Sony Slt A77

svenivan

Another first impression from the A77.

Luminous Landscape

And Sony's infopage

Sony.com

I have been waiting more than a year for something like this. Very exciting!

:D:):D

A shame that Canon and Nikon have failed to produce anything that could be described as "very exciting" for a long time, just iterations of the same basic idea. It takes companies like Sony (with this) and Fuji (with the X100) to shake things up a bit; plus Sony (with the NEX), Olympus and Panasonic to push the boundaries with small interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras. There are indeed some exciting products coming out, but not from the big boys.

Have to admit, the A77 is approaching my idea of an ideal camera for me. Saw that the NEX-7 is coming out around the same time for those who like what the A77 offers but prefer a more portable version. I started a topic on the NEX-7 so as not to hijack this one.

Here is a promo video of the A77 - go to the Youtube site to play in 1080 to better appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to get one. My Zeiss zoom can't wait to be fitted on this baby ;) FYI - it's going to land in HK on Sep 22, so I hope we can have at least this kind of availability in Thailand considering it's manufactured here!

Thanks for the update. Suspect Thailand will be way down the list as it seems stores aren't keen on high end Sonys, at least in Chiang Mai.

Those lucky guys living in Hong Kong can get the A77 twenty days before the rest of the world will get them! As you can see on the screenshot on top it will be in Stock on September 22.

Sony Alpha Rumors

• 2 weeks later...

The first Sony a77 from the production-line has been delivered to customers in UK and they will be in the shops tomorrow. They are already in the shops in South Korea and Hong Kong but still they are not even announced in Sony Thailands website!

And they are all made in Thailand!

So I just wonder how long we have to wait to find them in the shops here in Thailand?

Sony Thailand has a webpage in english but when I go to "Contact us" everything is in Thai. :realangry:

I just wonder when the a77 will be available in the shops here in Thailand and what will it cost?

<_<:huh::(

I just wonder when the a77 will be available in the shops here in Thailand and what will it cost?

Me too. The problem I've seen is that higher end Sonys such as Alpha series are hard to find in most stores. Seems Canon, Nikon, etc. are carried everywhere but not Sony. :(

I wrote to "Contact Us" in Sony.com :

"So here I am, living in Thailand for 10 years, I have Sony TV, Sony Subaround system, 3 Sony cameras and I am very pleased with Sony products. But then when I want to buy the new "state of the art" camera, Sony Alpha a77, the one that is produced in Thailand, I cannot find it! It is sold in the shops today in UK, in South Korea, in Hong Kong and probably in some other countries. But here in Thailand? No! I cannot even find it as a coming product in Sony's website in Thailand, www.sony.co.th. Is it Nikon or Canon that owns Sony Thailand? Is it therefore they do not want anyone to know about this product? Amazing Thailand! If I go to the authorized Sony shop here in Chiang Rai and ask about Sony a77 I get the same answere as if I ask for a ticket to the moon! So can someone tell the CEO of Sony what is happening here in Thailand, please! And tell him also about the website! If I click on "Professional product" it says that "The page that you are looking for is unavailable." If I am in English version and click on "Contact us" I come to a page in Thai that I do not understand. But if Nikon and/or Canon are running Sony Thailand, they do a very good job. No9one can find and buy Sony products! So I hope that someone can ask someone when they are going to sell Sony Alpha a77 here in Thailand and also aks for the price. And maybe be able to email me! [email protected] Best regards Sven xxxx ps I still love Sony but I do not know about Sony Thailand.... "

And I got this reply:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in Sony product.

Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that SLT-A77 is not marketed in Thailand now and we do not have exactly pre-booking schedule.

However, you can follow up coming soon pre-booking schedule for this model from Sony Thai Website

http://www.sony.co.th/section/home?site=hp_en_TH_i

For more information, you can contact us at Customer Contact Center 0-2715-6100

Best Regards

Kannika S.

Customer Contact Center

Sony Thai Co., Ltd."

So can we hope for it to arrive here in Thailand for Christmas (this year)?

:angry:<_<:realangry:

I'm leaning more toward the A77 now as more pre-release previews come out. One feature I do want is high quality video recording with the camera. I know the purist will poof that as 'it's just a gimmick'. :D But the technology has improved so much over the last year or two I can't see it as such now. Here is an example video taken with the Sony A65 which is the lower end version of the A77 - same sensor. Remarkable. Best to jump over to YouTube and watch it in 1080HD to really appreciate it. I do realize the mechanics of the production are above normal giving it that professional look, but still shows the possibilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_6N8tOmsg

interesting, but i'm still not sure at this stage about the DSLT concept.. maybe after a few updates/improvements over the coming years..?

Here are some tests made by DXO Labs DXO Marks.

Check how Sony Alpha a77 is doing compared to Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 7D. And a77 is also doing very well compared to Full Frame Nikon D700 and Canon EOS 5D Mark II!

So I think I have been waiting enough, now I only have to find one of these A77 produced in Thailand. But maybe I have to go to Hong Kong or Singapore to get one <_< !

<_<:huh::(

• 2 weeks later...

That was good news. And thanks for the link.

I will wait until I can order a a77 without the vertical grip, I don't need that. I rather have an extra battery in my pocket.

But the price , just under 69000 baht, for camera, lens 16-50 F/2.8 and vertical grip seem to be OK.

So hopefully I can go to a Sony shop in middle of November and try camera + lens and get one direct.

I am really looking forward to that, been waiting for a couple of years to buy a new camera and I think the a77 will be my new "Mia Noi"!

:jap: :D :jap:

I will wait until I can order a a77 without the vertical grip, I don't need that. I rather have an extra battery in my pocket.

Had to look up what the vertical grip got you.

sony-vg-c77am-main.jpg

* The Sony VG-C77AM is a vertical control grip designed for use with the Sony SLT-A77 digital camera.

* It offers a more stable, comfortable grip for the A77 in both landscape and portrait formats.

* Holds up to 2x NP-FM500H batteries for extended shooting time.

* Secondary main control buttons.

* Rugged design with buttons and control protected against dust and moisture (not waterproof).

* Strap hole allows attachment of optional STP-GB1AM Hand Strap for extra stability.

* Dimensions: appox 139 x 125 x 87mm (W x H x D).

* Approx: approx 335 grams (without any batteries).

A breakdown of the A77VQ package.

SLT-A77 camera body

VG-C77AM Vertical Grip

MS-MT4G - 4 GB memory card

LCS-MS10/T Messenger bag - picture below 15 3/8 x 7 3/4 x 5 3/4" (39 x 19.5 x 14.5cm) (WxHxD)

SAL1650F28 16-50mm @F2.8 - details below.

Total package - 68,990

649351.jpg

New DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM zoom lens and accessories

Sony SAL1650F28 DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM zoom lens

The growing range of compatible A-mount lenses for both cameras now includes the quiet, bright DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM standard zoom with 16mm wide angle coverage that's ideal for both portrait and everyday shooting.

The high-performance lens features a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and offers a zoom range of approximately 3x range at constant wide F2.8 aperture. Optical performance is assured by aspherical glass and three ED (Extra Low Dispersion) lens elements to minimize aberration at all focal lengths. An internal Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) drive enables fast, quiet autofocus.

Seems no word on the FB site for the NEX-7 release. Haven't made up my mind between the two yet. :)

I thought about it too. But I really need the blazing fast AF and the plethora of direct controls. Plus, I already have a NEX-5 :D