Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

<deleted> are we doing here. I for one am on the way out if the bureaucracy increases like this. Unbelieveable. Hotels and Restaurants are EMPTY, tour companies are closing all over Thailand (i.e. Diethelm Travel closed Chiang Rai and will do the same with Phuket and Samui) and the clowns wonder, why nobody is coming anymore. Are these people completely out of their mind?

I would reckon that Tour company offices are closing because most people book on-line now. Can't remember the last time I used one myself.

Tour companies, mostly Thai owned, thrived on tourists who arrived in Thailand without any outbound ticket. Why would a genuine tourists do that? Two reasons: 1) not sure how long he/she wants to stay in Thailand, and 2) wants to explore Asia and use Thailand as a base. These tourists might decide to fly to Cambodia, go to one of the tour companies in Thailand, purchase a ticket on the spur of the moment, etc. Then return to Thailand again on a one-way ticket for the next adventure. The outward ticket requirement hurts Thai businesses. And for the poster who insists that tourism is "up, up, up," please attempt to not be so misleading. The fact is that Thailand just experienced the worst loss in the tourism industry ever recorded. After that, it becomes easy to show an upward trend (especially if data are manipulated). And one more "burn down Bangkok" incident will turn it into a downward trend again. Hotels are hurting all over. I simply do not understand why the Thai government continues to allow a certain segment of the govt. to enact rules that harm tourism and the Thai economy. But, TIT. And each time they do it, a round of applause goes up from Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines who benefit from these rules.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I have been informed, decisions of this type are not a direct result of government intervention, but rather decisions taken by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and would have been planned and implemented with another government in place, too.

Maybe there is somebody with first-hand knowledge of this, who could comment?

From what I understood:

Only land crossings WITHOUT a prior visa will now get you 15 days. If you arrive via the air to an airport you still get your 30 days.

On the plus side, you can now obtain a 90 visa, with no limits. Meaning you can get as many 90 visas you want. You wont have to be out of the country for 6 months before the next visa. I guess they just want you to get a regular visa.

As for the hotel booking, I think that is pretty simple. Put down any guest house you normally stay in, or if you have residency your address, or friends address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!

What's the 90 day Visa you are referring to? In country exiting out on land & returningon land? (Nong Khai / Vientaine / Nong Khai) (Ranong / Myanmar / Ranong)

Or from out-of-country coming in via airport?

-saanya

Good to see this thread had the desired effect . . . i.e. panicking the dumbed down masses.

The link - http://www.mfa.go.th...01.php?&id=2815 refers only to the applications at the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. SOmething that must have accidentally been missed out in the original 'news' report.

The MFA is just making it harder for people to get long visas from neighbouring countries. Same as they did for Non Imm visas a few years ago. Anyone with some common sense knows that the rules wont be enforced in a western country, and even if they were, they come with a handy, face saving get out - the applicant can submit a letter to say why they cant provide the correct docs.

This is true...the page is from the Thai embassy in Cambodia's website (not the Thai MFA in Bangkok) and some of the provisions pertain to Cambodians nationals applying for tourist visas for Thailand. (like the copy of the ID card). As I have never reviewed this site before, I don't know if the airline/hotel reservation requirements are new or have always been there but ignored. One would have to check other local embassy/consulate sites in some other countries to see if this is a new policy from Bangkok or only particular to the Cambodian embassy.

If you then check the MFA's website for tourist visa issuance, while they mention the entry/exit flight ticket requirement (which has always been there but unenforced...at least for "desirable" tourists) the hotel reservation stuff is not listed. Therefore, likely it's just a local Cambo policy.

Interesting.

Lopburi? Mario2008? Could you make light of this? Is this just to do with Cambodia?

Or is the Thai Embassy in Cambodia simply the first to heed the order and revise their website?

Interesting.

Lopburi? Mario2008? Could you make light of this? Is this just to do with Cambodia?

Or is the Thai Embassy in Cambodia simply the first to heed the order and revise their website?

The first reports we have were from Phom Penh, Cambodia (see the thread linked to in the OP). Our contact at the the visa section of MFA confirm this morning that they have contacted all Thai Consulates and Embassies about new requirements. I don't know more details at the moment, but guess we will have more info, and reports, after the weekend.

I would go crazy if I got worked up every time a thai official says or does something stupid.

I know from my experience with many different Thai consulates that very few follow the guidelines exactly and rarely are two the same.

I suggest people relax and wait and see what comes of this, my guess is it will be nothing, and all this ranting and raving may end up proving a bit silly.

"Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants"

regards... from, the new Government?

Anyone an idea what is going to come...?

:whistling:

I wouldn't be surprised if Non-Immigrant visa holders were next, having to show 5 million baht for application and 10 million for extension of the visa... :lol::rolleyes::blink:

Thailand is clearly against backpackers omg what happend to the former backpackers-heaven - time to move on to another countries. Let them build their family destionaion and lets go cambodia everybody!

Now backpackers have to book hotels or guesthouses to show the paper for their visa only to cancel it right after or what? looool

Edited by luvU2much500THB

Actually the world of Thai tourist visas doesn't always revolve around the posters here at Thaivisa. There seems to be a list of countries with more strengent requirements and none of these are western, mostly middle eastern and asian. The people from these listed countries may have been abuseing the tourist visa by working in restricted jobs reserved for Thais.

Yes the implementation of stricter rules for any sort of visa or entry into a country creates hardship for many but the rule changes are probably for the misuse of the visa for other than being a tourist.

The number of reports that we read here from (mostly European, US, and United Kingdom), people having multiply tourist visas and are living in Thailand is probably the tip of an ice berge compared to the number of people of other nations living and working on tourist visas in Thailand.

Edited by moe666

This is true...the page is from the Thai embassy in Cambodia's website (not the Thai MFA in Bangkok) and some of the provisions pertain to Cambodians nationals applying for tourist visas for Thailand. (like the copy of the ID card). As I have never reviewed this site before, I don't know if the airline/hotel reservation requirements are new or have always been there but ignored. One would have to check other local embassy/consulate sites in some other countries to see if this is a new policy from Bangkok or only particular to the Cambodian embassy.

If you then check the MFA's website for tourist visa issuance, while they mention the entry/exit flight ticket requirement (which has always been there but unenforced...at least for "desirable" tourists) the hotel reservation stuff is not listed. Therefore, likely it's just a local Cambo policy.

Interesting.

Not the first. I was hit with these EXACT restrictions way back in mars 2010 in the Thai Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina. To me it seems like the policy about issuing tourist visas vary among the various embassies. Never had problems getting a Thai visa in any other South American countries or Europe. I guess it is up to the individual consular/ambassador and now the embassy in Cambodia have tightened their policy.

With danger of getting this post deleted, I must say I am not impressed by the sensationalist style of Thai Visa. Seems like way to often they leave out crucial information just to make a "better" story.

WB

I would go crazy if I got worked up every time a thai official says or does something stupid.

I know from my experience with many different Thai consulates that very few follow the guidelines exactly and rarely are two the same.

I suggest people relax and wait and see what comes of this, my guess is it will be nothing, and all this ranting and raving may end up proving a bit silly.

IF YOU LIVED IN THAILAND LONG ENOUGH< YOU WOULD KNOW BETTER. I WAS IN CAMBODIA IN JULY AND WAS ASKED FOR AN EXIT AIRLINE TICKET FROM THAILAND.

Having just checked with the consulate in Birmingham (UK). If over 60 the only additional document now required is either confirmation of State Pension or bank statement with details of paying in of your pension. Other details .i.e. flight , hotel are not required.

Interesting.

The first reports we have were from Phom Penh, Cambodia (see the thread linked to in the OP). Our contact at the the visa section of MFA confirm this morning that they have contacted all Thai Consulates and Embassies about new requirements. I don't know more details at the moment, but guess we will have more info, and reports, after the weekend.

The Thais are just making it harder and harder to stay here and spend our dollars. Next they going to drop all fees again in order to get us back again.I dont think they know what they want. As some mention, Cambodia is LOTS easier, first get your normal 30 day visa than go to a travel office and get a ONE YEAR visa without any problems or papers needed.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

Actually the world of Thai tourist visas doesn't always revolve around the posters here at Thaivisa. The list of countries being affected by this didn't contain one Western country. It would seem that there is a lot of abuse of tourist visas by the citizens of the listed countries to cause the implementation of these new rules.

The listed countries have additional requirements (5 photos or making application in person only).

Just amazing how Thai people - mosty officials - always manage to cut off the tree branch they are sitting on. They create more and more obstacles for foreign Thailand lovers until they boil it up to the point when the majority of foreigners will simply stay away from this country for good due to a feeling of being "not welcome" here.

<snip>

and at a time when Viet Nam is making it easier for tourists by issuing VOA, not requiring you to state your entry and departure ports, scrapping immigration forms and for spouses issuing 5 year visa exemprions with no income proof.

In the given link by georges

http://www.mfa.go.th...01.php?&id=2815

I don't see any remarks about European, USA etc. countries .... I guess for this foreigner nothing have changed?

That link doesn't say that the tourist visa requirements are ONLY for those nationalities, just that those nationalities have to provide 5 copies of the photo and application.

Edited by PattayaParent

i guess im gonna just have to bite the bullet and go back to the uk for a week....i guess all they are trying to do is kick out foreigners with no money as a flight home and back is only around 500quid and then 100 or so for the visa....just a blooming pain in the a**. i was quite happy these last 2 years avoiding miserable broke britain and getting double tourist visas from local embassies....no fuss pay the money thank you sir.

Does all seem a bit crazy to me....the people you dont want here (criminals,pedos) usually just stay on overstay and disappear, though those of us that actually try and jump through the hoops when we are under 50, no thai company and are not working or studying (generous ex hubbie)are given more and more gyp.

For the first time ever in six years im gonna say it.......im thinking its time to leave to a country more welcoming to me and my money..... :(

Lot of open questions within that message... but having checked the homepage of the Embassy here in Switzerland, I do not see any change for tourists from Visa excempt countries.

I would therefore also assume that people who need a Visa and stay with friends, will need an invitation letter as they did before...

But then again... typical Thai way... issue new rules with immediate effect.... but don't be precise... and specially do not let the people know who must deal with it (consulates etc)... otherwise all the fun would be gone from issuing unclear rules :whistling:

I think this will be more to stop residents running to laos or cambodia for tourist visas - bet they won't have any restrictions like that if you fly in from europe or the US

Does not work. Has to be personal ownership of either condo (not house - or company - or stocks Etc.), time deposit in gov. bank or Thai bonds bought directly.

Cheers!

What about if your property is in a company name?

if its your company name i have no clue .... my answers would be pure speculation so I prefer pass.....

To be honest I cant see them checking flights. When you book online you just get an email confirming your booking. You could send them an email with any dates they would accept it

Airlines are going to love this, restrictions so simple a child can bypass them but cause airlines headaches.

One way to handle this is you book some air fare first class refundable and there you go, get your docs and cancel for a refund.

You book a hotel well in advance, get booking receipt, and then cancel the res more than 3 weeks out and no penalty.

Use a credit card for these and it's a walk in the park. If you want to get tricky, buy travel insurance and once you have all your travel docs cancel the trip and lose only the insurance premium.

If I already have a double entry tourist visa. I'm going out at the end of this month and comes back the next day for my 2nd entry.

Will they ask for flight confirmation/departure proof? I will register next week for Thai school (ED VISA) but I don't think

I will get it on time before my 1st entry expired.

Any feedback?

Thx

MFA web site

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

A person, single. 20,000 baht. Is this 20,000 baht money in the bank? Monthly income? Gross income over the 60 days of the visa? Evidence of 20,000 baht where and when and how?

Thailand is clearly against backpackers omg what happend to the former backpackers-heaven - time to move on to another countries. Let them build their family destionaion and lets go cambodia everybody!

Now backpackers have to book hotels or guesthouses to show the paper for their visa only to cancel it right after or what? looool

Backpackers are not a priority for intelligent tourism ministries because backpackers do nearly nothing for the economy. Surfers are about the same and tennis players as well. These categories are typically cheap and do not contribute much to the tourism infrastructure in particular or the general economy as a whole.

Financial requirement is in cash when asked at Consulate or border - normally it is not asked unless you appear down and out but is sometimes and in that event you can show the money or make a trip to an ATM to get. It dates back to when cash/travelers checks were normally with traveler and intended to prove you can pay your hotel bills and other expenses during your stay.

MFA web site

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

A person, single. 20,000 baht. Is this 20,000 baht money in the bank? Monthly income? Gross income over the 60 days of the visa? Evidence of 20,000 baht where and when and how?

Believe this was the rule back in 2006, I know people that update there bank book before doing a Visa run or getting a new Visa, as Evidence of 20,000 baht if ever asked. so that is nothing new.

I have just copied this from the UK Thai embassy web page. No mention of other changes or anything in the 60 day visa section only this below.

The Thai authorities have recently announced changes to the way in which they will deal with tourists entering Thailand for up to 30 days without a valid visa and as there is some confusion as to the exact meaning of this announcement we hope that this explanation will help clarify the situation.

The most important point to understand is that this only affects people who do not have a valid visa. If you have a valid visa there is no change at all to the way your travel arrangements will be dealt with and you need read no further.

If you are entering the Kingdom of Thailand without a valid visa there is a concession which allows you to do so providing that the following conditions are ALL fulfilled.

1. Your Passport is on a list of passports approved for this purpose. It is likely to be but please check if you are in doubt.

2. Your visit to the Kingdom of Thailand is for tourism purposes only.

3. You hold a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within 30 days direct from a Thai airport. Please note that you must travel by air and travel from an an airport outside of Thailand does not count.

This has been the rule for many years and nothing has changed in this regard. The only thing that has changed is that these rules are going to be applied more strictly than in the past. This means that you will not be allowed into the Kingdom of Thailand without a valid visa unless you can fulfil all of the above conditions. In addition to this anyone who has entered the three times in succession without a valid visa will be automatically barred from entering the Kingdom under any circumstances for 90 days from the date of the last exit.

Note that this enforcement of the current rules are intended to end the practice of a person without a valid visa going to the border every 30 days.

Please also be aware that Airlines often check if passengers have either a valid visa or a return ticket within 30 days and will exclude you from boarding a flight to Thailand if you have neither. The Thai authorities have asked Airlines to be more vigilant in this respect.

The last point is that this 30 days only applies if your total stay is up to 30 days. It is not a free 30 days which can be added to the length of your visa as some people seem to think.

Kind Regards

Geoff Howard, Hon Consul for Thailand.

Only if one wants to stay longer than 30 days (for most tourists). As for the backpackers, believe me, they are crawling all over Cambodia already!