Is A New Flood On The Way?

Gonzo the Face

While here in CM the river is about normal, but I just received a call from a friend in Phrao and he says it has been raining hard all night and they are flooding at the moment.

Anyone else had any word on more water coming our way ?

Just when the repairs from the last batch of flooding is about fixed >????????

The river isn't that high, nor is it moving that fast on Sunday afternoon, but I wonder about the tropical storm now hitting Vietnam. Precipitation from the last one that hit there made its way to Chiang Mai and help trigger the last (and biggest flood).

Link

With very heavy rain last night and most of this morning, there naturally has been some local flooding, probably due to all the crap in the drains. What cocerns me more is that figures are starting to appear on the HYDRO PAGE again..... :o

MM

Help me out a little if you please. As I don't have a Thai reader with me at the time, on the Hydro page, I thought it was the second block down on the left that was the river level on the Ping. I can only get the readings for the 11th on my computer. Is there another block to click on or how do I get to the current date

Thanks

Gonzo

TROPICAL STORM WILL SOON CAUSE HEAVY RAIN IN THE NORTH AND SOUTH

Khaitak tropical storm has gained momentum and is now declared a typhoon. At 10 am this morning the storm's center was 450 kilometers northeast of Natrang city in Vietnam. Highest wind speed recorded near the center was 120 kilometers per hour.

The Thai Meteorological Department reported that the storm was moving slowly northwest, and is expected to make landfall in Vietnam on November 1st. This is not expected to have direct effect to the weather condition in the Gulf of Thailand. However indirect effects to Thailand's northern and southern regions will occur.

Heavy rain is forecasted in Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Phayao, Nan, Prachab_khirikhan, Phang_nga, and Phuket in the coming period.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอาทิตย์ที่ 30 ตุลาคม 2548

The Ping has risen considerably today and is continuing to rise. Heavy rains and thunderstorms are predicted for the next four days. There is a current flood warning in force.

Typhoon “Kai-Tak” in the south China Sea was centered at latitude 14.5 oN, longitude 111.8 oE, maximum wind near center 80 knot or 150 km/hr. It is moving northwest slowly.

The Ping has risen considerably today and is continuing to rise. Heavy rains and thunderstorms are predicted for the next four days. There is a current flood warning in force.

Typhoon “Kai-Tak” in the south China Sea was centered at latitude 14.5 oN, longitude 111.8 oE, maximum wind near center 80 knot or 150 km/hr. It is moving northwest slowly.

post-7622-1130760691.jpg

post-7622-1130760771_thumb.jpg

As of right now a little before 8 AM, the river is out of its banks at my place by Rama IX Bridge.

It is still on the rise....

I do wish that the Hydro people were a little more concerned with the graph readings. It is now almost 8AM and there has been no postings at all for the 8 hours of the 1st of November...

To have some idea on how fast the river is rising gives one a little advance knowledge on what to do.....

Still see no sandbagging activity in this area.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

THE 13TH STATEMENT ON TROPICAL STORM KAI TAK

The Meteorological Department has issued the 13th statement on the Typhoon Kai Tak.

In the statement, the Meteorological Department said that Typhoon Kai Tak in the South China Sea has weakened into a tropical depression. The center of tropical storm Kai Tak is about 220 kilometers east of Kwang Ngai (กวางงาย) of Vietnam or about 620 kilometers east of Ubonratchatani (อุบลราชธานี). The storm is centered at latitude 15.0 o N, longitude 110.5o E. Its maximum wind near center is measured at 110 kilometers per hour.

Currently, the tropical storm is slowly moving northwestward. It is expected to hit Vietnam tomorrow on November 2nd. It is expected to weaken quickly afterward, as it meets cold and dry weather front from China. Tropical storm Kai Tak will cause more rain in Northeastern Thailand during today and tomorrow.

In addition, strong winds are expected in the Gulf of Thailand. Fishermen should be more cautious when sailing during the next few days.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 1 พฤศจิกายน 2548

As of right now a little before 8 AM, the river is out of its banks at my place by Rama IX Bridge. 

It is still on the rise....

I do wish that the Hydro people were a little more concerned with the graph readings.  It is now almost 8AM and there has been no postings at all for the 8 hours of the 1st of November...

To have some idea on how fast the river is rising gives one a little advance knowledge on what to do.....   

Still see no sandbagging activity in this area.

I live on the Ping River near the new French restaurant, Le Crystal, the manager of which lamented the lack of municipal assistance during September and October's flooding [CityLife:http://www.chiangmainews.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=422].

Actually the government dredged the river, albeit sporadically, last year along the frontage of Le Crystal and south beyond the Patan bridge near the new Lotus Tesco. Shortly thereafter, local fishermen were chest-deep while casting for fish, while last week they were only knee-deep. There has been so much sand deposited in the Ping as a result of the recent flooding, that I fear the worst next year. There are now sandbars where there were none. I have been renting here for five years now, and the October flooding was the worst, coming within a centimeter of entering my home. I am considering building a concrete block wall along the riverside of the property, but as the landlord is reluctant to share the cost, I may well have to move. If the dredging begins again it will have to be consistent and deep. Last year the barge simply moved helter-skelter along the river, seemingly dredging only beside open areas where the dredged sand could be piled for easy access for loading onto trucks.

With very heavy rain last night and most of this morning, there naturally has been some local flooding, probably due to all the crap in the drains. What cocerns me more is that figures are starting to appear on the HYDRO PAGE again..... :o

Great Link MMan- that's a keeper (along with JD's previous posted thai meteorology link)

Thx both. :D

Edited by baht&sold