Bank Accounts

Riggi

I'll try here and see if I get the info: For a Swift transfer from Canada to Bank of Bangkok Chiang Rai, I need a tax #? Now is this a tax number for me? or the bank? If the bank, where can I find it on my bank book? If for me, well I don't have one and would prefer not being taxed on my money by canada and again by Thailand :lol: .

Thanks guys

Almost certainly that's your tax number that's required, a pretty sneaky way of ensuring residents don't try to hide their money overseas I guess.

I went to Kasikorn first and they told me it was 700 baht for an ATM card and then 500 baht per year. It seemed a bit steep so I went to Kungsri and their charges for an ATM card are "only" 300 baht per year. [/size][/font]

Hadn't heard of that one before, that's going to cost them business if they don't change, haven't heard of any other bank with that charging structure, bummer. But as you say, you can always change later if it doesn't suit.

A friend of me is having a rather prominent position at this bank and I told him about your comment.

Could you please specify exactly what was told to you and why you think that it will cost them

business and give an estimate of the losses they will suffer by this policy?

Thanks for willing to contribute to a possible benefit of all foreigners in Chiang Rai!

Limbo :yohan:

Fees for credit cards are common in many European countries, so it's not surprising that fees are also payable in Thailand. KBank offers several credit cards, monthly fees are waived if you you use the cards. Interest rates are high on the entry level cards. On the high value cards interest is waived if you repay in full within a cetain period. Also the high value cards have incredibly good benefits, eg a recent offer was Apple IPAD 2 for 1900 baht, and I've had hotel discounts of 90%.

Well I ended up opening an account with Kungsri.

I went to Kasikorn first and they told me it was 700 baht for an ATM card and then 500 baht per year. It seemed a bit steep so I went to Kungsri and their charges for an ATM card are "only" 300 baht per year.

So I figured I'd try them out and if I have any problems might consider switching at a later stage.

I went to Central so it was easy to walk around to the different banks and check each one out.

Thanks for all the info.

Cheers,

Rich

Kasikorn Bank has a number of different debit and credit card types with different fees. The fees for the standard ATM (debit) card is 100 baht at issue plus an annual fee of 200 baht.

Sophon

Well someone should let Kasikorn at Central know...

Although it isn't unusual to be charged different amounts at the same place depending on the day/server. Why should a bank be any different...?

I'll stick with Krungsri for now, but if I decide to change I'll try to chase up that 200B per year offer.

thanks,

Rich

Well someone should let Kasikorn at Central know...

Although it isn't unusual to be charged different amounts at the same place depending on the day/server. Why should a bank be any different...?

I'll stick with Krungsri for now, but if I decide to change I'll try to chase up that 200B per year offer.

thanks,

Rich

They were probably trying to sell you one of their other card types, follow the link in my mail to their web site if you want to research the different card types and fees.

I would be surprised if the annual fees for the cards isn't charged automatically by the system, so they most likely wouldn't be able to charge a "non standard" fee even if they wanted to.

Sophon

I have account with Bangkok Bank, they provide outstanding service and are very farang friendly. Plus if you are a US citizen, the bank has a branch in New York City that takes direct deposit for minimum fee. My retirement check comes directly to Thailand. I withdraw what I need and transfer the rest over to an savings account, and can withdraw and further funds with my ATM card. What you want is to minimize all overhead costs and have your money available 24/7. Bangkok Bank has my vote. I also have Kasikornbank for my automatic bill pay. Internet/phone, Sat TV, Water and Electric are taken out automatically every month, because I travel, it is very convenient. Cheers....

I have account with Bangkok Bank, they provide outstanding service and are very farang friendly. Plus if you are a US citizen, the bank has a branch in New York City that takes direct deposit for minimum fee. My retirement check comes directly to Thailand. I withdraw what I need and transfer the rest over to an savings account, and can withdraw and further funds with my ATM card. What you want is to minimize all overhead costs and have your money available 24/7. Bangkok Bank has my vote. I also have Kasikornbank for my automatic bill pay. Internet/phone, Sat TV, Water and Electric are taken out automatically every month, because I travel, it is very convenient. Cheers....

Yes, I was aware of the New York Bangkok bank and checked but it is the same "Swift" transfer from Canada to there, so opted for direct to CR. They do have a great service for US Citizens using that bank. Guess they don't like Canada, far to stable and boring eh!!!!