. A 101 dalmations beneath a fluffy pastry crust. A hot-dog anyone?

Such compassion for dogs [which I agree with] but the human trafficking, the enslavement, the prostitution, the desperate realities of desperate people living in desperate conditions continues unchecked, un-cared for. Don't expect 1000 girls to be liberated any time soon.

Thailand. the Land of Smiles. And Pattaya. That wonderful City where flesh is traded to those wonderful vest wearing, bar-stool bums who breakfast on beer and trade in sexual exploitation of the young and preferably too young. Pattaya a palace to pedophilia. A place of pimps. A posnet of prostitution.

The dogs ................................. in my part of Thailand the Nakhom Pathon pick-up tours the back roads collecting dogs. No one does anything about it.

Whatever your views consider the damage it does to the International standing of Thailand.

When the Football World Cup visited Korea there was hell on about the dog reatuarants.

The thought of what happened was enough to cause an international incident. Photos were something the locals sought to prevent.

But Thailand, with all the competency of a drunk walking a tightrope, manages to put a picture of hundreds of starved, emaciated family pets caged on their way to slaughter.

Odd. Thailand displays the truth only to hurt itself.

Not so odd then that the truth so rarely ever emerges. And Thailand needs no international assistance when it comes to self-destruction.

The truth then. Well not all of it. The bit they left out was that they traded the dogs for 2000 cats.

The meat should be a bit more chewy but no one will notice the difference. They'll pass it off as Spring Chicken.

Oh, and lets not forget while thinking it's the bad Vietnamese that eat the stuff, that the Bkk Post has featured the old girl in Chiang Mai who sells dog meat. When asked if any anyone enquired what it was, she tells them it's chicken. At least it's not just foreigners who get lied to.

Apparently, black dog is the best as it 'keeps you warm'. More local wisdom there then. I suppose it explains fire-eaters.

The best advice for Thailand and in particular Pattaya would be to lock up your daughters.

Add to that, lock up your Labra-daughters.

That you have taken an anti dog eating thread and turned it into an anti Thai, anti prostitution, anti Pattaya, anti pedophile commentary says more about you than your complaint.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on how the animals are killed.

Many years ago I was sent photos of a family pet (dog) being SLOWLY hanged in the Phillipines for the family BBQ. The dog had been raised as a pet and had trusted his 'family' implicitly.

It horrified me - I still have nightmares about it. If it had been a quick death I would have understood and thought that at least the dog had a good life before being eaten.

Sorry state of "human" affairs. no sense of compassion for another creatures suffering. like they say, a society is only as good as it treats its animals and children.

and yet you chose to lve here???

nope, but i know people that do, and i intend to relocate to Thailand in the future... And i have a great affection for Thailand , just disturbed about the appathetic response to this problem.

Suggest you take up your crusade"when" you get here..............should all be done and dusted in a few days. Good luck................youre gonna need it.

Animals over humans any day

Ha Ha, but it is really true, law of averages will say you get more love from your pet (genuine) no money involved, but they can at times rob you of food, but never will take your visa or house or kids.l

I think it depends on how the animals are killed.

Many years ago I was sent photos of a family pet (dog) being SLOWLY hanged in the Phillipines for the family BBQ. The dog had been raised as a pet and had trusted his 'family' implicitly.

It horrified me - I still have nightmares about it. If it had been a quick death I would have understood and thought that at least the dog had a good life before being eaten.

Sorry state of "human" affairs. no sense of compassion for another creatures suffering. like they say, a society is only as good as it treats its animals and children.

and yet you chose to lve here???

nope, but i know people that do, and i intend to relocate to Thailand in the future... And i have a great affection for Thailand , just disturbed about the appathetic response to this problem.

Don't be too upset it is not just the Thai people. People all over Asia feel the same way. I was always amazed when I first got here in the 60's that the Farangs treated dogs better than people. It is not Kansas no matter how much you click your heels together.

I live in a village where dogs are bartered for a bucket and the trucks come all the time. Until Thailand gets serious about controlling the dog population which appears will be never then the current system of a villager getting a household good in exchange, the exporter making a profit, and protein for dinner seems more optimal than wasting tax money to create a bureaucracy to round them up, euthanize them, and dispose of the remains like other countries do. Legalize the current practice and put in measures to assure transport is safe and humane. And if you think that is a disturbing photo then brace yourself when you see photos of how chickens are raised.

I think I can agree with your statement. These [stray] dogs (some of them being really dangerous [rabbits] and attacking people) are usually taken from the BKK streets in a yearly "clean-up" operation. Re-cylcing them seems to me a reasonable solution for the contractor who has to do the job. Some Europeans even eat horse-meat and no one seems to be disturbed by this! Within 100 years our society will recycle human beings as well (instead of burying or cremating) and we will be turned into fertiliser or chicken-food... who matters? ;):o:(

The funny thing is in my village the dogs are very placid and don't annoy anyone until a dog eater comes through. My missus reckons that the dogs can smell the dog eaters.

That's interesting ,because when I'm in Thailand they always growl at me .Perhaps I't's my evil aura they can sense.crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

I live in a village where dogs are bartered for a bucket and the trucks come all the time. Until Thailand gets serious about controlling the dog population which appears will be never then the current system of a villager getting a household good in exchange, the exporter making a profit, and protein for dinner seems more optimal than wasting tax money to create a bureaucracy to round them up, euthanize them, and dispose of the remains like other countries do. Legalize the current practice and put in measures to assure transport is safe and humane. And if you think that is a disturbing photo then brace yourself when you see photos of how chickens are raised.

Dogs do breed like rabbits in Thailand. The Thais just let them get on with it. Then I spent three months driving around Malaysia and only saw dog pets owned by Chinese (Muslims are not allowed to touch dogs). This is a very sensible post. How to deal with the zillions of soi dogs in Thailand? I should say legalise the trade and ensure dogs that are consumed are healthy and in good condition. Most Thais don't eat dogs, however some NE Thai people do and they get eaten in Vietnam. While there is money to be made in the trade, it will still happen in Thailand. Big supply of worthless goods that can be sold to someone who wants to buy them. Its business. I'm sure Hindus are abhorred that we in the west eat cows?

It look like some members in this forum not feel any sadness for this animals. You don't trade and kill peaple, because some countries are overpopulated and poor (southern africa for example). They done nothing wrong and it's already sad that they are born in such poverty. Even they have no chances in their lifes, they have a right to live.

So you don't trade and kill dogs either. Stray dogs are very poor and they done nothing wrong, their life is very sad and peaple should help them, not kill them. The goverment should collect the femals, bring them to the veterenary to operate that they not get more puppies, but killing and eating is not the solution. In USA someone would go to jail for that. Even streetdogs have a right to live! My wife any me have one Golden Retriver Dog, but at the same time we take care another 6 street dogs. Doogfood is cheap in LOS and i can't see those poor baggers have no food. We spend every month about 2'000 Baht for our "soidogs" But we feel good to help them and if someone try to steal them for killing and eating, i'm sure i would't let this happen! If someone take one of our soidogs to give him a new home, then i'm happe to give one. But NO KILLING! Killing is not the right thing to do.

Think a little bit: If you are a dog, would you like that someone chasing you down for ending up in a plate?

Edited by stingray

I can only say to those posters expressing their contempt for dogs, should you be trapped in a collapsed building and a S&R dog finds you, that he also detects your contempt and treat you in a similar matter - piss on you and walk away.

I would also state that if humans could respond to care and affection in equal measure to the dogs that have shared my life, the world would be a much nicer place. No, I don't plan on going somewhere else.

I too live about an hour away from Sakorn and these scumbags come round and night in pickup trucks and steal peoples pets. One of the guys was telling me he heard them the night before and his dog went missing, when I asked him why he didn't go out and stop them he said they carry guns.

Its not the whole dog meat thing that bothers me, I have eaten it myself from China, but it is the theft of someones pet I can't stand.

I would like it better if they rounded up the dog stealers and euthanised them!!!

These poverty stricken regions remind me of war time.......eating anything to survive. whats next ? babies????????? young children???????

Sorry my apology, i got a little overly excited there, didnt mean to post the above comment :jap:

Id be interested to know exactly how they steal these pets??? or does he mean he lets his dog out to roam the streets at night and it gets stolen?

pick-ups roaming around rural areas, enticing pets to steal, driving slowly around hoping a local wants a plastic bowl for their lovely pet. I have not encountered nightime pick-ups, my dogs inside my 2 metre walls can sense smell when the catchers/buyers are around. Other local dogs will chase the pick-ups when they pass through the village.

For each dog a bowl would not be worth more than 35 bht, they sell them average 500bht--and prepared meat 300 bht per kilo, more at good class food places. Apart from the treatment and slaughter methods money and greed. but the situation should be addressed at a town government office and police enforcement of the law.

It must be a slow news day with the Dow levelling out.

The most notorious province for dog eaters is Sakhon Nakhon in the top of isan -laos. Not all that far from dog meat heaven city Hanoi. VN. As much as 8 dollars per kilo in Vietnam.

90 % of the strays in Bangkok have disappeared over the past 10 years.. Not hard to guess where.

Thats the price of having communism ,having to eat dogs to survive. Maybe one day those people will wake up.

You have totally missed the point - dog meat is a delicacy in Vietnam, hence the high price.

Tut, tut - somebody must be making a profit - and that in a communist country.

Perhaps it's the world's largest capitalist country, the country that owes the world 14 trillion dollars (most of that to the world's largest communist country) that should wake up?

Personally, I think it's already too late.

US business prospects?

:mfr_closed1: :mfr_closed1: :mfr_closed1:

i don't see why it is a bad thing to sell this dogs to Vietnam, here in bangkok, there are thousands of street dogs, this animals in many cases get sick with rabics and can infect another people, in my neighborhood one litle guirl died last month because of that, bisides this animals are extreamly dangereous for the traffic of people and cars on the streets etc, i would like to see the eliminination of all the street-dogs numbers or at least a decreae in the number of it.

thats right! nobody cares about the streetdogs ,birth control, rabies, bites. most of the people eat every day cows, chicken. also animals.

dont safe them , reduce them. in any possible way!!

For 13 years I have resided 5 Km from a medium sized Thai town. If I happen to be driving home in the evening, I see between one and six abandoned dogs around the corner of the turn-off to my village. My town has about 100 roads like this. If an average of just one dog were abandoned per road each evening, that would be 100 dogs per night, or 36500 per year. In Thailand, there are approx 2,000 similar sized towns, so using the same estimates, that would come to about 73,000,000 dogs per year abandoned in Thailand. Can anyone say whether that number is too low or too high? I would venture the real number is higher than that, as many families have several dogs and many of those dogs have litters of around 6 pups, each year.

I frequent rural properties, that one would assume would be relatively quiet. They're not. Each property (some are properties I've secured) has at least one nearby group of barking dogs. No exceptions. Thais do not know how to discipline their dogs. Even when they try to do so (which is rare indeed), the owners are ineffective. As far as I know, there are no real animal shelters in Thailand - though I did find one north of C.Mai run by a farang woman. Maybe there are others. If Thai authorities wanted to try and fix the despicable overpopulation of dogs here, they should start first with building well-run animal shelters - an average of every square mile. Neuter surgery should be available free for any dogs brought in. There's much more that needs to be done, but that would be a start. I personally know of dozens of farang who considered coming to visit Thailand, but went elsewhere because of the endemic dog problem.

In case anyone is wondering: dogs in Burma are much less prone to barking and chasing. I've had that proven to me dozens of times, while bicycling around Burma. Thais should go and learn from the Burmese how to keep their horrible Thai dogs from being such mega nuisance. If nothing else, tourism revenues would double in Thailand if the dogs weren't so problematic.

I can only say to those posters expressing their contempt for dogs, should you be trapped in a collapsed building and a S&R dog finds you, that he also detects your contempt and treat you in a similar matter - piss on you and walk away.

I would also state that if humans could respond to care and affection in equal measure to the dogs that have shared my life, the world would be a much nicer place. No, I don't plan on going somewhere else.

Cannot reasonably compare well cared for well bred well trained search and rescue dogs with stray soi dogs. The latter are flea infested scabies ridden mongrels with a high rate of rabies. Either change Thai culture and reduce the number of feral dogs or keep the new recipe ideas coming.

Off top work on my new book 20 Ways to Cook K9's.:D

The funny thing is in my village the dogs are very placid and don't annoy anyone until a dog eater comes through. My missus reckons that the dogs can smell the dog eaters.

I have no idea what followed your post but wanted to respond to it upon reading. One of my dogs can smell a dog eater a mile away and learns the sound of their motor bike. All dog eaters drive motorbikes. Needless to say dog eaters do not like my dog. But it is reciprocal, my dog does not like dog eaters. I respect my dogs judgment.

For 13 years I have resided 5 Km from a medium sized Thai town. If I happen to be driving home in the evening, I see between one and six abandoned dogs around the corner of the turn-off to my village. My town has about 100 roads like this. If an average of just one dog were abandoned per road each evening, that would be 100 dogs per night, or 36500 per year. In Thailand, there are approx 2,000 similar sized towns, so using the same estimates, that would come to about 73,000,000 dogs per year abandoned in Thailand. Can anyone say whether that number is too low or too high? I would venture the real number is higher than that, as many families have several dogs and many of those dogs have litters of around 6 pups, each year.

I frequent rural properties, that one would assume would be relatively quiet. They're not. Each property (some are properties I've secured) has at least one nearby group of barking dogs. No exceptions. Thais do not know how to discipline their dogs. Even when they try to do so (which is rare indeed), the owners are ineffective. As far as I know, there are no real animal shelters in Thailand - though I did find one north of C.Mai run by a farang woman. Maybe there are others. If Thai authorities wanted to try and fix the despicable overpopulation of dogs here, they should start first with building well-run animal shelters - an average of every square mile. Neuter surgery should be available free for any dogs brought in. There's much more that needs to be done, but that would be a start. I personally know of dozens of farang who considered coming to visit Thailand, but went elsewhere because of the endemic dog problem.

In case anyone is wondering: dogs in Burma are much less prone to barking and chasing. I've had that proven to me dozens of times, while bicycling around Burma. Thais should go and learn from the Burmese how to keep their horrible Thai dogs from being such mega nuisance. If nothing else, tourism revenues would double in Thailand if the dogs weren't so problematic.

also, very correct.

Thais giggle when their dogs bark at farang or Burmese, thinking, "Ha, isn't it cute that my little <deleted> <deleted> only barks at farang and Burmese laborers." Then the same crappy dogs bark at the owner's friends and other Thais, and the owner thinks, "Ha, isn't that cute, my little <deleted> <deleted> is barking in glee."

Fact is, there are literally tens of millions of barking nuisance dogs in Thailand (another accolade for Thailand: "The Hub of Yapping Little Dogs"). The pups learn from the older yappers they're mixed in with. When the older dogs aren't cute any more, they're driven a few Km and abandoned (or maybe given to meat peddlers or simply killed).

There's also serious problems with dogs at wats (Buddhist monasteries). At least half the 100 or so wats in my town, I won't visit (and I doubt others will enjoy visiting either) as they're over-run by barking dogs. It sure doesn't reflect well on Buddhism in Thailand.

Why is it that people find the content of this thread funny and do not take the OP seriously. To repeat for those that are just having fun . . .

I think that those who are finding humor in the OP will feel somewhat different if/when they see the news coverage of the event. It is not a story about the consumption of canine meat but it is a glimpse of the savagery we humans are capable of.

Yes it is my quote and I stand by it. Any one who can approve the methods of what the OP is about is one sad individual.

If you have not seen the news coverage I suggest you wait with your jovial comments until you can at least see the details. Try a little harder to find out what this thread is all about.

Who are we to say that one should be able to eat cows, pigs, lambs, chickens, goats, buffalo, deer, etc. but not dogs? Indians don't like to see you eating cows, either, but they aren't on here raising h*ll about it every time someone asks about the best steaks in Bangkok.

Yes, the dogs should be kept in more humanitarian conditions, but I don't see anyone here complaining about the way their other meat is raised.

Vegetarians can feel free to talk it up; the rest of you are hypocrites.

The post with the dog recipe made me smile, thanks. It is odd what some people eat, and others abhor. I eat eggs, chicken, and some fish, though I won't eat cow or pig products. It's partly for health reasons and partly because I like cows (not sure about sows and boars, but piglets are cute). Note that dogs are carnivores, and very few people in general eat carnivores (except carnivorous fish). Paul McCartney's 1st wife Linda advised, "never eat anything with a face." I thought that was cute. so I guess shellfish were ok with her. P.S. There's a roadside restaurant up here (N.Thailand) which has a full sized dog turning on its barbecue pit every so often - in full view of cars passing by.

Who are we to say that one should be able to eat cows, pigs, lambs, chickens, goats, buffalo, deer, etc. but not dogs? Indians don't like to see you eating cows, either, but they aren't on here raising h*ll about it every time someone asks about the best steaks in Bangkok.

Yes, the dogs should be kept in more humanitarian conditions, but I don't see anyone here complaining about the way their other meat is raised.

Vegetarians can feel free to talk it up; the rest of you are hypocrites.

Ha ha ha I like the way veggies can drive somewhere and i n the process kill a million insects on their windscreen............oh thats different isnt it :whistling:

Ha ha ha I like the way veggies can drive somewhere and i n the process kill a million insects on their windscreen............oh thats different isnt it :whistling:

And take antibiotics to kill bacteria? Yeah, I'd probably classify bugs as different.

I'm not vegetarian, by the way, which is why I have the good sense not to criticize other people's diets.

:clap2:

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply. Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

And take antibiotics to kill bacteria? Yeah, I'd probably classify bugs as different.

I'm not vegetarian, by the way, which is why I have the good sense not to criticize other people's diets.

killing is killing does it matter what you kill??? nahhhhhhhh youll happily swat the fly but behead a human?? no difference

:clap2:

Id eat the dog to survive.

I saw this story on television and was so shocked . Thailand is not a country to be a dog , even if you are not destined for the dinner table . Almost nobody cares for their dog . Dogs are fed scraps or left over rice , or mostly feed from people's dusbins . Nearly all the village dogs get run over by cars and legs broken , there are no veterinary services in the vicinity . Caged pickups regularly pass through our village picking up dogs , some sold or given , others effectively stolen . My friend's sweet dog disappeared without trace ; I wanted to go to Sakhon Nakhon to find him , but its a long journey and would probably have been a wasted journey . I think it even more terrible to see large numbers of dogs so tightly caged , bound for a long journey by truck and boat to another country . Thais have little feeling for other human beings and none for animals .

This is certainly true for the North East and poorer regions of Thailand. I lived in Surin province for a number of years and it seemed that dogs kept by families in the village were used as an emergency food source when there was a lack of meat in the household. I once took a Thai to Korat zoo and he pointed out which animals were good to eat and which ones were mai aroy.

In the larger cities, however, their are many pet lovers, expecially dog lovers. They take their pets to be shampooed and groomed, buy them the best treats and those silly little outfits you sometimes see poodles wearing. Soi dogs are fed by the locals. To say that all Thais have little feeling for other human beings and none for animals is simply untrue. But can seem to be true in some of the villages.

Antoher poster mentioned whats the difference between a cow and a dog. We as omnivores tend to relate with more empathy with other carnivores, especially mammels than herbivores, or say insects. That is just the way we are. The exception in Thailand is the elephant, the national animal. There are large wild herds that destroy crops, and thousands bred domestically and put to the streets to make money. Nobody would dare suggest a cull, or care to accept problems casused by the elephant in the room.

Back to the dogs. I don't have a suggestion other that mentioned of sancturarys, and don't forget the role that Buddhist watts have in sheltering street dogs. I've never been to a temple that doesn't have a huge pack on the grounds.

That's a very sad photo, seeing all those dogs kept like that

Never seen a pig/chicken transport?

Whatever, the pig/chicken thing does NOT alter the fact that it IS a very sad photo. Are you trying to distract yourself? .. or others?

So, if there is cruelty across the board, then the sentiments should be toward affecting change.

Back in October last year, I began laying the groundwork for an animal welfare project in my town, and was offered support from Bangkok vet. The project involves school children and hopefully soon, acknowledgement from local government.

(Edited to correct spelling mistakes.)

Edited by TechnikaIII