Old Pictures Of Siam In Czech Republic

sbk

Very old story but I wonder if anyone knows what happened to these photos?

Century-old pictures of Siam currently kept in the Czech Republic will be photo-copied and brought to Bangkok later this month.

Permanent Secretary for Culture M.R. CHAKRAROT CHITRABONGS (จักรรถ จิตรพงษ์) disclosed on Friday(October 3) that about 150 photographs of Siam taken between the times of King Rama IV and King Rama VII are kept at a national museum in the Czech Republic. These old photos, taken and collected by a Czech photographer, feature royal ceremonies, stage shows and the lifestyle of the people in those days.

These photographs which had remained unheard of in Thailand will be copied and brought to the capital, the Permanent Secretary said.

M.R. CHAKRAROT said that he would ask to buy the originals, though the Czech authorities might not agree to their sale.

Reporter : Namfon

News Date : 05 October 2003 (PRD)

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=254610070066

can't answer your question, but I'll ask another in case a forum historian has an answer for me

We're in Chanthaburi, the province was under French rule/occupation about 1893-1906, a cafe in the city has some photos taken in this era, French officers walking through the riverside markets of Chantaboon, the French prison at Laem Sing; 2 weeks ago a history programme on the local TV channel showed some of the same pics.

Tried numerous web searches, no success. Cafe bought them as prints 'somewhere' there's no ID/dates on them.