20-Year-Old Briton Electrocuted To Death On Bangla Road, Phuket

george

Brit tourist in Phuket dies in soaked power surge

phuket-1-10877MxsbGTndwUcxqxVtkgqpnGbLGS.jpg

Not many tourists in evidence at the popular shopping mall on

Soi Bangla today.

phuket-4-10877DBxPhRIWJLUYCrFuWAyVmlCmUG.jpg

The outdoor power socket.

PHUKET: -- A young British tourist died in Patong early this morning after he accidentally placed his hand on an outdoor, floor-mounted power socket covered with water.

The 20-year-old man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was sitting in the undercover forecourt of the Ocean Plaza Patong [shopping mall] on Soi Bangla at about 6am when the incident happened.

“He was sitting with his male traveling companion and a group of Thai people,” said one officer who arrived at the scene.

“He was waving his hand around while talking and accidentally placed it on top of a power socket covered by a metal plate. There was a lot of water on the floor from the rain and he was electrocuted,” the officer said.

A Thai woman [in the group] tried to pull him away from the power socket, but she received a shock and could not pull herself away.

Then a Thai man tried to help, and he too suffered an electric shock and could not free himself.

“Another Thai guy saw this and kicked the Thai man away from the others. Then they used a wooden stick to push the Thai girl away,” the officer said.

The Thai man and woman were not seriously injured.

The British tourist’s friend suffered an electric shock when he tried to help.

He is now recovering at Wachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

“Although his physical injuries are not serious, he is suffering from the emotional shock of losing his friend,” a hospital worker told the Phuket Gazette.

A masseuse who works in the Ocean Plaza forecourt said today that she had heard about the incident, but was not aware that the man had died.

“We knew about the power socket, but we didn’t know that it could be so dangerous. Some of us used to walk barefoot around here, but now we all wear rubber soles all the time,” she said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-25

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean how could an electricity socket covered in water be so dangerous?

Freaking idiots.

Well, a young British guy has probably never come across such a lethal death-trap, not the sort of thing you often see in the UK.

Just sad.

I remember when my Aussie friend came over the first time, he couldn't believe all the live electric cables on the streets.

It reminds me of a similar case when a young British guy was electrocuted in the rain by a loose power cable in Theppisit. Totally unacceptable.

Another young life wasted in a country that seems to have such little regard for safety but is so dependent on tourism.

Condolences to the family.......

Para

Thailand is an electrical nightmare. None of the houses I've lived in here have been grounded and I've had lots of shocks just from touching appliances. This outdoor socket isn't the exception, it's normal for Thailand. Don't hold your breath on anything changing soon.

Well, if he would not have been there at 6 am the accident would have never happened = it is his own fault. Welcome to the biggest congregations of clowns; I keep proclaiming = too many clowns, not enough circuses. Do you seriously thing, assume, hope or expect anything to change in this country? Try to imagine what would happen, if a Thai would get electrocuted in London. Good luck this is hypothetical as it will never happen and hence Thais are never at fault!

i think we are all lucky....the electric situation is on most places very unsafe...for europian matters...

I think its even against the law in europe having electric wires hanging around like here in thailand...

One wire getting loose would be enough to have another dramatic scene like this one mentioned in this topic.

But when i look at all the wires hanging around.....i think...impossible even to do it the right safe way...

But i am sure the new goverment will take care of it.....pffffffff....

In Thailand there is no health and safety standards that are internationally recognized. People should be aware of when visiting Thailand one should be over cautious and sharp minded with focus to one safety. My heart goes out to the young mans family - Tragic indeed!

I can understand if you chosse to live here and make an informoned choice...BUT this poor guys life taken away, on holiday..I feel so much for the family and friends...god bless.....RIP bud, some may forget but a lot wont..sleep well :(

Edited by Rooo
Insult remmoved.

It is already a miracle that nobody who tried to help the poor Briton was not killed also from electrocution.

I learned already in primary school that before helping a person, victim of electrocution, one must cut off the power first or use insulated equipment

The entire Thai attitude to electricity facilities and conduits is disgusting.

It seems that they just don't understand the imminent dangers they put all people in when they allow all of the low hanging and poorly wired infrasctructures.

Even their power plugs and adapters are death traps,... a complete joke but freely sold in any store.

Recently whilst on a trip to Ubon I happened to walk across a walk-over pedestrian bridge across the main city road. On the other side of the bridge was a staircase down that had a chrome steel railing and brushing up directly along side of that railing were power lines which you could have touched with your hand without any stretching!

No value placed on a life here,... and no existence of commonsense or accountability for anything. Makes me want to pewk!

I remember that about 10 years ago government decided that all electrical main wires should be underground within 5 years all oiver the country????

I also remember that last yea the then government decided that all main electrical wiring should be underground within 10 years startring with Bangkok/ Has anybody seen any progress?

I know there is one street in Chiang Mai (thae pae road) who has most lines now underground but further????

I remember visiting the United states a couple of years ago most electrical lines where above ground, not as messy as here but still.....

Sorry for the live of this young guy. May he rest in peace. Strenght for his family.

I mean how could an electricity socket covered in water be so dangerous

Power goes to ground. It probably entered where he touched the outlet box and the electricity traveled to where he touched the ground going through his upper body and heart. Even small voltages can disrupt the electrical currents of your heart and even if you don't die right away, you can pass in your sleep later that day.

Electricians in America are required to spend the night in the hospital with EKG attached when even the slightest current goes through their upper body.

Sad and totally unnecessary if better safety standards were followed.

It is already a miracle that nobody who tried to help the poor Briton was not killed also from electrocution.

I learned already in primary school that before helping a person, victim of electrocution, one must cut off the power first or use insulated equipment

Use a belt, kick them away as the one guy did to the others or if you can, tackle them off the object, your momentum will keep you both safe. There's a hundred things you can do while "waiting" for someone to figure out how to shut off the electricity.. Doesn't say anything about anyone performing CPR either I wonder if anyone had the education or presence of mind to follow through with that?

I won't swim in any pools here nor will my kids I've seen too much behind the scenes..

Power goes to ground. It probably entered where he touched the outlet box and the electricity traveled to where he touched the ground going through his upper body and heart. Even small voltages can disrupt the electrical currents of your heart and even if you don't die right away, you can pass in your sleep later that day.

Electricians in America are required to spend the night in the hospital with EKG attached when even the slightest current goes through their upper body.

It is a shame that folks in form India to Manila do not understand how dangerous electricity can be, especially when there is so much water available to really stir the pot.

However...part of what you said is absolute nonsense...

I spent 12 years in the USA as a foreman in high speed mills where I had dozens of electricians reporting to me managing all types of current. Your statement is pure fabrication...utter BS...and a fantasy you cooked up.

Following your logic, every welder would be permanent residents of hospitals, since we regularly eat some pretty nasty current.

It sounded so real when you said it...but...it is a total crock. OMG..I am laughing out loud at how ridiculous that is!

Well, today I went to the ATM at the Family Mart in Nanai at the corner of Soi 2 to check my bank account. I did so many times before, but in nice weather conditions. Today my Flip-Flops were wet, and when touching the first key on the keyboard I had this "exiting nice feeling" of a ungrounded piece of metal connected to a hot lead. I just used my purse to push the cancel-button and left. The next time I won't touch any ATM in the rain. :angry:

i think we are all lucky....the electric situation is on most places very unsafe...for europian matters...

But like this one, I also would not expect, even not in Thailand... on the ground, where always water is because of different reasons (cleaning, raining etc.). Even not if it's covered by plastic.

My condolences to the family of the victim. A victim, that never must have been, if few people would have had brain instead vacuum...

It is a shame that folks in form India to Manila do not understand how dangerous electricity can be, especially when there is so much water available to really stir the pot.

However...part of what you said is absolute nonsense...

I spent 12 years in the USA as a foreman in high speed mills where I had dozens of electricians reporting to me managing all types of current. Your statement is pure fabrication...utter BS...and a fantasy you cooked up.

Following your logic, every welder would be permanent residents of hospitals, since we regularly eat some pretty nasty current.

It sounded so real when you said it...but...it is a total crock. OMG..I am laughing out loud at how ridiculous that is!

Actually seeing that now I completely agree, I've been shocked countless times in swimming pool repairs and other types of electrical repairs never been "required" to go to the hospital even once nor have I ever needed to go..And yes even welding..

Also one must stay clear of trees here with all of the electrical lights they string in them without the slightest attempt at water proofing..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It seems that they just don't understand the imminent dangers they put all people in when they allow all of the low hanging and poorly wired infrasctructures.

Even their power plugs and adapters are death traps,... a complete joke but freely sold in any store.

Recently whilst on a trip to Ubon I happened to walk across a walk-over pedestrian bridge across the main city road. On the other side of the bridge was a staircase down that had a chrome steel railing and brushing up directly along side of that railing were power lines which you could have touched with your hand without any stretching!

No value placed on a life here,... and no existence of commonsense or accountability for anything. Makes me want to pewk!

Did you reach out and grab one? Really, you should give it a try. Your attitude is pathetic. Go back to the utopia you came from, and you will not have to be burdened with this and many other problems inherent in living in SEA.

Trust me, the Thais will not miss you for one instant. Bon Voyage!!

Nice baiting attempt, his attitude is realistic.. Yours on the other hand........................................

My attitude is this: I elected to live here, and view myself as a grateful guest. I know there are dangers, things that run against my "common sense." I hope I never reach the bitter, condescending 'superior attitude" I see on this forum. Many here have overstayed their welcome, and now are prisoners who lack the ways and means to go back to perfect little merry old England...(The part not burning in riots)

Yes, i agree with his point that the way wires are strung is pretty amazing / crazy making...It is the attitude I am addressing.

Did you reach out and grab one? Really, you should give it a try. Your attitude is pathetic. Go back to the utopia you came from, and you will not have to be burdened with this and many other problems inherent in living in SEA.

Trust me, the Thais will not miss you for one instant. Bon Voyage!!

Nice baiting attempt, his attitude is realistic.. Yours on the other hand........................................

My attitude is this: I elected to live here, and view myself as a grateful guest. I know there are dangers, things that run against my "common sense." I hope I never reach the bitter, condescending 'superior attitude" I see on this forum. Many here have overstayed their welcome, and now are prisoners who lack the ways and means to go back to perfect little merry old England...(The part not burning in riots)

Yes, i agree with his point that the way wires are strung is pretty amazing / crazy making...It is the attitude I am addressing.

Ok fair enough, but it's because we are guests that better care for ones guests and residents should be given.. Would you not do so yourself when someone comes to your house to visit and for your family?

Or would you not expect the same in someone else's house for you and yours?

Edited by WarpSpeed

It's tragic that someone had to die because someone didn't do their job correctly and it wasn't checked. It's not the power points fault, it's just a thing. Thailand is a death trap because you don't really know when you are going to meet with this and it's also tragic that the law, that is usually in place, is not followed as it should. Phuket has had a few deaths lately and for such an important tourist area it's amazing the blaze attitude that the authorities have of looking after the tourists. Many people come to Thailand for the first time and come to the beaches of Phuket and it's all so very different, with all these nice people that are only looking out for their own best interest. It's not only Thai workers and Thai business owners that do this, I have seen a lot of foreign business owners, workers and even tourists that are very bad to the Thai people and other foreigners as well.

I feel that I'm really lucky that the place I live does have an earth wire as it's the first place (and I have lived in 5 different places already).

no

jump kick someone and he'll fall off and you'll only touch him for half a sec

Well, why should we complain?

After all, you see monkeys running along those tangles of wires, and get away with it ... most of the time.

(Poor barstad. It's a horrible story.)

And just a few hours ago I posted a comment on the thread:

"No gambling in Bangkok"

To which I said:

"Just being in Bangkok is more of a gamble than I ever imagined.

I've eliminated travelling to and fro in the notorious, death defying vans, but the other hazards ... "

One of the other hazards: "Brit tourist dies in soaked power surge."

I have noticed a couple of those floor mounted power points, not believing what I was seeing.

All things are connected.

Edited by TechnikaIII

Well, if he would not have been there at 6 am the accident would have never happened = it is his own fault. Welcome to the biggest congregations of clowns; I keep proclaiming = too many clowns, not enough circuses. Do you seriously thing, assume, hope or expect anything to change in this country? Try to imagine what would happen, if a Thai would get electrocuted in London. Good luck this is hypothetical as it will never happen and hence Thais are never at fault!

Really sad you think that. its his fault because it was 6 am? If you were out at 6 am should you expect to die?

How about all the Thais that were out at Santika, and that was only midnight. Its about basic safety issues and people caring about other people. Its not about the time on the clock. People have the right to go out, they shouldn't expect a "heater in the bath" scenario on a beach-side road.

How many Thais have been electrocuted in the street in London? Please forward the stats from the last 20 years .... love to hear them.

I'm all for "visitor beware" and "you're not in Kansas anymore" but really, deathtraps are deathtraps are deathraps and have to be called as such.

Edited by pete66

“Some of us used to walk barefoot around here, but now we all wear rubber soles all the time,” she said.

The Thai logic of enforcing health & safety, wait until it happens before you take precautions !!

RIP young man.