Why Thais Wont Eat Lamb?

henleyd

Do you know a Thai person that eats lamb ?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry to disillusion you, but most of Thailand is far too wet for sheep. First, they get footrot, I come from a 24 inch rainfall area in Oz. Footrot happened every year!!. Ever tried to treat footrot? You have to cut the foot back until you draw blood.The stench of the rotting foot is unbelievable.Then ,you force them through a formalin bath. Do they love that?, They Have to "swim " for about 4 metres Enjoy growing sheep in Thailand.Second ,when you get heavy rain ,sheep shit green liquid, due to the grass being so full of water. Next? You have to crutch.Ever crutched a daggy sheep?They stink like hell. Worst job ,I ever had to do. Cutting the daggy wool off their <deleted>. The stench from footrot is bad ,But daggy <deleted> is much worse

Is the right answer.. And because of it, they don't have a tradition of raising sheep. The muslims do have a tradition of it, but it's from outside. It's why the muslim countries in the region import som many sheep from Australia instead of breeding their own..

Incidentally, I understand the Japanese also hate the smell of lamb cooking.

:whistling:

In Austrailia do you eat goat meat?

Or how about muskrats?

I guess you don't have raccoons in Austrailia, though.

But I'm sure you have a lot of rabbits. How many of them do you have for dinner a week?

I've known people who eat rattlesnakes, alligators, muskrats, (sometimes called water rats), raccoons, and Pilot Whale blubber.

In Iceland Pilot Whale blubber is considered a real delicacy, and commands a high price.

Some of them like it raw.

My point is: probably at least you have a cultural dislike to at least one of those type of meats. You wouldn't think of eating them. You were taught that dislike, but you've never tasted them.

That's what many Thais are taught about sheep.

It may seem silly to you, but to some people in Iceland your dislike of raw Pilot Whale blubber is just as silly. After all, you've never tried it, have you.

:whistling:

I've eaten goat many times in Australia. It's served in Italian restaurants as "capretto".

Rabbit, kangaroo, emu and crocodile meat can be found in many major supermarkets. I've eaten all these meats as well as camel, buffalo, snails, ants, frogs, bustard and, on one occasion, dugong (provided by an aboriginal friend).

Willing to try anything once, the gf had chicken feet for dinner tonight, not that wrapped in them myself.

Tried to get her to eat lamb without success. She won't eat any red meat including beef, but loves the foul smelling fish.

..don't know why you would want to trick anyone into eating something they don't like..?

My wife won't eat lot's of stuff even Thai "normals".. she is actually allergic to beef..

Once we ate hotdogs on the beach in Canada.. stupid me ...I did not notice the big sign on the cart saying "pure beef" ...poor girl was kneeling on a log throwing up..probably did not help the poor vendors sales that evening... :rolleyes:

I think Muslims must eat goat (see 'em all over the place down here..goats that is)? Never tried it or seen it for sale but maybe similar to lamb??

Agree with Richard, it's unfamiliar to 99% of Thais, and does have a unique aroma and flavour.

Nothing to do with cute fluffy lambs, they have all just told me they don't like the smell or the taste

yep.......bah.gif

before moving here I based myself at friends' sheep farm in NZ for 7mths; they had freezers full of lamb/mutton and a standard meal - lunch and dinner was most often lamb.

101 ways to cook it maybe, but fortunately never one to go with my cereal for breakfast.

I've never liked it, and don't know that any of my family do either.

Partner's family here are no red meat or alcohol, coffee/tea/cigarettes - not religious just the way they are.

Fish/prawns/squid and occasional chicken, suits me fine.

Edited by Atmos

I have a nice leg in the freezer waiting to cook up one day soon.

Just about to order 10 kilo of chops and another 3 legs or so, plus some lamb loin steaks.

Laos has a lot of sheep apparently. There is a burmese cross type getting about from the old french/british days. I know a guy that lives near us that has 100 sheep. I visited him last year and the smell gave me goose bumps.

yesterday i had lamb the first for 3years,the wf.got a lift to macro so she bought me a treat,[leg of nz 2.5kilos 1400bht],took the fillet off and stewed the rest for the freezer,she hates the smell,even a nice new spring welsh lamb[best in the world] but what amazed me was,we have a dog who is a descendant from the wolf family and when it was cooking he went bonkers,raceing arround the garden looking under the bushes,his head was up in the air picking up the scent,came to the kitchen back door and i let him in,he seemed to think there was an animal of some kind in the house,he checked every room upstairs and downstairs but would not enter the kitchen,for a big dog he seemed frightened this went on all day.normally he eats anything but i offered him some lamb but he backed away does anybodys wife act in this way.oh by the way the lamb was ooooooooful nice only thing missing was jersey pots.

OK I have reached my concusion Thais do eat lamb but lamb is not a traditional Thai food. Most Thais dont even know what lamb is. I know how hard it is to eat a foriegn food. I am an Australian and i never ate kangaroo until I was 34 years old, the first time I ate it I felt sick, the rich taste and smell was alien to me, I could not swallow it and never finished the kangaroo steak I ordered.

There are so many Thai foods us farang wont eat and will never eat. Thais have a right to not want to eat lamb and it may also be comforting for them to know that there is a smelly some would say dirty meat that ferang eat and Thais wont touch with a ten foot pole!

How does it feel when you cook up a lamb meal for your Thai friends and they refuse to eat it because it smells bad? not good, feelings hurt!

Thais know that feeling well because we do it to them every day, we ferang go to their country and turn our noses up at their food and refuse to eat it because it smells! shame on us!

Next time a Thai person cooks up a special feed of ant egss, fried scorpion, sun dried smelly fish and chicken feet for you, try to eat it all up and smile. And dont hurt their feelings.

My wife has eaten it at an Indian restaurant. She didn't say much about the lamb but didn't like the curries. I suspect she would like a leg if I cooked it on the barbi. Rosemary and whole garlic.

I actually prefer goat. Less fat. Muslim Thais know.

oh deer . . . not sheep, but one of the local restaurants has Australian venison on the menu, frozen of course, first time I've seen it sold/served here.

Unsure how well-common venison is ? where did the local deer population go?

My Missus love lamb, first time I cooked it she had no idea what lamb was but enjoyed it immensely which is a pain in the wallet as today is roast day and I was hankering for chicken but she insisted on Lamb, 1400b vs 150b AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but it does smell lush baking away on the BBQ.

Where do you buy it ? there is no lamb for sale in Nong Khai where my missus is from. Lucky we live in Australia. 1400b a kilo shit maybe a sheep farm is a good idea

Sorry to disillusion you, but most of Thailand is far too wet for sheep. First, they get footrot, I come from a 24 inch rainfall area in Oz. Footrot happened every year!!. Ever tried to treat footrot? You have to cut the foot back until you draw blood.The stench of the rotting foot is unbelievable.Then ,you force them through a formalin bath. Do they love that?, They Have to "swim " for about 4 metres Enjoy growing sheep in Thailand.Second ,when you get heavy rain ,sheep shit green liquid, due to the grass being so full of water. Next? You have to crutch.Ever crutched a daggy sheep?They stink like hell. Worst job ,I ever had to do. Cutting the daggy wool off their <deleted>. The stench from footrot is bad ,But daggy <deleted> is much worse

How come Wales,that big Sheeps Toilet has so many, and it never stops raining there..?.Someone had to ask.

How come Wales,that big Sheeps Toilet has so many, and it never stops raining there..?.Someone had to ask.

It is the heat and humidity combined with the rain.......

There is not a lot of heat in Wales and it quite often rains horizontally due to the strong winds.

IMHO Everybody has their own personal preference with food. What one person loves, another person hates. It depends on Country, Province, Ethnicity etc - I think the variables are endless. Hence, no one is right or wrong in this issue.

IMHO Everybody has their own personal preference with food. What one person loves, another person hates. It depends on Country, Province, Ethnicity etc - I think the variables are endless. Hence, no one is right or wrong in this issue.

Thought provoking...

Paradise.....heaven.....mmmmmmm

Today, delivered to our door step was....

10 kilo's of lamb chops.

2 kilos of lamb shoulders.

9.5 kilos of lamb legs.

Lamb leg price......at around 2.4 kilo was 800 baht ish.

Lamb on the barby tonight.....fresh rosemary from the garden.......roast spuds and pumpkins........nice thick gravy.........feeling fat just thinking about it.

Paradise.....heaven.....mmmmmmm

Today, delivered to our door step was....

10 kilo's of lamb chops.

2 kilos of lamb shoulders.

9.5 kilos of lamb legs.

Lamb leg price......at around 2.4 kilo was 800 baht ish.

Lamb on the barby tonight.....fresh rosemary from the garden.......roast spuds and pumpkins........nice thick gravy.........feeling fat just thinking about it.

Delivered lamb, me rikey. Who are you buying from (I assume your in Thailand).

My wife had me bring back some lamb one time so I got what was basically a 1/4 lamb - one leg plus a sheet of ribs attached. When I got to Bangkok I stuck it in the hotel fridge overnight. The next morning I got up a bit late and was running around throwing things in the suitcase to head for my Khon Kaen flight. I couldn't get the lamb in so I ended up shoving it in my carry-on bag. When I put it through the scanner at the airport, nobody batted an eyelid at the sight of the leg with ribs attached on the screen.

I've never heard Thai's should have a problem eating Lamb. Are you sure it's not just your wife who don't like it?

Totally wrong 100% wrong, even your Grammar is wrong, I repeat:: most Thais when exposed to lamb being cooked cannot hack the smell. Thai students on study tours in Oz, get taken to a sheep farm and as a result , an Ozzie barbecue, or to a winery, result, an Ozzie barbecue. The vast majority cannot and will not eat any sheepmeat. Of the odd one that does, yes, they do love it. I , personally ONLY know of one student ,who went to Oz, who liked lamb, out of hundreds. When he came back ,could he eat lamb? NO -Too expensive ..Because of the climate ,as I stated a long time ago, many ,many posts ago ,you cannot successfully rear sheep in Thailand. Also ,Thailand was not colonised by a sheep eating country. So sheep meat was never introduced to Thailand.There was a research project conducted in Rayong ,some 10 years ago, seeing if sheep could be successfully reared in Thailand, but nothing positive seem to have come out of it, to the best of my knowledge. Goats are a very different story, however.