German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

webfact

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well theres further information on the news site that cannot be named.

They claim they did negotiate a fee first.. And the driver then doubled it once at the destination.

read that also , also read that nothing much can happen untill he wakes up as no witness or cctv footage, so he can identify the attackers, which got me thinking,

how , when he wakes up will that help, even if he remembers ? , which means they must have a good thought who did it ..... so he can possibly identify them with a photo

But what gets me is if they where proper police, it WOULD NOT BE HARD to identify them on CCTV, or they need to do is look at cctv after the attack on another camera after the scene... as the tuk tuk would be leaving empty !, also , she might regonise the tuk tuk or driver on another camera leaving, or at less narrow down the suspects, or even the door staff at Tai Pan would regonise them !

Why doesnt the Governer dip into his pockets and offer a 200K reward for the capture of the crooks who done this, to show he is willing to fight, and i bet another 200 K everyones memory would remember the attack !

This would be on Crime Watch if it was in the UK, just goes to show the police here have to clue how to investigate a crime

Well theres further information on the news site that cannot be named.

They claim they did negotiate a fee first.. And the driver then doubled it once at the destination.

The Phuket News seems to have yet another version where the wife told the police that they did agree the fare before setting off but agreed on 200 baht.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/wp-post.php?id=26587

Every single person I know who has lived here over a year has had one or another bad thing happen to them(stabbed,robbed,attempted rape,assault strong arm robbery,accidents,hit and runs,shake downs)

Time you get to know me, and many of my friends, who have never experienced anything like this.

Here is an other 1 :)

Let's see, I don't answer your questions because I don't care.

Fair enough mate. If you say so.

By the way, thanks for the answer. :lol:

Fair enough to you too, "mate". Selective quotes are so amusing.

For myself, I avoid Thai Issan males.

If anyone here thinks TV is anything more than a way to make money for the "businessmen" who run it, you are mistaken. Same with that lame Stickman in Bangkok, and the other English language news media here. Why not a secure proxy off to a country that doesn't mind if you name and shame all the bad actors, foreign and domestic, here?

You will not overcome the corruption in places like Phuket. There are way too many ricebowls involved. Say you brought in a bunch of metered taxis. What do you imagine will happen to the metered taxis? And the drivers? These are criminal gangs. The only real solution is to put them all away, with the possibility of going back to Issan to do something socially useful (like planting and harvesting rice).

They had a couple of polls within the last yearin Thailand where close to 70% of the respondents thought that corruption was just fine.

But I do love it here. Oh yes.

Edited by LivinginKata
remark removed

If anyone here thinks TV is anything more than a way to make money for the "businessmen" who run it, you are mistaken. Same with that lame Stickman in Bangkok, and the other English language news media here. Why not a secure proxy off to a country that doesn't mind if you name and shame all the bad actors, foreign and domestic, here?

You will not overcome the corruption in places like Phuket. There are way too many ricebowls involved. Say you brought in a bunch of metered taxis. What do you imagine will happen to the metered taxis? And the drivers? These are criminal gangs. The only real solution is to put them all away, with the possibility of going back to Issan to do something socially useful (like planting and harvesting rice).

They had a couple of polls within the last yearin Thailand where close to 70% of the respondents thought that corruption was just fine.

That is a telling statistic...so could one assume that a good percentage of the 70% are on the take, or at least benefitting from corruption in some way ??:ermm:

Man it would suck to be one of the 30%:rolleyes:

That is a telling statistic...so could one assume that a good percentage of the 70% are on the take, or at least benefitting from corruption in some way ??:ermm:

Man it would suck to be one of the 30%:rolleyes:

It's the same anywhere in the world. If people are the ones benefiting then it's not a problem. If they see other people benefiting and they're not, they call foul. Take nepotism as a perfect example. If you're the one not getting the job you cry and moan like a baby. If on the other hand you get offered the job, you don't turn around a refuse it do you. It's called having convenient principles.

Farang don't like being the ones that aren't in control. Especially when the people that are, are believed subconsciously (or very consciously) to be inferior as Thais often are.

Yes, I was fortunate there was no back up for the Thai guy.

There was hardly anyone around on the street that particular moment and when I looked around I noticed the guard at the bank building had been watching the whole incident and he did not say anything.

I did not feel good about what had happened and I was critical of myself for losing my self control and I did not think I was some sort of tough guy.

I just over powered him because he did not expect my reaction....and neither did I......but it was the gesture that he was going to Thai Box my face that made me so angry, as if I am supposed just cave into his threat to bully me into paying him

I know Thai people are not like that in general but that particular guy may have thought he was a tough guy Thai while stubbornly demanding what he wanted.

I really do not understand what was going on in his mind.

Anyhow, he probably tells everyone how the foriegner cheated him and he beat up the foriegner.

Edited by gemguy

Thanks to all those that posted here and pm'ed me about the list of links I compiled. Feel free to share it. It is by far not complete. There are a number of incidents I recall reading about which I couldn't find links to. There were quite a few more links from Phuketwan, Bangkok Post and Phuket-Info, but links to those sites are not allowed and got deleted. The list was originally longer.

How many people on this thread have actually been to Phuket and used Tuk tuks? I bet it's way less than half. So what does that mean. It means we have a huge amount of people that have nothing to go on but what they hear on forums like this. They then swallow it all up, and regurgitate back on to forums like this.

For all you people who applauded this post and automatically assumed it was hard evidence that proved beyond doubt how bad the tuk tuks are, here is a more accurate look at the list.

Link 1 is a story that mentions a well known case about a french man, and a well publicised case about a canadian. Both attacked, one very badly.

Link 2 is a question from someone who has never been to phuket, and gets some good advice as to how to avoid problems.

Link 3 Is a link to the same article in Link 1. :whistling:

Link 4 is a link to the same article in Link 1 & Link 3. :whistling:

Link 5 is a petition based on the attack on the French man mentioned in Link 1, Link 3 & Link 4. :whistling:

Link 6 is about how good taxis are in Singapore. :blink:

Links 7 & 8 are just general articles about how they plan on improving Tuk Tuks. No stories of particular events.

Link 9 is a link to a TV thread about the French attack mentioned in Link 1, Link 3, Link 4 and Link 5 :lol: . The story is dated from 2009 by the way.

I'm bored now, so you will have to take my word that the theme continues. A few more of the well known incicents but mainly just old TV threads about nothing, some dating back to 2005. :o There has only ever been a small handfull of serious, news worthy attacks on tourists by Tuk tuk drivers, I would say between 5 and 10 but probably nearer 5. Tell me any tourist destination in the world that wouldn't have the same handfull of horror stories.

Sorry I cannot address your comments about my list as they do not appear to correlate at all with the list of links I posted. I can't imagine you made your comments hoping no one would check the actual links against your claims. Perhaps you were referencing an earlier version of the links from a different thread?

Anyway, I made an effort to not post more than one link to the same incident unless it was carried by an international news source or website. The list would have been 5 times as long had I done that. Originally I made it to point out the amount of negative media reports there were online. I am curious why you think a story from 2009 is not relevant. Or a story from 1999 for that matter, of which there is one. If anything it shows the problem is not a new one.

For reference here is the list again:

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk Tuks in Patong

Tuk-tuks warned: ‘improve or die’

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk ‘bullies’

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

iPetition: Governor Wichai - ban the Phuket tuk-tuks!

Making Phukets Tuk Tuks, Taxi's Fair

Phukets tuk tuks shared among top officials

Tuk tuk problems solved soon: Phuket Governor

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

How do you get around Phuket cheaply?

Who's going to admit that long list of links was a pathetic attempt to exaggerate the truth? Nobody? Thought not. :(

Sorry, been traveling. :) I think nobody is going to argue with you because there is no argument to make. The list speaks for itself. Unless you are suggesting that the reports themselves are not true? Some vast conspiracy?

I can understand how you can feel the way you do if you have not worked or lived in the Patong/Kata/Karon area. If I was happy living in Kathu or Bang Tao, and hardly ever went to the populated tourist beaches, I would probably be ignorant of the problems as well. The people that have had to live and work there understand. The problem to us can not be summed up by a list of stories on the internet. To dismiss the problem simply by stating "If you don't like them, don't use them." shows an incredible ignorance of the scope of the problem and it's consequences. It goes way beyond extortionate fares and drunk tourist beat downs.

I will gladly explain to you the "truth about tuk tuks."

I couldn't count how many times I have been ushered from a public parking spot deemed "theirs". I know of cars that have been keyed and tires slashed. Parking in the tourist areas is a nightmare because the tuk tuks take up most the parking. They clog the roads trolling for fares or by parking in the red zone on Patong beach road, or parking halfway in the road in Kata/Karon, or by parking 2 or 3 abreast on Songroi Phi Rd. I don't like to hear how a female Thai friend of mine gets repeatedly stopped, questioned, and threatened by tuk tuk drivers at the entrance to resorts when she is picking up potential customers to look at properties. Then when she does use them, she is called a "whore" by on of them in front of her co-workers when she is bargaining for a cheaper fare. Nor do I like to hear about a tuk tuk driver brandishing a gun on a friend of mine. I didn't appreciate it when a tuk tuk struck my arm with his mirror when I was crossing a marked crosswalk. Nor did I appreciate when with no explanation the boss at the Kata beach tuk tuk stand left my student and I stranded when he refused to allow any of the tuk tuks under his control to return us and 3 tanks to the dive shop 800 meters away. The shop truck was not available). Their high fares and forceful, sometimes violent transportation monopoly protection activities robs Phuket's residents of reasonably priced mass transportation option which further clogs Phukets roads with motorbikes and cars. I have had a driver try to start a fight with me and my mates, and I have witnessed 20 or so drivers deliver a beatdown to 2 tourists at the top of Bangla. And lastly, I have already written here about the problems I have encountered with their insane driving habits, although that trait hardly unique.

These are the things that don't make the papers, but it is the current reality that all of us have to live with, and it needs to change. You can continue with your very impressive willful suspension of disbelief but it will not change the reality on the ground.

I agree, my list was a distortion of the truth. Things are far worse. My list doesn't do it justice.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Sorry I cannot address your comments about my list as they do not appear to correlate at all with the list of links I posted. I can't imagine you made your comments hoping no one would check the actual links against your claims. Perhaps you were referencing an earlier version of the links from a different thread?

ha ha ha.. Busted..

I will gladly explain to you the "truth about tuk tuks."

I couldn't count how many times I have been ushered from a public parking spot deemed "theirs". I know of cars that have been keyed and tires slashed. Parking in the tourist areas is a nightmare because the tuk tuks take up most the parking. They clog the roads trolling for fares or by parking in the red zone on Patong beach road, or parking halfway in the road in Kata/Karon, or by parking 2 or 3 abreast on Songroi Phi Rd. I don't like to hear how a female Thai friend of mine gets repeatedly stopped, questioned, and threatened by tuk tuk drivers at the entrance to resorts when she is picking up potential customers to look at properties. Then when she does use them, she is called a "whore" by on of them in front of her co-workers when she is bargaining for a cheaper fare. Nor do I like to hear about a tuk tuk driver brandishing a gun on a friend of mine. I didn't appreciate it when a tuk tuk struck my arm with his mirror when I was crossing a marked crosswalk. Nor did I appreciate when with no explanation the boss at the Kata beach tuk tuk stand left my student and I stranded when he refused to allow any of the tuk tuks under his control to return us and 3 tanks to the dive shop 800 meters away. The shop truck was not available). Their high fares and forceful, sometimes violent transportation monopoly protection activities robs Phuket's residents of reasonably priced mass transportation option which further clogs Phukets roads with motorbikes and cars. I have had a driver try to start a fight with me and my mates, and I have witnessed 20 or so drivers deliver a beatdown to 2 tourists at the top of Bangla. And lastly, I have already written here about the problems I have encountered with their insane driving habits, although that trait hardly unique.

These are the things that don't make the papers, but it is the current reality that all of us have to live with, and it needs to change. You can continue with your very impressive willful suspension of disbelief but it will not change the reality on the ground.

I agree, my list was a distortion of the truth. Things are far worse. My list doesn't do it justice.

Watch out SB.. All these run ins and someone will accuse you of being one of my mates.

Thats exactly it.. The beatings and blockades and other tuktuk disputes are merely the most visible symptoms but the deeper infection spreads in a far greater but less headline grabbing way. It also influences the whole vibe of 'we can do what we like.. Rip off who we like.. Threaten who we like' attitude that then spreads into other sectors and segments.

We all accept that there can be no other transport option because of the violence and thuggery of tuktuks.. The last driver of a public bus system found that out to his pain. But what has happened is that culture of violence, used to eliminate competition, has now been turned onto everyone else as its grown wildly out of control. The same above the law impunity to beat up the driver of a competing service then became above the law impunity to beat up any parking in a public parking spot (French family Kata), or beat up someone who wont pay a revised fare.. Or anyone that speaks up if they speak shit to your GF when walking past.. or or or.

They took the violence they used to control the market, and its spilled out into the whole community.

Edited by LivinLOS

SB and LLOS, those are amazing stories. I feel fortunate that I was merely ripped off for 200 baht the one and only time I took a tuktuk in Phuket.

I've lived in Chiang Mai for a number of years and have never run into the problems the two of you describe, which begs the question; why do you think that this criminal monopoly by tuktuk drivers is so pervasive in Phuket, and not in other areas of Thailand?

Edited by venturalaw

Why do some people feel the need to defend this kind of behavior. A man was beaten to within an inch of his life over a paltry sum of money or a perceived lose of face by a gang of thugs. One day good, decent people will stop coming here and those that have will pack up and leave. What you will be left with is an island of whores and ladyboys, sleazy sex tourists, paedophiles, drunks, drug addicts and gangsters. Land of smiles, that's a laugh. One of the things that I disliked so much about Thailand is the dishonest way it portrays itself to the world.

Pattaya and Patong are the modern day Sodom and Gomorrah.

Edited by pmgthailand

I've lived in Chiang Mai for a number of years and have never run into the problems the two of you describe, which begs the question; why do you think that this criminal monopoly by tuktuk drivers is so pervasive in Phuket, and not in other areas of Thailand?

Because the system became entrenched as Phuket grew and the power is consolidated in a few powerful hands who call the shots..

A tuktuk is leased at about 30k a month (nuts amount of money for what they are but that also means your 'in the club').. Yellows mean freelance, reds mean one group, etc.. Back at the turn of the millennium I remember a senior just retired police major was responsible for a couple of hundred of them, so just for example if your leasing 200 tuktuks your incomings are in the order of 6 mil a month.. Now think about how many are on Phuket ??? 2000 ?? So rough guesses theres 60 million a month spread around a few top cops and political types if those were all leased. Pian had a large stake in tuktuks and used to be in charge of one of the groups so to prevent any conflict of interest, when he was re-elected as mayor (after the first time being caught for fraud and kicked out) he passed the process to his son Prab. So theres clearly no conflict of interest now.

Prab runs the Patong tuktuk Federation... Membership dues to be in that group are 10k a month I was told. Theres 580 tuktuks in the group as per figures published in an interview.. I expect theres a bunch more now as it keeps growing.. Theres also as many saloon cars / black taxis / motorbike taxis under various banners too but no idea on what they pay). So then Prab is also administering another almost 6 million baht monthly in incomings. That 6 mil buys a lot of clout, a lot of favors, a lot of broken CCTVs..

Lastly the other factor is this gives Pian a perfect little voting block.. Want to build a Tunnel for multi billion baht that no one really wants, well you can have your public meeting and 600 people show up and cheer you along, need votes, need bodies, need a crowd.. all readily handled. So if they are doing that for 'team Pian' they need to have their back scratched, they need to have a few favors thrown their way, like setting their own pricing, never being told to move on, taking over the whole parking, restraining a cop when he pulls his gun, etc etc.. Its a 2 way street.

Because the system became entrenched as Phuket grew and the power is consolidated in a few powerful hands who call the shots..A tuktuk is leased at about 30k a month (nuts amount of money for what they are but that also means your 'in the club').. Yellows mean freelance, reds mean one group, etc.. Back at the turn of the millennium I remember a senior just retired police major was responsible for a couple of hundred of them, so just for example if your leasing 200 tuktuks your incomings are in the order of 6 mil a month.. Now think about how many are on Phuket ??? 2000 ?? So rough guesses theres 60 million a month spread around a few top cops and political types if those were all leased. Pian had a large stake in tuktuks and used to be in charge of one of the groups so to prevent any conflict of interest, when he was re-elected as mayor (after the first time being caught for fraud and kicked out) he passed the process to his son Prab. So theres clearly no conflict of interest now. Prab runs the Patong tuktuk Federation... Membership dues to be in that group are 10k a month I was told. Theres 580 tuktuks in the group as per figures published in an interview.. I expect theres a bunch more now as it keeps growing.. Theres also as many saloon cars / black taxis / motorbike taxis under various banners too but no idea on what they pay). So then Prab is also administering another almost 6 million baht monthly in incomings. That 6 mil buys a lot of clout, a lot of favors, a lot of broken CCTVs.. Lastly the other factor is this gives Pian a perfect little voting block.. Want to build a Tunnel for multi billion baht that no one really wants, well you can have your public meeting and 600 people show up and cheer you along, need votes, need bodies, need a crowd.. all readily handled. So if they are doing that for 'team Pian' they need to have their back scratched, they need to have a few favors thrown their way, like setting their own pricing, never being told to move on, taking over the whole parking, restraining a cop when he pulls his gun, etc etc.. Its a 2 way street.

not to mentioned there other buiness activities including real estate ect

they are probabaly netting more then million USD a month.... not a bad business

ha ha ha.. Busted..

All that proves is you have such an unhealthy obsession, you have spent a shed load of time writing two long lists. :lol: The list Logician was talking about is the one in this thread, and 4 of the first 9 links were all to the same story and most of the others were links to irrelivant nonsence. He obviously assumed this list was the same one, and that nobody would be so possesed as to write two seperate, long lists. :o

http://www.thaivisa....-phuket-police/

And the original list. ;)

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

iPetition: Governor Wichai - ban the Phuket tuk-tuks!

Making Phukets Tuk Tuks, Taxi's Fair

Phukets tuk tuks shared among top officials

Tuk tuk problems solved soon: Phuket Governor

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

How do you get around Phuket cheaply?

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk Tuks in Patong

Tuk-tuks warned: 'improve or die'

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on 'taxi mafia'

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk 'bullies'

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

Busted? I wouldn't say so. I think he just underestimated Scubah Budahs obsession, and the likelihood of him writing two seperate different lists in the space of two days. ;)

Edited by BangTaoBoy

I can understand how you can feel the way you do if you have not worked or lived in the Patong/Kata/Karon area. If I was happy living in Kathu or Bang Tao, and hardly ever went to the populated tourist beaches, I would probably be ignorant of the problems as well. The people that have had to live and work there understand. The problem to us can not be summed up by a list of stories on the internet. To dismiss the problem simply by stating "If you don't like them, don't use them." shows an incredible ignorance of the scope of the problem and it's consequences. It goes way beyond extortionate fares and drunk tourist beat downs.

That's just it. TT's aren't there for people that live or work in Patong/Kata/Karon, they are there for tourists. If you run a dive shop, you shouldn't be relying on tuk tuks to get your tanks back to the shop. (If you have so many stories, why do we always hear the same 2 or 3 from you? Why don't you mix it up a little :) )

People live in Patong, a highly touristy area, and then complain it's only geared up for tourists and not residents. Well that's kind of how touristy areas work, get used to it.

My use of tuk tuks is much more representative of the average users. The average holiday maker isn't penny pinching, and doesn't care how much they are. 99.9% of them are happy and friendly and pay what they were asked to pay, and get on with having a fantastic holiday. Just as when I very occasionally use them, and used to use them a lot more in the past, I don't have any problems, just like the tourists don't.

Tuk tuks are for tourists and the vast majority of tourists love them. The vast majority of people who have issues with them, like SB are residents, and to that I say tuff titties. :)

Tuk tuks are for tourists and the vast majority of tourists love them.

I think 'love them' is a bit overdone. I hear quite often complaints from my guests about high prices, not about the quality of the service though, that seems to be coming only from residents and TV members who don't even come to Phuket.

Regarding the lists, did find it funny SB comes up with his own story here on TV as proof of his claims.

I think 'love them' is a bit overdone. I hear quite often complaints from my guests about high prices, not about the quality of the service though, that seems to be coming only from residents and TV members who don't even come to Phuket.

Regarding the lists, did find it funny SB comes up with his own story here on TV as proof of his claims.

Perhaps love was a bit strong, although you do see families with big grins on their faces as they're sitting in the back, especially the kids. Although that's probably just an indication that they're having a great holiday in general. I do believe for tourists they are an attraction and part of the fun, the same way I still get a kick after all these years, out of bombing about in TT's in BKK.

Baring in mind the vast majority of the 3 1/2 million visitors every year will have never read a single story about them, and will go home at the end of their holiday blissfully unawair that they even have a bad reputation. It pains people to accept that for some reason, but it's the truth.

P.S I didn't notice that SB quoted his own story :P and I'm glad you used the word 'lists' (plural) ;)

Edited by LivinginKata
sarcastic remark removed

Perhaps love was a bit strong, although you do see families with big grins on their faces as they're sitting in the back, especially the kids. Although that's probably just an indication that they're having a great holiday in general. I do believe for tourists they are an attraction and part of the fun, the same way I still get a kick after all these years, out of bombing about in TT's in BKK.

Baring in mind the vast majority of the 3 1/2 million visitors every year will have never read a single story about them, and will go home at the end of their holiday blissfully unawair that they even have a bad reputation. It pains people to accept that for some reason, but it's the truth.

P.S I didn't notice that SB quoted his own story :P and I'm glad you used the word 'lists' (plural) ;)

I think you just refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. Are you an employee of TAT? I don't think you can see the forest for the trees.

I've been a tourist to Phuket twice in the last 2 years. Just short stays of 4 days each as the main holiday was not to be had there. I didn't want to do the 2nd stay but was with 5 mates a they wanted to visit the place, to say they'd been there etc. None of us will ever return and tuk tuk deceipt was one of the reasons. Not once, but twice, one guy was quoted a price and it doubled. I guess he's just unlucky. Left a sour taste in our mouths. Just the whole 'vibe' of Patong was bad.

Yes we still left with a smile on our face, happy to be leaving.

Now thinking a bit about it, I have never actually met any person that has gone to Phuket for a holiday and wanted to return.

Just believe what you want about the place, I sure you love it. But don't go trying to tell others that they are wrong when they don't.

Actually I included two Thai Visa links of factual incidents which I witnessed, (if that is what you are talking about.) And why not? Both the time the tuk tuk tried to ram my car, and the time I witnessed 20 or so tuk tuk drivers giving the 2 tourists a pummeling on Bangla which never made the news despite myself and another witness reporting it. The police denied it happened. The latter incident was witnessed by other Thai Visa members, one a moderator, who commented on it as well. Some have suggested that I made these stories up, which is pretty funny to me. Why would anyone need to make up tuk tuk stories? There are so many already. Feel free to ignore those two posts if it suits you. There are over 50 more to choose from, and as I said the list is not complete. Several news reports I remember reading about I could not find links to such as the time the judges sister / wife/daughter or something, was threatened by a tuk tuk driver when she wouldn’t move her car from a public space up in Kamala or Kalim area, or the time the tuk tuk driver prevented a hotel ordered taxi from departing Peach Hill Resort with customers essentially taking the tourists hostage. :)

Edited by LivinginKata
First section commenting on another member removed

SB and LLOS, those are amazing stories. I feel fortunate that I was merely ripped off for 200 baht the one and only time I took a tuktuk in Phuket.

LivinLOS descibes the situation pretty well. Another reason why things are the way they are is because of the entrenched village system in Thailand. Going way back before tourism in Phuket, each village laid claim to it's area's resources. When tourism took over from tin and rubber as the primary income for locals, each village's tuk tuks and taxi's were allowed to pick up customers only within their area, thus having to return empty. This is an outdated and inefficient system which results in passengers having to pay the fare both ways. Each tuk tuk co-op refuses to cooperate with the other, and if a driver doesn't follow this rule the consequences if caught are severe, and I am not talking about fines. No one does it like this anywhere else in the world. Christ, I'm in Cambodia right now on a visa run and even here if I take a taxi to the boarder during the first half of the day it's half the price of a taxi in the evening because the morning taxi can pick up passengers and bring them back on the return leg. The drivers are able to pass the savings on to the passengers. Brilliant.

That's just it. TT's aren't there for people that live or work in Patong/Kata/Karon, they are there for tourists.

Really? Why? And who decided that? The Thai people of Phuket? The only reason they are for tourists is by default by being too expensive. Not sure if you have been to any other tourist areas of Thailand, but I have been to pretty much all of them. It is not this way in any of them. In Chang Mai, Krabi, Pattaya, etc. etc. locals have a cheap and relatively safe (compared to driving the whole family around on a motorbike) means of transportation.

If you run a dive shop, you shouldn't be relying on tuk tuks to get your tanks back to the shop.

Really?? Please explain. Why exactly should we not rely on tuk tuks? What are they for if not transporting people and things? Perhaps you can create a list of reasons with links to online sources of why we can't rely on tuk tuks and post it here. ;)

The shop truck was busy. It happens. It is not uncommon for dive shops or other businesses to use tuk tuks if there is no other option.

(If you have so many stories, why do we always hear the same 2 or 3 from you? Why don't you mix it up a little )

2 or 3? BTB you are the king of minimizing and rationalizing. Sometimes it seems like you don't even read the posts you reply to. I mentioned at least 12 specific incidents as well as a few common and repetitive problems in the paragraph you are referring to which solidly debunk the theory that all you need to do is avoid using tuk tuks to avoid problems. Sorry, I will not make up fictitious stories just to give you some variety. I did however forget a couple you may not have heard before. When an event producer mate of mine based in Kata hired a minivan and driver from outside of Kata to take us to a gig in Krabi, they cancelled last minute because of "turf" issues with the local taxi/tuk tuk "co-op". The guy we did end up getting was confronted twice by local drivers and had to provide them info on who he was affiliated with, where he was going etc. Apparently he had the horsepower as they let us go. Another incident I had forgotten about was when the local tuk tuk "co-op" blockaded the road to Chalong from Kata one morning, forcing all traffic including our dive customers through Rawaii or over Patong Hill.

BTB, putting all the high fares, violence, blockades, parking, traffic issues, aside for a moment, I will give you the benifit of the doubt and assume you aren't completely delusional (or just a liar) and I will assume you can agree that the current transport system in Phuket benefits only the few rich tuk tuk owners and to a much smaller degree, the drivers, (most of which are not from Phuket) at the detriment to the local people. Even you simply cannot deny that. Then why this vehemently defended position of yours? Is it that you have a brother-in-law that is a tuk tuk driver? Please don't try to change the subject with comments about my "obsession."

When I arrived in phuket a few years ago I had no idea in advance that the tuk tuks are a problem. and I honestly dont think that its something that people coming to thailand are searching for, or all that aware about. Maybe if you're from Australia you get news about this stuff but not in north america.

I've taken maybe 5 TT rides since then and never had a bad situation with any drivers. Day/Night always got the price first (which of course varied nearly every time). I do subscribe to the 'compare to back home prices' when im losing a couple bahts here or there, cause 99 percent of the time im coming out WAYYYYY ahead. Do i wish there was better public transportation? of course. But theres definitely ways around it, like finding better places to visit than patong, and sticking in those smaller communities. Or renting a car/bike. Unfortunately as mentioned I really dont think that the bulk of travellers have a clue about the tuk tuks being a problem, until they are in the situation themselves with no previous knowledge and experience.