BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

This captain seems to know aw awful lot, bearing in mind that neither the victim or his wife could report anything.

I also note on another site that cannot be named.. Where the Pol Major went to great pains to define these as 2 clearly separate incidents.. And one where the german was clearly at fault the Pol Majors quote is "This is a clear cut case and Mr Trotnow faces action because he did the wrong thing" but on the subject of what he calls the 'alleged beating' he says it was a mystery 'gang' at fault.. And if they cannot be traced how can they possibly be charged kind of comments.

The direct police quotes just go to show how messed up it is.. Truly a shocker.

200 baht equals approximately 4 and a half Euros. A German paying anything less than ten euros for such a trip in Germany would be lucky indeed. While this is not Germany, the foreigners come here expecting everything for cheap and to push people around, just like that German just pushed the tuk-tuk driver to the ground because there was an argument. We don't have the whole story, because as was noted, the German couple were drunk, it is possible they are putting themselves in a much better light than they have behaved, and the Tuk-tuk driver cannot be located because 200 baht is not an incredibly high price to pay for a taxi ride in the rain in the middle of the night.

The man is in Thailand, not in Germany...

I live in Bangkok and wanted to go to Phuket but I hear nothing but stuff like this all the time. The dam_n place is unsafe at least that is what it appears to be. What a shame hurting only themselves as people just will not come their.

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

100B is perfectly fair, too much even. 200B is just a rip-off.

Who can say this is a rip off ??? Who are you to judge that ??? If you don't like the price, you don't use tuk tuks, that s it... As well since they don't have meters, you should always agree on the price before jumping in a tuk-tuk.

I wonder how much this guy would have paid in Germany for the same trip ? 10 or 15 EUR ?? Would he dare to say he does not pay the bill in his own country ???? I don't think so.

I don't caution the behavior of the tuk tuk drivers, it is unacceptable to beat someone to death for that but I am sure those kind of incident could be avoided with a bit of diplomacy...

200 baht equals approximately 4 and a half Euros. A German paying anything less than ten euros for such a trip in Germany would be lucky indeed. While this is not Germany, the foreigners come here expecting everything for cheap and to push people around, just like that German just pushed the tuk-tuk driver to the ground because there was an argument. We don't have the whole story, because as was noted, the German couple were drunk, it is possible they are putting themselves in a much better light than they have behaved, and the Tuk-tuk driver cannot be located because 200 baht is not an incredibly high price to pay for a taxi ride in the rain in the middle of the night.

The man is in Thailand, not in Germany...

Secondly there is no surcharge for night or for rain.

I live in Bangkok and wanted to go to Phuket but I hear nothing but stuff like this all the time. The dam_n place is unsafe at least that is what it appears to be. What a shame hurting only themselves as people just will not come their.

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

Logic says you are right. Human nature says otherwise. How long has this been going on and the tourists just keep going ....

Why should Farangs be expected to pay more than Thais?

Tuk-Tuks are a rip off, uncomfortable, unsafe, exposed to the rain and emissions from other vehicles.

They should be banned and replaced with Bangkok Style air-conditioned "Taxi Meters"

Don't use them and their prices will soon drop.

This captain seems to know aw awful lot, bearing in mind that neither the victim or his wife could report anything.

I also note on another site that cannot be named.. Where the Pol Major went to great pains to define these as 2 clearly separate incidents.. And one where the german was clearly at fault the Pol Majors quote is "This is a clear cut case and Mr Trotnow faces action because he did the wrong thing" but on the subject of what he calls the 'alleged beating' he says it was a mystery 'gang' at fault.. And if they cannot be traced how can they possibly be charged kind of comments.

The direct police quotes just go to show how messed up it is.. Truly a shocker.

Shocking indeed. To connect the two incidents would require something which I believe is called "detective work" which is clearly outside the mandate of Thai law enforcement unless the victim is a celebrity or has local connections.

How about checking phone records of wife + brother-in-law for the few hours after the incident, see who they called? Probably too much like hard work right ....

Really? I'm really confused by your comment. Your not sure which bothers you more?...a group of above the law thugs repeatedly hospitalizing tourists or news outlets reporting it and the subsequent peoples comments about it? Your solution then is to stop reporting it? Wow...I guess you got your priorities in line then. How about you just stop reading the news then? Problem solved.

Did you learn something new on this topic ? Except the news itself of course, are you even a bit surprised to hear about tuktuk drivers being a mafia in Phuket ?

Did you give precious informations or share any experiences that help readers to understand more the situation there ?

90% of the comments here aren't familiar to you ? Don't you think it is the same comment every time there is a topic on tuktuk driver in Phuket ?

And do you think that Thaivisa relating this kind of news as priority on Phuket forum is the best way to calm things down, to help the image of Phuket, to change people attitude ?

As you said, I have my priorities in line, and knowing about thief in Phuket isn't. Don't get me wrong, I feel the story is horrible, but I am talking about the amount of similar stories. Most of the time I receive an email from ThaiVisa, it is for a scam story.

I believe Thailand still has "amazing" things to share, and sharing news like that on the main thai forum that people read is not going to help Thailand. I would just feel a bit sad if ThaiVisa become the thai "News of the World".

I am not saying news shouldn't be shared, but shared in a smart way. I guess one's feed the mass with what mass wants. jap.gif

Really? I'm really confused by your comment. Your not sure which bothers you more?...a group of above the law thugs repeatedly hospitalizing tourists or news outlets reporting it and the subsequent peoples comments about it? Your solution then is to stop reporting it? Wow...I guess you got your priorities in line then. How about you just stop reading the news then? Problem solved.

Did you learn something new on this topic ? Except the news itself of course, are you even a bit surprised to hear about tuktuk drivers being a mafia in Phuket ?

Did you give precious informations or share any experiences that help readers to understand more the situation there ?

90% of the comments here aren't familiar to you ? Don't you think it is the same comment every time there is a topic on tuktuk driver in Phuket ?

And do you think that Thaivisa relating this kind of news as priority on Phuket forum is the best way to calm things down, to help the image of Phuket, to change people attitude ?

As you said, I have my priorities in line, and knowing about thief in Phuket isn't. Don't get me wrong, I feel the story is horrible, but I am talking about the amount of similar stories. Most of the time I receive an email from ThaiVisa, it is for a scam story.

I believe Thailand still has "amazing" things to share, and sharing news like that on the main thai forum that people read is not going to help Thailand. I would just feel a bit sad if ThaiVisa become the thai "News of the World".

I am not saying news shouldn't be shared, but shared in a smart way. I guess one's feed the mass with what mass wants. jap.gif

I didn't think the function of ThaiVisa.com was to "help Thailand". But to inform.

If you just think you are being fed scams, why not just leave? Nobody is forcing you to read the thai "News of the World" (that's shut by the way).

When are people going to learn Tuk Tuk drivers all ask for 200 baht for anything. If you do not ask before what do they expect they will charge. His wife if Thai would always check price before hand. Also what right does he have to push the driver down to the ground. A big German against a little Thai driver and then walking off drunk. No wonder they hate all of us if the facts are true

I didn't think the function of ThaiVisa.com was to "help Thailand". But to inform.

If you just think you are being fed scams, why not just leave? Nobody is forcing you to read the thai "News of the World" (that's shut by the way).

A lot of people who wants to have feedback about a place before they go often refers to forum, Thaivisa is a main one. Sure it is meant to inform, but I believe it can help people choosing one destination or another.

As ScubbaBuddha reminded us, there is a lot of stories about Phuket and the fact that is it not safe.

Of course nobody is forcing me to read, but I do what I want. As much as nobody force you to read my comment or reply to me. You share your opinion, I guess I can share mine.

Really, the German bloke has a Thai wife, so he should be smart enough not to get into an altercation with a Thai tuk tuk driver for a mere 100 THB.

Notwithstanding, that does not justify practically killing the bloke. If the tuk tuk guy wanted to show how "ganster" he was with his monkey jungle book friends, then a couple of slaps around the head, or a bloody nose would be more than enough against the old bloke. Kicking him practically to death is just rediculous.

It's not just Phuket that has Tuk Tuk issues...

In Hua Hin it is not possible to find a single meter taxi either. I needed a 15km round trip so woke up a sleeping Tuk Tuk driver and asked how much he would charge me for that. "1,000 Baht" came the reply. I offered him 500 Baht for the 30 minutes or so work but he declined and went back to sleep.

MINIMUM fare in Hua Hin is 150 Baht BTW.

A lot of people who wants to have feedback about a place before they go often refers to forum, Thaivisa is a main one. Sure it is meant to inform, but I believe it can help people choosing one destination or another.

As ScubbaBuddha reminded us, there is a lot of stories about Phuket and the fact that is it not safe.

Of course nobody is forcing me to read, but I do what I want. As much as nobody force you to read my comment or reply to me. You share your opinion, I guess I can share mine.

Cool, no problem. So I thing we both agree the forum is doing its job. If a German guy gets sent to ICU by a local gang over a 100B fare, it sounds like the sort of thing that should be reported no? Or should we ration tuk-tuk beating stories to 1 a month say?

I agree, Thailand has amazing things to offer visitors. So anything that can help steer them away from places like Patong can only be a good thing imho.

Its' what I really regret about tourist areas. They really don't represent Thailand, and visitors get a false idea of what Thai people are like. I would encourage anyone visiting Thailand to travel around the country, see the real Thailand, not just get to meet the sort of Thais that are attracted to tourists areas for the sake of ripping off foreign tourists.

Edited by pete66