German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

webfact

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

Just stay out of Phuket. I was there one time and felt uncomfortable. The police are useless and are not protecting anyone.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor guy. Nothing justifies the violence. I wish the dam_n psychopathic cowards would be found and punished, which will probably not happen.

Things can happen to anyone, but from what is reported, the guy made at least 4 mistakes, probably due to ignorance of the nature many of the workers in tourist areas.

1. Not negotiating trip price beforehand. Nobody is entitled to say what a "fair" price is. If the max is 200 Baht within Patong, expect that you may just be charged that price for a 1 km trip. Drivers in tourist areas must pay upwards in the system, and pay to get the job. Some years ago I heard prices from 50,000-100,000.

2. Getting into a heated discussion afterwards. For a 100 Baht difference, don't discuss anything. He made the mistake in (1) first. If he really feels that a charge is too absurd (some drivers might demand 500 or even a 1000, I have seen that lots of times), he must call the tourist police. Around Tai-Pan there are plenty of people.

3. Letting the discussion get physical. Never, never get physical with Thais in anger.

4. Not accepting help from the local guy, who could have softened up matters.

No the coma not justified, but a consequence of:

"A big German against a little Thai driver and then walking off drunk. No wonder they hate all of us if the facts are true"

They have no recourse if a big guy just wants to walk off without paying. Or do they? If so, kindly enlighten us.

Are you implying Thais lose fights ?? Doesnt sound like thats the case does it ??

I don't know if I am more tired of reading always the same story about tuktuk drivers in Phuket or by the fact that Thai-visa loves sharing those informations that will only end up by having a flood of comments on how tuktuk drivers are mafia, how corrupted is the police, how can one be stupid enough to believe that government will do something etc...

News are quite often the same and comments are quite often similar.

+ 1

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

An Australian staff member of the British Club in Bangkok was attacked Thursday evening by a taxi driver with a machette. 200 stiches, face, neck, and arms.

Not sure what happened preceeding the attack but this is not the kind of thing that happens in Singapore or Tokyo. Tourist office might want to get on this or planes will be empty again.

To: "Not sure what happened preceeding the attack"

More info or it's not worth much I'm affraid.

Advise: Before to take a Tuk-Tuk you have to ask in front (before) a price. If you agree with the prie use the Tuk-Tuk.

If you don't agree, then dont take the tu-Tuk. I took many times Tuk-Tuks in TH and always managed to ask the price in front.

When the price was ok, I took Tuk-Tuk.

...I ask myself, where this German has his brain....Has a wife there, but does not know the circumstances...Also he started to

kick the driver...What kind of behaviour ist that...

Not the finest art!

Edited by thaibestlover

I don't know if I am more tired of reading always the same story about tuktuk drivers in Phuket or by the fact that Thai-visa loves sharing those informations that will only end up by having a flood of comments on how tuktuk drivers are mafia, how corrupted is the police, how can one be stupid enough to believe that government will do something etc...

News are quite often the same and comments are quite often similar.

Don't read 'em then

Not excusing the thuggish behaviour but I would have walked the 800 meters. I need the exercise and the bonus is avoiding any dealings with these guys.

Its also best to ask the price before getting into the tuk tuk...

He was with his Thai wife? Ever met a Thai girl that wanted to walk anywhere more than 5m unless an ATM involved? :rolleyes:

Very strange...if his wife can't remember anything, how do they know all the details of what was happening before??? :ermm:

The brother of the wife was there. If he was the informant for the polce report it is odd that he doesn't remember the tuk tuk driver, but remembers the pushing by his German brother-in-law. Was he drunk as well?

Edited by kirk0233

Advise: Before to take a Tuk-Tuk you have to ask in front (before) a price. If you agree with the prie use the Tuk-Tuk.

If you don't agree, then dont take the tu-Tuk. I took many times Tuk-Tuks in TH and always managed to ask the price in front.

When the price was ok, I took Tuk-Tuk.

...I ask myself, where this German has his brain....Has a wife there, but does not know the circumstances...Also he started to

kick the driver...What kind of behaviour ist that...

Not the finest art!

How do you know he started kicking the driver? Did the driver report this to the police? Oh sorry, I forget, he has disappeared as usual with these cases.

Is he injured? who knows, he has disappeared .... we know one guy who really is injured though don't we. That is one FACT in this case to date.

I agree on one thing though, always set the fare beforehand.

Very strange...if his wife can't remember anything, how do they know all the details of what was happening before??? :ermm:

The brother of the wife were there. If he was the informant for the polce report it is odd that he doesn't remember the tuk tuk driver, but remembers the pushing by his German brother-in-law. Was he drunk as well?

I thought they "happened" to meet the brother afterwards, like coincidence .... (probably coincidence caused by wife calling him)

How could he be drunk? He's a fine upstanding motorbike taxi driver isn't he?

All the tuk tuk drivers in that downtown region know who the original butt plug tuk tuk driver is, and they know the identities of at least some of the thugs assaulted the farang. Why don't the cops just ask the tuk tuk drivers in that area? Oh, silly me, that won't happen, because people like that are incapable of telling the truth. Not one of those drivers has the ability to buck the trend of doing what they're expected to do: In other words: none can speak the truth.

Of course the mayor or governor of that region should grow a pair, and do the right thing, but that won't happen.

Yet another reason for this long-term Thai resident to avoid Phuket.

Really? I'm really confused by your comment. Your not sure which bothers you more?...a group of above the law thugs repeatedly hospitalizing tourists or news outlets reporting it and the subsequent peoples comments about it? Your solution then is to stop reporting it? Wow...I guess you got your priorities in line then. How about you just stop reading the news then? Problem solved.

This is becomeing a weekly thing. It's getting hard to keep all the tuk tuk beatings straight. Can nobody stop them?

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk Tuks in Patong

Tuk-tuks warned: ‘improve or die’

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk ‘bullies’

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

iPetition: Governor Wichai - ban the Phuket tuk-tuks!

Making Phukets Tuk Tuks, Taxi's Fair

Phukets tuk tuks shared among top officials

Tuk tuk problems solved soon: Phuket Governor

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

How do you get around Phuket cheaply?

Very good collection of links! Just hoping TAT 1) has a look here 2) understands what it means and 3) does something about it...

A one Km. meter taxi in Bangkok would only be 35 baht. *** the damned tuk tuks. They tried to rip me off for 400 baht for 4 people to go the same distance when I was there last year. I told them to *** off and I would walk rather than pay their extortion. The authorities do not care. The reason is simple, THAI RAK THAI and blood is thicker than water. As foreigners we do not matter. When the hell are people going to wake up and vote with their feet and walk? Let the bastards starve because the responsible parties will NEVER see the inside of a jail cell let alone be arrested for what they have done.

As far as I'm aware, Tuk Tuks don't offer discounts to Thais in Phuket, so it's not just foreigners who don't like them. Thais hate them too. By the way, is there any reason to tell a tuk tuk driver to F@~k off because you don't like his price? Do you do this when you go to the market in Thailand? I didn't think so. You're lucky he didn't smack you in the mouth. I for one would have had no sympathy.

All the tuk tuk drivers in that downtown region know who the original butt plug tuk tuk driver is, and they know the identities of at least some of the thugs assaulted the farang. Why don't the cops just ask the tuk tuk drivers in that area? Oh, silly me, that won't happen, because people like that are incapable of telling the truth. Not one of those drivers has the ability to buck the trend of doing what they're expected to do: In other words: none can speak the truth.

Of course the mayor or governor of that region should grow a pair, and do the right thing, but that won't happen.

Yet another reason for this long-term Thai resident to avoid Phuket.

That would assume the mayor or governor gained power for the purpose of doing the right thing ...

Just watching "Boardwalk Empire" at the moment, an HBO series about the prohibition, and how it went down in Jersey, Chicago, and New York. Great TV, and seems very similar to modern Thailand. People just gaining power in order to make money. Its really not that complicated is it.

History repeating, just in a different place.

This list, thank you ScubaBuddha, needs to be circulated to as many travel websites as possible!

I agree with you. They can only and only live from the tourists. That´s it.

I had a bad experince too. For a long time I am not using a Tuk Tuk any more.

Cheers

Skiller

Wifes interview on the 'not named' site states she didnt see him hit the driver..

It also seems like there was just an 'insta-mob' at the scene not further away as previously sounded.

i do believe the other paper has better reporters then the PG, but thats a personal opion

anyway, now she has been interviewed, the turn of events seem to be alot different

1) the fare was 100 THB, paid for by the Thai to the Thai , but then 200 was asked for

2) she nver sw the assult

3) it happen directly after they got out

4) The Camera's - I find it hard to believe the camera's didnt pick anything up, are there operators on these camera's???????? or are they just there? , as CCTV do work, take the london riots as an example , they caught everything, plus Tai Pan has camera's, and there is even CCTV covering that spot !

I think more will come out, but they are protecting the TUK TUK scum

when they do, or if they do catch these animals, do what the UK done with the riotors and set an example on these Men, Attempted murder, thats 20 years in the monkey house

A one Km. meter taxi in Bangkok would only be 35 baht. *** the damned tuk tuks. They tried to rip me off for 400 baht for 4 people to go the same distance when I was there last year. I told them to *** off and I would walk rather than pay their extortion. The authorities do not care. The reason is simple, THAI RAK THAI and blood is thicker than water. As foreigners we do not matter. When the hell are people going to wake up and vote with their feet and walk? Let the bastards starve because the responsible parties will NEVER see the inside of a jail cell let alone be arrested for what they have done.

As far as I'm aware, Tuk Tuks don't offer discounts to Thais in Phuket, so it's not just foreigners who don't like them. Thais hate them too. By the way, is there any reason to tell a tuk tuk driver to F@~k off because you don't like his price? Do you do this when you go to the market in Thailand? I didn't think so. You're lucky he didn't smack you in the mouth. I for one would have had no sympathy.

a) He didn't just get smacked in the mouth.

B) If it had been a Thai getting into the Tuk-Tuk alone, the price would not have been 200B, it would have been a fair price. The driver would never think to have charged a "take the piss" price. I've never had a single problem for 10 years in Thailand because I speak Thai and Thais know I know the price. But when friends come over, they get asked all kinds of outrageous amounts.

We are still presuming he didn't agree a price in advance. Again, another unknown until he wakes up. Perhaps he did agree but the driver thought he was drunk so would re-negotiate at the end? Total conjecture on my part of course, but so is the conjecture that he told the driver to fuc_k off or kicked him or pushed him over in the road or whatever ...

A Thai on their own would never pay 200B, a Thai with a farang might well ... (get the farang to pay it) ... just depends on their character.

Wifes interview on the 'not named' site states she didnt see him hit the driver..

It also seems like there was just an 'insta-mob' at the scene not further away as previously sounded.

i do believe the other paper has better reporters then the PG, but thats a personal opion

anyway, now she has been interviewed, the turn of events seem to be alot different

1) the fare was 100 THB, paid for by the Thai to the Thai , but then 200 was asked for

2) she nver sw the assult

3) it happen directly after they got out

4) The Camera's - I find it hard to believe the camera's didnt pick anything up, are there operators on these camera's???????? or are they just there? , as CCTV do work, take the london riots as an example , they caught everything, plus Tai Pan has camera's, and there is even CCTV covering that spot !

I think more will come out, but they are protecting the TUK TUK scum

when they do, or if they do catch these animals, do what the UK done with the riotors and set an example on these Men, Attempted murder, thats 20 years in the monkey house

well there you go ...... the price was agreed in advance it seems, but the driver got greedy because he could smell the alcohol.... not typical of Thais in general, but certainly typical of low-life tuk-tuk drivers in Patong.

There has to be point in time when this ends.

TUK TUKS are part of the tourist industry.

Whether they like it or not tourists are occasionally drunk or rude, That is the nature of the business.

So if they can't tolerate it they maybe should go to work in all the lucrative non tourist jobs....such as farming a rai of rice paddy..or working in a factory 6.5 days a week for 7000 baht a month...or fishing with a bamboo cane...or selling chicken to students for 10 baht a piece.

If that seems like a bum rap, then perhaps they should try being a bit more happy and friendly and DOING their job, otherwise there will be no more tourists left and they will have no choice...or maybe they would like to try a one on one with a real man, no friends no weapons.... any tuk tuk driver reading wants it PM me....name and address provided you cowardly small d@c#d pieces of excrement.

Actually its all part of the issue.. theres about 600 tuktuks in the Patong group (theres others too like saloon cars) according to published figures.. They pay 10k a month in member fees.. So Pians son sits o top of the administration of 6 mil in monthly federation fees..

That buys a lot of non working video cameras !! They are paying a fee, and they know that is 'protection' hence they are merely getting their moneys worth out of the situation. Totally logical from that point of view.

Probably the best answer you will find is highlighted above in bold type.