German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

webfact

Have you ever had a problem with them personally?

ain

You didn't answer the question. :whistling:

Many times. Every time I go to park in a free area close by their area, they say " no cannot tuk tuk only" Now why don't you answer all my unanswered questions? What are you afraid of, they're innocent questions that will either give you credibility or take away your nonsense defense of these illiterate thugs.

What questions? You questioned the amount of time I've been in Thailand, and you got it wrong. What else did I fail to answer?

I guess you missed the post below, but totally acceptable for a tuk tuk shill. Every side needs to have a dog in the fight eh?

>>>>If you've lived here a decade, why don't you have your own car? Surely you or someone you know can be the designated driver if you're not capable of driving. It would be much cheaper to have your own car than to pay for a tuk tuk to and fro each day. BTW, how do you get around every day besides taking a tuk tuk seeing as how you said you have taken tuk tuks for 10 years? That must be expensive hiring a tuk tuk for 10 years day in and day out. Surely you're not a tourist based on your responses of taking these safe, air conditioned fully licensed vehicles for 10 years running.

In regards to the once or twice a year whack, change that to per week ( per reported incident)s and you will be closer to the actual truth. Don't tell me you're BTB reincarnanted :).

>>Why is it tens of thousands of people can use them without a problem,

Are you kidding? I am in front of a tuk tuk stand a few days a week after enjoying the beach and there are problems with a quite a few people daily, it's only the serious incidents that get reported.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you missed the post below, but totally acceptable for a tuk tuk shill. Every side needs to have a dog in the fight eh?

Ermm OK, I do have my own car. Who likes being a designated driver :bah: . Money isn't an issue. I didn't say I took tuk tuks every day for 10 years, you made that up. Yes I'm technically a tourist.

Is that all your very clever questions answered? I think it is.

Of course he's BTB. What other phuket shill will defend feebly the tuk tuk thugs. Funny enough in another thread he says he's here 9 months/year, but in this thread it's almost 180 days per year. Which is it BTB/Illogician?

I know you would like to think that everyone on this forum is the norm, and moaning about every last thing is cool. The fact of the matter is my opinion is much more the norm than you will ever realise, it's just that his forum is breeding ground for people with no experience of Phuket, and lots of old residents that love to moan about everything. All the people that agree with me can't be assed to come on a forum and say so. You take out the people who have never been to phuket, and the group of regular moaners, and the thread would look very different.

Ermm OK, I do have my own car. Who likes being a designated driver :bah: . Money isn't an issue. I didn't say I took tuk tuks every day for 10 years, you made that up. Yes I'm technically a tourist.

Is that all your very clever questions answered? I think it is.

So in your words BTB, you're a tourist, rarely take a tuk tuk, bu't don't want to have a friend drive you, and have never experienced a problem with a tuk tuk because you negotiated with the driver for the extortionate fare that was asked. Good onya mate. Phuket tuk tuks need more quality tourists like you. I guess what you're saying is you've got minimal friends, don't go out muchand can't deal with the outside world, that's why you never attend any TV get togethers.

Read the post about your motorbike pics. ;)

If it's common knowledge you have a new user name after being banned, then isn't it a bit hypercritical to throw that at me?

No, not hypocritical at all. I haven't denied it, yet, you deny being BTB when you so obviously are.

Seems you're a liar.

Edited by KarenBravo

So in your words BTB, you're a tourist, rarely take a tuk tuk, bu't don't want to have a friend drive you, and have never experienced a problem with a tuk tuk because you negotiated with the driver for the extortionate fare that was asked. Good onya mate. Phuket tuk tuks need more quality tourists like you. I guess what you're saying is you've got minimal friends, don't go out muchand can't deal with the outside world, that's why you never attend any TV get togethers.

I have minimal friends on Phuket by choice. I go out a healthy amount for a married man with a family that doesn't feel the need to visit girlie bars as so many do. I go out every day and have no problems dealing with anybody or anything. It's not me who can't use tuk tuks without being scared of getting beaten up. I never attend any of the TV get togethers and it would seem nor does anybody else, going on the turn out of the last one.

The fact is, I would bet a lot of money I have more experience with using TT's than the vast majority of people on this thread. The likes of the people that called that long list of links all leading to the same article, genius, and undeniable proof.

The vast majority of people use TT's with out a problem FACT. If you can't then that's your problem to deal with.

How can they have a rule that maximum fare regardless of distance is 200 baht ????

In Pattaya its 10 baht for a much longer distance,

Why is it so difficult to stop this , this is just like the jetski scams in Pattaya , the business is too lucrative.

And the police love to be a part of it.

Funny enough in another thread he says he's here 9 months/year, but in this thread it's almost 180 days per year. Which is it BTB/Illogician?

Who says both can't be true?

What if some one spent 9 months a year here for the last few years, but only spent 5 months a year here 4 years ago, and a few years before that only spent a couple of months a year here. What if that all added up to an average of about 180 days per year?

Check my post, I bet the word 'average' was used. ;)

Anyway, keeping it on topic, I bet I've spent more time here than the average of all contributers to this thread. And been in more tuk tuks.

How can they have a rule that maximum fare regardless of distance is 200 baht ????

In Pattaya its 10 baht for a much longer distance,

Why is it so difficult to stop this , this is just like the jetski scams in Pattaya , the business is too lucrative.

And the police love to be a part of it.

I think you just answered your own question. :)

That certain sub section you speak of have a pecuniary interest in Phuket as a tourist destination. That is why they always find some excuse.

I don't understand the appeal of Phuket. Yes, 15+ years ago it was very nice, not great, but very nice. Now the entire island is an ugly, poorly developed shithole, same as Samui. I hope the farangs fully invested in Phuket lose their shirts and get sent packing back to there home countries.

With all of the thousands of posts like this, you never get any follow up elaberation when asked. Why don't you buck the trend and answer me this.

Why because you don't like Phuket would you want every body there to lose their shirts?

Why do you care who else likes Phuket? Nobody cares that you don't like it, we're happy for you not to like it.

Would you not agree that it makes you sound bitter and twisted for wanting bad things to happen to people, just because they like a part of the world you don't?

You don't understand the appeal of Phuket. So what? I don't understand the appeal of Pataya but I don't wish any one who lives there bad luck.

Any responce, or just the usual hit and run style of posting?

Let's see, I don't answer your questions because I don't care. What do you consider this, a debating society? I gave my opinion, shared by most as far as I can tell. The connection is clear, both for the apologists for the criminals and these local "honorary consuls". They have a financial interest, and don't want Phuket's reputation ruined by all the bad actors there. Just smooth it all over, things aren't that bad. That's why it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if the farang property developers and bar owners went bust.

Clear enough, son?

I am on first name bases with all motos and took-tooks around where i live. I buy them beers once in a while. The dividends are way worth it. I seen how they attack as a pack, so nice to have that pack on your leash.

Use your head, this the wild west and if you don't like it, need a safety net, are too green to adapt, not street smart, you gonna get used and abused.

Precisely,

Develop assets, not enemies,

A beer here, a smile there, the occasional generous tip, can go a long way.

Seasoned travelers know they're a long way from home with no support network,

You have to be cautious in all aspects, any tools you can use or practices that are put into place can be a life saver when a crisis or FUBAR situation develops.

Edited by cobra

I really believe the German refused to pay $100 baht and pushed the driver down....I really, really, really do. No witnesses so that's the official story.

If I could publish one message to the world it would be 'DON'T DRINK AND DON'T GO TO PHUKET"!

I really believe the German refused to pay $100 baht and pushed the driver down....I really, really, really do. No witnesses so that's the official story.

If I could publish one message to the world it would be 'DON'T DRINK AND DON'T GO TO PHUKET"!

First we're not allowed to go to Phuket, and now we can't even have a drink. :lol:

What's planet are you people on? :blink:

I just read the interview on the other site and yet I still see no mention of the price being agreed before the journey started. Will someone tell me exactly where this information is please.

The wife also said that she didn't see anything, except maybe some shirt grabbing. :o How exactly do you see nothing except maybe something?

She also confirmed that the driver wasn't involved, so who says the attackers were tuk tuk drivers, and not just people hanging around?

The truth is, the only reliable info we have is the account from the brother in law, who you would assume isn't bias. He clearly says the German refused to let him settle the matter peacefully.

I'm sure Mrs. Trotnow's brother can reveil the motorbike taxi driver and maybe even the gang of assaultants - - NOT

Risking your life for THB 100 is meaningless. Downing the driver was not very smart...

Stay away from the Patong rat hole.

Ex zac cory!dumb!! to knock down a mafia member and the wife didnt help the poor old ATM man it sounds at all.

So learn the ropes in Thailand negotiate b4 taking a Taxi get a new wife and brother in law and take a compulsory course in how not to get beaten up when drunk in thailand for as you say a meaningless 100 bht and stay away from the rat holes of phuket and pataya.

Every single person I know who has lived here over a year has had one or another bad thing happen to them(stabbed,robbed,attempted rape,assault strong arm robbery,accidents,hit and runs,shake downs)

Time you get to know me, and many of my friends, who have never experienced anything like this.

Every single person I know who has lived here over a year has had one or another bad thing happen to them(stabbed,robbed,attempted rape,assault strong arm robbery,accidents,hit and runs,shake downs)

Time you get to know me, and many of my friends, who have never experienced anything like this.

You must be living a very quiet life Steven if you & friends have not experienced at least one thing on that list. I have experienced 4 things on that list, and friends/customers have experienced quite a number of things on that list. I'm not saying it happens daily or even frequently, but there is no doubt that robbery, assault, accidents, shake downs are not unusual.

Well then you and your friends are lucky maybe I need new friends! I myself have only had minor issues not being on my toes never a fear of violence most Thais are actually pretty nice. Most of the things the people above had happen were crimes of opportunity. The attempted rape was a woman being too drunk and not being smart about late night cab rides(grabbed her breasts and inside leg). The strong arm assault was on a SA female teacher she got punched and the guy tried to take her ring. The stabbing was over someone getting in between a Thai and farang fight over completely stupid crap. The accidents and shake downs are how they do business here pay 5k or it goes to the police station and they do not side with you. Robberies were both bag snatches one cost my neighbor a ton. I live in Bkk(1Y) and none of these are second hand stories. Does it mean Thailand is anymore dangerous than a large American city HeLL No!! I have walked all over Bkk exploring all the great little ethnic enclaves and back streets except from an occasional old woman giving me the stink eye I have never had a problem. The people tend to be fairly friendly is these areas because they never see us there. Phuket is a nice place I had to pay 200Baht tea money for no helmet to me that was completely acceptable because I was not wearing a helmet and I did not want my girlfriend at the time getting a ticket. I don't ride Jetskis because it really is something you take a risk with. In the year I have been here opportunity always seems to be the name of the game.

Perhaps you are lucky. What is your authority that "tens of thousands of people" can use them without a problem?

The number of tourists that flood through the airport every day and leave 2 weeks later with a big grin on their faces, making plans for their holiday here next year.

Compared to the 5 or 6 well known cases of assault by TT drivers, half of which were probably instigated by a belligerent Farang.

I've used tuktuks in many different cities in the LOS. There have been occasional disputes, but they are rare. However, as I stated previously, the one and only time I used a tuktuk in Phuket I was cheated in a manner conisitent with the incidents reported by others.

Regarding your assumption that "The number of tourists that flood through the airport every day and leave 2 weeks later with a big grin on their faces" equates to being treated honestly by tuktuk drivers is folly. I surmise that they, like me, did not allow a negative tuktuk experience(s) ruin their holliday.

You must be living a very quiet life Steven if you & friends have not experienced at least one thing on that list. I have experienced 4 things on that list, and friends/customers have experienced quite a number of things on that list. I'm not saying it happens daily or even frequently, but there is no doubt that robbery, assault, accidents, shake downs are not unusual.

You're right, I overlooked accidents. Has happened to me once here, and does happen to others as well. That is IMO a different league though from 'stabbings, robbery, attempted rape, assault, strong arm robbery, hits and runs, shake downs'. I can't say I lead a quiet life, am out and about a lot, but looks to me like it depends on the social circles you're in if you have these things happen to you.

Well then you and your friends are lucky maybe I need new friends! I myself have only had minor issues not being on my toes never a fear of violence most Thais are actually pretty nice. Most of the things the people above had happen were crimes of opportunity. The attempted rape was a woman being too drunk and not being smart about late night cab rides(grabbed her breasts and inside leg). The strong arm assault was on a SA female teacher she got punched and the guy tried to take her ring. The stabbing was over someone getting in between a Thai and farang fight over completely stupid crap. The accidents and shake downs are how they do business here pay 5k or it goes to the police station and they do not side with you. Robberies were both bag snatches one cost my neighbor a ton. I live in Bkk(1Y) and none of these are second hand stories. Does it mean Thailand is anymore dangerous than a large American city HeLL No!! I have walked all over Bkk exploring all the great little ethnic enclaves and back streets except from an occasional old woman giving me the stink eye I have never had a problem. The people tend to be fairly friendly is these areas because they never see us there. Phuket is a nice place I had to pay 200Baht tea money for no helmet to me that was completely acceptable because I was not wearing a helmet and I did not want my girlfriend at the time getting a ticket. I don't ride Jetskis because it really is something you take a risk with. In the year I have been here opportunity always seems to be the name of the game.

Thanks. That sounds a lot more positive than your original post on this.

How do you know this guy knocked the tuktuk guy down ?? Because the tuktuks said so ?? Because the Pol Major made such a big deal about it (how is it the pol major knows with such certainty what happened the first time, so much so that they intend it seems to charge the German, yet has no CCTV / witness / or other data at all to what happened moments later in the same place ?? Odd that).

We now have the wife on record as saying she paid.. And she had the miss understanding and gave a thai type price.. And that she didnt witness the guy push the driver down..

So you're going to right off everybody elses account of what happened, and put all your faith in to what the bokes wife said. :D She won't be bias much will she. :whistling: I remember you telling stories about you and your mates being drunk and fighting with tuk tuk drivers, because they wouldn't take you to the top of the big hill you lived on, so I will reiterate my opinion. If you are not drunk, and you aren't a <deleted>, then you will never have any problems with tuk tuks. In fact the drunk bit has got nothing to do with it, just not being a <deleted> is enough. ;)

No I am saying we dont know.. You neatly edited the post to remove what I was quoting, where you assert that 'the drunk farang assaulted the poor thai local etc' with some conviction.

And yes, when the tuktuks changed the price agreed mid route, after directly specifying the location and agreeing a normal (high) going rate, my housemate refused to pay the increase. When the Thai then acted threatening and get out his little billy club to act pushy (and threaten an assault) and extort the new fee with menaces my buddy called him on it.. But one on one, even armed, he suddenly had a change of heart about how brave he was.

Note also, the farang kept his end, the farang didnt start the physical confrontation and the farang wasnt armed. All 3 strikes were on the tuktuk driver.. Plus when having the upper hand he didnt pursue it or continue it, and paid the agreed fare (not like 10 on 1 laying the boot in when someones already down is it) The farangs only crime was not allowing himself to get bent over and extorted on a changed price deal.

When threatened what do you do ?? Just hand over what they demand ??

OK well if you choose to believe it or not.. it happens and not as some once in a blue moon chance either.

Have an unusual or out of the way destination, and no matter how clear the discussion. They just demand more.. Or your dumped in the dark... And still expect full agreed payment.

The thing is 'LivinLOS', you knew from experience that they didn't want to drive you up that hill, yet you never did anything clever to fix the problem, instead choosing to wake all your neighbours up fighting in the street at 4am. :annoyed: All you had to do is negotiate a price to the bottom of the hill, and then negotiate another 50/100 baht to the top once you had got there. It would cost you the same price give or take, and it would remove any chance the driver had to go back on his deal to take you to the top.

For some people the easy, peacefull solution to problems is of no interest. After all, what would you have to moan about if you did every thing the easy way. ;)

First the top of hill villas were all unoccupied except mine, and we were the end end of the rd.. No bother there..

Secondly when booking the tuktuk it was specified every time through bitter experience 'top of the hill' yes 'up the hill' yes.. not the bottom, not sun hill hotel.. the top' yes.. bon phu khow chai mai ?? Chai chai..

And yet its still the farangs fault ?!?!

No when booking the tuktuk it was clearly discussed

Funny enough in another thread he says he's here 9 months/year, but in this thread it's almost 180 days per year. Which is it BTB/Illogician?

Who says both can't be true?

What if some one spent 9 months a year here for the last few years, but only spent 5 months a year here 4 years ago, and a few years before that only spent a couple of months a year here. What if that all added up to an average of about 180 days per year?

Check my post, I bet the word 'average' was used. ;)

Anyway, keeping it on topic, I bet I've spent more time here than the average of all contributers to this thread. And been in more tuk tuks.

OK so your a tourist.. I wouldnt expect them, especially one who doesnt go out to girly bars, to have much inkling of what these groups are like during the night in the Patong areas.

The victim, Kurt Trotnow, 53, and his wife took a tuk-tuk from Aroonsom Plaza to the Tai Pan nightclub, Capt Teerasuk said.

"When they arrived, the driver charged them 200 baht, but Mr Trotnow insisted paying only 100 baht," said Capt Teerasuk.

"They had an argument, and Mr Trotnow pushed the driver down onto the road and walked away," said Capt Teerasuk.

"They happened to meet a brother of Mr Trotnow's wife. The brother operates a motorcycle taxi there and he tried to help by offering to pay 100 baht of the fare, but Mr Kurt didn't agree," he said. (Capt Teerasuk)

The couple then started walking back towards Aroonsom Plaza when they were set upon by a gang of men. (acc. To Capt Teerasuk??)

Some of the attackers reportedly kept kicking Mr Trotnow while he was on the ground, then ran away, Capt Teerasuk said.

This captain seems to know aw awful lot, bearing in mind that neither the victim or his wife could report anything.

YES and i am sure that the brother of wife surely knows who the guilty person is, he could tell the police if they really wanted to know !