BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies

This is a photo of our two septic tanks, the gray water tank to the left and the black water tank to the right. The vertical pipe in the front is the breading pipe for the main house.

02-SewerPipesfromMainHouse.jpg

I forgot to point out that the connections to the septic tanks use flexible hoses to allow for movements without bursting the pipes. It is not shown in the picture, but the flexible hoses are covered by metallic sheets for protection.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The leach lines are just 4" PVC pipes with holes drilled on top at roughly 10 & 2 o'clock

You mean drilled on the bottom at 5 and 7 o'clock?

If you drill them on the top, then the pipes become 'collectors' of ground/rain water, not dispersers of the grey water. They need to be laid in aggregate/gravel to ensure that the holes do not clog up with earth.

Simon

Cheers for the tips chaps.

Flying, it's 3.5 rai and would have plenty of space. I also don't think there are any restrictions on it but I think I will go with the tanks. Seems neater and cleaner and I sippose running a pipe 500 yards from the house would have it's issues, especially the cost.

I've just ordered the soil for the in-fill and that is 600 baht a truck and 7 trucks are needed. I'm also going to order the remaining metal work needed for the roof, just waiting on the quote.

Good news. It was 550 baht per truck.

Bad news. I needed 30 trucks not 7. :lol: However, in fairness, the 7 trucks were originally just to infill the house. I did some additions in building up the levels to the front, driveway, sides and back. Shouldn't need much more, if any, to complete the build.

The remaining metalwork for the roof was 15,000 baht. I'll talk about the roof later, as I have caused some headaches with my alterations. That's what we are there for eh :D

Went today and to be honest I'm really happy with the way it's going. Her brothers are top guys and seem to do a good job. I started to help but only lasted 30 minutes before throwing the "no work permit" card in and resorted the "left a bit, right a bit"role. Jeez those guys are fit. I was especially impressed with their welding. I'm no welder but my brother can weld and I know a good seam weld when I see one.

I only got back to the Hotel half an hour ago and I'm gagging for a pint. But I took some piccies and will load them later this week.

The leach lines are just 4" PVC pipes with holes drilled on top at roughly 10 & 2 o'clock

You mean drilled on the bottom at 5 and 7 o'clock?

If you drill them on the top, then the pipes become 'collectors' of ground/rain water, not dispersers of the grey water. They need to be laid in aggregate/gravel to ensure that the holes do not clog up with earth.

Simon

Sorry my bad....Yes they are faced down.

Typing too late & fast I guess :)

Cheers for the tips chaps.

Flying, it's 3.5 rai and would have plenty of space. I also don't think there are any restrictions on it but I think I will go with the tanks. Seems neater and cleaner and I suppose running a pipe 500 yards from the house would have it's issues, especially the cost.

Yes Mr B. running a drain pipe 500 yds would be a problem

stuff needs to flow downhill.

Plumbers standard is a quarter inch drop per 12 inches of run

500 yds translates to a very deeply buried pipe at the end of the run :)

Good luck on the house project sounds like an exciting time

Edited by flying

Do you mean put all the waste water into one septic tank? Thought you could seperate and use washing up water etc from the waste from the toilet. Otherwise the septic tank will get filled up quicker. Also, I thought the bleach and washing up liquid killed off the bacteria that you need to eat the sh1t.

You should use two septic tanks, one for black water and one for the gray water. As you mentioned, the chemical waste would kill the bacterias if the two drains were fed to one and the same septic tank.

And make sure they are fairly easy for the waste truck to get to.. next door neighbor of the gf's had one put in at the back of the house then built an extension which blocked access.. now he has to pay extra for a more powerful pump truck as the pipe goes over the roof of the extension..lol

"two septic tanks" = yes! but there is no need for any pumping ever if the system is properly planned. Mr B has all the space needed for a drain field.

Cheers flying. It's all a bit wierd for me actually. I'm a bit of a control freak (ex project manager albeit not in construction) and I like to plan, plan and plan and be there at least on regular occasions. This has all been done and planned initially without me even seeing it. Even now I have only seen it over a 2 day period and I'm trying to slow the Mrs down, so I can have time to think.

The concrete base has been poured today and she is trying to press me into getting the walls built but I haven't yet decided on the best positions of the windows. Below is a rough sketch of the layout and where she wants the windows. I'm a bit concerned that there aren't any at the front, so any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

I can't get my SD card to work in the laptop at the moment but I'm back in Saudi wednesday, so I'll post some pics I took last week.

post-19542-0-10379900-1315644868_thumb.j

• Like 1

Is the sketch in a north to south position?

Keep in mind that a Thai will not sleep with his/her head in the west direction, hence to room layout should preferably account for that, and also, you may not like to have too much sun exposed window area in the south direction.

• Like 1

Is the sketch in a north to south position?

Keep in mind that a Thai will not sleep with his/her head in the west direction, hence to room layout should preferably account for that, and also, you may not like to have too much sun exposed window area in the south direction.

Not sure of the direction to be honest. But the Mrs was adamant about the bed being in the direction that it is in the sketch. I wanted it at the opposite end of the room but it was a no, no.. WRT the windows, I just feel it may look a bit bland looking at it from the front and not seeing any windows, only the front door. Maybe I'm being a little picky.

Got the SD card reader working.

This one is from the road directly at the front of the house. We'll obviously have some landscaping to do but I don't think it looks too bad at the minute. I plan to have a biggish fish pond at the front.

post-19542-0-92591400-1315722401_thumb.j

And this one is to the left. We had to remove several well established Mango trees to make way for the site of the house and the driveway.

post-19542-0-59546000-1315722418_thumb.j

This one is taken from the rear of the property. To the left is bed 2 and to the right is bed 3 on the sketch I posted above. The extra spoil at the back is where the kitchen and bathroom will be built. These will be built as a sort of "lean too" to the main house and have a seperate roof. It looks like we will be almost completing the main living and sleeping areas before starting this area. Not sure yet, this is more of a "winging it" project. Against my principles but hey, let's fall in-line with the Thai way eh!! :D

post-19542-0-42589100-1315723121_thumb.j

Cheers flying. It's all a bit wierd for me actually. I'm a bit of a control freak (ex project manager albeit not in construction) and I like to plan, plan and plan and be there at least on regular occasions. This has all been done and planned initially without me even seeing it. Even now I have only seen it over a 2 day period and I'm trying to slow the Mrs down, so I can have time to think.

The concrete base has been poured today and she is trying to press me into getting the walls built but I haven't yet decided on the best positions of the windows. Below is a rough sketch of the layout and where she wants the windows. I'm a bit concerned that there aren't any at the front, so any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

I can't get my SD card to work in the laptop at the moment but I'm back in Saudi wednesday, so I'll post some pics I took last week.

What I would change:

- change bedroom 2 into bathroom, maybe add a door from bedroom 1 in the bathroom

- make the front door the double size, door(s) with glasfillings and maybe a "frame" left and right from the door also with glasfillings

- put the kitchen on the other (right side on your plan) and put bedroom 2 near bedroom 3

- move your inside kitchen door to the left ( in your plan), at the moment, you have all doors from front to back in one row that's an absolute Fengshui-killer

Wish you good luck!

Another thing you might like to consider is to put in a bay window in the living room to break the "boxy" look of the house.

Chonburiram's recommendations are worth considering but instead of an additional room between the master bedroom and the bathroom (i.e. former bedroom 2) I think a walk-in wardrobe would be a better option.

Cheers for the ideas gents. Definately consider the bay window and love the idea of the double front door with the glass blocks. That should definately break up the boxxy look. I'll also move the internal doors so they aren't in a straight line, it's well early enough in the build to incorporate those. Unfortunately, it's too late to move the bathroom as the concrete slab was laid a few days ago. To dig out for the pipework would be too difficult now.

Many thanks for the input :jap:

Yes Mr B take your time & plan now even though you have your foundation you can still adjust layout if you like.

I would agree with you on the main room having more window/ventilation.

Also just an opinion but that main room is long & narrow also looks to be the same size as the porch.

I would be tempted to either reconfigure the rooms or steal some porch for the main room. Unless of course you folks

spend a large amount of time on the porch.

The only other thing I would say is when I design homes I do not like the bedroom or bathroom doors opening to the main living areas.

I tend to layout for small meeting areas/blinds where the room doors face. I do not use long halls mind you as that is a waste.

Do you have a few children? If not you could also reconfigure to a 2 bed & gain space for any rooms you like?

Good Luck it is an exciting time & stressful too at times but you have a beautiful lot/property there.

Enjoy

Yes Mr B take your time & plan now even though you have your foundation you can still adjust layout if you like.

I would agree with you on the main room having more window/ventilation.

Also just an opinion but that main room is long & narrow also looks to be the same size as the porch.

I would be tempted to either reconfigure the rooms or steal some porch for the main room. Unless of course you folks

spend a large amount of time on the porch.

The only other thing I would say is when I design homes I do not like the bedroom or bathroom doors opening to the main living areas.

I tend to layout for small meeting areas/blinds where the room doors face. I do not use long halls mind you as that is a waste.

Do you have a few children? If not you could also reconfigure to a 2 bed & gain space for any rooms you like?

Good Luck it is an exciting time & stressful too at times but you have a beautiful lot/property there.

Enjoy

Cheers flying.

The long narrow room to the front right is the main bedroom (mine) and is about 3.5m wide by 7 m long. It's the only one that will have AC and I'll probably spend alot of time in there :D

The "L" shaped room is the living and dining area and will go out on to the balcony, where we will spend quite a bit of time. I wanted a decent size balcony. Bedroom 3 is where the wifes dad will sleep, he's about 83 and it will be only a studded wall ;) we only have one child and hers is bedroom 2.

As you point out, all the doors will definately open into the rooms and not into the living area and I've decided that I'm gonna add a window to the front of the house.

Cheers flying.

The long narrow room to the front right is the main bedroom (mine) and is about 3.5m wide by 7 m long. It's the only one that will have AC and I'll probably spend alot of time in there :D

The "L" shaped room is the living and dining area and will go out on to the balcony, where we will spend quite a bit of time. I wanted a decent size balcony. Bedroom 3 is where the wifes dad will sleep, he's about 83 and it will be only a studded wall ;) we only have one child and hers is bedroom 2.

As you point out, all the doors will definately open into the rooms and not into the living area and I've decided that I'm gonna add a window to the front of the house.

Hi Mr. B

Sounds good.

By not opening into main rooms though I did not mean door swing direction, I mean the door opening itself.

When I said blinding the openings without halls I meant something like this for instance...

Not a suggestion for your house but just to explain the door thing.

I built this for someone but ended up moving the bath to the center of the two rooms & squaring off the entry to the back bedroom.

Basically you cannot see into the rooms from the main living areas. No real halls just a meeting area of doors.

Sounds like you have a good idea on the window up front.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Good luck

post-51988-0-56377400-1315893918_thumb.j

Done a few ammendments to the plan.

Moved the front door to the left a tad. It will probably be a double door with the glass blocks at each side. Not too sure yet whether to centralise it or not. I think I'll go and look at some doors and mess around with the positioning etc.

Moved the living room window to the front of the house and one of the main bedroom windows is now over looking the front balcony.

Moved the kitchen door to the left hand side, where you will walk out onto another balcony which will also serve as a small thai kitchen for the smelly stuff. The size isn't to scale on the drawing but you get the idea. This will also be easier access to the garage which will be to the left of the property.

Is this an improvement? It's starting to feel a bit better to me and I'm glad I've halted works for a short while to give me time to think.

post-19542-0-42985600-1316352175_thumb.j

Looking good Mr. B !

Good that you are taking the time now to adjust what you want.

As you see you do like your changes.

Walk through the house with your eyes closed & see if you want anything else done.

Your changes are nice so far & good you are thinking about your entry door too.

Just my opinion/questions but... Do you think your area is hot enough that you may leave your

front door open during the day? Perhaps with a screen door on the outside?

If so maybe you would not want to move your door to the center as you asked.

Reason being when open all day it takes up wall/room space.

As your door now sits...if you leave it at a nice single door even with side lights,

you can have the door swing open to the right & rest against the bedroom wall.

Usually the deciding factors between a single or double entry door for us is size of main room the doors enter into.If the room is quite large double doors look good. If the room is not large double doors can make the room look small & take away valuable space.

Kitchen door & porch looks good. Thinking ahead to garage location & access is excellent.

Perhaps more natural light/windows in the kitchen?

Good idea to layout any counters/cabinets you plan now & see where you would like light.

For instance a window centered over a sink?

Chok Dee

Edited by flying

Haven't built any houses myself but one thing that I think is over looked in most houses is plug sockets. Placement & number. Especially in thai houses there are never enough & they are in the most stupid places.

I like having sockets on every wall & about a foot above floor level, easy for lamps but also for extension cords & multi plug extenders, nothing more unsightly than a 5 plug adapter hanging off a wall cause the only socket in the room is at eye level.

Make sure your builder knows what you expect before you leave again, you could come back to one socket in each room at head level & have to run a huge multi plug socket off of it with wires all over the place.

Plans look good though, good luck with it all.

stgrhe....just curious but...I thought the type of outlet you have on the right can accept the plugs that go in the outlet on the left.

The one on the right takes both the 2 pin or two blade type plugs afaik

Or does the one on the left accept a special plug?

Thanks

Edited by flying

stgrhe....just curious but...I thought the type of outlet you have on the right can accept the plugs that go in the outlet on the left.

The one on the right takes both the 2 pin or two blade type plugs afaik

Or does the one on the left accept a special plug?

Thanks

True, but then there is no protective earth and unless an appliance is double insulated I surely like mine to have protective earth.

Haven't built any houses myself but one thing that I think is over looked in most houses is plug sockets. Placement & number. Especially in thai houses there are never enough & they are in the most stupid places.

I like having sockets on every wall & about a foot above floor level, easy for lamps but also for extension cords & multi plug extenders, nothing more unsightly than a 5 plug adapter hanging off a wall cause the only socket in the room is at eye level.

Make sure your builder knows what you expect before you leave again, you could come back to one socket in each room at head level & have to run a huge multi plug socket off of it with wires all over the place.

Plans look good though, good luck with it all.

Cheers Boo.

I'm right with you on the sockets and having lots of them.

The builders are the wifes brothers. We order what we need over the phone from the builders merchants and the wife sends the money to her brother to pay the bill on delivery. We will order all the electrical stuff for when we get back in jan/feb and I will be going around fixing the backplates/boxes to the wall in the location I want the lights/sockets and TV aerial outlets to be.

Looking good Mr. B !

Good that you are taking the time now to adjust what you want.

As you see you do like your changes.

Walk through the house with your eyes closed & see if you want anything else done.

Your changes are nice so far & good you are thinking about your entry door too.

Just my opinion/questions but... Do you think your area is hot enough that you may leave your

front door open during the day? Perhaps with a screen door on the outside?

If so maybe you would not want to move your door to the center as you asked.

Reason being when open all day it takes up wall/room space.

As your door now sits...if you leave it at a nice single door even with side lights,

you can have the door swing open to the right & rest against the bedroom wall.

Usually the deciding factors between a single or double entry door for us is size of main room the doors enter into.If the room is quite large double doors look good. If the room is not large double doors can make the room look small & take away valuable space.

Kitchen door & porch looks good. Thinking ahead to garage location & access is excellent.

Perhaps more natural light/windows in the kitchen?

Good idea to layout any counters/cabinets you plan now & see where you would like light.

For instance a window centered over a sink?

Chok Dee

Cheers for the food for thought flying :jap:

The front door is giving me an headache. But I have the time to think about that one. Like the idea of it opening against the wall, it does get hot in Chaiyaphum

More natural light in the kitchen was also on my mind but was afraid of having too many windows and not enough wall to put cupboards on.

Talking of windows. Any advise on windows would be greatly appreciated. Wood or Alluminium, Double or single glazed, costs etc. I have asked the wifes brothers to only brick up to window level, where there is a window on the plan (kitchen isn't an issue, as construction hasn't started there yet).

The idea is to then try and buy the windows off the shelf and brick around them, rather than bricking up and leaving a window space and having to have the windows made to measure. Will this be a cheaper way or will they be the same price off the shelf or made to measure?

Talking of windows. Any advise on windows would be greatly appreciated. Wood or Alluminium, Double or single glazed, costs etc. I have asked the wifes brothers to only brick up to window level, where there is a window on the plan (kitchen isn't an issue, as construction hasn't started there yet).

Wood is beautiful but it is a nightmare when it comes to maintenance. With uPVC or aliminium you basically get what you are paying for, there are some very good brands but they cost more. Personally I favour good quality uPVC frames using tinted tempered glass. About 40% tint reduces the heat transmission quite a lot. Double gazing is of course better but using that together with aluminium frames is a waist since aluminium is a very good heat conductor.

With regards to insulation you have to take an over-all view of the build, not only focus on one part. Remember the weakest link on the chain determines the strength of the chain. Building the walls using dual layer of super blocks, CPAC Monier's double-coated roof insulation, uPVC window frames and tinted single glazing will carry you a long way.