German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

webfact

I don't get why all of you are bent out of shape over this? I lived 4 years in Thailand, and now 3 more in Cambodia and I live on the edge and never got into 1 beef with the took tooks or motos while wilding out piss drunk.

It's simple. Pay 10 or 200 or 900 or whatever the guy tells you he wants for the ride, or find a better deal, or walk. If you forgot to settle on a price, the mistake is yours, so cough up the money and next time be smart enough to strike a deal before getting in.

I am on first name bases with all motos and took-tooks around where i live. I buy them beers once in a while. The dividends are way worth it. I seen how they attack as a pack, so nice to have that pack on your leash.

Use your head, this the wild west and if you don't like it, need a safety net, are too green to adapt, not street smart, you gonna get used and abused.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it anymore than the others. One can say all they want about the reaction; but we should all know by now that the fuel is on the ground and the fumes are thick in the air.

Ahh but heres the rub.. When some of us post things like this.. A certain sub section of the Phuket posters will be out in force.. Claiming how everythings fine.. nothings amiss... etc etc etc.. Even in the face of such constant evidence.

Its this vibe, this constantly having to be guarded and careful, the knowledge that of something did happen I would not have anyone rushing to my defense to restrain or stop an attacker.. That they can shove you but you better not shove back.. It was those reasons why I left. But if and when I said those opinions, it was all hyperbole or my attitude etc..

Thais in other parts of the country simply are not like this.. They arent..

You seem to have problems with reading comprehension..

I am not a Thai.. I was a resident for many years on Phuket.. From long before there was such a tuktuk problem and when most interactions was fairly civil and there wasnt nearly such a hair trigger resentment.

I now live elsewhere in Thailand, and the Thais here are again, simply not that way.. Theres a lack of the aggression and spoiling for a kick off kind of vibe.. People smile genuine smiles, people want to say hi and have a chat.. You get those charming shy thai smiles again...

I am sure if I kicked off a ruck in the bar soi in town the odds would be stacked against me, but there isnt the same reasons to kick off up here, no ones asking a days wages for a 500m drive, no ones changing the price once at the destination. I also really doubt there would be quite the same all bystanders take a run in and have a pop for no reason, sure maybe, but as in this case there its just a long line of ready and willing for no reason locals.. Up here theres just a bit more inter-nationality acceptance, a bit more appreciation of the tourist dollar perhaps if you want to be cynical.

Edited by Lite Beer
A quote from a deleted post has been removed.

Many many years ago, while living in Bangkok for 12 years I got in a dispute over the fare with motorcylce guy that had stopped where I was standing and asked where I was going.

I told him where I was going and I stated the price in Thai language and he agreed.

When we got there he doubled the price on me and I refused to pay.

I stood there and offered him the fare that I had stated and the fare that he had agreed upon.

He would not take the money that we had agreed upon and then got off his bike and confronted me demanding double the fare.

I tried to pay him the agreed fare and he would not take it while demanding the double fare price.

I said take it or leave it and he refused to take it.

I tried to walk away from him and his nonsense but he "Blocked" me with his arm.

I told him again I was not going to pay him and tried to put the money in his hand but he would not take it and kept demanding the double fare.

I told him once again I would not pay the doble fare and asked him if he wanted the agreed fare or not.

He kept demanding the double fare and then told me that was the fare I had previously agreed upon with him.

I corrected him and told him I had offered a price and he had agreed.

In Thai langauge I repeated myself and told him I would not pay the double fare price.

I then told him again I would pay him the agreed fare, take it or leave it, as I had to go.

He would not take the money.

I then tried to move around him again and he raised his elbow in my face and put his other hand on my chest and forcefully blocked me while making the Thai Boxing "elbow to the face gesture " clearly demonstrating that he was going to THAI BOX my face if I did not pay him.

Well Folks...I just lost it right then and there.

I proceeded to beat the crap out of the guy right then and there on the side walk on Silom Road in broad daylight in front of a bank building in 1998

He totally did not expect that to happen and I was surprised how easy it was for me to grab this guy and manhandle him and throw him around and beat him to the ground and left him stunned, lying on the ground.

I do not care what any other person has to say about that incident and what I should have done or not should have done in their opinion.

Criticise all you want...I dont care.

But on that particular day all the 12 years of Thai bullshit frustrations and the many times I had been cheated here and there by Thai people just boiled over and I lost it with that motorcylce guy when he put his hand on me and threatened to "Thai Box " my face.

After I had beat him I then put the money that he had demanded on the seat of his motorcylcle while screaming at him and saying: "Are you satisfied now" " Are you happy now you silly XXXXXX."

I paid him the money for the satisfaction of beating him up and for being the A Hole that we was and acting the way that he did thinking he could try to extort the money from me while threatening to box my face as if he was some sort of professional Thai Boxer.

I had hurt the guy real good and he was bleeding from the mouth and his lip was all swollen and he was totally dazed.

I just walked away and went into the building I was going to anyhow thinking I should not have done that and I had over reacted and should have just paid him.

I was feeling sorry for him.

But then again I thought: "Why should I let anyone cheat me like that while he is threatening to assault me.???

I had never had anything quite like that happen to me in 12 years of living in Bangkok and never since but I still wonder why the Thai man thought he could do what he tried to do and not simply except the money we had agreed upon.

Even if he had mistakenly agreed or did not understand what I had said in Thai langauge he could have accepted the money and moved on.

But no..he thought he could get more money out of me because I was a farang.

There are plenty of Thai people out there that can ruin your day if you happen to connect with them some how and in some way.

They come with an attitude and they can be stupidly stubborn and small minded.

That guy in particular, on that day was mistaken when he thought he could get some easy money from a farang.

cool story internet tough guy

If its true then its a tough guy story told on the internet not a "internet tough guy" I have lived in Thailand for a year and there have been more than a few times I have seen it get close to a punch up most of the time its not about the fair its about not turning right onto XYZ or driving 5km past where you need to go. I just tell them Mai pen rai bad luck for you and leave the door open if they guy is a real douchebag. I was lucky one time because I opened the door as a moto cut in between the stalls and smacked the door. The Taxi cab driver of course made a scene (One block off Sukumvit) and told the bike driver to decide the price of damages they both should get. Long story short bike rider "Mai pen rai No problem" waied and that was it case closed walked away no "farang jackpot". I always look when I open a car door here because that day I know I walked away from 1-3k baht in damages.

Many many years ago, while living in Bangkok for 12 years I got in a dispute over the fare with motorcylce guy that had stopped where I was standing and asked where I was going.

I told him where I was going and I stated the price in Thai language and he agreed.

When we got there he doubled the price on me and I refused to pay.

I stood there and offered him the fare that I had stated and the fare that he had agreed upon.

He would not take the money that we had agreed upon and then got off his bike and confronted me demanding double the fare.

I tried to pay him the agreed fare and he would not take it while demanding the double fare price.

I said take it or leave it and he refused to take it.

I tried to walk away from him and his nonsense but he "Blocked" me with his arm.

I told him again I was not going to pay him and tried to put the money in his hand but he would not take it and kept demanding the double fare.

I told him once again I would not pay the doble fare and asked him if he wanted the agreed fare or not.

He kept demanding the double fare and then told me that was the fare I had previously agreed upon with him.

I corrected him and told him I had offered a price and he had agreed.

In Thai langauge I repeated myself and told him I would not pay the double fare price.

I then told him again I would pay him the agreed fare, take it or leave it, as I had to go.

He would not take the money.

I then tried to move around him again and he raised his elbow in my face and put his other hand on my chest and forcefully blocked me while making the Thai Boxing "elbow to the face gesture " clearly demonstrating that he was going to THAI BOX my face if I did not pay him.

Well Folks...I just lost it right then and there.

I proceeded to beat the crap out of the guy right then and there on the side walk on Silom Road in broad daylight in front of a bank building in 1998

He totally did not expect that to happen and I was surprised how easy it was for me to grab this guy and manhandle him and throw him around and beat him to the ground and left him stunned, lying on the ground.

I do not care what any other person has to say about that incident and what I should have done or not should have done in their opinion.

Criticise all you want...I dont care.

But on that particular day all the 12 years of Thai bullshit frustrations and the many times I had been cheated here and there by Thai people just boiled over and I lost it with that motorcylce guy when he put his hand on me and threatened to "Thai Box " my face.

After I had beat him I then put the money that he had demanded on the seat of his motorcylcle while screaming at him and saying: "Are you satisfied now" " Are you happy now you silly XXXXXX."

I paid him the money for the satisfaction of beating him up and for being the A Hole that we was and acting the way that he did thinking he could try to extort the money from me while threatening to box my face as if he was some sort of professional Thai Boxer.

I had hurt the guy real good and he was bleeding from the mouth and his lip was all swollen and he was totally dazed.

I just walked away and went into the building I was going to anyhow thinking I should not have done that and I had over reacted and should have just paid him.

I was feeling sorry for him.

But then again I thought: "Why should I let anyone cheat me like that while he is threatening to assault me.???

I had never had anything quite like that happen to me in 12 years of living in Bangkok and never since but I still wonder why the Thai man thought he could do what he tried to do and not simply except the money we had agreed upon.

Even if he had mistakenly agreed or did not understand what I had said in Thai langauge he could have accepted the money and moved on.

But no..he thought he could get more money out of me because I was a farang.

There are plenty of Thai people out there that can ruin your day if you happen to connect with them some how and in some way.

They come with an attitude and they can be stupidly stubborn and small minded.

That guy in particular, on that day was mistaken when he thought he could get some easy money from a farang.

cool story internet tough guy

If its true then its a tough guy story told on the internet not a "internet tough guy" I have lived in Thailand for a year and there have been more than a few times I have seen it get close to a punch up most of the time its not about the fair its about not turning right onto XYZ or driving 5km past where you need to go. I just tell them Mai pen rai bad luck for you and leave the door open if they guy is a real douchebag. I was lucky one time because I opened the door as a moto cut in between the stalls and smacked the door. The Taxi cab driver of course made a scene (One block off Sukumvit) and told the bike driver to decide the price of damages they both should get. Long story short bike rider "Mai pen rai No problem" waied and that was it case closed walked away no "farang jackpot". I always look when I open a car door here because that day I know I walked away from 1-3k baht in damages.

cool story bro

200 baht equals approximately 4 and a half Euros. A German paying anything less than ten euros for such a trip in Germany would be lucky indeed. While this is not Germany, the foreigners come here expecting everything for cheap and to push people around, just like that German just pushed the tuk-tuk driver to the ground because there was an argument. We don't have the whole story, because as was noted, the German couple were drunk, it is possible they are putting themselves in a much better light than they have behaved, and the Tuk-tuk driver cannot be located because 200 baht is not an incredibly high price to pay for a taxi ride in the rain in the middle of the night.

So what you want to say is - if you are drunk and don't behave - we beat you to death ??? Don't know where you come from - but disputes like this are usually settled in a civilized manner. If this does not work the police is called! No matter if there was an argument or some pushing - to beat up people and kick them until they are unconscious is surely not the answer.

The authorities there are in on every scam - which seems to work fine until one of the "suckers" ....ahem tourists .... refuses to give in to their

extortion.

We all know the Phuket Taxi /Tuk-tuk mafia thugs - this is not the first time they got violent - I don't know why people still go there ? After my last visit - I rented a car instead of putting our party into the hands of these thugs - we had already been warned in advance about this "Mafia".

There where still to many other "unpleasant" incidents throughout our stay - starting right at the airport after arrival. So we never go back there again. Oh by the way one in our party was Thai - he was the first to say - Phuket ? "never again!"

Phuket has managed somehow to assemble a crowd of unfriendly (let me rephrase that - friendly as long as you pay their extortionist prices!) , greedy individuals in the tourism industry - paired with corrupt, greedy authorities - who don't care about anything than to rip you off for as much money as possible.

There are plenty of other beautiful places in Thailand and in the region for a beach holiday - that's why my mother, sister and friends are going to Vietnam after visiting Chiang-Mai this December. They have all been to Phuket before - and told me once is more than enough - after all when they go home they want to tell their friends what a wonderfull time they had on their well deserved vacation!

What they had to say about Phuket last time after they returned home - was not so nice.

disputes like this are usually settled in a civilized manner. If this does not work the police is called!

That's not how life works in most countries where police are just another gang and a duel might be considered civilized.

Violence like this should not be tolerated regardless of the amount in question. If the authorities don't crack down then Phuket isn't safe. You cannot just kick the shit out of somebody because you lost face and expect to get away with it.

Not a whole lot the authorities can do in a case where nobody is capable/willing to ID the perpetrators. You're basically SOL - and so is society because the thugs continue to rule.

Edited by venturalaw

I don't know if I am more tired of reading always the same story about tuktuk drivers in Phuket or by the fact that Thai-visa loves sharing those informations that will only end up by having a flood of comments on how tuktuk drivers are mafia, how corrupted is the police, how can one be stupid enough to believe that government will do something etc...

News are quite often the same and comments are quite often similar.

heheheeh So true, and the tourist was drunk. Best wishes to the tourist hopefully he will have a speedy recovery.

You are physic as you predicted.

Tuktuks: agree on a price beforehand, pay the agreed price, and there are no problems.

Except when the want to jack the price up before the agreed destination of the journey.

Sadly this is often the case. I have read so many posts advising 'agree the price before starting the journey', that's sound advice, but what do you do when then price is much more than you agreed on arrival. That's a tricky situation, as seems to have happened to the unfortunate German man. I have read reports on another web site that he agreed to the 100 baht price, then 200 baht was demanded. I have no idea if that report is true, but it's often the case that the agreed price turns into price per person.

It perhaps could be curtailed some if future victims paid whatever price is demanded (extorted), act friendly and take a photo of the tuktuk driver, and then post it in a new TV thread entitled "Phuket Tuktuk Drivers to Avoid". There would be little concern of a lawsuit because they are basically mafia and therefore would prefer to stay out of the courts.

Edited by venturalaw

I can't believe you guys are hanging it on the German simply because he was drunk. What are you a bunch of social engineers? The Thai tuk tuk driver and his mad weapon wielding gang hold the majority of the responsibility for this incident surely. Sound like a bunch of bloody *****. Root cause is the tuk tuk mafia clear and clean.

Then please explain to me why after more than a decade of using Tuk tuks, I have never had a single problem. Never a cross word, never an attempt at bumping up the price after we've got there? Why is it tens of thousands of people can use them without a problem, but once or twice a year someone will get a whack? Explain please.

How do you know this guy knocked the tuktuk guy down ?? Because the tuktuks said so ?? Because the Pol Major made such a big deal about it (how is it the pol major knows with such certainty what happened the first time, so much so that they intend it seems to charge the German, yet has no CCTV / witness / or other data at all to what happened moments later in the same place ?? Odd that).

We now have the wife on record as saying she paid.. And she had the miss understanding and gave a thai type price.. And that she didnt witness the guy push the driver down..

So you're going to right off everybody elses account of what happened, and put all your faith in to what the bokes wife said. :D She won't be bias much will she. :whistling: I remember you telling stories about you and your mates being drunk and fighting with tuk tuk drivers, because they wouldn't take you to the top of the big hill you lived on, so I will reiterate my opinion. If you are not drunk, and you aren't a <deleted>, then you will never have any problems with tuk tuks. In fact the drunk bit has got nothing to do with it, just not being a <deleted> is enough. ;)

I can't believe you guys are hanging it on the German simply because he was drunk. What are you a bunch of social engineers? The Thai tuk tuk driver and his mad weapon wielding gang hold the majority of the responsibility for this incident surely. Sound like a bunch of bloody *****. Root cause is the tuk tuk mafia clear and clean.

Then please explain to me why after more than a decade of using Tuk tuks, I have never had a single problem. Never a cross word, never an attempt at bumping up the price after we've got there? Why is it tens of thousands of people can use them without a problem, but once or twice a year someone will get a whack? Explain please.

Perhaps you are lucky. What is your authority that "tens of thousands of people" can use them without a problem? Are you suggesting that the news report is fiction?

The one and only time I used a tuktuk in Phuket I asked the fair to the nearest mall/shopping center. I had no idea where I was, or how far it would be. I was quoted 200 baht. My Thai wife and I agreed, and were then taken virtually around a corner to a mall. I'm betting if we had asked anywhere else in Thailand we would have been told that the mall was within walking distance. But not in Phuket.

Tuktuks: agree on a price beforehand, pay the agreed price, and there are no problems.

Except when the want to jack the price up before the agreed destination of the journey.

Sadly this is often the case. I have read so many posts advising 'agree the price before starting the journey', that's sound advice, but what do you do when then price is much more than you agreed on arrival. That's a tricky situation, as seems to have happened to the unfortunate German man. I have read reports on another web site that he agreed to the 100 baht price, then 200 baht was demanded. I have no idea if that report is true, but it's often the case that the agreed price turns into price per person.

I seriously don't believe this happens, except to LivinLOS going up the hill 10 years ago. I have also heard that the agreed upon price in the case of the unfortunate German was 200 Baht, but on destination he refused to pay the agreed upon price.

:D I just mentioned that, didn't realise someone had already brought it up. I agree with you fully. If you are sober enough to make the driver 100% sure that you have agreed a price, he is very unlikely to change it. The fact the bloke wouldn't let someone else pay the extra money, proves to me he was playing up and didn't want a peacefull solution to the problem. He wanted to pay what he thought was a fair price and that's not how it works.

Edited by Logician

OK well if you choose to believe it or not.. it happens and not as some once in a blue moon chance either.

Have an unusual or out of the way destination, and no matter how clear the discussion. They just demand more.. Or your dumped in the dark... And still expect full agreed payment.

The thing is 'LivinLOS', you knew from experience that they didn't want to drive you up that hill, yet you never did anything clever to fix the problem, instead choosing to wake all your neighbours up fighting in the street at 4am. :annoyed: All you had to do is negotiate a price to the bottom of the hill, and then negotiate another 50/100 baht to the top once you had got there. It would cost you the same price give or take, and it would remove any chance the driver had to go back on his deal to take you to the top.

For some people the easy, peacefull solution to problems is of no interest. After all, what would you have to moan about if you did every thing the easy way. ;)

a bit more appreciation of the tourist dollar perhaps if you want to be cynical.

Of course there is, because there is a fraction of it about, because a fraction of the amount of people want to go there. Things are priced at prices people are prepared to pay. Anyone denying Phuket is a hugely busy, popular tourist destination is a bufoon.

How many people on this thread have actually been to Phuket and used Tuk tuks? I bet it's way less than half. So what does that mean. It means we have a huge amount of people that have nothing to go on but what they hear on forums like this. They then swallow it all up, and regurgitate back on to forums like this.

For all you people who applauded this post and automatically assumed it was hard evidence that proved beyond doubt how bad the tuk tuks are, here is a more accurate look at the list.

Link 1 is a story that mentions a well known case about a french man, and a well publicised case about a canadian. Both attacked, one very badly.

Link 2 is a question from someone who has never been to phuket, and gets some good advice as to how to avoid problems.

Link 3 Is a link to the same article in Link 1. :whistling:

Link 4 is a link to the same article in Link 1 & Link 3. :whistling:

Link 5 is a petition based on the attack on the French man mentioned in Link 1, Link 3 & Link 4. :whistling:

Link 6 is about how good taxis are in Singapore. :blink:

Links 7 & 8 are just general articles about how they plan on improving Tuk Tuks. No stories of particular events.

Link 9 is a link to a TV thread about the French attack mentioned in Link 1, Link 3, Link 4 and Link 5 :lol: . The story is dated from 2009 by the way.

I'm bored now, so you will have to take my word that the theme continues. A few more of the well known incicents but mainly just old TV threads about nothing, some dating back to 2005. :o There has only ever been a small handfull of serious, news worthy attacks on tourists by Tuk tuk drivers, I would say between 5 and 10 but probably nearer 5. Tell me any tourist destination in the world that wouldn't have the same handfull of horror stories.

The truth about tuk tuks, as the list above shows, (9 links, 4 of them about the same story from 2009), is that the nasty attacks are very few and far between. It is true to say that they are far from perfect. They are expensive compared to the rest of Thailand, but not compared to other tourist destinations that have as many visiters as Phuket does. They do stop the running of a bus service which is a shame for the people who would like and use one. They will beat the crap out of you if you are drunk, violent and refuse to pay.

The truth is that most people who come on to forums to moan about them have never stepped foot inside Phuket. They just swallow every piece of crap that's fed to them like this nonsence list above.

If you don't have the brains to come to Phuket and use tuk tuks without getting in to a fight, like most of us do, then stay at home. ;)

How many people on this thread have actually been to Phuket and used Tuk tuks? I bet it's way less than half. So what does that mean. It means we have a huge amount of people that have nothing to go on but what they hear on forums like this. They then swallow it all up, and regurgitate back on to forums like this.

For all you people who applauded this post and automatically assumed it was hard evidence that proved beyond doubt how bad the tuk tuks are, here is a more accurate look at the list.

Link 1 is a story that mentions a well known case about a french man, and a well publicised case about a canadian. Both attacked, one very badly.

Link 2 is a question from someone who has never been to phuket, and gets some good advice as to how to avoid problems.

Link 5 is a petition based on the attack on the French man mentioned in Link 1, Link 3 & Link 4. :whistling:

Links 7 & 8 are just general articles about how they plan on improving Tuk Tuks. No stories of particular events.

Link 9 is a link to a TV thread about the French attack mentioned in Link 1, Link 3 and Link 4. The story is dated from 2009 by the way.

I'm bored now, so you will have to take my word that the theme continues. A few more of the well known incicents but mainly just old TV threads about nothing, some dating back to 2005. :o There has only ever been a small handfull of serious, news worthy attacks on tourists by Tuk tuk drivers, I would say between 5 and 10 but probably nearer 5. Tell me any tourist destination in the world that wouldn't have the same handfull of horror stories.

The truth about tuk tuks, as the list above shows, (9 links, 4 of them about the same story from 2009), is that the nasty attacks are very few and far between. It is true to say that they are far from perfect. They are expensive compared to the rest of Thailand, but not compared to other tourist destinations that have as many visiters as Phuket does. They do stop the running of a bus service which is a shame for the people who would like and use one. They will beat the crap out of you if you are drunk, violent and refuse to pay.

The truth is that most people who come on to forums to moan about them have never stepped foot inside Phuket. They just swallow every piece of crap that's fed to them like this nonsence list above.

If you don't have the brains to come to Phuket and use tuk tuks without getting in to a fight, like most of us do, then stay at home. ;)

Who would have ever thought the Taxi mafia in Phuket could afford a public relations rep? You honestly believe there is only a small amount of crime committed against farang? Every single person I know who has lived here over a year has had one or another bad thing happen to them(stabbed,robbed,attempted rape,assault strong arm robbery,accidents,hit and runs,shake downs) These are normal people not hooligans or idiots. A lot of the people I meet traveling are duped by the Tuk-tuks near the grand palace I feel like a broken record when I talk to them Free tuk tuk ride "check" palace closed until noon "check" overpriced suit "check" charming river cruise to see slummy houses for 1k a person "check" I have met at least 5 different groups of people and individuals that have had at least one of those things happen.

If you've lived here a decade, why don't you have your own car? Surely you or someone you know can be the designated driver if you're not capable of driving. It would be much cheaper to have your own car than to pay for a tuk tuk to and fro each day. BTW, how do you get around every day besides taking a tuk tuk seeing as how you said you have taken tuk tuks for 10 years? That must be expensive hiring a tuk tuk for 10 years day in and day out. Surely you're not a tourist based on your responses of taking these safe, air conditioned fully licensed vehicles for 10 years running.

In regards to the once or twice a year whack, change that to per week ( per reported incident)s and you will be closer to the actual truth. Don't tell me you're BTB reincarnanted :).

>>Why is it tens of thousands of people can use them without a problem,

Are you kidding? I am in front of a tuk tuk stand a few days a week after enjoying the beach and there are problems with a quite a few people daily, it's only the serious incidents that get reported.

Who would have ever thought the Taxi mafia in Phuket could afford a public relations rep? You honestly believe there is only a small amount of crime committed against farang? Every single person I know who has lived here over a year has had one or another bad thing happen to them(stabbed,robbed,attempted rape,assault strong arm robbery,accidents,hit and runs,shake downs) These are normal people not hooligans or idiots. A lot of the people I meet traveling are duped by the Tuk-tuks near the grand palace I feel like a broken record when I talk to them Free tuk tuk ride "check" palace closed until noon "check" overpriced suit "check" charming river cruise to see slummy houses for 1k a person "check" I have met at least 5 different groups of people and individuals that have had at least one of those things happen.

Every body you know has been raped, robbed, stabbed etc etc? Are you sure you want to stick to that story? You don't know anyone that hasn't had a trouble free experience in Phuket? You sound just like 'Livin LOS'. his friends used to get guns pulled on them every day. :o

So why in that very long list you thought was genius, was there only 3 or 4 incidents mentioned in over 50 links? Why was 4 of the first 9 links, the exact same article about the same story. Which happened to be the most famous and violent attack ever, back in 2009?

Link 9 is a link to a TV thread about the French attack mentioned in Link 1, Link 3, Link 4 and Link 5 :lol: . The story is dated from 2009 by the way.

Yours is post no 260 on this subject and the best post so far and you are very right sir and I salute you :jap:

As soon as one incedent happens, people goes off like a rocket. Ohh what a dangerous place I better stay home and bla bla. Okay this is bad but not something you see every day (or year maybe?).

I lived 3 years on the beautiful Phuket some 5 years ago and used them now and again, no problems.

If you've lived here a decade, why don't you have your own car? Surely you or someone you know can be the designated driver if you're not capable of driving. It would be much cheaper to have your own car than to pay for a tuk tuk to and fro each day. BTW, how do you get around every day besides taking a tuk tuk seeing as how you said you have taken tuk tuks for 10 years? That must be expensive hiring a tuk tuk for 10 years day in and day out. Surely you're not a tourist based on your responses of taking these safe, air conditioned fully licensed vehicles for 10 years running.

In regards to the once or twice a year whack, change that to per week ( per reported incident)s and you will be closer to the actual truth. Don't tell me you're BTB reincarnanted :).

Are you kidding? I am in front of a tuk tuk stand a few days a week after enjoying the beach and there are problems with a quite a few people daily, it's only the serious incidents that get reported.

More than a decade of using Tuk tuks, does in no way imply I have used them every day. The English language is a beautiful thing when understood. ;)

Have you ever had a problem with them personally?

More than a decade of using Tuk tuks, does in no way imply I have used them every day. The English language is a beautiful thing when understood. ;)

So I guess I'll imply. You've been to Phuket off and on for 10 years, don't live here, and once in a while you take a tuk tuk. Does that about sum it up or have you spent more than 180 days here per year for the past 10 years? Yes English is beautiful especially for those that can't be very concise nor answered what was asked of them in a prior response :)!

Edited by LivinginKata

Yours is post no 260 on this subject and the best post so far and you are very right sir and I salute you :jap:

As soon as one incedent happens, people goes off like a rocket. Ohh what a dangerous place I better stay home and bla bla. Okay this is bad but not something you see every day (or year maybe?).

I lived 3 years on the beautiful Phuket some 5 years ago and used them now and again, no problems.

Thank you. You will be in the vast minority agreeing with me though. People decide what they want to believe and then they run with it, not matter what the truth is, and regardless of there lack of first hand experience. That long list is a perfect example of an exaggerated, irrational, hatred for a problem that just isn't as bad as people want it to be. I would love to know the true numbers about how many people on this thread have actually been to Phuket, and how many people are regurgitating the same nonsence they've been fed, like a demented sheep. I think the numbers would tell us every thing we needed to know.

For some people that list was conclusive evidence, yet they didn't even bother to open a single link and read it for themselves. :(

Does that about sum it up or have you spent more than 180 days here per year for the past 10 years?

On average it won't be far short of 180 days per year. ;)

How do you think that compares to the average person contributing on this thread? More time in Phuket and in TT's than them or less?

Seeing as most people probably haven't even been to Phuket, and a some won't have even been to Thailand before, :D I would say I'm OK to have an opinion, don't you?

ain

You didn't answer the question. :whistling:

Many times. Every time I go to park in a free area close by their area, they say " no cannot tuk tuk only" Now why don't you answer all my unanswered questions? What are you afraid of, they're innocent questions that will either give you credibility or take away your nonsense defense of these illiterate thugs.

Perhaps you are lucky. What is your authority that "tens of thousands of people" can use them without a problem?

The number of tourists that flood through the airport every day and leave 2 weeks later with a big grin on their faces, making plans for their holiday here next year.

Compared to the 5 or 6 well known cases of assault by TT drivers, half of which were probably instigated by a belligerent Farang.