Blocked Websites

luther

I see that Rolling Stone Magazine's website is now blocked in Thailand. Matt Taibbi made headlines with an article on stock market corruption, but surely that's not the reason.

Is there a source explaining Thai censorship decisions?

Funny you should mention that. I was just trying to read the excellent article about Goldman Sachs unusual relationship with the U.S. government written about a year ago in Rolling Stone. I've read it a couple of times over the last year. I've tried 3 times in the last couple of days to access the website and you're right - it's blocked now.

I've only ever encountered a couple of websites that have been blocked and there is usually a message to contact the Royal Thai Police with questions. This one just says "access denied. you don't have permission to access the server".

Weird.

this is being blocked BY rolling stone...cuz of the thai IP address. Similar to blocked youtube content at times, HBO, etc... out of region, out of mind...

I simply launch Hotspot and then i easily access all these sites... even my netflix acct in USA is useable with this easy method. Hotspot shield even enables my buddies who live in china to use facebook and skype!

What issues are you having? :rolleyes:

It does seem that this is something on the rollingstone.com server, not sure if it's intentional. If intentional then most big companies/sites do it properly, i.e. a message explaining that 'the content is not available in your region' or similar. This just looks like a server error, I think they are just having issues.

post-115706-0-47061800-1313718300_thumb.

this is being blocked BY rolling stone...cuz of the thai IP address.

I'll take your word for it, but it seems odd RS intentionally is blocking access from Thailand. I sent them a note and will report back. Meanwhile the Taibbi article is available here...http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php/20165-Matt-Taibbi-Our-Shredder-At-Work!

I tried several free proxy sites last year. None worked for the sites I wanted to access. I will download Hotspot and see how it well it works. Thanks for the lead.

• 2 weeks later...

Post removed making a general statement to use proxies. As that would include government blocks, it is against forum rules.

9) Not to discuss proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

Post removed making a general statement to use proxies. As that would include government blocks, it is against forum rules.

9) Not to discuss proxies or other methods of bypassing government blocking of websites.

Hmmmmmm..... I was wondering when someone was going to spout off and use that 'P' word....... but that's what I was thinking......whistling.gif

For those that enjoyed reading the RS article he wrote, I would recommend reading his book. I really enjoyed Matt Taibbi's book. Maybe he went a bit far in his personal insults that went down to the level of how someone looks, rather than focus on criticizing the actions, but I guess it makes for a more entertaining read. But, the story of greed and lack of ethics and accountability are both interesting and a sad commentary on the USA. Not that the USA is alone is this, but an interesting glimpse into the inner workings.

Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America by Matt Taibbi

And if you enjoyed reading his book, then would also highly recommend The Big Short that describes the story and players in more detail. A very interesting and illuminating read.

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis