Bank Accounts

Hi all,

I figure I should open a bank account to get my pay put into so I don't have to pay the commission everytime I cash a cheque.

Plus if I don't have the money in my wallet I'm less likely to spend it :)

So are there any banks or accounts that are better than others?

eg. No or lower fees, easy to transfer money to and from Australian bank accounts, discounts/perks etc.

Or ones that should be avoided?

My work uses Ayudha Bank if that makes any difference...

thanks,

Rich

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a problem with bangkok bank.in Ban Kruat.Possibly is the worst bank branch in the world. So many of us who live in Ban Kruat . have suffered enough. We have closed our accounts ,and moved to Kasikorn bank in PlaKhon Chai, about 25 kms .up the road. We travel to do our banking,happily, to a bank that gives us service.

Kasikorn tends to be one of the more farang friendly banks, has a good reputation (which someone will no doubt attempt to trash momentarily) and has excellent internet banking facilities - you should check them out and I think you'll be pleased.

I have no experience with other banks but I have opened an account with Kasikorn Bank and although the opening procedure took some time I am very happy with Kasikorn so far. I had ATM access immediately, internet access within 6 hours and I have transferred money from Australia today and they processed it very quickly and the charges were very reasonable. So far so good :rolleyes:.

what about other Banks such as TMB, Siam Commercial (refused to open an account years ago without work permit, but Kasikorn did), Siam City Bank, Krung Thai ? Any good nowadays ? online-banking available ? or still need work permit for everything ?

How long did the transfer from Australia take?

I assume you did it yourself on the internet.

The deal was booked at 1102 29.08.11 and was in the Kasikorn account at 1122 30.08.11. Pretty good and minimal fees.

And yes I did it completely online.

Edited by kmar92

The problem is, if you are not in a BIG city ,you do not have the choice of banks. In Ban Kruat -we have one bank , bangkok, and they are SO bad.So bad , That we are very happy to drive 25 kms. to bank with Kasikorn. I won't bore with the 6weeks of hassles i had opening an account with bangkok, rather to tell you that at Kasikorn ,it took me less than 10 minutes ,before I had a Pass Book in my hand.

My account is with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Saen, took about 15 minutes to open it. Got the passbook and ATM card.

Waited a while for the on-line banking to be set up, had to chase them about that, but all working fine now.

There's a board in the branch that says 'non-resident' accounts don't bear interest so I assumed that I'd been given that kind of account, being a foreigner and all, but no, I get interest!

(I got 8 satang :lol:)

The manager was very helpful, the Bangkok Bank contact I got from this site has also been extremely helpful and I have to say that I'm very happy with the service, much better than what I'm used to in the UK.

I transfer money (from the UK) on-line and it takes about 7 hours.

Many thanks kmart92.

afarang, I'd certainly drive 25kms to a decent bank, it's nearly that to the AEON ATM I use anyway from where I live. I usually multitask and do a bit of shopping etc.

The reason I asked about the transfer is that sometimes I need to draw out more than 20,000B which is the maximum the ATMs will pay out in a day.

Subsequently each additional 20k involves an extra trip to the ATM. :annoyed:

We have a problem with bangkok bank.in Ban Kruat.Possibly is the worst bank branch in the world. So many of us who live in Ban Kruat . have suffered enough. We have closed our accounts ,and moved to Kasikorn bank in PlaKhon Chai, about 25 kms .up the road. We travel to do our banking,happily, to a bank that gives us service.

Smart move, unfortunately the Thais probably didn't even notice or were happy for you to move....

The reason I asked about the transfer is that sometimes I need to draw out more than 20,000B which is the maximum the ATMs will pay out in a day.

Subsequently each additional 20k involves an extra trip to the ATM. :annoyed:

The 20,000 limit is per transaction,

I've taken out 20,000 and then put my card back into the same machine and taken out another 20,000.

I've done this twice - when I paid cash for my motorcycle and camera.

Obviously you get hit with the 150 baht fee each time.

This was before I discovered the Aeon ATM and I was using SCB (I think) and the blue, orange and white bank so maybe Aeon has a daily limit of 20,000.

Thanks to all for the info. I might check out Kasikorn. They have a branch near me I think.

Edited by Riggi

Sorry, my reply was poorly worded.

Australian banks will only allow one transaction a day, you can go to ten ATMs and only one will pay out, once.

Even over the counter they will only allow 20,000B.

It's a real pain.

Sorry, my reply was poorly worded.

Australian banks will only allow one transaction a day, you can go to ten ATMs and only one will pay out, once.

Even over the counter they will only allow 20,000B.

It's a real pain.

I used my UK debit card to withdraw money at the ForEx desk in BKK Bank and there was no limit, as long as funds were in my account I could withdraw.