Trains, Planes & Automobiles - Getting to and from Hua Hin

cdnvic

The minivans at "Victory Monument" no longer sit in front of the Rajiviti Hospital, but are on the other side of Victory Monument, in the parking lot of the ------------------ Center. Forgot the name, can someone fill in the blank, please?

The cost is now 190 baht. The terminal in Hua Hin is hard to describe or find, but right off of Petchakasem, near the Esso station and across from it, about five blocks north of the town center, in what looks like a bombed out building.

Hi PeaceBlondie and anybody else who can help on this thread,

I'm heading to Hua Hin next Monday and have to send some directions to a friend who doesn't speak Thai. Do you have any updates on the exact location from which to take the minibus from Victory Monument?

The mall is called "Century the Movie Place". Here is a map of the new location, as well as 2 pictures taken from above (on the BTS platform).

post-8142-1237304532_thumb.jpg post-8142-1237304638_thumb.jpg post-8142-1237304648_thumb.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard there is a direct VIP bus, Hua Hin to Chiang Mai. Where would we catch it in HHin?

There is a new(ish) private bus station on the main road (Petchkasem) in Hua Hin where buses leave from and go directly to larger cities both in the north and in Issan. It is on the west (right) side of the road coming from center of town headed south. It's past the Market Village Shopping Mall but before the big "s" flyover where the highway goes over the railroad tracks.

Thanks hhfarang. We will be staying at Kao Takiab and will find that bus terminal.

I hate to do it like this, but we are leaving Wedn. evening, all night on the bus. After 24 hours in BKK, we take taxi from lower Silom to Victory Monument to catch the minibus. I figure that is easier than finding the new Southern Bus terminal. We will have two Thai speakers, but some of the taxi drivers speak Lao/Khmer or something.

• 3 weeks later...

As most of you know, the situation in BKK is getting out of hand, supposedly taxi's are blocking roads around Victory Monument. So getting there and taking a minibus to Hua Hin is out of the question for me. I will be flying in BKK on the morning 17th of April and plan to go to Hua Hin directly.

Can someone tell me about how much a taxi costs these days to Hua Hin?

What is the price of the flight to Hua Hin?

I don't suppose there is a bus that directly goes to Hua Hin from the airport?

Maybe the situation in BKK will calm down by the 17th, im hoping for that, but just in case, I'd appreciate any help!

Regards,

Martin

As most of you know, the situation in BKK is getting out of hand, supposedly taxi's are blocking roads around Victory Monument. So getting there and taking a minibus to Hua Hin is out of the question for me. I will be flying in BKK on the morning 17th of April and plan to go to Hua Hin directly.

Maybe the situation in BKK will calm down by the 17th, im hoping for that, but just in case, I'd appreciate any help!

Regards,

Martin

The last person I know that took a taxi from the BKK airport paid around 2200 baht, but that was over a year ago so it may be more (or less because the highway is better) now.

Flights to Hua Hin have been stopped.

I don't know of any bus to Hua Hin other than one from the Southern Bus terminal and the aforementioned mini vans from Victory Monument.

• 11 months later...
I'll leave from Pattaya. Do you think it would be easier and quicker to just take a bus direct to the southern terminal and then to Hua Hin or do the Victory Monument route instead?

I was told that the Pattaya-Southern bus goes at 0800, 0900, 1000, 1200, 1300 (none at 1100), so then you could catch the Southern-HH Bus from there. Anyone done this? What is total time? Is this the best way?

An update on the Pattaya to Bangkok Southern Bus terminal schedule. This is from the March 2010 issue of Pattaya Trader:

post-33251-1269173818_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I took the train in January, and can't recall the departure time, but it was a non-air conditioned train. If possible, I would recommend taking second (or first) class in an air conditioned train. Mine was brutally hot and when the train went past recently burnt sugar cane fields, the smell was outstanding.

If you've never taken a train in Thailand, they generally are the slowest means of transportation -- cars, buses, vans are faster. But, if you're like me, and have a sentimental fondness for rail travel, they scratch the itch.

I took the train in January, and can't recall the departure time, but it was a non-air conditioned train. If possible, I would recommend taking second (or first) class in an air conditioned train. Mine was brutally hot and when the train went past recently burnt sugar cane fields, the smell was outstanding.

If you've never taken a train in Thailand, they generally are the slowest means of transportation -- cars, buses, vans are faster. But, if you're like me, and have a sentimental fondness for rail travel, they scratch the itch.

Thanks for the tip, we are looking at the aircon for sure. Like the train and sure my son will get a kick out of it. Maybe a bit slower than driving but during Songkran???

Cheers

With the current situation with the red shirts, are the mini vans and buses still going to Hua Hin? I have reservations for Monday 12th and would like to be able to plan transportation. What is the current price for a mini van trip? Thanks.

• 9 months later...

This info is not specific to Hua Hin, but if you want to take a bus from the Southern Bus Terminal to anywhere, and economy is a consideration, you should factor in the taxi fare to the SBT. From Sukhumvit it's about B300. I found earlier in the year that it was far better to take a taxi to Khao San Rd and take a mini bus from there to Kanchanaburi rather than a taxi to the SBT and regular aircon bus from there. Sure, the regular bus is about half what you pay for a minibus, but the mini is more comfortable, faster, and a lot cheaper overall. Additionally, the mini drops off in the hotel area of K'buri rather than the terminal. Walk to your hotel rather than be hassled by the pedal boys.

Regards,

Martin

This will be of no use to you doczenith, but someone else may gain benefit from it.

You can take a shuttle bus from Suvarnabhumi airport to the Transport Centre near the airport. Take a bus from there to the Southern Bus Terminal and aircon and normal buses leave from there for Hua Hin regularly. Can't remember the fare but it's cheap to do. A taxi from the airport to SBT would be in the region of B600. The bus from the transport centre is only about B30 if I recall correctly, and the aircon bus from SBT to HH is about B90.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

From airport follow to Dao Kanong

from Dao Kanong follow to Bang Kae

passing the city you have to cross the Rama 9 bridge (have the huge Kasikorn Bank Building on the right)

from Bang Kae follow to Samut Sakhon

from Samut Sakhon follow to Samut Sonkram

from Samut Sonkram follow to Phetchaburi

then to Cha Am

then to Hua Hin

you will drive on number 4 mostly of the way.

wai.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks Ciocco, this sounds easier than I thought ermm.gif

One more question if you dont mind...if there is serious flooding like last year, does this route get particularly congested with people exiting the city?

Easier will be depending on the traffic, sometime could be terrible... rolleyes.gif

Am not able to answer the second part of your question, not being there on that particular moments... but it's one of the most important traffic line of the country, am sure they will do the best to keep it safe and open...

thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

Just came back from a van trip to Hua Hin...

Took the van service that loads at the Century Movie Complex mall parking lot at Victory Monument. 180 baht to HH or 160 baht to Cha-Am. Van stops in Cha-Am and then on to HH, where it ends at Soi 57, just a block off Petchkasem Road.

Took a different company van service for the return trip... Loads at the Grand Pavilion Hotel on Petchkasem Road across from the Tesco mini store near Soi 53. Same 180 baht pricing, or 160 baht if loading at Cha-Am... That company has its BKK ticketing table on the small soi alongside Rajivithi Hospital near Victory Monument, and lets passengers off in that same soi.

Both trips ran about 3 hours for the BKK-HH route at non-rush hour times. Both van drivers were reasonably sane and not excessively speeding. And interestingly, both vans had visible seat belts on all the seats... And I actually wore them on both trips, although I was the only one on both vans that seemed to be doing so.

Both companies seemed to have departing vans about every half hour, at least until 8 pm or so in the evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has anyone taken the new bus from the airport to Cha Am?

I'm not familiar with the area to be honest (mostly know Chiang Mai), and was planning initally on heading down to the victory monument to try and catch a minibus.

I checked the link posted, and the travel service (Bell) states the drop off point as Bus Stop in front of Bangkok Bank at Cha-am Intersection.and i was wondering if this is actually in or near cha am?

As long as its near i should be fine, just wanted to make sure before i book a ticket it wont be miles and miles off!!

I don't know that exact location, but Cha-Am itself is pretty small, so it's likely in the center of the town along the main highway.

However, just fyi, the main highway is probably about a 10 minute walk inland from the beach... So it depends on where you're headed after arriving. But it's also easy to get a motorcycle taxi from the highway to anywhere local you want to go.

Cha-Am does have a bus station/stopping point that is only a couple of hundred meters from the beach; in fact the nickname of the soi is "Soi Bus Station", but I don't know if that is where this particular bus will stop. You would have to contact the company.

In front of the Bangkok Bank, means I think at the busstop at the Petchkasem High way, just a hundred meter from the traffic light, corner Narathip Rd, the road that brings you to the beach. plenty motorcycle taxis at the busstop who will bring you to the beach for about 40-50 baht

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

My wife and I are heading to Hua-Hin tomorrow, and seeing all the recent accidents have decided to try the train, we were told when my wife called the Thailand Trains booking that the only train is from 09am and its free for 3rd class, i dont mind paying for air-con but is this the only train leaving in the AM?. Does anyone know itf its true and how long does it actually take?

Thank you in advance,

James.

Archived