Why Thais Wont Eat Lamb?

henleyd

Do you know a Thai person that eats lamb ?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why Thais wont eat Lamb?

I have been asking this question for a long time and I allways get a different answer! the most common answers are as follows:

• It smells....(fish smells like fish , pork smells like pork, lamb smells like lamb!)
  • Its a small animal and against Buda's teachings to eat a small animal.....( a chikens a small animal too)
  • It taste bad....(how do you know it taste bad if you never ate it?)
  • It looks like a dog ? ......( I have never seen a dog with horns!)
  • It tastes like dog meat..... ( how do you know what dog tastes like anyway??????)
  • Its a cute animal to cute too eat.....(My baby duck was cute too the wife ate that when it was 8 weeks old!)
  • Its muslim food only muslims eat it ....(I am not a muslim and chinese are not muslims we love it)
  • Its ferang food only ferang eat it......(Chinese are not ferang)

The truth is a mystery to me, I have introduced my Thai wife to eat lamb. It took a long time and a few lies to get her to. The first time she ate it was at a resturant in Bangkok lamb kababs after she ate it she was so sick vomiting and shaking all night, she was also ashamed and disgusted with herself as if she has commited a sin, the next day she went to a temple to see a monk and was begging for forgiveness. She vowed never to eat it again and made me promise i would not tell her mum and family.

The next time she ate it was in Australia, I cooked a dozen lamb cuttlets on the BBQ, I lied and told her it was baby beef! she loved it ate it all up and told me to cook it again!! I cooked it again a few times and than told her it was lamb, she was angry at me for lying but continued to eat it all up. I next roasted a led of lamb and served it with mint sauce, she ate it and told me it was the best food she ever ate.

Now she is addicted to lamb ! she cooks lamb curry, lamb soup, roast lamb and BBQ lamb. she loves the fat and skin and she eats it about four times a week, tonight she is cooking lamb massaman curry, yum yum yum better than beef.

Anyway I still dont know why Thais dont eat lamb. I asume its not because it smells as most Thai food smells to dried fish smells bad and they eat that for breakfast! Maybe its just not available in Thailand and is expensive if you can find it, i dont think its because its a small animal against Budas teachings as the Thais eat many small animals including ants dogs and wild birds are on the menu too if nothing else is available. I know its not dirty meat and Thais know that too i dont know why they say that.

I said to the wife why dont we start a sheep farm in Thailand and sell lamb meat she said " I wouldnt be able to give it away Thais dont eat lamb." but why? why? why not .

God knows Thailand needs some good quality red meat the Thai beef tastes like a leather shoe and the bufflo is tougher than jerky.

Do you know why Thais wont eat lamb ? I dont know

My Missus love lamb, first time I cooked it she had no idea what lamb was but enjoyed it immensely which is a pain in the wallet as today is roast day and I was hankering for chicken but she insisted on Lamb, 1400b vs 150b AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but it does smell lush baking away on the BBQ.

My Missus love lamb, first time I cooked it she had no idea what lamb was but enjoyed it immensely which is a pain in the wallet as today is roast day and I was hankering for chicken but she insisted on Lamb, 1400b vs 150b AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but it does smell lush baking away on the BBQ.

Where do you buy it ? there is no lamb for sale in Nong Khai where my missus is from. Lucky we live in Australia. 1400b a kilo shit maybe a sheep farm is a good idea

It could be a chicken Vs the Egg scenario...

I've had some great Australian Lamb in Thailand, but it's not cheap so its not really accessible to the masses.

Otherwise, the cheaper lamb I have had in Thailand is mutton - its tough and it does smell when cooked. It's a smell generally unfamiliar to many Thai's and as such its a somewhat undesirable smell.

I've also observed Americans are less fond of lamb when compared to Europeans, Australians and New Zealanders.

Perhaps its as simple as there isn't much available in Thailand, and what there is available isn't worth visiting a second time.

In general Thai's don't much go for Indian food either.

Where do you buy it ? there is no lamb for sale in Nong Khai where my missus is from. Lucky we live in Australia. 1400b a kilo shit maybe a sheep farm is a good idea

Makro Pattaya, 1400b for a 2.5kg leg.

Agree with Richard, it's unfamiliar to 99% of Thais, and does have a unique aroma and flavour.

I often take my Thai staff to a mine site in Indonesia which is populated by Aussie expats. Plenty of lamb on the menu there, and despite my efforts they won't touch it (even when I explained how expensive it is in Thailand!). As we all know, at a buffet in Thailand the most expensive items will always be the most popular.

Nothing to do with cute fluffy lambs, they have all just told me they don't like the smell or the taste

Its a small animal and against Buda's teachings to eat a small animal.....( a chikens a small animal too)

I've always heard the opposite, people say your not supposed to eat BIG animals. You can eat small animals like fish and birds but not big animals like elephants or cattle, and I suppose sheep.

Either way there was a list Buddha gave of ten specific animals you should avoid eating and sheep aren't on it. You're not supposed to eat human, elephant, horse, dog, snake, lion, tiger, bear, leopard, or hyena.

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

That is truly a disgraceful, hateful act.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Patrick

• Like 1

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Well done Sir. You have certainly put this scoundrel in his place. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Usually about 350/400 baht a kilo for a leg where i buy mine.

Unfortunately with the floods in Oz last year there is a shortage and price has gone way up for chops....

My missus and kids love lamb....I know a few others that do also, most have lived or got the taste overseas but......like anything good, you have to get it outside Thailand first.

Patrick

Well Patrick, I am Australian and I love my Lamb and I dont want to spend the rest of my days without my Lamb, I knew that my wife would love lamb too if I cooked her a spicy lamb stew.... BAAAAA BAAAA BAAAA

Patrick I disagree with you what I did was not in any way disgraceful, hateful or perverse. I think it was a wise thing to do and I hope the rest of you think so too!

• Like 2

"The first time she ate it was at a resturant in Bangkok lamb kababs after she ate it she was so sick vomiting and shaking all night,"

This isn't the first time I've heard of a Thai woman being able to make themselves physically sick with their own mind. Amazing Thailand.

Patrick

Truly disgreaceful act? Don't be pathetic!

What beliefs exactly are you talking about? The author of the post says that his wife absolutely loves lamb now so it's obviously not against her beliefs to eat it.

My wife also loves lamb although like most Thai people who I've met, she initially said it smelt (which is a bit rich coming from people who add fermented fish to their som tam everyday). We lived in N. Africa for a long time and she said it was by far her favorite meat, she even used to bring it back to Thailand with her on every vacation. All her family were more than happy to eat it.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly

Not when those beliefs are steeped in Bullshit a mile long. There is nothing about Buddhism that would suggest it's forbidden to eat lamb.

I've always understood that it's the smell that puts people off. But it can certainly be an acquired taste. My wife and I had a Thai restaurant in Brisbane in the late 80s and early 90s that became popular among senior Thai military officers attached to local units - in fact units in other states as well and the Embassy in Canberra. They used to come in and bring Australian and other officers with them, and they'd order lamb - lamb with basil, lamb curry, stir-fried lamb - they loved it. A significant member of the royal family, in town for Expo '88, also ordered lamb frequently - to be picked up by staff members, not eaten in the restaurant. Perhaps lamb is popular among the higher echelons of Thai society.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly

Not when those beliefs are steeped in Bullshit a mile long. There is nothing about Buddhism that would suggest it's forbidden to eat lamb.

Unless you kill it yourself or it's been killed especially for you. That's Thai Theravada Buddhism. Mahayana is more vegetarian-inclined, though Tibetan Buddhists (including the Dalai Lama) eat meat. In Bhutan, however, where Tibetan-derived Buddhism is practised, vegetarianism is the norm. As you would expect, Thais are more relaxed about these practices.

:whistling:

In Austrailia do you eat goat meat?

Or how about muskrats?

I guess you don't have raccoons in Austrailia, though.

But I'm sure you have a lot of rabbits. How many of them do you have for dinner a week?

I've known people who eat rattlesnakes, alligators, muskrats, (sometimes called water rats), raccoons, and Pilot Whale blubber.

In Iceland Pilot Whale blubber is considered a real delicacy, and commands a high price.

Some of them like it raw.

My point is: probably at least you have a cultural dislike to at least one of those type of meats. You wouldn't think of eating them. You were taught that dislike, but you've never tasted them.

That's what many Thais are taught about sheep.

It may seem silly to you, but to some people in Iceland your dislike of raw Pilot Whale blubber is just as silly. After all, you've never tried it, have you.

In Austrailia do you eat goat meat?

Or how about muskrats?

I guess you don't have raccoons in Austrailia, though.

But I'm sure you have a lot of rabbits. How many of them do you have for dinner a week?

I've known people who eat rattlesnakes, alligators, muskrats, (sometimes called water rats), raccoons, and Pilot Whale blubber.

In Iceland Pilot Whale blubber is considered a real delicacy, and commands a high price.

Some of them like it raw.

My point is: probably at least you have a cultural dislike to at least one of those type of meats. You wouldn't think of eating them. You were taught that dislike, but you've never tasted them.

That's what many Thais are taught about sheep.

It may seem silly to you, but to some people in Iceland your dislike of raw Pilot Whale blubber is just as silly. After all, you've never tried it, have you.

Good point , very good point

Its an area thing.Bit like Haggis in Scotland, but not many other places.There's one village i know that don't like Coffee very much, so this newbies saying its Thai Way. We can get Lamb, but its a bit , well , errm , let me say put enough Mint Sauce on it and pretend a bit.:)

Sorry to disillusion you, but most of Thailand is far too wet for sheep. First, they get footrot, I come from a 24 inch rainfall area in Oz. Footrot happened every year!!. Ever tried to treat footrot? You have to cut the foot back until you draw blood.The stench of the rotting foot is unbelievable.Then ,you force them through a formalin bath. Do they love that?, They Have to "swim " for about 4 metres Enjoy growing sheep in Thailand.Second ,when you get heavy rain ,sheep shit green liquid, due to the grass being so full of water. Next? You have to crutch.Ever crutched a daggy sheep?They stink like hell. Worst job ,I ever had to do. Cutting the daggy wool off their <deleted>. The stench from footrot is bad ,But daggy <deleted> is much worse

• Like 1

Simple ,really-90+% of Thais cannot stand the smell of lamb cooking. Amazingly ,those that actually try to eat it , LOVE it. I had Thai students , who went on study tours to Oz, Most could not hack the smell. Those who actually ate it ,loved it.Were so sad .that it is so expensive here.How about that?

Sorry to disillusion you, but most of Thailand is far too wet for sheep. First, they get footrot, I come from a 24 inch rainfall area in Oz. Footrot happened every year!!. Ever tried to treat footrot? You have to cut the foot back until you draw blood.The stench of the rotting foot is unbelievable.Then ,you force them through a formalin bath. Do they love that?, They Have to "swim " for about 4 metres Enjoy growing sheep in Thailand.Second ,when you get heavy rain ,sheep shit green liquid, due to the grass being so full of water. Next? You have to crutch.Ever crutched a daggy sheep?They stink like hell. Worst job ,I ever had to do. Cutting the daggy wool off their <deleted>. The stench from footrot is bad ,But daggy <deleted> is much worse

Daggy ass, footrot ,green shit and stench sounds really bad! I bet you have nightmares about it mate, I feel like i am gunna spew up my Lamb dinner. Shit I just burped and got a wiff. smells bad. Sheep farming in Thailand maybe not such a good idea for a city boy like me! thanks for the info. And I wont be eating lamb for a while. not until I get the vision of daggy ass out of my head.