Plans For Thailand To Send A Man Into Space

britmaveric

:o So very sad,i think that all readers from all countries can see a reflection

of our own 'leaders'throwing red herrings by the ton,to cover the B/S

that we as reasonably ejakated hoomons see right through !

Each & every land has its own brand of same,just a REAL shame the Thai

people,being poor & under-educated have to put up with highly educated

con-men who would take (with a smile)their last chance.

Very true, but not much we can do about it. If the expats make jokes it is only in fun. I would like to see thailand have a space program. One day it will be important and you must start some time . The easy way to put Thais into space is through chartered seats on shuttles , manned rockets or start a tecnology transfer. As close as Dr. T is to the Chinese he should be able to get a rocket program for giving away Mat Tha Phut ( Rayong) during their( PM and China) last meeting. :D

:D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, here is my 2 satang worth: All jokes aside, it would be pointless for a country like Thailand to try to start up a manned space program. All they could do would be to copy the achievements of the US and USSR 50 years later! If the Thai's wanted to do something really inovative and different, they, or any other equatorial or near equatorial country would be very well situated to build a ground based satellite launcher. A "space gun" as it's sometimes called, could launch small, unmanned, satellites at about 1/20th the cost of a conventional rocket. Any country that successfully build an operational space gun could monopolized the small, LEO, satellite market!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

http://www.geocities.com/markpeeters96/z004.html

OK, here is my 2 satang worth:  All jokes aside, it would be pointless for a country like Thailand to try to start up a manned space program.  All they could do would be to copy the achievements of the US and USSR 50 years later!  If the Thai's wanted to do something really inovative and different, they, or any other equatorial or near equatorial country would be very well situated to build a ground based satellite launcher.  A "space gun" as it's sometimes called, could launch small, unmanned, satellites at about 1/20th the cost of a conventional rocket.  Any country that successfully build an operational space gun could monopolized the small, LEO, satellite market!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

http://www.geocities.com/markpeeters96/z004.html

You mean like, innovation? Not much chance of skimming off money there is it?

Methinks the CEO will not have any of that..... :o

Thailand is not equitorial but perhaps they could participate in the space elevator. It's an interesting concept.

A space elevator is a physical connection from the surface of the Earth, or another planetary body such as Mars, to a geostationary Earth orbit (GEO - In the case of Earth) above the Earth at roughly 35,786 km in altitude.

It is hoped that someday a space elevator would be utilized as a transportation and utility system for moving people, payloads, power, and gases between the surface of the Earth and space. It makes the physical connection from Earth to space in the same way a bridge connects two cities across a body of water. (Source: NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Advanced Space Infrastructure Workshop on Geostationary Orbiting Tether Space Elevator Concepts, slightly modified)

http://www.spaceelevator.com/

http://www.universetoday.com/am/uploads/20...evator-full.jpg

OK, here is my 2 satang worth:  All jokes aside, it would be pointless for a country like Thailand to try to start up a manned space program.  All they could do would be to copy the achievements of the US and USSR 50 years later......

let me add my own 2 satangs too ...

I'd realy like to express one of possible AlTERNATIVE points of view on this subject to those who simply see this news report as some joke.

I agree with you, and want to confirm it - they indeed done exactly in this way ! or more precisely - just requested Thai person be accepted into already existing and developed enough Russian space program.

according to what I saw myself on local Thai TV, this whole subject started since Thai PM has had a meeting with Putin in Moscow, and as one of things he discussed with him there it was mentioned - that he has requested Putin to let or help or whatever (report was in Thai, my wife has translated to me main thing) that Thai astronaut to be sent to space along with Russian team, as it has been done many times previously with astronauts from other countries.

therefore, I doubt it that Thais are THAT stupid (even without taking into consideration their "face" concept) so that they don't know as well as all who make fun of them here, that it'd be pointless to start whole program of developing their own facilities - just for show off : "hey, look , we also have sent a man to the space " (sort of like that famous logo in Malaysia few years back "Malaysia boleh !" [translated literally "Malaysia also can lah !" :o ] after their guy had crossed the world on single yacht)

and then the main thing is - I think this kind of news report is simply some sort of diversion from some main issues anyway in domestic issues and perhaps including those other matters which were discussed with Putin and were not realy desirable for publicity. it is easier to give some such thing to eager reporters instead of giving info on more serious matters

- Khun T., what you've been talking about with Putin? why at all you went to meet him ?

- Oh, we want to send Thai to space - won't that be great ?!

Raising cheers of whole reporters crowd (Thais), encreasing heartfull applauds quickly turning into wild prolonged ovation ..... :D

nope, despite all the critisism of T. here, I don't think he is such a simpleton as to try to impress others with this sort of accomplishements ...

one of the main issues was definitely - oil from Russia, since it was shown on news that he has even visited one or more oil harvesting sites in Siberia, and was shown giving an interview regarding it.

there are plenty of other matters there, no doubt, which weren't disclosed for media.

or perhaps such as this news feeds (with underlining context "look, guys - what a joke !" - rather than real info about serious matters) selected deliberately to entertain "cheerleaders" here who would jump to each and every chance / opportunity to post ANYTHING ?

in my opinion, one shouldn't indiscriminately swallow everything whatever TV provides, even though it might often seem that there is a plenty of news about and related to Thailand are posted here which might not be available elsewhere.

in fact, it'd be good if TV could have some local Thai stuff, who could give at least sort of regular "news digest" of all local Thai media - newpapers, TV etc. I mean - from the sources in pahasa Thai , not only in English. it'd give some alternative points of view, what people in the our host country realy think and are concerned about, not only what some farangs who has come to other country to live in it and yet keep "look down upon Thais" attitude or superiority comlex ("we are from 1st world countries - and these are after all almost aborigenes").

I see many things on Thai TV which perhaps wont' be even shown in the West. BUT I hardly seen echo of such issues raised there .... for me at least it shows that most of farangs (or at least those who are regulars here?) don't watch it much or read Thai papers, or even don't hear from their Thai spouses, g/fs, friends, colleges what is daily life here in Thailand.

I guess one of reasons that some or many prefer to look for Thai news (or should we say - some "selectively chosen" reports) here on this Forum is because most of farangs've got used too much to "superior" Western media which they trust entirely and unconditionally and therefore trust and belive blindly - therefore it is easy for them to swallow whatever they are being fed, instead of bothering to see "the other side of a coin".

I think most of those who ridicule Thailand here simply have nothing else to do.

in fact, it'd be good if TV could have some local Thai stuff, who could give at least sort of regular "news digest" of all local Thai media - newpapers, TV etc. I mean - from the sources  in pahasa Thai , not only in English. it'd give some alternative points of view, what people in the our host country realy think and are concerned about, not only what some farangs who has come to other country to live in it and yet keep "look down upon Thais" attitude or superiority comlex ("we are from 1st world countries - and these are after all almost aborigenes"). 

If you have a look around, there are many Thai websites that post breaking news bulletins in phassa Thai... and there are also quite a few Thai Forums, similar to ThaiVisa in fact, that comment on news stories and public affairs... also in phassa Thai.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me, and I will forward some on to you.

I guess one of reasons that some or many prefer to look for Thai news (or should we say - some "selectively chosen" reports) here on this Forum is because most of farangs've got used too much to "superior" Western media which they trust entirely and unconditionally and therefore trust and belive blindly - therefore it is easy for them to swallow whatever they are being fed, instead of bothering to see "the other side of a coin".

For the record, the majority of the News Bulletins posted here are the result of subscriptions to Thai News Agencies... if any "selection criteria" applies to the type of reports published, it is done by the originating News Agency.

"Selective" news reports is only (rarely) done by ThaiVisa if a report is in violation of Forum Rules, or Policy.

I think most of those who ridicule Thailand here simply have nothing else to do.

I tend to agree with you on that. :o

If you want more info, feel free to PM me, and I will forward some on to you. :o

Jai Dee - thanks for you comment

no, not for me - for all those who doesn't read anything else than TV Forums or what isn't mentioned / recommended in these Forums.

I understand your logical assumption that "no need to post here what is widely available on plenty other sites". however you have to make a discount for all those (and they are more than plenty here, I bet !) who don't search anything else, and therefore for them your logic doesn't work.

I actually mean that someone could have been giving digest of Thai media translated into English here, at least brief, not some analysis or special feeds. I didn't mean that news in Thai should be provided here.

and some more or less attentive search can indeed give interesting results, since most of news agencies perhaps skip such subjects or miss the main intents of some things happening. is it because of what claimed to be lack of free and open press in Thailand and / or shortsightness of Western Media (their being conditioned by their own concepts and ideologies) - many things slip away from average reader's attention.

my only brief search just now on BBC, CNN, msnbc, foxnews (what's other popular sources are out there ? I couldn't think of more which I think mostly read by farangs in Thailand) didn't show any results of either Thaksin visiting Russia or about idea of sending Thai into space !

even Bkk Post? didn't say much about it, only the fact itself Thaksin and Putin has met and that Russia is welcomed to attend ASEAN in KL in Dec 2005 (where East block would be discussed) - which is more likely about Russia-ASEAN arms trade and oil supply than about space programs. surely also about geting back loan given to Russia in '91(Russians offer Kalashnikovs to settle Thai debt - "Diamonds and oil were two of the Russian commodities under discussion during the 1990s; arms have been discussed only recently") was discussed between Putin and T. too - which was mentioned neither by Western media nor by local Thai.

Google News serch gave only 3 results - by Bernama (Malaysia), NY Times (US) and thainews.com - not much, huh ? oh, and BTW NY Times result doesn't count it is irrelevent. so only 2 results than. the only more or less informative was

article by Bernama - and I guess more likely reasons for Thaksin visiting those 5 countries are listed there, one of which is:

Thaksin is also expected to vie for support for the country's candidate for the United Nations secretary-general post. Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai is aspiring to take over from incumbent Kofi Annan after his term ends next year.

that is one of more likely ambition behind his whole USA and later Europian trip - which shows that he isn't so stupid as simply to show off "we can send a man to space too !"

Thais already have Supachai Panitchpakdi as their own man in WTO as a Director General - why not a UN's secretary-general as well ? man in space - is not such a big deal, can wait for another 10 years..... :D

or may be even a matter discussed in this article by some Nigerian paper has had more importance in their meeting, who knows ? at least to me it seems that it is much more likely that Thaksin has been discussing THIS kind of matters with Putin, not simply about how to send man to the Moon (oops, I mean - space) as Thai TV channel has focused their report on (or were allowed to talk about?).

(I found this article by chance on Google - using keywords Thaksin meets Putin)

It is now time for President Obasanjo to join the new strongmen, a fresh breed of leaders, who have put state control back in style and with success.

Mahathir Mohamad at the height of the Asian financial crisis ignored Western free market advisers by imposing a very personal form of state control. The problem was money fleeing the country as we have in Nigeria. Mahathir banned capital flight and it worked.

The leading practitioners of this new statism include Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose theories have come to be known as Thaksinomics who introduced state control in certain areas, especially the energy sector with prices caps.

Vladimir Putin of Russia slowly extends Kremlin control over the economy particularly the oil companies. He too, is diverting petrodollars to welfare state spending. All these leaders enjoy the benefits of free markets but watch the cost implications carefully as they have negative effects on economic life.

These leaders did not plot moves together, but their simultaneous emergence on three continents is made possible by widespread backlash against free market as promoted by the US government. They want  to be able to keep a grip on things. So, the decision on a more activist role on the part of government is not a bad idea. If properly managed, state control could become an enduring legacy to counter  Western policy dictates.

Edited by aaaaaa

Well with the huge amount of methane located in about Thailand, the fuel source is quite plentiful!!!!!!!  Do any of you wonder why they take off their shoes before going inside a house or building?????  pheeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuu.  Anyway, why bother to send and waste this valuable fuel???????  Thais already have a rocket right smack on the ground, and it is rocking and rolling huh???? rocking and rolling????? say again please, no it is not rocking it is rolling, and wait a minute here folks it is rolling and not rocking, OK OK, hold on folks, anyone got a spiff to give it a lift?????  whaaaaaaaaaa, are you kidding, your gonna blow us up, and noooooo, that won't happen, oh yeaaaaaaaaaa, it sure will, enough methane to light up a million lights no doubt, ahhhhhhhh shucks, its the only way to get on up, yeaaaaaaaaa get on up, and get on up --- wait a minute here, are ya talking James Brown now, and ahhhhhh heck now i see it brother I see it brother, what a fancy piece of foot work, hold it hold it hold it freeeeeeeeeeeeze right there brother, there is a land mine just a centimeter behind you, darn it, now you just stepped on that blasting cap, and if you move it will spark, and hold it let me get my space suit on first, ahhhhhhhhhh, ok, now hold it let me get to the other side of this confounded thai made steel door, hey jack, did they make this door with carbon or not????, ok ok, stepped on the other side, locked it up and kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabooooom get on up,  get on up, get on up!!!!!!! and away it goes--------  nudging a fellow space cadet, did you see it go UP!!!!!!!

Daveyo

That's good stuff Dave. Can I have some?

Just read all of this thread. I AM a rocket scientist!! I worked for 15 years in Europe as a satellite and rocket design consultant, working for the likes of European Space Agency, Matra Aerospace, British Aerospace etc.

My comments on this news report is that a manned space program initiated by Thailand is not realistic at all, (for all the reasons previously given). Putting a Thai into space via the Russian program would certainly carry a lot of face for Thailand, but would probably not benefit the country otherwise.

A space program does not have to include manned flight. Thailand already has an existing space program in that several Thai satellites have been launched, for both commercial broadcast and business use. Thailand has a national space organisation. (Which recently advertised for a new Director. I fitted the bill but they wanted a Thai...As far as I know, they never filled the vacancy).

Thailand could certainly benefit from encouraging 'space' companies. Space does not mean that a company is launching satellites and rockets. Think of the Ariane program in France. There are many French companies, both small and large, who contribute to the national space program by manufacturing some item for use on the rockets, satellites, ground-stations etc.

I would love to establish a venture in Thailand which could manufacture some important item for world space programs, whether it be for commercial or scientific projects. The problem is trying to identify what 'item' is worhty of investment. (As a farang, I also always have serious doubts that I would get any encouragement from the nationalistic Thai government....)

Oh well, back to my Roy Rodgers books........

Just read all of this thread. I AM a rocket scientist!!  I worked for 15 years in Europe as a satellite and rocket design consultant, working for the likes of European Space Agency, Matra Aerospace, British Aerospace etc.

My comments on this news report is that a manned space program initiated by Thailand is not realistic at all, (for all the reasons previously given).  Putting a Thai into space via the Russian program would certainly carry a lot of face for Thailand, but would probably not benefit the country otherwise.

A space program does not have to include manned flight.  Thailand already has an existing space program in that several Thai satellites have been launched, for both commercial broadcast and business use.  Thailand has a national space organisation.  (Which recently advertised for a new Director.  I fitted the bill but they wanted a Thai...As far as I know, they never filled the vacancy).

Thailand could certainly benefit from encouraging 'space' companies. Space does not mean that a company is launching satellites and rockets.  Think of the Ariane program in France.  There are many French companies, both small and large, who contribute to the national space program by manufacturing some item for use on the rockets, satellites, ground-stations etc.

I would love to establish a venture in Thailand which could manufacture some important item for world space programs, whether it be for commercial or scientific projects.  The problem is trying to identify what 'item' is worhty of investment.  (As a farang, I also always have serious doubts that I would get any encouragement from the nationalistic Thai government....)

Oh well, back to my Roy Rodgers books........

You could just make copies of all the equipment you have been involved prior. I am sure the government would then back you. If it's legit they probably don't want anything to do with it. :o

Simon,

Sincere inquiry here. Can you give an opinion of the space elevator concept? As general or as detailed as you like. I'd be interested to know what a rocket scientist thinks of it. Thanks.

Edited by aughie

Hi Aughie! I'm certainly no expert in space elevators :o But the concept and principals seem technically sound. We mustn't forget that people laughed at Arthur C Clarke when he first raised the idea of geo-stationary satellites in an article in 'Wireless World' magazine...

Instead of an escalator (to nowhere?) why not build a monorail? Or a popsicle stick skyscraper, or 50-foot magnifying glass, or...

Why not? Bangkok already has many highways to nowhere. :D

cv

Very true. I got lost on the ring road around Bangkok a year or so ago when I was coming up from Phuket and ended up going east on the southern section. 6 lanes - 3 in each direction - of deserted highway eventually ended in a single track soi that was barely wide enough for two cars to pass. :o

I've never strayed from route 35 since. :D

"I wonder how many posters here would give the same comments up in front of a Thai.  Oh perhaps they will, isn't it part of farang's culture to speak out their minds?"

<Mod edit - please keep your comments about Thais civil at least>

Now back to the party.

What is this edit about. This terd made a crack about Farangs and requested a response. You can check any case where a Farang has an altercation with a Thai it is always 10 - 20 against one. Same as the racists in The US 100 years ago, same as Israelis today.

Only cowards behave this way. It is not civil behavior, why cover it up? What is your point with the cover up?

You would think in an anonymous forum people could try to be honest with themselves!!! :o

Chill out, and relax, Jim!

Don't ya have a sense of humor? :D:D

***what did I tell you about being civil? reply deleted***

Edited by cdnvic

• 3 weeks later...

KA-BOOOOMMMMMM would look bad for the country.

Did well for JFK's ratings. Also might be useful for the thai government to pay for it and taksiin to use it to send up his companies satelites for a token fee. Something like that. floating a balloon to see the publics too. The idea of them paying for it is beyond most of them.

• 8 months later...

UPDATE.... and cue laugh track

To all those who doubted the PM's sincere comments in the OP of this thread: :D pffffttttt....

thaisinspace.jpg

Chief Executive Officer of Nok Air, Patee Sarasin poses for photo with director of business development, Space Advertures, John Moltzan during press conference in Bangkok, 31 August 2006. AFP. :o

SPACE TRAVEL

Nok Air Offers Budding Thai Astronauts Trips To Space

Bangkok (Aug 31, 2006)

Thailand's budget carrier Nok Airlines on Thursday announced it would be working with US-based Space Adventures to help budding Thai astronauts realize their dreams of space travel.

For 100,000 dollars (a mere 3,756,499.86 baht in today's exchange rate) , wealthy Thais can spend two days at a training center in Russia or Florida before launching off for a 15 to 20 minute suborbital flight, which soars 62 miles (100 kilometers) above Earth

So far, two people have signed up for the space flights, said Patee Sarasin, chief executive officer for Nok Air, which will market and sell the Space Adventures packages in Thailand.

hmmm... the PM himself and a Bulgarian gems trader holding a Thai Elite Card???

"We are bringing an important flying experience to travellers by not just taking them to one destination in the world, but to (the edge of) the space," Patee told reporters.

"Even if the service is not high-volume right now, we target that increasing volume could bring the price down in the next five to ten years."

The service will officially launch in 2009, and John Moltzan, Space Adventures' director of business development, thinks that 10 to 20 Thais could experience space travel in the first year.

"Some wealthy Thais are willing to pay that amount of money for such adventure," he told AFP.

Nok Air, a discount airline of flag carrier Thai Airways International, is currently the only airline partner of Space Adventures in Asia, Moltzan said, although they will act as an agent rather than fly space tourists anywhere.

"Nok Air is young, innovative, and energetic and those fit very well with our key business to bring new experience to customers," he said.

So far, 200 clients around the world have bought tickets for suborbital flights with Washington DC-based Space Adventures, the world's first space tourism venture.

Apart from suborbital flights, Space Adventures also offers orbital flights, which require five months of training for a 10-day trip.

For those really wanting splash out, the US firm offers a two-week stay in space on lunar flights for around 20 million dollars (a paltry 751,299,972.53 baht).

Founded in 1998, Space Adventures has sold over 120-million-dollar's worth of space flights, including five orbital flights and 200 suborbital flights.

Source: Agence France-Presse

Edited by sriracha john

I wonder how many Royal-Orchid-Plus air-miles you would get, per orbit ?

Or, if you both took-off from, and landed back in, Thailand - then I guess it would count only as a 'domestic' flight , worth a measly 500. :D

Regretably I now realise that, as a Nok Air flight, this would not after all be eligible for air-miles, sigh. :o