Why Are Most Ladyboys Taller Than Average?

drronnie

What might be more fascinating to examine is the well-known population percentage of katoey-types within contemporary Thailand....

Was this a common feature amongst the social landscape 100+ years ago in old Siam? Or does this transgenered thing just receive more attention in modern [and even acceptance] times?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What might be more fascinating to examine is the well-known population percentage of katoey-types within contemporary Thailand....

Was this a common feature amongst the social landscape 100+ years ago in old Siam? Or does this transgenered thing just receive more attention in modern [and even acceptance] times?

It was a common feature.

post-20120-0-58656900-1314196231_thumb.j

Edited by kerryk

I have always wondered what the appropriate toilet is for katoey. Male or female?

I mean I feel a little un-confortable walking into the pisser, and a katoey has her leg on the bench, busily powdering her balls without any though whatsoever for other people using the amenities.

It was a common feature.

Done your historic research, have ya?;)

It was a common feature.

As I recall he's been here since the renaissance, arriving with the Portuguese

He does well, for a chap his age

SC

It was a common feature.

Nothing new under the sun. Besides I like the hats. And I can't wait for the traditionalists to tell me this guy is not a lady boy and he likes girls.

post-20120-0-05018500-1314196454_thumb.j

Edited by kerryk

I have always wondered what the appropriate toilet is for katoey. Male or female?

I mean I feel a little un-confortable walking into the pisser, and a katoey has her leg on the bench, busily powdering her balls without any though whatsoever for other people using the amenities.

Be honest outside of your dreams where have you seen this?

You're just not noticing all the short ones

A friend of mine told me,(not me of course) this friend told me there was this lady boy site that if you knew how you could search for lady boys by height. I, of course don't know this for a fact because my friend told me but on that site there were only 2 out of 50 lady boys that were short. The rest you could recruit for your Thai basketball team. But he said it was like finding a needle in a haystack to find a short lady boy.

You're just not noticing all the short ones

A friend of mine told me,(not me of course) this friend told me there was this lady boy site that if you knew how you could search for lady boys by height. I, of course don't know this for a fact because my friend told me but on that site there were only 2 out of 50 lady boys that were short. The rest you could recruit for your Thai basketball team. But he said it was like finding a needle in a haystack to find a short lady boy.

Its actually not difficult to find a needle in a haystack; you just dive in till you feel a prick

Pretty much the same as karaoke or politics

SC

Something that's puzzled me too, please, someone come up with a [sensible] answer.

I think it's the case that we only notice ladyboys who are taller than average. They stand out because of their beauty and height.

What we fail to notice are the thousands of ladyboys who are of average or less than average height. We fail to notice them because they blend in with all the other girls.

Ladyboys come in all shapes and sizes. That said, it does seem to be the case that ladyboys working in the sex industry are often quite tall.

I believe "Andrewbkk" is spot on. Everyone notices a tall woman, whether it's a ladyboy or a genuine woman. What we don't notice are the scores of ladyboys who are of average height and blend into the crowd. Taking hormones and what ever else they choose to cut or implant in their bodies has no barring on the height they reach. This is the only rational conclusion to the "original" post.

A person limits their thinking if they state that something is " the only rational conclusion to the "original" post ".

If it is in fact the case that Thai transsexuals are taller than the average male, the reason may well lie in prenatal testosterone exposure or lack thereof, as expounded in these articles ( links below ) about finger length. I've never heard about a height connection, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Note one researcher...."Wilson .......proposed that skeletal structure and personality were simultaneously affected by sex hormone levels in utero."

The first two articles give a simple explanation, and the third is more detailed and technical. The phenomenon may also be more pronounced in Thai people, for some obscure reason, which may be why it's never been noticed or studied. For instance, in the Wikipedia article, "Manning and colleagues have shown that 2D:4D ratios ( finger length ratios ) vary greatly between different ethnic groups.[26][27] This variation is far larger than the differences between sexes; in Manning's words, "There’s more difference between a Pole and a Finn than a man and a woman."[28]

http://www.independe...rs-1334251.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4314209.stm

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Digit_ratio

Congrats to the O. P. for making such an observation and starting a fascinating topic.

Edited by Latindancer

In Italy in the 1800's and earlier it was common to casterate boys with good voices to sing in opera's. This was done so there voice would not change with the production of toestesterone when they matured. They were called Casterato's and with the lak of toestertoerone that would grow to be very very tall, and also die quite young.

Perhaps there is the same effect with the ladyboys.

With the hormones many of them take they are effectivley chemically casterated (excuse the spelling)

Ken

Good theory, but I doubt the ladyboys start taking the hormones at a young age.

Most start in their teens. And since folks continue to 'grow' until a little after the end of puberty (which isn't fixed of course... but the end is mostly between the ages of 16 and 19), many are undertaking various hormone treatments during part of their growth stage. How it'll affect any particular individual is open to debate, but they are most certainly playing with one of the key aspects that determines height (in addition to exercise and nutrition).

:)

I would estimate that at least half don't take hormones if you look at the ladyboy population as a whole and not just those in entertainment areas.

IMO it's difficult to estimate as to who/how many/what % is injecting what in private, not to mention estimating the degree of variation in terms of required dosage to make any particular individual more feminine 'looking.'

Maybe some tall boys are encouraged by families to start acting like a fairy, laughing at him prancing around in the mud, then start dressing him up as a woman, secretly hoping one day, he'll create an extra income they would never have got if he'd worked picking rice. Soon he appeases them, starts talking feminine, works on his mincey walk, and hey presto, away we go on the bus to Bangkok. Then one day, some weird farang comes along, who doesn't know whether he wants Arthur or Martha, and within a few weeks, builds them all a house, new truck, sends them a wad of cash, and they all sit swinging in their hammocks all day, getting mullered out of their nut on Lao kao, while their son, ( now without nuts, a pair of tits, and a back pipe like a burst couch ), continues in his career of soap searching in Bangkok hotels. Job done. Happy families.

I think its a myth.

Lets take one of the popular bars in Nana Plaza, i.e. Obsessions or Cascade for example. The vast majority of the 'girls' dancing there are not particularly tall, perhaps taller than a similar number of Thai women but not significantly so IMHO.

Londo

Frankly I have no clue if ladyboys are taller than average, however there is a possible explanation why they might look taller (besides wearing heels):

Ladyboys are much thinner than the average man, and thin people (male or female), always look taller.

In Italy in the 1800's and earlier it was common to casterate boys with good voices to sing in opera's. This was done so there voice would not change with the production of toestesterone when they matured. They were called Casterato's and with the lak of toestertoerone that would grow to be very very tall, and also die quite young.

Perhaps there is the same effect with the ladyboys.

With the hormones many of them take they are effectivley chemically casterated (excuse the spelling)

Ken

I think you're wrong.

I understand that many LBs start taking birth control pills ( for the oestrogen ) when still teenagers.

I don't know, but I would imagine the drugs would also cause the increased height. Either that, or only excessively tall Thai boys want to become LBs

Most start in their teens. And since folks continue to 'grow' until a little after the end of puberty (which isn't fixed of course... but the end is mostly between the ages of 16 and 19), many are undertaking various hormone treatments during part of their growth stage. How it'll affect any particular individual is open to debate, but they are most certainly playing with one of the key aspects that determines height (in addition to exercise and nutrition).

I would estimate that at least half don't take hormones if you look at the ladyboy population as a whole and not just those in entertainment areas.

IMO it's difficult to estimate as to who/how many/what % is injecting what in private, not to mention estimating the degree of variation in terms of required dosage to make any particular individual more feminine 'looking.'

It is actually very easy to figure out. I don't want to be the one to tell you though. My reputation is bad enough as it is. Go to a lady boy bar and ask any of the straight guys who look like they have been in Pattaya for a while (I don't want to explain that either) and they will tell you.

I think its a myth.

Lets take one of the popular bars in Nana Plaza, i.e. Obsessions or Cascade for example. The vast majority of the 'girls' dancing there are not particularly tall, perhaps taller than a similar number of Thai women but not significantly so IMHO.

Londo

Lets assume for discussion sake that any area that you can isolate is a random sample. Go to 2 lady boy bars in Nana. 2 malls. 2 bars on Soi six. 2 lady boy go go's in Pattaya. Walk on Beach road for two meters. Estimate the height of ten lady boys at each area. This give us a sample of 100 people. Put them in two categories, over 160 centimeters and under 160 centimeters. You will get 5 lady boys under 160 centimeters and 95 over.

In case you wondered what I did with my spare time.

It is actually very easy to figure out. I don't want to be the one to tell you though. My reputation is bad enough as it is. Go to a lady boy bar and ask any of the straight guys who look like they have been in Pattaya for a while (I don't want to explain that either) and they will tell you.

As scientific as that sounds, I think I'll stick with plain Jane logic. She's plain but reliable enough.

Probably down to the eastrogen they pump into chickens to make them grow quicker here... [sic] and I really do think it is down to the extra hormones they pump into the food chain

Bit of a myth.

This is a practice largely endured in industriased Western food systems.