BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies

The Mrs just started this a couple of weeks ago. Anybody have any ideas what colour I should paint the walls :D

I call this BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies as I don't want to spend a fortune on a house that will be purely used for when we go up to the village for a couple of days at a time.

I haven't seen it yet but going up next week. It's difficult living in Saudi and trying to keep control of ideas etc. The wife and daughter came over last month when the schools finished in Saudi and she was only supposed to be doing the footings and waiting till I got there, so that i could approve the size and shape. But with the money I sent her she has got this far (her brothers are builders). Hope the rest of the build goes the same way but I can't see it :D

post-19542-0-95003600-1314674683_thumb.j

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I call this BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies as I don't want to spend a fortune on a house that will be purely used for when we go up to the village for a couple of days at a time.

Yeah, that's what ours started out as, then when it was finished I liked it so much we spend more time there than in Bangkok.

Yeah, that's what ours started out as, then when it was finished I liked it so much we spend more time there than in Bangkok.

Perhaps we should have a 'Partially Finished House' thread for those who don't want to maintain a fully fledged housebuilding thread, anyone want to start it :)

The Mrs just started this a couple of weeks ago. Anybody have any ideas what colour I should paint the walls :D

I haven't seen it yet but going up next week. It's difficult living in Saudi and trying to keep control of ideas etc. The wife and daughter came over last month when the schools finished in Saudi and she was only supposed to be doing the footings and waiting till I got there, so that i could approve the size and shape. But with the money I sent her she has got this far (her brothers are builders). Hope the rest of the build goes the same way but I can't see it :D

Shit, dont no what happened my reply just vanished, lets try again.

None of my business, I see you say budget house, this is just an observation.

Why is there no concrete beam at the top of your colums?

This means the steel roof beams are going to be welded to the rebar on your columns.

Are the coulums able to support the weight of the roof, what happens when the roof beams start to expand and contract?

The only reasons I can think of are, ignorance on the part of the builders, they just copy what everyone else in the area is building, or ignoarance on the part of the people having the house built.

The other reason is money, the budget set by the people having the house built, or as a money saving measure by the builders to maximise profits.

IMHO this design is a future problem waiting to happen, I would pay the extra and have concrete beams in place.

Others with a better understanding may be able to offer a logical explanation, comments or guidance.

This means the steel roof beams are going to be welded to the rebar on your columns.

Are the coulums able to support the weight of the roof, what happens when the roof beams start to expand and contract?

The only reasons I can think of are, ignorance on the part of the builders, they just copy what everyone else in the area is building, or ignoarance on the part of the people having the house built.

The other reason is money, the budget set by the people having the house built, or as a money saving measure by the builders to maximise profits.

IMHO this design is a future problem waiting to happen, I would pay the extra and have concrete beams in place.

Others with a better understanding may be able to offer a logical explanation, comments or guidance.

As I say, I haven't physically seen it yet, going up in a few days. I'll be asking various questions when I do. But the reason I say budget, is because albeit I haven't set a budget, I don't want to build a multi million baht pad in the boonies of which i have absolutely interest in living. It's just not for me but each to their own. For our permanent residence, we're considering somewhere like Bang Saray, due to the schools mainly but I also quite like the area. That's probably where the multi million baht will be spent.

As for the builders. They are the wifes brothers, so if they do a sh1t job, it is on their head. They have built more houses in the area than you can shake a stick at and to date haven't had any problems, so we will have to see. We are paying for the materials and just giving them some money for the days they work. They really don't have a reason to try and rip us off and we are just buying the materials they tell us to get. I'm no builder and so therefore will have to trust in their knowledge.

I think it depends on what type of roof the OP is having, I had to have concrete beams and extra steel because we were using CPAC roof tiles, but most locals use the fibre roof tiles on these type of houses which don't weigh so much.

Perhaps we should have a 'Partially Finished House' thread for those who don't want to maintain a fully fledged housebuilding thread, anyone want to start it :)

But it's finished crossy. I'm just gonna throw a big mosquito net over it. :D

I think it depends on what type of roof the OP is having, I had to have concrete beams and extra steel because we were using CPAC roof tiles, but most locals use the fibre roof tiles on these type of houses which don't weigh so much.

I'm not structural engineer, but I don't think concrete ring-beams are required on such a simple and low-cost structure. There could be a bit of cracking as the columns flex but Thailand isn't known for its large temperature variations, now if it was in Korea things may be different (-15 to +35C)

Thanks for setting this up Crossy. Now I'll have to maintain it :D

Well, I might as well give a bit of background information.

The plot is about 3.5 Rai, about 30 mins outside of Chaiyaphum and it's full of Mango trees. Some are more mature than others but all are producing fruit. About 3 years ago we cleared some out to make way for a driveway up to the house site and cleared some more for the house to be built on. At the same time we also had trucks and trucks of soil delivered to raise it up from ground level. As I say, this has been settling for 3 years now, so that should be fine.

It's going to be a 3 bed bungalow with 2 baths (1 en-suite). Apparently, the kitchen which is going to be part Thai/Euro will be added to the back of the house later!! Don't know why, probably to keep the smells out of the main house. :blink:

Now to the crux of the thread and the budget. I haven't really set a budget but the whole intent was not to go for a top notch dwelling, as mentioned that build will be elsewhere. This was about building a cheap holiday home that we can have a little bit of comfort in when we visit the family.

Upto now and not including the land cost as this was already the wifes, the total spend has been 86k baht. That is getting it from the digging of the foundations, to completing some of the roof as shown in the picture above. The picture is how the Mrs left it on Friday last and nothing else has been done till I go up later this week. For info, I am paying 250 baht each per day for the workers (brothers). Now that is cheap as chips and they are a good bunch.

Hopefully I'll keep this up to date but spending 3 or 4 months at a time in Saudi will slow things down.

Hopefully I'll keep this up to date but spending 3 or 4 months at a time in Saudi will slow things down.

Ouch! And I thought 5 weeks at a time in Incredible India was hard, somehow comforting to know there are others worse off :)

Ouch! And I thought 5 weeks at a time in Incredible India was hard, somehow comforting to know there are others worse off :)

I console myself with not having to pay any tax. :D

Actually, I quite like it, we have a good family life.

MR B please keep updating your outgoings on your project as things move along... this is what im interested in to find out the actual cost of a build... Most people dont tell you for some unknown reason,, we are all friends here with nothing to hide whether its a 10 mill build or a 1 mill it doesnt really matter... much appreciated

I have to agree with some of the observations here, it looks as though it's going to be a really light weight roof and for sure not CPAC. Also, the pitch on the roof looks like it's really shallow which means there's going to be a strong build up of heat in the roof void unless large air vents are installed. As for costs: we built an 85 sq meter, three bed house on family owned land, about five years ago - CPAC roof, two storey - finished cost was just over 500k baht, my original posts on this subject is till on the forum if anyone wants to check.

MR B please keep updating your outgoings on your project as things move along... this is what im interested in to find out the actual cost of a build... Most people dont tell you for some unknown reason,, we are all friends here with nothing to hide whether its a 10 mill build or a 1 mill it doesnt really matter... much appreciated

Will do.

I've just ordered the soil for the in-fill and that is 600 baht a truck and 7 trucks are needed. I'm also going to order the remaining metal work needed for the roof, just waiting on the quote.

I'm then going up on the 5th and as it will be my first viewing, i will no doubt have some changes. For instance, the 2 bits that stick out at the front were going to be a balcony with steps in the middle. I'm going to level that all off and have the right hand side as part of the bedroom. The rest will be a balcony with the steps now coming forward. I'm also going to see if I can extend the roof so that it slopes down over where the new position of the steps will go. No big problem if it can't, it's just for additional shelter when walking up the steps. If that makes sense. Cos it didn't to the mrs :D

I have to agree with some of the observations here, it looks as though it's going to be a really light weight roof and for sure not CPAC. Also, the pitch on the roof looks like it's really shallow which means there's going to be a strong build up of heat in the roof void unless large air vents are installed. As for costs: we built an 85 sq meter, three bed house on family owned land, about five years ago - CPAC roof, two storey - finished cost was just over 500k baht, my original posts on this subject is till on the forum if anyone wants to check.

Cheers for the input chiang mai.

I'll look at the pitch when i get there. This design is based on one of the wifes friends who had hers built by the wifes brothers a couple of years back. We've done some tweaks to the original drawings, as mentioned above. The original roof was just a straight up and down (don't know the technical terms) but as we are having the two extended bits at the front, these are having two smaller roofs of their own that go into the main roof (should be visible in the picture), so it should be ok !!

BTW.

Anybody got any recommendations as to the best way to dispose of waste water. I.E. for water and waste from the toilet and for grey water from the sink, wash basin etc. :jap:

A septic tank.

Keep the photos coming.

Do you mean put all the waste water into one septic tank? Thought you could seperate and use washing up water etc from the waste from the toilet. Otherwise the septic tank will get filled up quicker. Also, I thought the bleach and washing up liquid killed off the bacteria that you need to eat the sh1t.

Off up there tomorrow to see for the first time and to get some more work done.

BTW.

Anybody got any recommendations as to the best way to dispose of waste water. I.E. for water and waste from the toilet and for grey water from the sink, wash basin etc. :jap:

A septic tank.

Keep the photos coming.

Do you mean put all the waste water into one septic tank? Thought you could seperate and use washing up water etc from the waste from the toilet. Otherwise the septic tank will get filled up quicker. Also, I thought the bleach and washing up liquid killed off the bacteria that you need to eat the sh1t.

Off up there tomorrow to see for the first time and to get some more work done.

Make sure the septic tank has an overflow, you have plenty of land there so shouldnt be a problem.

You should use two septic tanks, one for black water and one for the gray water. As you mentioned, the chemical waste would kill the bacterias if the two drains were fed to one and the same septic tank.

You should use two septic tanks, one for black water and one for the gray water. As you mentioned, the chemical waste would kill the bacterias if the two drains were fed to one and the same septic tank.

And make sure they are fairly easy for the waste truck to get to.. next door neighbor of the gf's had one put in at the back of the house then built an extension which blocked access.. now he has to pay extra for a more powerful pump truck as the pipe goes over the roof of the extension..lol

Yes, or a double chamber septic with the grey water feeding directly into the second chamber and thence to the leech-field / soakaway.

In reality most homes we've looked at feed grey water (sink, shower, washing machine) directly to whatever soakaway or main drainage is available.

Yes, or a double chamber septic with the grey water feeding directly into the second chamber and thence to the leech-field / soakaway.

In reality most homes we've looked at feed grey water (sink, shower, washing machine) directly to whatever soakaway or main drainage is available.

Cheers chaps.

If anybody has any pictures of this process, please feel free to post them on here. :jap:

Cheers chaps.

If anybody has any pictures of this process, please feel free to post them on here. :jap:

This is basically how they work

http://genesbackhoeservice.com/index.php?p=1_5_Septic-System-FAQ

Most modern tanks have two chambers rather than setting up two tanks.

But both work. Basically everything goes into the first chamber or tank...Liquid rises & goes to 2nd chamber or tank & then out through a distribution box (just a intersection for pipes) then distributed into leach lines.(Pipes with holes on top)

As for the drain fields ...Some folks do elaborate fields as shown & others nothing much if they already have good drainage where they

plan to bury the leach lines.

Just dont plant trees near by or the roots will seek the water & clog the leach lines drain holes.

What you mentioned about sink,washer etc. drain water going to a gray water system is always a nice idea. It saves the septic from working so hard.

Some folks put gray water through a sand filter & use it to water plants or even flush toilets if your on a catchment or water conservation area. Hey its just soapy water :)

septic_systems_diagram.jpg

tank-diagram.jpg

Edited by flying

I am been involved in several building projects up country, my last one not far from you. Figure on about US$25 to $30 per sq ft finished in a 3 star manner semi farang style. Thats no air conds and no fancy kitchen stuff. We use a builder that does it turn semi key for us. Now a few years ago a freind build a 80 sq mt house 3 star style and bought all the materials. Labour was about Bhat 65,000 to build the house.

Many thanks stgrhe and flying. Looks pretty simple. :jap:

Digging will be cheap @250 baht per day but how much are the tanks?

Not sure in Thailand what they cost Mr B

In the US they have gotten kind of pricey

Where they use to be 800 usd or so they are now double that.

The ones they use here look like this & are 1000-1200 gallons

2 compartments as described previously

post-51988-0-25295700-1315166033_thumb.j

But my guess is they are way cheaper in Thailand...of course :)

You know if your property has good drainage & if it is allowed?

Many States allow cesspools if you have more than an acre of land & your

not near sea level.

As you probably know a cesspool is nothing more than a 6' diameter hole 12' or more deep.

If it is rock your going through all they do is cap it with a concrete roof

10-12" thick & recessed flush

at the ground level with a inspection cap/plug for any future pumping if needed ( never needed if you have good drainage)

If the hole is dirt instead of rock they ring it with hollow tile or rock so it does not fall into itself.

Your right about septic systems though. They are quite simple.

The Tank...The distribution box ...The leach lines set at a slight downhill angle to leach.

The leach lines are just 4" PVC pipes with holes drilled on top at roughly 10 & 2 o'clock

Edited by flying