German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

webfact

This captain seems to know aw awful lot, bearing in mind that neither the victim or his wife could report anything.

I also note on another site that cannot be named.. Where the Pol Major went to great pains to define these as 2 clearly separate incidents.. And one where the german was clearly at fault the Pol Majors quote is "This is a clear cut case and Mr Trotnow faces action because he did the wrong thing" but on the subject of what he calls the 'alleged beating' he says it was a mystery 'gang' at fault.. And if they cannot be traced how can they possibly be charged kind of comments.

The direct police quotes just go to show how messed up it is.. Truly a shocker.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 baht equals approximately 4 and a half Euros. A German paying anything less than ten euros for such a trip in Germany would be lucky indeed. While this is not Germany, the foreigners come here expecting everything for cheap and to push people around, just like that German just pushed the tuk-tuk driver to the ground because there was an argument. We don't have the whole story, because as was noted, the German couple were drunk, it is possible they are putting themselves in a much better light than they have behaved, and the Tuk-tuk driver cannot be located because 200 baht is not an incredibly high price to pay for a taxi ride in the rain in the middle of the night.

The man is in Thailand, not in Germany...

I live in Bangkok and wanted to go to Phuket but I hear nothing but stuff like this all the time. The dam_n place is unsafe at least that is what it appears to be. What a shame hurting only themselves as people just will not come their.

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

100B is perfectly fair, too much even. 200B is just a rip-off.

Who can say this is a rip off ??? Who are you to judge that ??? If you don't like the price, you don't use tuk tuks, that s it... As well since they don't have meters, you should always agree on the price before jumping in a tuk-tuk.

I wonder how much this guy would have paid in Germany for the same trip ? 10 or 15 EUR ?? Would he dare to say he does not pay the bill in his own country ???? I don't think so.

I don't caution the behavior of the tuk tuk drivers, it is unacceptable to beat someone to death for that but I am sure those kind of incident could be avoided with a bit of diplomacy...

200 baht equals approximately 4 and a half Euros. A German paying anything less than ten euros for such a trip in Germany would be lucky indeed. While this is not Germany, the foreigners come here expecting everything for cheap and to push people around, just like that German just pushed the tuk-tuk driver to the ground because there was an argument. We don't have the whole story, because as was noted, the German couple were drunk, it is possible they are putting themselves in a much better light than they have behaved, and the Tuk-tuk driver cannot be located because 200 baht is not an incredibly high price to pay for a taxi ride in the rain in the middle of the night.

The man is in Thailand, not in Germany...

Secondly there is no surcharge for night or for rain.

I live in Bangkok and wanted to go to Phuket but I hear nothing but stuff like this all the time. The dam_n place is unsafe at least that is what it appears to be. What a shame hurting only themselves as people just will not come their.

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

Logic says you are right. Human nature says otherwise. How long has this been going on and the tourists just keep going ....

Why should Farangs be expected to pay more than Thais?

Tuk-Tuks are a rip off, uncomfortable, unsafe, exposed to the rain and emissions from other vehicles.

They should be banned and replaced with Bangkok Style air-conditioned "Taxi Meters"

Don't use them and their prices will soon drop.

This captain seems to know aw awful lot, bearing in mind that neither the victim or his wife could report anything.

I also note on another site that cannot be named.. Where the Pol Major went to great pains to define these as 2 clearly separate incidents.. And one where the german was clearly at fault the Pol Majors quote is "This is a clear cut case and Mr Trotnow faces action because he did the wrong thing" but on the subject of what he calls the 'alleged beating' he says it was a mystery 'gang' at fault.. And if they cannot be traced how can they possibly be charged kind of comments.

The direct police quotes just go to show how messed up it is.. Truly a shocker.

Shocking indeed. To connect the two incidents would require something which I believe is called "detective work" which is clearly outside the mandate of Thai law enforcement unless the victim is a celebrity or has local connections.

How about checking phone records of wife + brother-in-law for the few hours after the incident, see who they called? Probably too much like hard work right ....

Really? I'm really confused by your comment. Your not sure which bothers you more?...a group of above the law thugs repeatedly hospitalizing tourists or news outlets reporting it and the subsequent peoples comments about it? Your solution then is to stop reporting it? Wow...I guess you got your priorities in line then. How about you just stop reading the news then? Problem solved.

Did you learn something new on this topic ? Except the news itself of course, are you even a bit surprised to hear about tuktuk drivers being a mafia in Phuket ?

Did you give precious informations or share any experiences that help readers to understand more the situation there ?

90% of the comments here aren't familiar to you ? Don't you think it is the same comment every time there is a topic on tuktuk driver in Phuket ?

And do you think that Thaivisa relating this kind of news as priority on Phuket forum is the best way to calm things down, to help the image of Phuket, to change people attitude ?

As you said, I have my priorities in line, and knowing about thief in Phuket isn't. Don't get me wrong, I feel the story is horrible, but I am talking about the amount of similar stories. Most of the time I receive an email from ThaiVisa, it is for a scam story.

I believe Thailand still has "amazing" things to share, and sharing news like that on the main thai forum that people read is not going to help Thailand. I would just feel a bit sad if ThaiVisa become the thai "News of the World".

I am not saying news shouldn't be shared, but shared in a smart way. I guess one's feed the mass with what mass wants. jap.gif

Really? I'm really confused by your comment. Your not sure which bothers you more?...a group of above the law thugs repeatedly hospitalizing tourists or news outlets reporting it and the subsequent peoples comments about it? Your solution then is to stop reporting it? Wow...I guess you got your priorities in line then. How about you just stop reading the news then? Problem solved.

Did you learn something new on this topic ? Except the news itself of course, are you even a bit surprised to hear about tuktuk drivers being a mafia in Phuket ?

Did you give precious informations or share any experiences that help readers to understand more the situation there ?

90% of the comments here aren't familiar to you ? Don't you think it is the same comment every time there is a topic on tuktuk driver in Phuket ?

And do you think that Thaivisa relating this kind of news as priority on Phuket forum is the best way to calm things down, to help the image of Phuket, to change people attitude ?

As you said, I have my priorities in line, and knowing about thief in Phuket isn't. Don't get me wrong, I feel the story is horrible, but I am talking about the amount of similar stories. Most of the time I receive an email from ThaiVisa, it is for a scam story.

I believe Thailand still has "amazing" things to share, and sharing news like that on the main thai forum that people read is not going to help Thailand. I would just feel a bit sad if ThaiVisa become the thai "News of the World".

I am not saying news shouldn't be shared, but shared in a smart way. I guess one's feed the mass with what mass wants. jap.gif

I didn't think the function of ThaiVisa.com was to "help Thailand". But to inform.

If you just think you are being fed scams, why not just leave? Nobody is forcing you to read the thai "News of the World" (that's shut by the way).

When are people going to learn Tuk Tuk drivers all ask for 200 baht for anything. If you do not ask before what do they expect they will charge. His wife if Thai would always check price before hand. Also what right does he have to push the driver down to the ground. A big German against a little Thai driver and then walking off drunk. No wonder they hate all of us if the facts are true

I didn't think the function of ThaiVisa.com was to "help Thailand". But to inform.

If you just think you are being fed scams, why not just leave? Nobody is forcing you to read the thai "News of the World" (that's shut by the way).

A lot of people who wants to have feedback about a place before they go often refers to forum, Thaivisa is a main one. Sure it is meant to inform, but I believe it can help people choosing one destination or another.

As ScubbaBuddha reminded us, there is a lot of stories about Phuket and the fact that is it not safe.

Of course nobody is forcing me to read, but I do what I want. As much as nobody force you to read my comment or reply to me. You share your opinion, I guess I can share mine.

Really, the German bloke has a Thai wife, so he should be smart enough not to get into an altercation with a Thai tuk tuk driver for a mere 100 THB.

Notwithstanding, that does not justify practically killing the bloke. If the tuk tuk guy wanted to show how "ganster" he was with his monkey jungle book friends, then a couple of slaps around the head, or a bloody nose would be more than enough against the old bloke. Kicking him practically to death is just rediculous.

It's not just Phuket that has Tuk Tuk issues...

In Hua Hin it is not possible to find a single meter taxi either. I needed a 15km round trip so woke up a sleeping Tuk Tuk driver and asked how much he would charge me for that. "1,000 Baht" came the reply. I offered him 500 Baht for the 30 minutes or so work but he declined and went back to sleep.

MINIMUM fare in Hua Hin is 150 Baht BTW.

A lot of people who wants to have feedback about a place before they go often refers to forum, Thaivisa is a main one. Sure it is meant to inform, but I believe it can help people choosing one destination or another.

As ScubbaBuddha reminded us, there is a lot of stories about Phuket and the fact that is it not safe.

Of course nobody is forcing me to read, but I do what I want. As much as nobody force you to read my comment or reply to me. You share your opinion, I guess I can share mine.

Cool, no problem. So I thing we both agree the forum is doing its job. If a German guy gets sent to ICU by a local gang over a 100B fare, it sounds like the sort of thing that should be reported no? Or should we ration tuk-tuk beating stories to 1 a month say?

I agree, Thailand has amazing things to offer visitors. So anything that can help steer them away from places like Patong can only be a good thing imho.

Its' what I really regret about tourist areas. They really don't represent Thailand, and visitors get a false idea of what Thai people are like. I would encourage anyone visiting Thailand to travel around the country, see the real Thailand, not just get to meet the sort of Thais that are attracted to tourists areas for the sake of ripping off foreign tourists.

Edited by pete66

This is becomeing a weekly thing. It's getting hard to keep all the tuk tuk beatings straight. Can nobody stop them?

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk Tuks in Patong

Tuk-tuks warned: ‘improve or die’

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk ‘bullies’

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

iPetition: Governor Wichai - ban the Phuket tuk-tuks!

Making Phukets Tuk Tuks, Taxi's Fair

Phukets tuk tuks shared among top officials

Tuk tuk problems solved soon: Phuket Governor

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

How do you get around Phuket cheaply?

This list, thank you ScubaBuddha, needs to be circulated to as many travel websites as possible!

Tuk-Tuk's would not be allowed on the roads in Germany unless they passed stringent safety standards. Drivers would have to pass a strict driving test, need expensive insurance cover and fuel costs, taxes etc are much higher in Germany. Thais living costs are much lower than Germans. That is why it is cheaper in Phuket.

Cool, no problem. So I thing we both agree the forum is doing its job. If a German guy gets sent to ICU by a local gang over a 100B fare, it sounds like the sort of thing that should be reported no? Or should we ration tuk-tuk beating stories to 1 a month say?

I agree, Thailand has amazing things to offer visitors. So anything that can help steer them away from places like Patong can only be a good thing imho.

Indeed. Phuket is a wonderful place but sadly the Phuket forum on Thaivisa is full of "sad" or tragic" news. I am not saying those stories don't matter or should not be reported, I am saying ThaiVisa should try to equally report good news and maybe smaller events that also show a good image of this island.

I hope the German man will recover soon.

Indeed. Phuket is a wonderful place but sadly the Phuket forum on Thaivisa is full of "sad" or tragic" news. I am not saying those stories don't matter or should not be reported, I am saying ThaiVisa should try to equally report good news and maybe smaller events that also show a good image of this island.

I hope the German man will recover soon.

Something about the nature of "news" I guess. I remember in the UK a while back there was a big debate about why all news had to "bad" and "depressing". Nature of the beast I'm afraid. Bad news normally just gets reported. Good news often has to be paid for by someone. C'est la vie.

so lets add this one to the list

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phuket rip-off: the trouble with tuk-tuks

Fodor's Travel Guide: Phuket Tuk Tuks and exorbitant charges.

Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Phuket tuk tuk warning

Tripadvisor: Phuket's Tuk Tuks are still at it.

iPetition: Governor Wichai - ban the Phuket tuk-tuks!

Making Phukets Tuk Tuks, Taxi's Fair

Phukets tuk tuks shared among top officials

Tuk tuk problems solved soon: Phuket Governor

Thaivisa: Tuk Tuks clearly a bane to Phuket tourism

Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family for parking in 'wrong place

Tat 'worried' About Phuket Tuk-tuk Gangs

Tuk Tuk standoff in Karoni

War on taxi mafia

Tuk tuks no good

Time for action

A recent visitors comments about the taxi mafia

Phuket Taxi: Primitive transport

Would you believe it..Police citing the taxi mafia?

Beating the taxi fares/

Phuket Public Transport: Cartels continue in the driver's seat

Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

Phuket consuls keep pressure on tuk-tuk, jet-ski scams

Phuket tuk tuk fares in the firing line

Tuk tuk driver questioned over sexual assault of British girl.

Paradise Lost

Phuket officials tackle tuk tuk blockades

Good old Phuket tuk tuks at it again

Phukets must do's and don'ts

How do you get around Phuket cheaply?

Swedish Tourist Punched by Tuk Tuk driver.

Tuk Tuk Violence

Local expat gets major beatdown by 4 tuk tuk drivers.

Crazy tuk tuk driver tries to run me off the road.

Tuk tuk driver stabs Welshman

4 Aussie tourists beaten and stabbed by gang of tuk tuk drivers

Tuk Tuks in Patong

Tuk-tuks warned: ‘improve or die’

Tuk Tuk fares still to high: Consuls

PM turns spotlight on Phuket problems

Taxi driver charged with rape

Phuket Cruise ship passengers blockaded

Tuk tuk driver assaults a Canadian man after the man refused to pay the extortionate price for a 1 minute ride

Tuk-tuks blockade US military in Phuket.

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

Tuk-tuk drivers in protest over access to port

Eco-tour firms protest tuk tuk ‘bullies’

Tourist Belted By Tuk Tuk Driver

Issues and Answers: Why aren't parking rules enforced (on tuk tuks) in Karon?

Issues and Answers: Tuk-tuks in Kata-Karon

Issues and Answers: Action on tuk-tuk rip-offs

Issuea and Answers: Why no bus between Kata/Karon and Patong? Answer: Bus driver was pulled from his bus and beaten by "competition."

Issues and Answers: "Government intervention will be needed to create a new taxi service in Phuket." - Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Traffic Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station

"Stay away from tuk tuks and ladyboys" Says Phuket Governor

untill they come down with ZERO tolarance, and LOCK these people up they will never learn and the list will contunie to grow daily

NOTE - How many attacks are there from say London Black Cab Drivers, NY Taxi Drivers, Singapore Taxi Drivers or even Bangkok Taxi Drivers !, probably very very little as they are regulated !, and will lose there jobs/income ect even if they thought about doing what these people do ..... and yes most do get verbal abuse ect from clients, but they handle it correctly, but most issues are always over the fare in phuket

I'm sure Mrs. Trotnow's brother can reveil the motorbike taxi driver and maybe even the gang of assaultants - - NOT

Risking your life for THB 100 is meaningless. Downing the driver was not very smart...

Stay away from the Patong rat hole.

I agree "downing the driver" is not smart. But who's account do we have so far? The "too drunk to remember" wife? Sure as heck sounds like the German is in no condition to talk at the moment ....

Good point, additionally how does anyone know the victim was drunk, if he was knocked unconscious? There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behaviour, Patong needs cleaning up, thoroughly and it will take the Army to do it. I have tried to access the article in PG online all I get is 'Service unavailable' never seen this before.

Something about the nature of "news" I guess. I remember in the UK a while back there was a big debate about why all news had to "bad" and "depressing". Nature of the beast I'm afraid. Bad news normally just gets reported. Good news often has to be paid for by someone. C'est la vie.

It sure is. Bad news and scandals are highly sellable..

I am sure there are a lot of good tuk tuk drivers. I'm sure that are a lot worse too. I walk or take my own transport or, if I have to take one, negotiate before and don't argue after. It's why the major hotels have been pushing the taxi stations further and further away from their entrances, have their own transport for paying customers. This is why cruise ship operators don't really want their customers going on tuk tuks. It's why navy ships don't want their personnel taking tuk tuks… the problem is that everyday a person that has never been to Thailand lands at the airport. There is no way to stop people using tuk tuks and as long as they have the power there will be no alternative for anyone, thai's included, to just smile and pay like good little suckers that they are.

Why is it that the story is fully known, the couple and the brother… but no one knows who beat up this guy? It seems that the tuk tuk drivers are united in cowardice and the authorities couldn't careless.

Mind you, this is Thailand and you can't be a big brute. Westerners have to respect customs and if the price seems unreasonable not the shove people around.

Always ask the price first, even when I go to a shop 100 times I will always ask the price. If it's unreasonable (today)… I will go somewhere else.

When are people going to learn Tuk Tuk drivers all ask for 200 baht for anything. If you do not ask before what do they expect they will charge. His wife if Thai would always check price before hand. Also what right does he have to push the driver down to the ground. A big German against a little Thai driver and then walking off drunk. No wonder they hate all of us if the facts are true

Yes your right.. That perfectly justifies putting an old man into a coma..

Yes you can.

It isn't safe now, has never been much safer. They are just a gang of hoods. I don't know why anyone wants to visit the dump.

Not excusing the thuggish behaviour but I would have walked the 800 meters. I need the exercise and the bonus is avoiding any dealings with these guys.

Its also best to ask the price before getting into the tuk tuk...

Yes your right.. That perfectly justifies putting an old man into a coma..

No the coma not justified, but a consequence of:

"A big German against a little Thai driver and then walking off drunk. No wonder they hate all of us if the facts are true"

They have no recourse if a big guy just wants to walk off without paying. Or do they? If so, kindly enlighten us.

Warning to all tourists planning a trip to Thailand:

You should avoid Phuket as there is too much violence against tourists by local taxi drivers.

It is a very dangerous place for you to take a vacation. There are other places in Thailand that are way better... :bah:

Edited by devaram