Rangoon Suggestions

royboy

I'm planning a short trip to Rangoon (OK, Yangon if you must) in late October & looking for recommendations for hotels/guest houses there, preferably independent establishments within 2 km of the centre & not owned buy the regime. Done the usual Internet trawl (Trip Advisor etc.) but would appreciate any personal recommendations.

Also, I realise evening entertainment is a bit thin on the ground there, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Try the hotel bars there is a mixed crowd of expats and Burmese woman. If you are into history the Strand Hotel Bar is interesting. I stayed in a good hotel by the train station but cannot remember its name if I come across it I will post it.

Try the hotel bars there is a mixed crowd of expats and Burmese woman. If you are into history the Strand Hotel Bar is interesting. I stayed in a good hotel by the train station but cannot remember its name if I come across it I will post it.

The name of the hotel I stayed in a few years ago was the Thamada Hotel within walking diatance of downtown, and the big market.

Well if you are "loaded" go for Traders or Strand.

Panorama is an old expat favorite due to their friendly policy towards bringing guests with you to the room.

Central is a junta owned place.

Guesthouses don't have good generators (cant run AC). At the worst you get 10-12 powercuts a day (0-2 at good days)

Entertainment slow? Where? Whats wrong with JJ's or Music club (at Park Royal).....and the ones I won't mention.....

....well I know whats wrong, the whole city has been overrun by chinese and koreans lately.

Go two years back and Yangon was a gem.

And whats with the exchange rate 675 kyats to 1 US$, was 1050 2 years ago. (wow you made me check, the rate has now moved up to 752,- from 675,- last week. Better days ahead)?

J!!!