Jump to content
BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
george

20-Year-Old Briton Electrocuted To Death On Bangla Road, Phuket

Recommended Posts

Our thoughts and prayers to him, his friend (what a terrible way to lose a mate, not that there's a good way either), and his family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plugged my Thai laptop in the other day and heard a crackling sound and smelt burning. I then saw smoke coming from the plug at the wall. I quickly turned off the power at the socket. Oh dear. I'm in the Uk but the adapter was from Thailand. Just when I thought I'd escaped the poor electrical system I realized that I'd actually bought a little part of it with me. :D I bought a replacement for a pound and all is well again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A masseuse who works in the Ocean Plaza forecourt said today that she had heard about the incident, but was not aware that the man had died.

“We knew about the power socket, but we didn’t know that it could be so dangerous. Some of us used to walk barefoot around here, but now we all wear rubber soles all the time,” she said."

Amazing Thailand ! RIP buddy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is already a miracle that nobody who tried to help the poor Briton was not killed also from electrocution.

I learned already in primary school that before helping a person, victim of electrocution, one must cut off the power first or use insulated equipment

I agree Rule N# 1 never touch a victim of electricution before the area has been isolated. It appears everyone is taught that from day one except Thai's . You hear so many stories of farangs being electicuted in Thailand (swimming pools, hotwater heaters and just walking around) how many thais are dying daily from eletricution? Electricity and Thai's are a bad combination, just walk along any street anywhere in Thailand and look at the disasters just waiting to happen. Every footpath cafe' and eatery you will see wires laying on the ground with plug after plug piggybacking each other on the ground, rain pouring down. 1/2 the time they don't even use plugs just 2 bare wires stuck into the points. The concept of earthing hasn't even been considered in Thailand as yet. Do they actually have local government safety inspectors who monitor all these roadside establishments and enforce strict safety standards. Thier public liability insurance must be through the roof if they could even get it.

Condolences to family and friends of this latest victim. To the Thai's that tried to help, a little foolish but at least you tried to do something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every country has its advantages and disadvantages, but in Thailand (and is may be the norm in DEVELOPING COUNTRIES) is the negligence of good workmanship. Western countries sometimes seem to be "overboard" on safety - along with their strict ordances and safety codes; but Thailand seems to neglect being "pro-active". Why? No one is held accountable.

I live in Pattaya and could point out electrical dangers on every block of this city... A few years ago a British guy was walking in the rain and stepped on a mud puddle that had a "live" wire in it. He died. Did this tragedy enforce electrical safety inspections? *ell no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocking !!!!

I remeber a while back there was also a story of a guy electricuted in the shower of a hotel that uses those tiny electric wall mounted heaters. It apparently had a short...

I guess you can't sue in Thailand....

SiamSlim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are they going to fix it!?! Or mai bpen rai?

What a tragic end for the tourist victim.

Fix What? Is it broken? Here we have a country in a tropical area that basically has 2 seasons, wet and dry, When it rains here it really rains and a lot of areas are prone to flooding. Why on earth would anyone put a power point in such a position. Where were the building and safety inspectors who were suppose to sign off on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My condolences to the family and friends of the victim. A sad and unnecessary end to a young life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Tessaban gives planning permission every house has to have an earth unfortunately they never inspect any work that has been done. Alot of electric sockets are not earthed and use 1.5mm instead of 2.5mm cable which is a potential fire hazard. Also alot of bathroom shower units are not earthed only having 2 wires and some houses don't even have a basic earth from the breaker box. Thai electricians cost alot more than mr fixit and have no idea about earth wires. Cambodia is even worse has anyone seen the metal pylons on every street that carry the elecricity that is super scary.

Condolences to the guys family RIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people mentioned that people died from electrocution in swimming pool in Thailand. I read the shower heat accident before, but how do you get electrocuted in swimming pool in Thailand?

Rip to the kid. Lesson learnt: We need to be aware of our surroundings.

Edited by AngelofDeath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get the tingling shock of your computer or another appliance, what you should do is take the plug out of the wall and turn it upside down and plug it in again - reversed polarity

You will then not get the shock again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Thailand there is no health and safety standards that are internationally recognized. People should be aware of when visiting Thailand one should be over cautious and sharp minded with focus to one safety. My heart goes out to the young mans family - Tragic indeed!

Agree with this, it is sad// but people need to be super aware that they are NOT AT HOME.

The problem is and I'm not say this guy was, people go out get blind drunk and stop paying attention to this different world.

A world which is nothing like the place they grew up in, no safe guards, no bubble wrap.

Sad but Expected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also that doesnt sound like AC current? Its usually high vold DC current that makes you drop or cant release something when shocked it contracts the muscles. AC was introduced because it makes you jump i you get a shock, jump away and release the wire/plug etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have noticed all over Thailand from Golf Course club houses to 5 star hotels poor quality electrical wiring. No joke for years I have thought "Gosh someone will get killed with this wiring"

A few days ago I was at a high grade golf course with a massive fancy club house and it looked like a 3th grader had wired it in some places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bears the question: Who is responsible for designing (and having installed) a FLOOR-mounted power socket in an OPEN-AIR area in a country that is frequently exposed to heavy DOWNPOURS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...