The Bear Pit - And New Forum Rules

Guest IT Manager

Why stop at Lese Majeste?

I think all Forum admissions of unlawful behaviour should be reported to the Thai Police.

So, if you were planning on starting a topic about ....

How you had fornicatory intercopulations with a prostitute (prostitution being illegal)

How you overstayed your visa..(overstaying being illegal)

How you smoked "pot"..(drugs being illegal)

How you bought an Elite Card for 1m using your Mum's address when as an Expat you really should have paid 2m. ....

Then you deserve to be reported and gaoled, you ill-bred criminal.

I might visit you and bring you a cake containing a file....

...but then again I may not.

Why stop at Lese Majeste?

I'm happy to stop at that one and to report if need be.

But then you are doing more than just reporting and since you are not the police you have no legal rights to do so. Actually you could be sued to oblivion for doing this. Disclosing personal info is illegal in many countries, even for things over the Internet, and that includes disclosing IP addresses to third party.

And for what justification exactly ? none, except for the ego trip

IF you were in Thailand you MIGHT understand the situation. As you are not, butt out. Stick to yankee bashing, that seems to be your thing. SUE ME :D Your knowledge of International lae is equal to your political nouse.

are you an International lawyer too ? I don't think so

And your server is not even hosted in Thailand ? do you know what juridiction means in "lawyer" speak ?

I still think this is an ego trip, nobody is forcing you to disclose those info to Thai authorities. It's not because Admins lives in Thailand, that they have a duty to report things that don't happen "physically" in Thailand :o

Majan 24 ,you missed my point.Hipocracy ,inaccountability,elitism those are the fundamental concepts I was commenting.I wonder Dr.P does that comment of mine come close to getting me suspended from your form?DrP people in glass houses shouldn't through stones ,regarding your arguement about international law with butterfly,,, you still under the notion that the Queen of england is Canadas head of state because the all knowing ggggoooogle say's it's so!!!!!!! :o:D

Overall, these rules seem fair enough to me.

One poster questions why the thread is restricted to Thailand-specific comments. That's easy to answer: the fine folks at Thaivisa.com -- none of whom I know personally (nor do I have any formal association with Thaivisa.com) -- make it convenient to start a new thread. So, if people want a thread discussing things taking place elsewhere, I suppose the Admins would allow that.

I am *not* a lawyer, but I would like to comment on applicability of Thai laws to the Internet. One of my best friends here *is* a lawyer whose firm specialize in intellectual property right cases. He has told me that his firm (and others) have successfully prosecuted people and companies for intellectual property right violations on the Internet, when the violator committed the offense from within Thailand -- and without regard to where the website containing the illegally displayed information is hosted. But even in the case of a user being in one jurisdiction and the hosting service in another, both of them outside Thailand, there are often legal remedies that can be sought in one of the other or both of those places. WHile that is civil law, not criminal law, presumably there is a parallel in criminal law. On my own website I often address political issues, but I do try to stay within the confines of Thai law to the best of my knowledge. Even if I didn't live here full-time, there would be few, if any, instances when I would feel compelled to go beyond those bounds anyway.

One suggestion to the Admins regarding the criticizing of anyone, not just politicians: IF an allegation is demonstrably true, then it is not a legal offense, so such instances needn't be of concern. Also, if a poster merely reports what, say, a local newspaper has said (without himself opining), there is no legal offense. And that I ran past my local attorney to make completely sure I can cite local media sources without violating Thai law; he toldme not to worry in such an instancve, then he polled a number of attorneys he knows specializing in appropriate areas, and all of them agreed with his take. (But run it past your own counsel to be sure.)

I really hope this thread can take off and succeed. Good luck with it!

6. Members may not make personal attacks on any member of the Royal Thai Government or The Opposition.

Are you kidding? This is a forum. There is far too little published critique of politicians in Thailand and it is supposed to be a democratic country with freedom of speech. The fact is that the media in Thailand - broadcast and published - has been increasingly brought under the control of the ruling party. This IS a dangerous move in the wrong direction and forums like this one should give the people a chance to voice their opinions without fear of being knocked about or knocked off. For example, if the Prime Minister makes a personal comment, expresses his views on a matter, and this is recorded and published, under your Clause 6 will we not be allowed to post a critique of what he said, using His name???

I agree with your other Clauses, but #6 stinks. And I've lived in Thailand for 10 years.

Guest IT Manager

I disagree. I said the critique of policy is fine and encouraged. Critique of the person "so and so is a complete <deleted> for saying etc.." for example, is counter productive.

However, "The new rule regarding (whatever) demonstrates no forethought on the part of the Government, because.." is quite fine. :o

Majan 24 ,you missed my point.Hipocracy ,inaccountability,elitism those are the fundamental concepts I was commenting.

Shemmy - your point was noted but as I said before name a country where the above does not apply! :D

There are +s & -s in all countries and i can honestly say that in Australia we have many good things (+s) and a few not so good things (-s) a major (-) being "the lack of a resident figurehead who is respected for the compassion and goodness they display".

Regards from

Mijan24 :o

6. Members may not make personal attacks on any member of the Royal Thai Government or The Opposition.

Are you kidding?  This is a forum.  There is far too little published critique of politicians in Thailand and it is supposed to be a democratic country with freedom of speech.  The fact is that the media in Thailand - broadcast and published - has been increasingly brought under the control of the ruling party.  This IS a dangerous move in the wrong direction and forums like this one should give the people a chance to voice their opinions without fear of being knocked about or knocked off.  For example, if the Prime Minister makes a personal comment, expresses his views on a matter, and this is recorded and published, under your Clause 6 will we not be allowed to post a critique of what he said, using His name???

I agree with your other Clauses, but #6 stinks.  And I've lived in Thailand for 10 years.

Ahh, but some of y'all tend to ferget that Thailand is NOT the good 'ol USA or the UK where individuals have "Freedom Of Speech". It's their Country and they make the rules. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

Chill out and, as Jackson Browne said, "Be a Happy Idiot and Struggle for the Legal Tender".

Happy Martin Luther King Day! :o

• 2 weeks later...

:o

Here I am in my little village with no one to talk with about things I care about. screaming abuse at Cnn and BBC. The need to debrief is great. My dream is to go to Palestine and throw rocks at tanks but my throwing arm isn't so good anymore. I'm now thinking of taking up a collection to send sacks of rocks to the freedom fighters of palestine. just send your donations to me at this address.

I've enjoyed the past couple of days writing and reading of international politics. Since having this PC this is the first time I've been able to find any place to do this. I'm grateful to be able to do this and would be very hurt if you decide to turn me off.

Lots of Love and peace brown rice and bullshoot to you all.

Joe strawberry

:o

Here I am in my little village with no one to talk with about things I care about. screaming abuse at Cnn and BBC. The need to debrief is great.....

strawberry, go on. I like your posts bringing some fresh air in here.

New ideas, well researched. Stick to it and don't be afraid of some guys flaming you.

That would just be an acknowlegement that you are right. Problem is, some people don't have the grace to admit to other's opinion.

• 1 month later...
My dream is to go to Palestine and throw rocks at tanks but my throwing arm isn't so good anymore. I'm now thinking of taking up a collection to send sacks of rocks to the freedom fighters of palestine
undefined

Possible Alternative - send the rocks direct by Air-Mail to whoever your target is ? ! :o a