Why Thais Wont Eat Lamb?

henleyd

Do you know a Thai person that eats lamb ?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

That is truly a disgraceful, hateful act.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Patrick

Feel better now?coffee1.gif

I tried Lamb a couple of times and never liked it, It was smelly, greasy, and not to my taste, back home we ate 'cabrito' "young goat"cooked in an underground pit which I enjoyed very much.

No Thai's that I know or have known have ever expressed a desire to taste lamb, the subject never came up in our food discussions in the 10 years I have been in Thailand.

There are a number of Thai males that eat beef, some of my village neighbors dislike the smell of beef.

I think most of it is an acquired taste, which every ethnic group have for their types of food which their mothers cooked for them when they were young. When I lived in Hawaii the local delicacies was "poi" which I tasted and found to be tasteless to me.

We raise rabbits, which many Thais are not into eating, they are considered pets in Thailand and we get the same reaction as we do about Thais eating their native food.

But to each his own!

Cheers::)

Edited by kikoman

Why on earth would you deliberately lie to your wife to make her eat something you knew was anathema to her?

That is truly a disgraceful, hateful act.

She has her beliefs, rules, whatever, and if you love her you should accept them unreservedly - not deceive her into accepting your own ways for your own perverse desire for domination or "I know best".

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who does what you did - regardless of the eventual outcome.

Patrick

I actually found his statement hilarious ! is it not just the same as getting used to and developinbg the taste buds. ie i didnt eat smelly cheese till a couple of years back fro the exact reasons thsis mention about lamb, but love it now. you need to relax and not be so serious...

food problems:

thai hubby gets offerred lamb since in israel, lamb is an expensive meat for holidays both among arab muslems and jews from n.african areas(morrocans kurdistan, yemen etc)....

i ate my own lambs and kid goats BUT only the males since that of course is their purpose in life; the females are kept for breeding and milk purposes. kid, like lamb, must be eaten before getting to about 8 months (or younger if a boer goat) before their hormones of 'maleness' kick in and they start peeing on themselves adn stinking.i never ate my animals if they had names other then the ones named as food: steakbone, t bone, makluba (goat dish) etc...

yesterday at a christian hong kong family's rosh hashana (jewish new year) dinner, we had the ultimate non kosher meal: shrimp crabs beef, and lamb sukiyaki style.

hubby refused the lamb.

as for forcing someone to eat what they dont want to eat: son keeps kosher, we have the entire refrigerator filled with wild boar and calamari (one killed during culling, the other bought at great expense in the arab section of tel aviv port)... son asks what the meat is in any given meal: hubby tells him. hubby never lies to him. youngest only eats chicken. same same. no reason to lie to someone for getting them over their beliefs. best friend is a morrocan jew from religious family; only recently she tasted pork in our house, with her knowlege. now she is a major consumer. she also doenst lie to her family that she eats pork. we provide plastic utensils etc for those that come to our house and want kosher: and buy canned/frozen stuff if needed for same. it is a matter of respect for others not to force your likes/dislikes/beliefs on others. u can offer each time; maybe one time they will except.!

although gazelle is kosher, most israelis wont eat it as it is not on the usual 'things u eat' list although i have eaten gazelle and found it delicious; most people eat what htey are used to from home, what their mother cooked, or waht most people eat; the same reason why although i dont keep kosher, i cannot drink a glass of milk with meat. its disgusting. and frankly, i prefer goat milk to cows milk after raising goats for 10 years adn drinking straight from their teats. cow milk smells sour.

bina

Most of what we don't eat is in our heads. If we didn't know what it was, we would probably like it.

I went to a friends house for dinner once, and she made pot roast. it was delicious, and my ex-wife and I were stuffing ourselves when I innocently asked where the pet cow was. I hadn't seen the cow when I came in, and I usually went up to her where she would lick my hand. My friend's husband smiled and pointed at my plate.

I almost threw up and could not eat another bite.Stupid, yes, as I do eat beef, but my heart overcame my brain, taste buds, and stomach.

Plenty of Thais do eat and will try lamb......I cooked a whole lamb on a spit at a thai do recently and the whole thing disappeared very quickly.....lucky I sliced off chunks to test it as it cooked so was full by the time it was ready....or woulda got zip.

• 2 weeks later...

My Thai man loves to eat lamb, which he had tried in Thailand when he worked in a restaurant, long before he met me. If given a chance here in Australia he would have steak one night and roast lamb the next. Needless to say I'm in control of the budget and that ain't happening!

• 1 month later...

if you know why Thais don't eat abalone and sharkfins, then you will know why they don't eat sheep

What tosh - seen my thai family eat sharkfins and abalone with relish.

They dont eat abalone as there are no abalone in Thailand the average Thai wont pay 5000 brt a kilo

if you know why Thais don't eat abalone and sharkfins, then you will know why they don't eat sheep

They dont eat abalone as there are no abalone in Thailand the average Thai wont pay 5000 brt a kilo

money money money

• 1 year later...
..don't know why you would want to trick anyone into eating something they don't like..?

My wife won't eat lot's of stuff even Thai "normals".. she is actually allergic to beef..

Once we ate hotdogs on the beach in Canada.. stupid me ...I did not notice the big sign on the cart saying "pure beef" ...poor girl was kneeling on a log throwing up..probably did not help the poor vendors sales that evening... :rolleyes:

I think Muslims must eat goat (see 'em all over the place down here..goats that is)? Never tried it or seen it for sale but maybe similar to lamb??

try Nigeria..... near Choba outside of Port Harcourt you can actually purchase human flesh... not tried it or even wanted to but was amazed that female was more expensive than male

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

My wife she love lamb,

she tasted for the first time here in Europe about 7 years ago, she likes from the start, expecially chops, expecially if crispy (roasted or panfried or grilled). Is not a meat we use to eat weekly, but when we have the opportunity she likes a lot.

She don't like beef so much, but she can eat also if not her favourite...

wai2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

When I first came here I decided to try everything, if only a bite.I got through dog, rat, frog, many different insects,grubs and snails and even shit soup. (yes, shit soup, it exists and I quite liked it), I drew the line at eating placenta. There are many Europeans that decide they can't eat seafood for example, I know a guy that only eats meat and potatoes.

I have been confronted various times by Thais refusing to even try stuff, ginger is too sharp for them, wine is sour (apparently only drinkable after adding ice and a few spoons of sugar -not a cheap wine either).

I like most Thai food but there are plenty of Farangs here that insist on their western food every day. Why? What you like and don't like seems to be learnt at your mother's table and most people are stuck with it.

Asked the g/f what she wanted to eat for dinner Sunday, and without hesitation, she asked for Mongolian Lamb. She loves lamb in any form. As she won't eat beef, is allergic to shellfish, and is not overly fond of chicken, it is nice to have something she likes other than pork.

As an side, she loves balsamic vinegar and will drink it right out of the bottle. Only the good stuff, though. I bought a four liter jug of it, but she won't drink that, only the 3 or 5-year aged balsamico in the small bottle (she is not that fond of the 15-year though, than goodness!)

• Like 1

..don't know why you would want to trick anyone into eating something they don't like..?

My wife won't eat lot's of stuff even Thai "normals".. she is actually allergic to beef..

Once we ate hotdogs on the beach in Canada.. stupid me ...I did not notice the big sign on the cart saying "pure beef" ...poor girl was kneeling on a log throwing up..probably did not help the poor vendors sales that evening... rolleyes.gif

I think Muslims must eat goat (see 'em all over the place down here..goats that is)? Never tried it or seen it for sale but maybe similar to lamb??

try Nigeria..... near Choba outside of Port Harcourt you can actually purchase human flesh... not tried it or even wanted to but was amazed that female was more expensive than male

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Male meat smells of wee wee.

• 2 weeks later...

Without reading the whole thread my wife loves lamb! She didnt eat it before coming to Australia but now loves it. Main reason for her not eating it in Thailand was there wasnt any easily accessable