Successfully Obtained Multiple Non-Imm Ed Visa

Figured this might help a few people here, in light of recent developments in visa restrictions. Unfortunately they can only be issued to applicant if all required documents are received and the application is sent from USA sender and returned to a USA address.

My best advice is to use a private carrier. International EMS is not guaranteed, despite what the clerk may tell you. Plus, USPS tracking is horrible. 4 days delay caused an extra 11 days in Malay, as i got caught in 2 weekends. Fedex can do 3 business days to Malaysia. Request Saturday delivery if mailing on a Wed. Alternatively, you could call on saturday around 10AM and request it be left for pickup at the warehouse location (not airport....the industrial complex a few km from airport). This google maps takes you to the location almost precisely....it's the next street over. They close at appx 2pm saturdays and 6 or 7pm mon-fri. inside the USA, friend, mail forwarder, or visa company can handle to/from consulate. I'm not sure how they handle non-usa passports. You'd have to follow up with consulate you work with. Good luck.

edit: visa was approved before 8/25.

Edited by 4evermaat

Beware, if they check the different immigration-stamps, they'd have noticed that you're staying in Malaysia at the time of application.

Don't know if that would be a reason to refuse your request.

Nope. Thai customs accepted the visa just like any other valid visa. It did appear he was looking to see where I went after I left thailand. Malay stamped my entry skipping a whole page and stamping at the BOTTOM of the second blank page. Those two pages were stuck together with the residual adhesive from the malaysia entry sticker tab. Then the new thai visa was on the following page. After he found that follow-on stamp, he proceeded to enter me into computer and gave me 90 day validity stamp. You would think the customs agents would be more sensitive towards their stamping.

My friend who has been doing this for years was also waiting for my feedback after getting in. The other alternative is to book a round trip ticket to USA with a wholesaler for about $1100 usd. I don't see what all the nervousness is about; why would a legitimate thai consulate issue a visa if it is not valid for entry?

I did inquire about the letter of residence (took a copy from this post). They said I have to go in town (Hat Yai). So it appears that the in-town immigration offices take care of this. Not necessarily the border immigration?

When I left malay, i forgot where I put my departure card. But he didn't care after he saw me fumbling around for a minute. They have the stamp in passport + a sticker tab. I don't see what the deal is with wanting the departure card. Turns out it was in the side pocket of laptop bag. Dont see why they just don't go paperless....guess it's a technicality.

How did you get a money order to pay for the visa? Care to share which consulate you used?

If you use a company that specializes in visa, they will do this for you. For example, http://www.visaexpress.net/ is located in texas. I used them to renew passport and also to get a china visa. Their rates are competitive, and they take credit cards (3% processing fee). Seemless processing and I like their online system that tracks everything and they go out of their way to make sure you pay attention to details. Make sure you give them required documents. I inquired about the thai visa 18 months ago when I was coming the first time (its not on their website) and they claimed they could make the non-imm happen. I had direct access to a thai honorary consulate, and my own fedex account so i ended up doing it myself. I trust myself.:D

If you use a forwarding company or a local friend, you basically have two options. Either ask the forwarder if they can do it for you, or use a 3rd party check service, such as your bank billpay or other check cutting service then combine . I think a forwarder works out a little better, mainly because that's what they do and combining multiple packages, expedited service, etc would not be a problem. Friends may not take it as seriously and want to come up with a gazzilion reasons why they "forgot" to check their mail, drop it off, etc. Especially when you have multiple steps. What one person says, and what the other person understands....blah blah blah.

I've also sent PM shortly.

Why would customs be looking at your passport? I think you mean Immigration.

right.

So you where sitting in Malaysia without a passport. Nice that it all worked out for you but mail does get lost

Would it have been any different if you gave it to some visa agent to do for you? Once it leaves your sight, you have no idea what happens. Passports and other important documents get mailed all the time. If it is that important, use a private carrier. EMS is at the bottom of list in this case, as the tracking and customs clearance is not consistent in every country.

Beware, if they check the different immigration-stamps, they'd have noticed that you're staying in Malaysia at the time of application.

Don't know if that would be a reason to refuse your request.

Perfectly fine, you simply have to be outside of Thailand. You do not need to be inside the country where the embassy or consul is.

Confirmed by (Thai Embassy UK, Thai consul UK, and UK embassy).

• Like 1

Perfectly fine, you simply have to be outside of Thailand. You do not need to be inside the country where the embassy or consul is.

Confirmed by (Thai Embassy UK, Thai consul UK, and UK embassy).

Some of the USA consul websites will say "applicants must be located in the US" . They go mainly by the address of the application sender, including honorary consulates.

I'm not in the Phuket forums much, so I don't see LivinLOS too much on the forum.

• 1 year later...

Did it again this year. Got the O category instead of ED, but its all the same. The fee is now $200.

Fedex seems to only take 2 days now from malay to usa for document envelopes. Make sure to have 4 copies minimum of the shipping label / customs form in the pouch,

It might take 3 days coming back to malaysia. there is no place to sign the customs form, but i would sign it near the declaration on all copies.

With same day turnaround on all legs, it took 8 days. the rapid penang bus system is effective and i recommend using it (a weekly pass if possible). You call fedex malaysia (free with local 800 number) to schedule pickup. Request 2 LEGAL size envelopes.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

Edited by 4evermaat

What is done about the address and phone numbers? Dont you need to show a ticket in and out for at least O visa?

WDC would NOT be the place to send you lr packet incidentally. Ive been hassled by them for TRs for many years. Half the time I got a call and 3rd degree.

Edited by bangkokburning

What is done about the address and phone numbers? Dont you need to show a ticket in and out for at least O visa?

WDC would NOT be the place to send you lr packet incidentally. Ive been hassled by them for TRs for many years. Half the time I got a call and 3rd degree.

I have no idea who WDC is. The address and phone # can be that of who is in the usa or whatever country that is handling the domestic legs.

Remenber that you are already in contact with the honorary consulate via email, so you already know the required documents depending on visa requested.

No onward plane ticket needed. Why would someone purchase a plane ticket BEFORE they got permission to go somewhere.

Use billpay, usd money order, or your own checkbook if you brought it to forward visa fee payment. You might be able to wrap cash in the express envelope, but do use that as last resort.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, ok so let's run down this sequence of events: 15 months ago you go to KL so you can send your USA passport to the US Consulate - wait I mean friend who then sent it to the consulate who sent it back to friend who sent it back to you in KL. It arrived in 3 weeks so around 20 hotel nights give or take. This time you streamlined and went to the closer city of Penang. Last time it was a multi-ED 1 year visa. Did you actually go to school? Wait dont have to answer that. So this time you went for a retirement O Multi? Or marriage? ok so you got it back much faster this time with fed ex. Only thing I'm wondering is whether there are local consulates where you could have gotten these visas without the passport sending

Whoa, ok so let's run down this sequence of events: 15 months ago you go to KL so you can send your USA passport to the US Consulate - wait I mean friend who then sent it to the consulate who sent it back to friend who sent it back to you in KL. It arrived in 3 weeks so around 20 hotel nights give or take. This time you streamlined and went to the closer city of Penang. Last time it was a multi-ED 1 year visa. Did you actually go to school? Wait dont have to answer that. So this time you went for a retirement O Multi? Or marriage? ok so you got it back much faster this time with fed ex. Only thing I'm wondering is whether there are local consulates where you could have gotten these visas without the passport sending

Last time it took a little longer mainly because EMS delay. Usd fedex the rest of the way, but got caught on another weekend and saturday delivery was not requested. With same-day turnaround, it was supposed to be 8-10 calendar days max, which was the case this time around. Penang both times. 250-300 baht/night for private room, although you can go cheaper if you look around and/or are willing to do the bunk thing; I prefer the quieter guesthouses. And an extra 100-200 baht if you want air con and/or private bath. Including the visa costs and the postage, budget 16500-24000 baht ($550-800) depending on your eating habits and whether or not air con is essential. 60-150 baht you can have a plate full of food with leftovers and a nice fresh fruit juice. Komtar shopping mall and public air con bus system can take you just about anywhere you need to go for under 30 baht each way; motorbike rental is not essential (I rented motorbike last time 180 baht/day for a manual with 1 week rental.)

Previously the last 2 times the Non-ED multiple was with diving shops, each with a very flexible course schedule.

The most recent was a non-O multiple based on visiting family (Thai child); english copy of birth certificate was sufficient proof in my case although Your Consulate May Vary (YCMV). I vetted the different regional consulates neighboring Thailand and unless you are retired or married to a thai national (KL, or Savanakhet, Laos), it is difficult to obtain a non-[any category] multiple.visa. Again, YCMV, but I prefer to bet on sure things. My process is legit and straightforward.

I was talking with one guy who has a travel business here and he works with a company that charges 70,000 baht or so to get a legit Non-B multiple visa, I think you still have to leave the country etc, but I forgot which consulate he goes to. I can get the full details, but when I raised an eyebrow at the price I do remember him saying that they 'take care of all the paperwork' and he's been doing it for several years and it was hassle-free so ermm.gifthumbsup.gif

watch out for the school does not use their 90 days papers for you , as this could spoil your multi entry status,i myself had 2 year ago sutch ED visa, and moderator on this forum warned me for that issue could happen, so i kept doing my visa runs instead of using school papers for the extension

Schools does not ee very often multiple ed visas , so they do notalways know how to handle those !!

advantage for doing border runs is that at border nobody ask you an Language exame as " big fish eating small fish" questionswink.png

• Like 1

You probably could of gotten the same visa by flying to Australia and making the application at one of the honorary Thai consulates there. Perhaps about the same cost or a little more without the worry of a lost passport.

This sounds like a good idea actually. Vet the consulate(s) that you will use ahead of time, stay at a motel or other budget hotel (1000 baht/night?). They should offer next day turnaround if not the same day. If you buy the ticket online ahead of time roundtrip, (1 month how much is that? Quick pricing at AirAsia shows 10,000 baht promo each way if I were to do it in February 2013 leave monday and come back on a thursday to Sydney with one stop in KL, malaysia. Maybe other airlines have a cheaper ticket price or i could use an offline consolidator that could cut that down even more? Lets assume the cheapest round trip ticket is 17000 baht. and two days for a budget hotel + bus and visa fee 9000 baht. 26000 baht. Not bad for a little extra peace of mind, and it would be quicker.

Au has it good. A one-way ticket can be as much as $900 from USA..

Last time it took a little longer mainly because EMS delay. Usd fedex the rest of the way, but got caught on another weekend and saturday delivery was not requested. With same-day turnaround, it was supposed to be 8-10 calendar days max, which was the case this time around. Penang both times. 250-300 baht/night for private room, although you can go cheaper if you look around and/or are willing to do the bunk thing; I prefer the quieter guesthouses. And an extra 100-200 baht if you want air con and/or private bath. Including the visa costs and the postage, budget 16500-24000 baht ($550-800) depending on your eating habits and whether or not air con is essential. 60-150 baht you can have a plate full of food with leftovers and a nice fresh fruit juice. Komtar shopping mall and public air con bus system can take you just about anywhere you need to go for under 30 baht each way; motorbike rental is not essential (I rented motorbike last time 180 baht/day for a manual with 1 week rental.)

Previously the last 2 times the Non-ED multiple was with diving shops, each with a very flexible course schedule.

The most recent was a non-O multiple based on visiting family (Thai child); english copy of birth certificate was sufficient proof in my case although Your Consulate May Vary (YCMV). I vetted the different regional consulates neighboring Thailand and unless you are retired or married to a thai national (KL, or Savanakhet, Laos), it is difficult to obtain a non-[any category] multiple.visa. Again, YCMV, but I prefer to bet on sure things. My process is legit and straightforward.

I was talking with one guy who has a travel business here and he works with a company that charges 70,000 baht or so to get a legit Non-B multiple visa, I think you still have to leave the country etc, but I forgot which consulate he goes to. I can get the full details, but when I raised an eyebrow at the price I do remember him saying that they 'take care of all the paperwork' and he's been doing it for several years and it was hassle-free so ermm.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a decent way for someone in that situation to get a 1 year multi. I did tourist visas for 7 years until I surprised myself by getting married. For most of those 7 years triple entry tourist visas were available in Penang until the red stamps came; then it was Vientiane for double entries; then a non-O single on retirement and single O marriage up to present 1 year Non-O multi. I'm sure your experience will help some people with the tightening up in present day

• Like 1

You probably could of gotten the same visa by flying to Australia and making the application at one of the honorary Thai consulates there. Perhaps about the same cost or a little more without the worry of a lost passport.

This sounds like a good idea actually. Vet the consulate(s) that you will use ahead of time, stay at a motel or other budget hotel (1000 baht/night?). They should offer next day turnaround if not the same day. If you buy the ticket online ahead of time roundtrip, (1 month how much is that? Quick pricing at AirAsia shows 10,000 baht promo each way if I were to do it in February 2013 leave monday and come back on a thursday to Sydney with one stop in KL, malaysia. Maybe other airlines have a cheaper ticket price or i could use an offline consolidator that could cut that down even more? Lets assume the cheapest round trip ticket is 17000 baht. and two days for a budget hotel + bus and visa fee 9000 baht. 26000 baht. Not bad for a little extra peace of mind, and it would be quicker.

If I were in your situation I wouldn't mess with your system that has worked well for you. Penang is a mellow spot to hang. I never change something that works

• Like 1

If I were in your situation I wouldn't mess with your system that has worked well for you. Penang is a mellow spot to hang. I never change something that works

My method is cheaper, and there are things to do in Penang for cheap. But I can understand the nervousness of having your documents change hands too often. UbonJoe has a point, but it relies on a professional Aussie thai consulate and buying the plane ticket far enough in advance and/or with an agent that can give you a good price on the ticket. Maybe New Zealand might be a better Western location?

There are actually some visa agents that you could use in the USA...but they want like $250-1000 for next day turnaround + fedex postage (retail rate) + visa fee. Do it yourself method with a regular mail forwarder or friend is more cost effective.

Edited by 4evermaat