Trains, Planes & Automobiles - Getting to and from Hua Hin

cdnvic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you end up thinking of taking the 3rd class, non-AC train from BKK (very cheap....44 Baht and Thais ride free) be damn sure to have some good hearing protection with you....I am not kidding. While it wasn't ridiculously hot...all windows open with all the dust you can imagine....the noise was unbelievalbe....prolonged exposure would surely cause permanent hearing damage. The reason we chose this one was because the overnight train from Chaingmai was late (imagine that, eh?) and we missed the pre-paid 2nd class, AC train down. The other option besides the one that was going to leave in 15 minutes, didn't leave until 5 hours later. It would leave the time the 3rd class train arrived down there. My two satangs worth....pp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, need some opinion here. Arrive Hua Hin on 23rd morning from Butterworth by train and will go to BKK on Sat. Checked the train schedule and most of the train depart between midnight to 6.30am which is way too early. Thought about taking a minivan but not sure if it is convenient with my cabin luggage size.

Friend told me that the bus station to Bangkok is quite far from town. Minivan sounds faster and easier because it stop at Victory Monument.

Just want to know if it is ok if i can fit my cabin luggage in the minivan. There will be 2 of us. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

We were booked on a Nok Air flight from Nakhon Phanom that arrived in BKK at around 1000 hrs - plenty of time to catch the 1300 hrs train to Hua Hin. Nok Air have changed the flight schedule and the plane now gets in at 1300 hrs.

I'm rethinking the train idea as the trains departing from 1500 hr arive after dark.

Has anyone recently taken a taxi from Don Maung to Hua Hin?

What was the price and are there any reliable services that I can pre-book?

Thanks in advance

Hello all,

I'm in BKK...If I want to take a government bus to Cha'am or Hua Hin that has a toilet...do I get it at MoChit or Ekamai? Thanks in advance as it's been a few years since I went there. As a side note...I'm not interested in taking a mini-van.

• 2 months later...

There is now a very good airport bus service to Hua Hin and I think it runs about 7 or 8 times a day in both directions.

Its 305 baht per passenger and its a 24 seat luxury coach and very comfortable.

They will drop off at Cha am up on the highway and its a short cab ride to the Cha am beach from there.

They have a web site so just Google Hua Hin Airport bus and you should find it ok.

The bus leaves from level 1 at exit door 8 (basically below the international arrivals area at the airport.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hello all,

I'm in BKK...If I want to take a government bus to Cha'am or Hua Hin that has a toilet...do I get it at MoChit or Ekamai? Thanks in advance as it's been a few years since I went there. As a side note...I'm not interested in taking a mini-van.

That new airport to Hua Hin bus service has a toilet on board and its a very good service, comfortable luxury coach. ...see my earlier post

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

The Best way (and only way ) to visit Hua Hin is by Train! If you are like me ( you won't be...) then The Ordinary 3rd class train leaves Bangkok's Hua Lampong station daily at 09.25 and takes 4-6 hours @ 44 baht. The great thing about the train is the scenery is wonderful ( The buses @ vans are extremely dangerous with accidents now reported every day!) Yes the train takes longer but are you really in a rush? (no...) The trains are a fab way of getting around and seeing Thailand.Many Thais are not experienced in travelling by train and to many it is considered to be " The poor mans transport ". Its a great shame because the ordinary 3rd class trains are " FREE " to most of the Thais.

Marcus

post-193254-0-98136400-1389922832_thumb.

post-193254-0-88307000-1389922874_thumb.

post-193254-0-91482700-1389922917_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

As many of you have heard the rice farmers have blocked the North/South main highway near the Ratchaburi/Bangkok split..

(maybe called Tak Po).

Well as an alternative route both down to Cha-Am & Hua Hin 12-15kms BEFORE this intersection there are signs on your left indicating a road

to Cha Am Beach.

This road is a scenic route, takes you thru' the town on Ban Laem, & finally brings you into Cha Am.

If you HAVE to get to/from Hua Hin or Cha Am..this road will do it for you...(the farmers look like blocking the main highway every day now).

If in doubt check a map-book or GPS about this route.

thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

what is the best way to go from Hua Hin to Kuala Lumphur? are there still flights going to there? is it easier to go to Penang?

Is it better to go by train or bus? any recommendations? going to get a tourist visa.

Thanks

From Hua-Hin to Kuala Lumphur by train is the best bet. It took longer time to travel but safely and fun for sightseeing too, if you're not in the hurry for the visa run.

• 2 months later...

If you have a lot of luggage, it is likely better to take a taxi from the Airport in BKK to

Hua Hin, as long as the price agreed is less that 3000 baht.

Otherwise get a taxi to a BKK hotel for the night, then in the morning, take another taxi

to the train station. You can take all the luggage you want on the train. The ride is 4 hours,

and you will need to make your way to which ever Hotel you are staying.

This is of course if it is your first time in the country. After you have travelled to Thailand

a few times you will find other ways to get there, cheaply and safely.

The mini buses are a fast way to get from BKK at Vicrory monument area to Cha-Am or Hua Hin,

however it is better if you do not have too much luggage.

I am lucky that I have Thai relatives who live in BKK, so I am privileged to be able to get a ride with them.

That is my safest way to get from place to place.

Flying can be an option as well, and it may be a better way to go for some, in that case, get from the International

airport to the Don Mueng airport, and book your flight to Hua Hin.

Stargeezer

• 3 months later...

3)- By bus: Air-conditioned buses leave Bangkok's Southern Bus Terminal every 30 minutes between 05.00 and 22.00. Buses leave for Bangkok every 30-40 minutes between 03.00 and 21.00. Approximate journey time: 3 hours. There is also a minibus service that links Hua Hin with downtown Bangkok, convenient for the Victory Monument Skytrain station. Cost (in 2005) 130 baht.

For the BKK-bound buses, do they have the underside luggage area? If yes, do they allow people to put bicycles in there?

• 1 month later...

For me it's always the one of the two trains that leave at 0800 to 0830 from Hualampong. Aircon or the non aircon train third class wind in your hair ! Ok if it's not hot season. The train has never worked for me on the way back, the timings are bad. Always the bus to the southern terminal.

SGA airlines don't operate any more. I believe the owner got sick and they ceased operations. Kan Air has flights to and from HHQ. Chiang mai , u-tapao, some others? Lionair does Hatyai. Berjaya have stopped the KL flights I think.

Remember the danger with mini buses in Thailand. Big bus from the southern bus station is safer In my opinion. First time I came to Thailand in the early 90's a German guy said "on a minibus the bumper is your nose!" And it's true there's not much vehicle around you. They do crumple easily. The sliding door won't slide. Never sit at the front.

Ground floor at BKK has desks to book a taxi to Hua Hin , Pattaya etc 1500-2000baht from memory.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thinking of going to Hua Hin (despite the latest video footage of farangs getting badly beaten up) for about a week in late August from Bangkok with 4 adults and 3 young children. Can't seem to find any flights via Skyscanner or any online flight site from Bangkok to Hua Hin (which I know has a small airport), anyone know if there are still any airlines operating between Bangkok and Hua Hin?

Alternatively at booking a minivan with driver to take me from Bangkok to Hua Hin how much roughly?

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I see that this post has not been updated in a couple of years. Is there is a bus from swampy airport to cha am? I have seen a bunch of them from swampy to Hua hin but then you have to pay another hundred baht to get to cha am. The wife and I are done taking VIP Vans, it seemed a little too homicidal for our tastes.

• 2 months later...

2nd may 2017...had a look at the setup for the new Bus terminal in Hua Hin yesterday.  Yes about 6 KM out of town near airport on main hy-way to Bankkok...this is a service to Suvarnabhuni (BKK) airport.  This would have to be the best value for money for as a bus ride in the world...very flash bus, very flash seats (you can sleep in them), very polite driver and hostess, very polite office staff at the new flash bus depot.

You book and pay at the bus depot of book and pay online for an extra Bt50.  Make sure you have your booking number from you online ticket,  That is all you need.

This service cost Bt 269 + online booking fee Bt 319.  In Western Australia I live 200KM from Perth Airport about the save distance.  I go in a bus the same size, has 59 seats, you sit up straight.  One bus driver only it cost Bt1600 to the airport.

Yes this service must be best and cheapest 1st class bus service in the world.

Further to my above comments  I can only heap praise on this service.  Yesterday I caught a taxi  Hua Hin to Cha-am picking up just near the old bus Hue Hin bus station, from there to the new bus station it was exactly 30 mins.  In Bangkok none of the bus services to distant location are in the down town city location except Victory Square and that's a dogs dinner.

It's a pity people on this site who bag this service cannot see the bigger picture, some even expect personalized pick up an drop off to there 5 star hotel or back packers residence included for, what Bt 269.  "get a life".

A further comment from me about my experience with the new and better for most people us service from Hua HIn to BKK

I live Western Australia and spend 3 months at a time in Cha-am 3 months in Aus.  The fare from my country town 200 km to Perth International Airport  in a OK nice bus 59 seats you sit up straight, just the driver, no hostess Bt 50 for 500 mil water (free in Thai bus service), no traffic jam where I come from, exactly 3 hour trip.  Cost Bt 1650, more 5 times as much (same amount of fuel for the bus).  Come on you winging lot get your lousy bags out and give the poor buggers a go.  On a scale of 10 you would have to give these people 11 out of 10.  They always leave on time but Bangkok Traffic is the biggest Enemy.

The new Hua Hin bus terminal is just lovely, nice seating, nice friendly staff, nice coffee shop if you have to wait a while.  Catch a mini bus service to the terminal for 25 Bt or the old banger red bus for Bt 15 if your to lousy to get a taxi, yes I believe in giving credit where it is due so I'm thinking about making it 12 out of 10.  This bus company needs to be congratulated...not bagged.

PS,,, finally I take back what I said about booking on line.  Provided you have the booking number from the internet, YOUR NAME WILL NOT Be ANY USE. you will be able to get on the bus (figures TIT)

AIbEiAIAAABDCIDXsISs8dqCFCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDdlMGIzNmY4NzBlNmNkMzgxNmRhNzUxYjBhZWI2NmVlMzc3NTgxNzkwAZOZy-L8jJJPyYmupMHnSzl-WuVJ?sz=24
Click here to Reply or Forward

0.2 GB (1%) of 15 GB used
Last account activity: 41 minutes ago
Details

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2017 at 9:56 AM, David Walden said:

2nd may 2017...had a look at the setup for the new Bus terminal in Hua Hin yesterday.  Yes about 6 KM out of town near airport on main hy-way to Bankkok...this is a service to Suvarnabhuni (BKK) airport.  This would have to be the best value for money for as a bus ride in the world...very flash bus, very flash seats (you can sleep in them), very polite driver and hostess, very polite office staff at the new flash bus depot.

You book and pay at the bus depot of book and pay online for an extra Bt50.  Make sure you have your booking number from you online ticket,  That is all you need.

This service cost Bt 269 + online booking fee Bt 319.  In Western Australia I live 200KM from Perth Airport about the save distance.  I go in a bus the same size, has 59 seats, you sit up straight.  One bus driver only it cost Bt1600 to the airport.

Yes this service must be best and cheapest 1st class bus service in the world.

Further to my above comments  I can only heap praise on this service.  Yesterday I caught a taxi  Hua Hin to Cha-am picking up just near the old bus Hue Hin bus station, from there to the new bus station it was exactly 30 mins.  In Bangkok none of the bus services to distant location are in the down town city location except Victory Square and that's a dogs dinner.

It's a pity people on this site who bag this service cannot see the bigger picture, some even expect personalized pick up an drop off to there 5 star hotel or back packers residence included for, what Bt 269.  "get a life".

A further comment from me about my experience with the new and better for most people us service from Hua HIn to BKK

I live Western Australia and spend 3 months at a time in Cha-am 3 months in Aus.  The fare from my country town 200 km to Perth International Airport  in a OK nice bus 59 seats you sit up straight, just the driver, no hostess Bt 50 for 500 mil water (free in Thai bus service), no traffic jam where I come from, exactly 3 hour trip.  Cost Bt 1650, more 5 times as much (same amount of fuel for the bus).  Come on you winging lot get your lousy bags out and give the poor buggers a go.  On a scale of 10 you would have to give these people 11 out of 10.  They always leave on time but Bangkok Traffic is the biggest Enemy.

The new Hua Hin bus terminal is just lovely, nice seating, nice friendly staff, nice coffee shop if you have to wait a while.  Catch a mini bus service to the terminal for 25 Bt or the old banger red bus for Bt 15 if your to lousy to get a taxi, yes I believe in giving credit where it is due so I'm thinking about making it 12 out of 10.  This bus company needs to be congratulated...not bagged.

PS,,, finally I take back what I said about booking on line.  Provided you have the booking number from the internet, YOUR NAME WILL NOT Be ANY USE. you will be able to get on the bus (figures TIT)

AIbEiAIAAABDCIDXsISs8dqCFCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKDdlMGIzNmY4NzBlNmNkMzgxNmRhNzUxYjBhZWI2NmVlMzc3NTgxNzkwAZOZy-L8jJJPyYmupMHnSzl-WuVJ?sz=24
Click here to Reply or Forward

0.2 GB (1%) of 15 GB used
Last account activity: 41 minutes ago
Details

Hi David.

Thanks for your infos.

Does this new bus from Suvanabumi Airport make a stop in Cha Am?

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2007 at 5:12 PM, Sledge71 said:

Has anyone ever driven Chiang Mai to Hua hin ? How long would it take approximately ?

Thanks

Islandape

You can get on a bus at Cha-am if you want.  Overnight trip, quite good if any bus trip can be called good, can book on line, OK meal (sort of) at half way, half hour rest stop.  Just be sure that your half hour meal break is only 20 mins.  If your a farang they will go without you after 20 mins that's if all the Thais are on board and as well you may get a good talking to if you take longer to stretch you legs, don't pee to long.  They only have 2 speeds  flatout and stop and usual get in about 2 hours early.  Supposed to get in 6am don't be surprised if it's 4am.(it will be)  They have to go flatout to get home I suppose so they can get a bit of sleep so they can do the day shift as well...this could be one reason why Thai bus drivers often sleep at the wheel, no log book, no regulation sleep.  If there a bus drivers log book I'm sure no one ever looks at it???   TIT

PS Yes the bus from BKK airport to Hua Hin will stop at Cha-am you just need to remind the driver.

I have used the airport bus to Hua Hin 5 times now,

it saves me having to go to Mo Chit to get on the death minivans,

very comfortable, if you get the 3pm bus you tend to get in to Hua hin airport for about 6pm, if you get the 4.30 then it takes longer due to traffic.

They offer a free shuttlebus to the clock tower

3 hours ago, skippy121 said:

I have used the airport bus to Hua Hin 5 times now,

it saves me having to go to Mo Chit to get on the death minivans,

very comfortable, if you get the 3pm bus you tend to get in to Hua hin airport for about 6pm, if you get the 4.30 then it takes longer due to traffic.

They offer a free shuttlebus to the clock tower

Is there a website somewhere with their time schedule and such?

• 3 months later...

what's the best cheap way from don muang these days? i know the A1 bus goes to Mo Chit (or A2 to Victory monument), are there mini buses there or do i need to go to the southern bus terminal?

if i need southern bus terminal is that taxi? BTS? underground? thx

i guess bus 28 goes from victory monument to S. bus term

Archived