Trains, Planes & Automobiles - Getting to and from Hua Hin

cdnvic

Could you people in the know out there please give us the info we need to make a mini directory of ways and means to get to this part of the country? Mostly looking at how to get to Hua Hin from BKK and the airport.

Thanks

cv

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To my knowledge, there are four ways of reaching Hua Hin from Bangkok. They are, in order of speed:

1)- By Plane: SGA Airlines operates a shuttle flight between Bangkok's Don Muang Airport and Hua Hin's small airport. They use Cessna 208B Caravan aircraft, with capacity for 12 passengers. Flying time is 30 minutes and there are 4 flights each way each day.

2)- By car/taxi: You can rent a car (best rent one with driver -- cheaper and safer) or just take a taxi. As of December 2004, the cost was less than 2,000 baht. Approximate journey time: 2½ hours.

3)- By bus: Air-conditioned buses leave Bangkok's Southern Bus Terminal every 30 minutes between 05.00 and 22.00. Buses leave for Bangkok every 30-40 minutes between 03.00 and 21.00. Approximate journey time: 3 hours. There is also a minibus service that links Hua Hin with downtown Bangkok, convenient for the Victory Monument Skytrain station. Cost (in 2005) 130 baht.

4)- By train: There are several trains between Bangkok and Hua Hin each day, although most train leave in the late afternoon and can get rather crowded, especially northbound. Due to there being only a single track for much of the route, the journey takes more than 4 hours. For information about trains between Bangkok and Hua Hin, visit http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/N_S.html.

Hope that's helpful! :o

Could you people in the know out there please give us the info we need to make a mini directory of ways and means to get to this part of the country? Mostly looking at how to get to Hua Hin from BKK and the airport.

Thanks

cv

To my knowledge, there are four ways of reaching Hua Hin from Bangkok. They are, in order of speed:

1)- By Plane: SGA Airlines operates a shuttle flight between Bangkok's Don Muang Airport and Hua Hin's small airport. They use Cessna 208B Caravan aircraft, with capacity for 12 passengers. Flying time is 30 minutes and there are 4 flights each way each day.

2)- By car/taxi: You can rent a car (best rent one with driver -- cheaper and safer) or just take a taxi. As of December 2004, the cost was less than 2,000 baht. Approximate journey time: 2½ hours.

3)- By bus: Air-conditioned buses leave Bangkok's Southern Bus Terminal every 30 minutes between 05.00 and 22.00. Buses leave for Bangkok every 30-40 minutes between 03.00 and 21.00. Approximate journey time: 3 hours. There is also a minibus service that links Hua Hin with downtown Bangkok, convenient for the Victory Monument Skytrain station. Cost (in 2005) 130 baht.

4)- By train: There are several trains between Bangkok and Hua Hin each day, although most train leave in the late afternoon and can get rather crowded, especially northbound. Due to there being only a single track for much of the route, the journey takes more than 4 hours. For information about trains between Bangkok and Hua Hin, visit http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/N_S.html.

Hope that's helpful! :o

Thanks

cv

If you are already in BKK the best, fastest, cheapest and most convenient way is from Victory Monument - getting to the southern bus terminal is a pain.

Information is updated as follows:

Cost is now 160 baht. A/C Minibuses leave every 20-30 minutes from Victory Monument.

Take the skytrain to Victory Monument stop. Exit and stay to the left. You will walk along an elevated walkway for a few minutes that will bring you down into an area of market stalls and shops. You will see a hospital across the road to your left.

Go between the shops/stalls and come out on to a sidewalk in a small road. You will see a line of minivans. Across the road in front of a metal fence you will see guys sitting at small tables, ask anyone of them for HuaHin (Wah Hin) they will point to the right table.

Buy the ticket (the seller will point to the correct bus) and go back across the road.

Best seat (IMO) is behind the driver. Takes about 2.5 hours depending on traffic and/or weather.

• 3 weeks later...

If you catch the mini-bus at Victory Monument, will it stop in Cha Am or is there a specific mini-bus to Cha Am? I am headed for a friend's condo which is near the Cha Am Regent. I usually take the air-con bus to Cha Am and a motorcycle taxi from there to the condo. I thought I'd give the mini-bus a try, but only if I can get one to Cha Am rather than Hua Hin.

If you catch the mini-bus at Victory Monument,  will it stop in Cha Am or is there a specific mini-bus to Cha Am? I am headed for a friend's condo which is near the Cha Am Regent. I usually take the air-con bus to Cha Am and a motorcycle taxi from there to the condo. I thought I'd give the mini-bus a try, but only if I can get one to Cha Am rather than Hua Hin.

It will stop, it turns onto a soi kind of in the middle of CA, just off the highway but can't remember exactly where as I wasn't paying close attention.

Say Cha Am when buying your ticket, it may be a few baht cheaper(?) or just tell the driver.

People get off and on at various points along the route.

It will stop, it turns onto a soi kind of in the middle of CA, just off the highway but can't remember exactly where as I wasn't paying close attention.

Say Cha Am when buying your ticket, it may be a few baht cheaper(?) or just tell the driver.

People get off and on at various points along the route.

Thanks. Appreciate the reply.

Cha Am costs 120B from the Victory Monument.

It stops at the office on Ratchaplee road in Cha Am or sometimes on the main road opposite the 7-11.

There are always moto boys to hand.

As mentioned make sure you stress you are going to Cha Am.

Getting the minibus back can sometimes be a pain from Cha Am as the can often be full in Hua Hin but if you call into the office a few hours in advance or better still the day before, there is usually no problem.

Cha Am costs 120B from the Victory Monument.

It stops at the office on Ratchaplee road in Cha Am or sometimes on the main road opposite the 7-11.

There are always moto boys to hand.

As mentioned make sure you stress you are going to Cha Am.

Getting the minibus back can sometimes be a pain from Cha Am as the can often be full in Hua Hin but if you call into the office a few hours in advance or better still the day before, there is usually no problem.

Last trip in October we left HH with 2 or 3 seats vacant then the driver took a couple of calls on his phone while underway. Shortly after each one he picked someone up so I think there is some sort of pre-booking system for those not at the HH terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you charter minivans to HH from the airport like you can to Pattaya? If so, how much?

Cheers

I think you can, at the queue outside the airport. I had an enterprising female chauffer offer to take me to Hua Hin in her large Suburban, but she wanted about 5,000 baht. Instead, I took a regular size taxi for 2,000 baht, directly to my door.

• 2 months later...

I should add a warning for anyone wanting to catch the mini bus from Cha-Am to Lavittee ( where it terminates in Bangkok ). I may have put on a little weight since last I travelled by this means. But not enough to be charged for 2 seats as the girl wanted last week !!! She herself is a little on the plump side and has a reputation for being a bad 'un. She also ripped off a Thai friend of mine for the change out of 500 bht.

I should add a warning for anyone wanting to catch the mini bus from Cha-Am to Lavittee ( where it terminates in Bangkok ). I may have put on a little weight since last I travelled by this means. But not enough to be charged for 2 seats as the girl wanted last week !!! She herself is a little on the plump side and has a reputation for being a bad 'un. She also ripped off a Thai friend of mine for the change out of 500 bht.

Most helpful.

There are xx many mini-buses on the BKK-CA-HH run.

Excellent description of the woman in question.

Perhaps you should have added she has dark hair and dark eyes.

We'll certainly be on the lookout for her reputation.

Just make sure to ask everybody in the mini-van queue which woman has the bad reputation.

• 1 month later...

May I add for those who ask about the Pattaya to Hua Hin run, that there are now buses which run from Pattaya to the Southern Bus Terminal in BKK thus cutting out the annoying and time consuming cross BKK slog from Ekkamai or Moh Chit.

This route has now made this trip a lot more feasible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Can you charter minivans to HH from the airport like you can to Pattaya? If so, how much?

Cheers

I think you can, at the queue outside the airport. I had an enterprising female chauffer offer to take me to Hua Hin in her large Suburban, but she wanted about 5,000 baht. Instead, I took a regular size taxi for 2,000 baht, directly to my door.

I am landing in Suvarnabhumi around 21:00 on Friday night, can I still get a taxi to Hua Hin around this time and for how much?

I noted sawadee.com now offers transfer booking service (online), at THB 3250 for Suvarnabhumi-Hua Hin, has anyone tried it and is the price reasonable? (for a guaranteed pickup and transfer)

thanks!!

Another option, the luxurious Limo type Mini Bus service from the Dusit Hotel, leaves Bangkok at 3pm from the Hotel and drops you off at the Dusit in Hua Hin, travel in luxury (for a mini bus) with full reclining seats, free water and a cold fridge offering drinks, driver wearing a poncy uniform but driving safely!!! Book 24 hours in advance, 600 baht, the return trip leaves the Dusit at 11.15am

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The minivans at "Victory Monument" no longer sit in front of the Rajiviti Hospital, but are on the other side of Victory Monument, in the parking lot of the ------------------ Center. Forgot the name, can someone fill in the blank, please?

The cost is now 190 baht. The terminal in Hua Hin is hard to describe or find, but right off of Petchakasem, near the Esso station and across from it, about five blocks north of the town center, in what looks like a bombed out building.

• 3 months later...
The minivans at "Victory Monument" no longer sit in front of the Rajiviti Hospital, but are on the other side of Victory Monument, in the parking lot of the ------------------ Center. Forgot the name, can someone fill in the blank, please?

The cost is now 190 baht. The terminal in Hua Hin is hard to describe or find, but right off of Petchakasem, near the Esso station and across from it, about five blocks north of the town center, in what looks like a bombed out building.

Hi PeaceBlondie and anybody else who can help on this thread,

I'm heading to Hua Hin next Monday and have to send some directions to a friend who doesn't speak Thai. Do you have any updates on the exact location from which to take the minibus from Victory Monument?

I'll leave from Pattaya. Do you think it would be easier and quicker to just take a bus direct to the southern terminal and then to Hua Hin or do the Victory Monument route instead?

Thanks in advance :o

• 11 months later...
I am very interested in transport to and from Hua Hin also

I have been avoiding the centre of Bangkok all together and taken the bus from the south terminal called Mai Sai Tai - I think

I got there directly from Pattaya. I don't know how easily reacheable it is from other areas.

Once arrived in Hua Hin I got off at the talaad (market) and looked for accommodation around there. I also got the bus back from there.

I am looking to get a taxi from Bangkok to Cha Am early Saturday morning. It seems like that'll cost about 2000 baht, which is fine. But how about getting back on Sunday eve? Is it easy enough to find a taxi to drive up to BK, and will it cost about the same?

Cheers fo any help.

PS, there are two of us, plus a (sometimes noisy) toddler, so a taxi is preferable to a minivan.

I am looking to get a taxi from Bangkok to Cha Am early Saturday morning. It seems like that'll cost about 2000 baht, which is fine. But how about getting back on Sunday eve? Is it easy enough to find a taxi to drive up to BK, and will it cost about the same?

Cheers fo any help.

PS, there are two of us, plus a (sometimes noisy) toddler, so a taxi is preferable to a minivan.

yes very easy to get taxi from hua hin to bkk, outside the post office is a stall which does taxis for 1600 or 1800 baht.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll leave from Pattaya. Do you think it would be easier and quicker to just take a bus direct to the southern terminal and then to Hua Hin or do the Victory Monument route instead?

I was told that the Pattaya-Southern bus goes at 0800, 0900, 1000, 1200, 1300 (none at 1100), so then you could catch the Southern-HH Bus from there. Anyone done this? What is total time? Is this the best way?

I was told that the Pattaya-Southern bus goes at 0800, 0900, 1000, 1200, 1300 (none at 1100), so then you could catch the Southern-HH Bus from there. Anyone done this? What is total time? Is this the best way?

I have gone to Hua Hin by bus from Pattaya via the southern terminal mai sai tai (or something that sounds like that..) twice now and I would do it again. I think that the second part of the journey should have taken about 3 & a half/4 & a half hours.

It wasn't too bad connectionwise, though, I can't tell you the exact frequency of the service, probably similar to the one in Pattaya. One piece of advice: avoid travelling mid-afternoon early evening or you'll spend the last leg of your journey on the bus wanting to go to the toilet/getting there quite late..

Archived