Why Thais Wont Eat Lamb?

henleyd

Do you know a Thai person that eats lamb ?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to Mrs Majic You got it right on your first reason "Because it smells"

The smell is the same reason for the Thai girls in this house. And because we currently live in New Zealand (it is spring and lambing season right now and the little buggers are gayly frolicking around the paddocks) followed closely by "oh ain't they cute". The same also applies to beef more so when it is in crap applications like McDonalds burgers - it stinks.

I've never heard Thai's should have a problem eating Lamb. Are you sure it's not just your wife who don't like it?

Totally wrong 100% wrong, even your Grammar is wrong, I repeat:: most Thais when exposed to lamb being cooked cannot hack the smell. Thai students on study tours in Oz, get taken to a sheep farm and as a result , an Ozzie barbecue, or to a winery, result, an Ozzie barbecue. The vast majority cannot and will not eat any sheepmeat. Of the odd one that does, yes, they do love it. I , personally ONLY know of one student ,who went to Oz, who liked lamb, out of hundreds. When he came back ,could he eat lamb? NO -Too expensive ..Because of the climate ,as I stated a long time ago, many ,many posts ago ,you cannot successfully rear sheep in Thailand. Also ,Thailand was not colonised by a sheep eating country. So sheep meat was never introduced to Thailand.There was a research project conducted in Rayong ,some 10 years ago, seeing if sheep could be successfully reared in Thailand, but nothing positive seem to have come out of it, to the best of my knowledge. Goats are a very different story, however.

My wife loves lamb, so does many of her friends. (all Thais of course). Whatever.

The smell is the same reason for the Thai girls in this house. And because we currently live in New Zealand (it is spring and lambing season right now and the little buggers are gayly frolicking around the paddocks) followed closely by "oh ain't they cute". The same also applies to beef more so when it is in crap applications like McDonalds burgers - it stinks.

Kiwis...

Every Thai whom I know well and whom I would know their meat eating habits eats and enjoys lamb save one. That one person actually likes it, but after selling her company, she put off lamb and beef as part of a religious/spiritual thing.

One of the best lamb dishes i have had outside of maybe Jordan or New Zealand is cooked by the Thai wife of a Thai friend of mine. ANd I often take a Thai friend to Molly Malones for their Sunday Roast, and she only eats the lamb and pork there, devouring quite a bit for such a petite woman.

Lamb is expensive in Australia now too Its not just Thailand. I just paid $37 a kilo for the best fillit lamb. Thats more expensive than the biggest king prawns

haven't you heard of prawns at 1200 Baht a kilo ? try the market at Mahachai

My Missus love lamb, first time I cooked it she had no idea what lamb was but enjoyed it immensely which is a pain in the wallet as today is roast day and I was hankering for chicken but she insisted on Lamb, 1400b vs 150b AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but it does smell lush baking away on the BBQ.

Where do you buy it ? there is no lamb for sale in Nong Khai where my missus is from. Lucky we live in Australia. 1400b a kilo shit maybe a sheep farm is a good idea

Sorry to disillusion you, but most of Thailand is far too wet for sheep. First, they get footrot, I come from a 24 inch rainfall area in Oz. Footrot happened every year!!. Ever tried to treat footrot? You have to cut the foot back until you draw blood.The stench of the rotting foot is unbelievable.Then ,you force them through a formalin bath. Do they love that?, They Have to "swim " for about 4 metres Enjoy growing sheep in Thailand.Second ,when you get heavy rain ,sheep shit green liquid, due to the grass being so full of water. Next? You have to crutch.Ever crutched a daggy sheep?They stink like hell. Worst job ,I ever had to do. Cutting the daggy wool off their <deleted>. The stench from footrot is bad ,But daggy <deleted> is much worse

This is spot-on . Sheep farming is a very intensive type of farming compared with cattle. This is particularly true of Merino sheep but some breed like Romany Marsh may be better in Thailand as they are more suitable for wetter conditions. But the heat and humidity would stilll make them suffer carrying all that wool around .

My ex wife and i used to run Thai restaurants in Sydney (she still does) and i noticed a move away from beef to lamb quite a few years ago. I am not certian if it was a re-action against Mad Cow disease in the UK but it started around that time , or the Sam Kekovitch Advertisments (Aussies would know the advertisment for the Australia Day eat lamb campaign ) but also there were a few Abbotts and Buddhist teachers advocating a move away from beef to return to a more fundamentalist Hindu / Buddhist philosphy which my wife also adopted and so on the menus of many restaurants, for example, lamb massamun became the norm rather than beef massamun (after all it is originally a muslim dish)..I notice in Thailand , it is difficult to find beef massumun but chicken massamun seems common now. Actually pork and chicken seem to be more perfered than beef in many Thai dishes so perhaps with a growing muslim influence , lamb will also become more popular for Thais .

Just some thoughts on the subject.

My Missus love lamb, first time I cooked it she had no idea what lamb was but enjoyed it immensely which is a pain in the wallet as today is roast day and I was hankering for chicken but she insisted on Lamb, 1400b vs 150b AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but it does smell lush baking away on the BBQ.

Where do you buy it ? there is no lamb for sale in Nong Khai where my missus is from. Lucky we live in Australia. 1400b a kilo shit maybe a sheep farm is a good idea

Makro Pattaya, 1400b for a 2.5kg leg.

Yesterday I purchased at Makro 5 x 2.5kg legs for 925b ea (370b per kg).

It is likely a state of mind. When I was a young boy many of the local farmers had a few sheep and sold wool. When the animals got too old they were butchered and I hated the mutton. It DID stink. That must have stuck in my mind because I still don't like lamb. The odd thing is that I think kid goat is delicious.

I'm not especially adventuresome when trying new dishes and meats. I first had kid goat while in Mexico. On the English menu, it was called cabrito and it was the special of the day. I saw that dish delivered to the table next to ours and it looked good. We also ordered it and it was delicious. After the fact, I found out that it was kid goat cooked on a spit over charcoal. It became my favorite food while in Mexico.

Kid goats are cute and I'd be a little squeamish cooking it myself. I REFUSE to try dogs, rats, afterbirth, bats, bugs or intestines.

My wife loves Lamb, but not Australian lamb.

She said it smells a lot more, I never actually noticed it until she pointed it out and now I think Aussie lamb does smell a lot. So now only eat it if I am in Australia. I love all the other Lamb here.

I bet some of you think that is weird :)

The only food I have seen Thais turn their nose up at is Vegemite.

Other than that its fair game and I've never seen any Thai refuse to eat lamb based on the smell.

Same with the people in my office, never buy because its not sold at the local Big C/Tesco and its too expensive although I'm told its got really expensive back in NZ these days

Edited by gkinbkk

I tried dog while in Hanoi. A plate of deep fried dog cubes and a serving of barbecued dog cut into cubes. It was served with a vile smelling violet sauce condiment. I did not try the violet sauce. I age a cube of each and left. The smell hangs on your body. It was only men in the small cafe and according to my guide, dog meat can only be eaten on certain days in the lunar calendar month in Vietnam. It took a day before I could get rid of the smell. Never again.

Edited by Latis

My ex was the same as the OP. I bought some lamb and she cooked it for me having never had lamb before. She brought the finished meal to me with a look of utter disgust on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she said it stinks and asks if I'm really going to eat it.

I start munching on the lamb making mmm mmm sounds while she looks at me with the kind of face we pull when seeing Thais eat insects for the first time.

I then started waving a bit at her to get her to eat it. She reacted as if I'd asked to eat dog crap so I went back to enjoying it by myself.

I kept asking her to try a bit and she kept refusing but after a while, watching me enjoy it so much (I hadn't had lamb for years and always loved it), she eventually tried a piece.

One of the biggest mistakes of my life persuading her to eat that piece of lamb. Possibly one of the most expensive mistakes I've ever made.

From that moment on she wanted to eat lamb at every meal. My food bills shot up four fold and more. Every western restaurant we went to she ordered the lamb chops which were usually the most expensive thing on the menu. I'd ask her what she wanted to eat and the answer was always, "Lamb!"

Advice to all of you out there, for the sake of your wallet, continue to let your Thai SO think you're eating filth and enjoy the lamb on your own.

• Like 1

My ex was the same as the OP. I bought some lamb and she cooked it for me having never had lamb before. She brought the finished meal to me with a look of utter disgust on her face. I asked her what was wrong and she said it stinks and asks if I'm really going to eat it.

I start munching on the lamb making mmm mmm sounds while she looks at me with the kind of face we pull when seeing Thais eat insects for the first time.

I then started waving a bit at her to get her to eat it. She reacted as if I'd asked to eat dog crap so I went back to enjoying it by myself.

I kept asking her to try a bit and she kept refusing but after a while, watching me enjoy it so much (I hadn't had lamb for years and always loved it), she eventually tried a piece.

One of the biggest mistakes of my life persuading her to eat that piece of lamb. Possibly one of the most expensive mistakes I've ever made.

From that moment on she wanted to eat lamb at every meal. My food bills shot up four fold and more. Every western restaurant we went to she ordered the lamb chops which were usually the most expensive thing on the menu. I'd ask her what she wanted to eat and the answer was always, "Lamb!"

Advice to all of you out there, for the sake of your wallet, continue to let your Thai SO think you're eating filth and enjoy the lamb on your own.

Funny story! :)

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

That is truly a disgraceful, hateful act.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Patrick

Well Patrick, I am Australian and I love my Lamb and I dont want to spend the rest of my days without my Lamb, I knew that my wife would love lamb too if I cooked her a spicy lamb stew.... BAAAAA BAAAA BAAAA

Patrick I disagree with you what I did was not in any way disgraceful, hateful or perverse. I think it was a wise thing to do and I hope the rest of you think so too!

Disgraceful - how would you feel if she started feeding you something (dog for example)pretending it was something else.

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

That is truly a disgraceful, hateful act.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Patrick

Well Patrick, I am Australian and I love my Lamb and I dont want to spend the rest of my days without my Lamb, I knew that my wife would love lamb too if I cooked her a spicy lamb stew.... BAAAAA BAAAA BAAAA

Patrick I disagree with you what I did was not in any way disgraceful, hateful or perverse. I think it was a wise thing to do and I hope the rest of you think so too!

Disgraceful - how would you feel if she started feeding you something (dog for example)pretending it was something else.

It feels good shes done it to me many times (not dog though) i love to try exotic asian food and she loves to experience western food. We cook for eachother every day and its our policy to eat first and ask questions later. I ate ant eggs once it taste good after she told me what it was I realy felt good about it. thanks for your concern.